PDA

View Full Version : SCOTTISH Venues with Sound Limiters

Shaun
28-10-2012, 12:59 PM
If you know of any venues in Scotland with sound limiters please post them below. Any additional details such as placement / sensitivity (if you know) would also be beneficial.

Please also post any venues that specify you must use their in-house system.

Many thanks. :)

Mark Wild
28-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Hamilton Racecourse, you have to use their heavily restricted sound system, not a venue I'll be in a hurry to go back to because of this, great management and staff though.

djdave01
29-10-2012, 09:14 AM
St Clair Tavern in Kirkcaldy has one

Also the King Malcolm Hotel, Dunfermline, although its only ever been sent to monitor when ive been there.

Shaun
29-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Ednam House Hotel - Kelso

Upon arrival no mention is made of a sound limiter. It's placement is to the far right of the DJ setup area, and not noticeable at all at first glance. Sensitivity is very bad. It's one of those Blue Box limiters. As soon as it touches into the red it kills the power. No warning indicator and no few second delay to give you time to lower the level.

Shaun
04-11-2012, 03:33 PM
I used to a few a year in the venue below, mainly as it's one of the very few venues with a 250 capacity in the area.

Buckhaven Community Centre

I stopped taking bookings about 4 years ago for here. The mic/limiter is directly above the bar area. All you need is a few people congregating around the bar and the limiter lights up redder that a shady district of amsterdam. There's no way of bypassing the limiter either.

-----

Keep them coming folks. Post any you are aware of below. Thanks. :beer1:

haverer
04-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Stamperland Bowling Club (Glasgow Southside), Bearsden Ski Club (worst sound limiter ever!).

Excalibur
19-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Stamperland Bowling Club (Glasgow Southside), Bearsden Ski Club (worst sound limiter ever!).

Craig, thank you for your input. It's appreciated, and will be a big help to anyone unfortunate enough to be asked to perform in such venues.

May I urge you to pop across to the Newbies section, and introduce yourself. We're a nosey bunch, and like to know a bit about who we're conversing with. :) Thank you.

Nightowl Discotheques
20-11-2012, 10:15 AM
If you know of any venues in Scotland with sound limiters please post them below. Any additional details such as placement / sensitivity (if you know) would also be beneficial.

Please also post any venues that specify you must use their in-house system.

Many thanks. :)

Markie Dans Pub Oban very sensitive ( crowd noise triggers )

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
06-12-2012, 09:46 PM
St Andrew's in the Square

I've not DJ'd here but played with a band a while back and even with electric drums so we could play very reasonably, it tripped.

djdave01
08-01-2013, 10:24 AM
The Windlestrae hotel in Kinross has a limiter but it seems to be set very high.

I had a pair of mackie srm450's running just below clip level with 100 guests, and the limiter was barely regestering at all :)

I wasnt using a sub that night though, that might make a difference.

phazelton78
26-01-2013, 12:01 AM
The volunteer rooms in irvine, nice big room, recently refurbed but limiter mic right above the stage, even clapping can set the light off, not as bad as it used to be though as when they refurbed it they lowered the ceiling.

soundmaster mobile disco
16-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Thistle hotel milnathort

Collydean neighbourhood centre

Shaun
19-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Carberry House, Edinburgh

Anybody played in the marquee there and have any info on the Sound Limiter they have installed?

little al
19-01-2014, 11:55 AM
I have never come accrss a limiter in Aberdeen. To be fair though, most of my gigs are in one venue, they keep me busy.

leelive
19-01-2014, 01:22 PM
No sorry. I have played small gigs inside.
I am in the Marquee in September so will be interested to hear about this too.
Lee

Shaun
20-01-2014, 03:02 PM
No sorry. I have played small gigs inside.
I am in the Marquee in September so will be interested to hear about this too.
Lee

I spoke to a lady from there today. They don't allow bands in the marquee due to noise issues, and have directional speakers installed which they insist on the DJ hooking into. SHe said she'd have the manager call me later this week to provide further information.

Another venue on my. "avoid like the plague!" list

leelive
20-01-2014, 03:23 PM
I spoke to a lady from there today. They don't allow bands in the marquee due to noise issues, and have directional speakers installed which they insist on the DJ hooking into. SHe said she'd have the manager call me later this week to provide further information.

Another venue on my. "avoid like the plague!" list

Oh dear.
I better visit to have a look at that before I go there in Sept... as i'll be singing that night too

Thank for the info.

soundmaster mobile disco
01-02-2014, 08:39 AM
The royal scots club abercromby place Edinburgh

sound limiter beside stage,it was not to bad to be honest

Shaun
24-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Oh dear.
I better visit to have a look at that before I go there in Sept... as i'll be singing that night too

Thank for the info.

Might be a good idea to visit beforehand.

I spoke with the customer about the pitfalls of sound limiters. He took the advice on board and decided to have the reception in the main building itself instead of the marquee. Result.

leelive
24-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Might be a good idea to visit beforehand.

I spoke with the customer about the pitfalls of sound limiters. He took the advice on board and decided to have the reception in the main building itself instead of the marquee. Result.

Thanks. I will do.