PDA

View Full Version : The Odney Club, Cookham.

DynamoTom
16-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Hi there,

I've been booked here for a Wedding Reception in July 2013 and I've never been to the venue before. I was wondering if any of you guys/girls have and what are your experiences of the venue? Easy load in and out? Set up area size? Sound limiter? Smoke alarms?

The address of the venue -

The Odney Club,
Odney Lane,
Cookham,
SL6 9SR

Cheers,

Tom.

Sapphire Disco
16-10-2012, 09:43 PM
The car park is on the other side of the river you have to take your gear across on a small floating pontoon , unfortunately the function room is four stories up but there is a narrow spiral stair case leading to a long 3ft high corridor.
The caretaker takes strict control of the sound anything above background he pull your plugs out , main lights have to be left on at all times and you have to be packed down and out within 15 minutes of the end but other than that it's a breeze ;)

DynamoTom
17-10-2012, 02:28 AM
The car park is on the other side of the river you have to take your gear across on a small floating pontoon , unfortunately the function room is four stories up but there is a narrow spiral stair case leading to a long 3ft high corridor.
The caretaker takes strict control of the sound anything above background he pull your plugs out , main lights have to be left on at all times and you have to be packed down and out within 15 minutes of the end but other than that it's a breeze ;)

Thank you for that!

Sound's like a nightmare!

#wishing I hadn't of taken this booking now

wensleydale
17-10-2012, 06:13 AM
Isn't this the John Lewis residential club?
Give them a call- sure they will help.
R

Sapphire Disco
17-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Thank you for that!

I'm just winding you up of course and I'm really not sure now whether you worked that out, so maybe the jokes on me now :)
I'm sure it's a great place but you have lots of time to go and have a look for yourself which is the best thing to do.

DynamoTom
17-10-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm just winding you up of course and I'm really not sure now whether you worked that out, so maybe the jokes on me now :)
I'm sure it's a great place but you have lots of time to go and have a look for yourself which is the best thing to do.

Thank god for that!

I am aiming to do a site visit within the next couple of months.

itruby
18-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi Tom,

I worked at the Odney club for the second time last September, as far as I know it has not changed.
Carpark is driectly outside, although there is an overflow carpark you may have to use over the road from the venue if you are not there before the wedding.
You can pull up directly outside the main doors and load in your kit. Depending upon where you are it could be an 80m walk.
The first time was a larger function with a band and they had the whole room opened out and had a large stage installed opposite the bar (quite a way back from the bar though)...Stage was probably 6x4
The second time they had partitioned off a section of the main room for the disco, it was all closed off so I could set up while the guests ate in peace.
The first time as there was a band, we used my colleagues EV Phoenix Rig - 2x PLX215 (twin15" cabs) and 2x PL2181 (twin 18" subs) all eq'd etc, barely tickled them.... Massive overkill, but I was just setting up lighting and plugging into the Phoenix :-) Just clarified with my colleague - that was what he used (he runs a PA hire company and does live events) - his exact words were "Yes and far too big for the venue".... :-)
Second time I used 2x EV ELX115P (Live-X Active 15" tops 1000 watts each) and one EV ELX118P - was never asked to turn up or down so guess it was just right...... Stage was was either 4m Wide x1.5m deep or 4x2 not sure but plenty to get up two speakers on tripods, A DSB and two powerdrive with 3M bar up top and not run out of room.....
No noise limiter when I was there, but the staff are really friendly so I would give them a ring, they will be able to let you know...
Not sure on smoke regs, I never bother asking unless the client specifically requests one...
If I missed anything feel free to give me a call - PM me and I will send you my number.....
Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ian Truby

DazzyD
18-10-2012, 12:38 PM

Thank you for that!

Come on, Tom. You really didn't click on you were being teased??? :whoosh:

itruby
18-10-2012, 01:25 PM

Sapphire Disco - talking of car park on other side of river: ever played at Monkey Island? If so before or after they put the bridge in ;-)

Sapphire Disco
19-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Sapphire Disco - talking of car park on other side of river: ever played at Monkey Island? If so before or after they put the bridge in ;-)

Hi Ian no never played at Monkey Island I was meant to about 3 years ago but the wedding was cancelled.

The reason I was pulling Toms leg was I couldn't help thinking he just wanted to tell us he had a gig at a posh sounding club more than anything else , although thinking about it I've done similar when the question is asked what you doing this weekend , if I've got something good I answer if I'm slumming it I say nothing :o