PDA

View Full Version : Deposits & Booking Fees

Ricesnaps
19-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Does anyone else have problems extracting booking fees from clients?

It seems all my latest clients are struggling to realise that I can't confirm there booking unless I have there fee paid. I always state that a booking is only confirmed when I recieve the fee (and paperwork I hope) and that if someone else requests the date and pays before them they loose it. I am even very very generous and offer them 7 days grace where i will turn away work and keep the date for them.

However I was on my third round of emails this morning chasing up clients who haven't paid. Why on earth is this and how do the rest of you get over this?

spin mobile disco
19-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Never had this problem myself, I have had a problem with an agency based in midlands who still hasnt paid me money owed after 6 weeks ( i mention no names) But with clients I always put on contract that payment of deposit is required in 2 weeks to confirm booking or date will not be held.

Danno13
19-10-2006, 06:33 PM
I give 14 days grace.. but if i were to ever get another enquiry i'd call the origanal booker just to make sure. I recon 7 days might be a bit short, a lot of wedding bookings take a while to decide the first dance and other music request which make up sections of my booking form, so sometimes it takes longer than 14 days for the forms to come back.

Only once have i never had a contract come back.. this was a year or so ago and i didn't have the guy's number to chase it up.. taught me a lesson though!

On the contracts i've been sending out for weddings next year, i've changed the terms to ask for full payment two weeks before rather than just cash on the night. I'll be interesting to see how hard this is to make work. Also, i accidentally used one of the new revised contracts for a booking in November, the client just sent a cheque for the whole amount back with the booking form!

Corabar Entertainment
19-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Similar to you Rice, if they make a provisional booking we will hold the date for a set period but after that period the date is released.

You will always get some who make a provisional booking who don't go on to confirm, and there are always a couple who take a little more time than they should, but the vast majority sort themselves out in time! :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-10-2006, 06:56 PM
I don't take provisional bookings.

People either book or they don't with me.

It saves a lot of chasing around too.

I take apporoximately 25% advance payment and then the balance is payable a minimum of 7 days before.

I do find that a lot of people just send the whole amount if the booking is within a couple of months of me confirming.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Never had this problem myself, I have had a problem with an agency based in midlands who still hasnt paid me money owed after 6 weeks ( i mention no names)

You won't be giving them an A+ for quick payment then, will you.

This (https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp) maybe of use to you.

Corabar Entertainment
19-10-2006, 07:21 PM
I don't take provisional bookings.

People either book or they don't with me.

It saves a lot of chasing around too.

I take apporoximately 25% advance payment and then the balance is payable a minimum of 7 days before.

I do find that a lot of people just send the whole amount if the booking is within a couple of months of me confirming.Darren - so how do you take the bookings as I know you don't take debit / credit cards?

For example - someone phones up, says they would like to book, you send them paperwork. The following day, someone else phones up & wants the same date (let's assume you only have one 'slot' left). By the very nature of the beast, the caller who phoned yesterday cannot have paid their deposit and sent you the paperwork, so they have not 'booked'.... so do you tell the 2nd caller that you are booked already? (in which case you are treating the 1st caller as a provisional booking)

Not being awkward.... genuinely interested :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Darren - so how do you take the bookings as I know you don't take debit / credit cards?

For example - someone phones up, says they would like to book, you send them paperwork. The following day, someone else phones up & wants the same date (let's assume you only have one 'slot' left). By the very nature of the beast, the caller who phoned yesterday cannot have paid their deposit and sent you the paperwork, so they have not 'booked'.... so do you tell the 2nd caller that you are booked already? (in which case you are treating the 1st caller as a provisional booking)

Not being awkward.... genuinely interested :teeth:

Verbal agreement.

When people are interested, I ask them whether they would like to book and for me to take all the details and then send them the contract.

This comes back within two weeks from the client confirming the booking.

Other bookings that come in are always filled - I've never got to the point where I run out of DJs.

People who ask me to hold the date are told that I wil only pencil them in the diary and need to confirm within a couple of days.

As I said, I just don't do the 'provisional' thing unless it's a regular Hotel etc

So, it's fairly black and white with me. People who have had a contract sent are 'booked' as such 'cos as I mentioned, I very rarely have had people not sending them back.

I do impress on the people if they are being sent a contract it's not just to have a look at and then decide - it's to confirm the booking.

This stops people messing about and wasting my time etc.

I know you'regoing to say that until they sign the contract and send it back, that it's not really binding, but as I've mentioned, I don't think, certainly in the last 10 years that I've not had one come back.

Clear as mud? :teeth:

Ricesnaps
19-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Verbal agreement.

When people are interested, I ask them whether they would like to book and for me to take all the details and then send them the contract.

This comes back within two weeks from the client confirming the booking.

