PDA

View Full Version : ADJ Jelly Dome fixing?

ukpartydj
13-01-2013, 01:26 AM
Been looking at the Jelly Domes but there doesn't seem to be any obvious way of fixing to truss / T-Bar if any, anybody know if it comes with brackets or you need to source them separately?

Corabar Steve
13-01-2013, 08:13 AM
What sort of truss are you using?

DJ Jules
13-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Been looking at the Jelly Domes but there doesn't seem to be any obvious way of fixing to truss / T-Bar if any, anybody know if it comes with brackets or you need to source them separately?

You can get long drop Ultimax clamps which have a hole in the front of them as well as the bottom which work well with the brackets that come with the units. You can then mount them like this and they just drop over your truss/bar and face forward:

From memory you have to hunt carefully for the clamps now as the newer versions of these don't come with holes in the front and drilling the hole yourself would be near impossible without the right equipment! If I couldn't get these clamps I was going to use a short 90degree angle bracket from B&Q with a shorter drop clamp to achieve the same result.

Julian

P.S. The cable tie just stops the clamps from rotating if the wing nut comes loose. I'd recommend get a shake proof washer behind the wing nuts (I keep meaning to do this, but forgetting as the nuts don't come loose very often - and only in transit, not in use...)

ukpartydj
13-01-2013, 08:01 PM
You can get long drop Ultimax clamps which have a hole in the front of them as well as the bottom which work well with the brackets that come with the units. You can then mount them like this and they just drop over your truss/bar and face forward

Brilliant, I'm assuming the black bracket comes with the unit? I've never had any lights which don't have an adjustable bracket with the unit seems a bit odd for ADJ to have designed it this way.
Cheers for that - the lights seem to look great on pretty much every setup I've seen them on.

DJ Jules
13-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Brilliant, I'm assuming the black bracket comes with the unit? I've never had any lights which don't have an adjustable bracket with the unit seems a bit odd for ADJ to have designed it this way.
Cheers for that - the lights seem to look great on pretty much every setup I've seen them on.

Yeah, the black bracket comes with the unit. It is a weird set up and it takes a decent screwdriver and a spanner to get the black bracket on and off.

Julian

DJIanScott
14-01-2013, 06:59 PM
We use lots of these Jelly Dome units and we found the best way to attach them is to simply drill a horizontal hole through your goalpost/truss, bypassing the need for a hook or extra bracket. Just a wing nut and bolt through the bracket provided.

DJ Jules
14-01-2013, 07:15 PM
We use lots of these Jelly Dome units and we found the best way to attach them is to simply drill a horizontal hole through your goalpost/truss, bypassing the need for a hook or extra bracket. Just a wing nut and bolt through the bracket provided.

I wouldn't mind getting mine higher. How easy is it to get the bolt in and out though? Do you run the bolt through the bracket before you fix it to the Jellydome?

Julian

DJIanScott
27-01-2013, 01:49 AM
I wouldn't mind getting mine higher. How easy is it to get the bolt in and out though? Do you run the bolt through the bracket before you fix it to the Jellydome?

Julian

Yeah, put the bolt through the hole of the standard Jellydome bracket (no need to remove the bracket) before you offer it up to the stand. If you've just got a standard goalpost setup with the square metal frame then the wing nuts and bolts that are supplied with it will do the trick. We always leave the bolt attached to the light when packing away to save losing it.
I guess if you're attaching it to thicker bars (such as trussing) you'll need to source longer bolts and wing nuts. ScrewFix are brilliant for that kinda thing.
The good thing is that the light unit is higher, i.e. not hanging down from a bracket, but flush to the bar