Other bookings that come in are always filled - I've never got to the point where I run out of DJs.

People who ask me to hold the date are told that I wil only pencil them in the diary and need to confirm within a couple of days.

As I said, I just don't do the 'provisional' thing unless it's a regular Hotel etc

So, it's fairly black and white with me. People who have had a contract sent are 'booked' as such 'cos as I mentioned, I very rarely have had people not sending them back.

I do impress on the people if they are being sent a contract it's not just to have a look at and then decide - it's to confirm the booking.

This stops people messing about and wasting my time etc.

I know you'regoing to say that until they sign the contract and send it back, that it's not really binding, but as I've mentioned, I don't think, certainly in the last 10 years that I've not had one come back.

Clear as mud? :teeth:
This is exactly what we do - someone phones, asks to book, we say no problem, fill out the forms - now available to download from our website in a vain attempt to speed things up and then wait for the deposit. The very problem I have is that I am not getting the deposits in a timely fashion. Not taking provisional bookings at all, simply being fair and giving the client time to return the fee and the paperwork. But lately not getting it in time - what do you do, take another booking should it come in?

Shaun
19-10-2006, 08:30 PM
I've never had a problem with booking fees, I guess I've just been lucky?. I don't offer a 'grace' period either. Potential clients are always informed that without a signed contract and booking fee then the date is available to the first person that books (returns signed contract and fee). Usually it's enough to hurry them along if they are serious about booking.

alexperrins
19-10-2006, 08:34 PM
I think I might have to be a bit more strict on my contract/compliments slip as I've been waiting for quite a few deposits for over 14 days recently.

pagan_flame
19-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Why on earth is this and how do the rest of you get over this?I email them an invoice as a Word file attachment, take PayPal for the deposit. Surprising how many of 'em use it - the PayPal fees on a 50 quid deposit are less than it would cost me in fuel to drive into Cambridge and put the cheque into the bank.

I do charge them £5 extra if they pay the balance by PayPal though...

Danno13
19-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Pagan.. take a look at a program called "broadgun" it lets you save word documents etc. as PDF files.. so no-one can edit them and people without word can read them. :)

DK Karaoke
19-10-2006, 10:09 PM
With me, its also black and white. I give the client 5 working days, from receipt to get the booking fee to me, with the booking form/contract. No booking fee no gig, so offer it to others. I only blank out dates when I have the money. I sometimes have 4 or 5 clients running at the same time, but dont get double booked, as luckly I have access to enough available DJ's to do the work.

I do find though that sometimes I feel like an agency. Is that how agencies start???

DK Karaoke
19-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Further to my previous post.

I usually email the booking form, as dont have it on the site yet, still under construction.

I also send it in PDF format, with a link to the Adobe site, where they can download the reader, just in case they dont have Adobe. By the way, I have the full version of Adobe Premier, so can convert all my documents to PDF, bought it for £12.00 over the net. If you were to buy it from a shop, you are talking £hundreds, I think.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Pagan.. take a look at a program called "broadgun" it lets you save word documents etc. as PDF files.. so no-one can edit them and people without word can read them. :)

Or this one http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Simple and free.

CRAZY K
19-10-2006, 10:47 PM
SET A DEADLINE---one of the principles of smart business.

AND STAND BY IT--confirm everything in writing.

I have had one recently like this--unusual--so I send e mail which says---if I dont have the money by next Monday then you leave me no choice other than to allow the booking to be offered to other clients.

You have to be hard or you get messed about.

Another strategy is to just say--oh someone else wants your date---even if they dont---do you definitely want it, if so please send the money by first class post etc etc.

You have to use your judgement---if it looks like a date no one else might book---then go a bit easier--if its New Years Eve on the other hand!

Now there was a Disco in the Midlands that did everything by credit card---that might be the answer--id give that idea A Plus!

HTH

CRAZY K

Have a disco
19-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Does anyone else have problems extracting booking fees from clients?

It seems all my latest clients are struggling to realise that I can't confirm there booking unless I have there fee paid. I always state that a booking is only confirmed when I recieve the fee (and paperwork I hope) and that if someone else requests the date and pays before them they loose it. I am even very very generous and offer them 7 days grace where i will turn away work and keep the date for them.

However I was on my third round of emails this morning chasing up clients who haven't paid. Why on earth is this and how do the rest of you get over this?

Please check my terms and conditions ricey paragraph 3 deals with this ISSUE

3. Please Note that whilst you are requested to sign and return this contract, failure to do so is not sufficient to cancel this contract or to disregard any of the terms and conditions contained within this contract. Therefore unless a written objection is received by this office within pm seven days from the date of issue the contract is assumed to be confirmed.

No more problems

DK Karaoke
19-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Do any of you ever find yourself loosing track of the importance of certain dates. Very recently, I made the mistake of taking a booking (Christmas week) and only charging the normal fee. Forgot it was Christmas week, but thankfully, its not Xmas eve, or New Years eve.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-10-2006, 10:52 PM
You got an office then Badger?:teeth:

Have a disco
19-10-2006, 10:52 PM
My office being my home as stipulated with in tax guidance rules n regs

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Do any of you ever find yourself loosing track of the importance of certain dates. Very recently, I made the mistake of taking a booking (Christmas week) and only charging the normal fee. Forgot it was Christmas week, but thankfully, its not Xmas eve, or New Years eve.

I don't put my prices up for December anyway, apart from NYE, so it wouldn't affect me.

Corabar Entertainment
19-10-2006, 10:53 PM

3. Please Note that whilst you are requested to sign and return this contract, failure to do so is not sufficient to cancel this contract or to disregard any of the terms and conditions contained within this contract. Therefore unless a written objection is received by this office within pm seven days from the date of issue the contract is assumed to be confirmed.

No more problems
Rubbish - unless they actually agree to something then it isn't binding.... you haven't got the basic legal principles required for a contract: offer & acceptance

First question: do you send all your post by recorded delivery?

CRAZY K
19-10-2006, 10:55 PM

No more problems

Would this be considered "fair" by the Office of Fair trading or under the "Unfair Contract Terms Act ???

Have you checked?

Easier to tell them they are not" booked anymore" I would have thought

CRAZY K

Corabar Steve
19-10-2006, 10:57 PM
My office being my home as stipulated with in tax guidance rules n regsThe whole building??

Have a disco
19-10-2006, 10:58 PM
very fair under CCJ rulings its classed a as a verbal agreement first. this would be the documentary half confirming it to be signed verifying the booking

and no just the main computer used area steve stop picking bones guys this has worked in county court and first class post is usually sufficient

DK Karaoke
19-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Rubbish - unless they actually agree to something then it isn't binding.... you haven't got the basic legal principles required for a contract: offer & acceptance

First question: do you send all your post by recorded delivery?

This is not acceptable language in any contract, no one in their right mind would sign this anyway, and as said it is not legally binding. Despite the fact that in certain circumstances "the absence of a signed contract, does not mean that a contract does not exist". This is the case with Employment Law etc. It would not apply in our case, as the client cannot be proved to have agreed to the terms in the first instance.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-10-2006, 11:01 PM
very fair under CCJ rulings its classed a as a verbal agreement first. this would be the documentary half confirming it to be signed verifying the booking

and no just the main computer used area steve stop picking bones guys this has worked in county court

Not picking bones Badger - don't forget this is a forum for discussion. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-10-2006, 11:02 PM
This is not acceptable language in any contract, no one in their right mind would sign this anyway, and as said it is not legally binding. Despite the fact that in certain circumstances "the absence of a signed contract, does not mean that a contract does not exist". This is the case with Employment Law etc. It would not apply in our case, as the client cannot be proved to have agreed to the terms in the first instance.

Did you quote the wrong person there?

I'm confused!

Have a disco
19-10-2006, 11:03 PM
a verbal agreement over the phone is binding as long as a documentary version follows within 7 days within the courts eyes and you have proof of the later the rest can be proven via you phone bill if itemised

My contract has held 3 times in county court with the backing of a good solicitor most people will back down as long as the required letters requesting payment are sent according to your terms and conditions?????

Danno13
19-10-2006, 11:03 PM
I've seen that term used in loads of contracts, infact i took something similar from another DJ's (with his permission of course) to use on my contract I send to other DJs covering gigs for me.

DK Karaoke
19-10-2006, 11:06 PM
a verbal agreement over the phone is binding as long as a documentary version follows within 7 days within the courts eyes and you have proof of the later the rest can be proven via you phone bill if itemised

Not sure about this, but anyway, what are we talking about here. Its not a million pound contract. It would cost you more to recover any lost fees.

DK Karaoke
19-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Did you quote the wrong person there?

I'm confused!

Was trying to quote the post you replied to. Agree with your statements, still not sure on ways of using the quotes in posts, etc.

Hope you not confused now.

Have a disco
19-10-2006, 11:09 PM
No something to generally keep the average person in line whom books a disco whom would not know basic law. let alone a complicated contract if flashed infront of there eyes which are 90% of clients. In general most just want a disco at what ever cost

Corabar Entertainment
19-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Presumably the reason you took someone to court was over the payment of your fee, is that correct?

DK Karaoke
19-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Agree they mainly just want a good disco, or karaoke night, but there are the few corporates, who will insist on strict contracts. Its always better to be safe than sorry.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Was trying to quote the post you replied to. Agree with your statements, still not sure on ways of using the quotes in posts, etc.

Hope you not confused now.

I am!

The post that Angela made, you mean?