PDA

View Full Version : Mates rates

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
25-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Do you do them? What's your policy on them?

Today I got a phone call from a close friend's parents asking if I'd do their Ruby. My mate is away working hence why he didn't ask me himself and I quoted her my standard mates rates price of £100.

I don't know his parents to the point I actually had to ask her their first names for my diary and it got me thinking that, when is it OK to not do mates rates?

It's not going to be a hard gig, it's just down the road and it'll be a nice crowd etc... but I still feel like I could have asked for my full whack and not felt particularly guilty about it if she balked.

What's your thoughts?

funkymook
25-01-2013, 01:27 PM

Today I got a phone call from a close friend's parents asking if I'd do their Ruby. My mate is away working hence why he didn't ask me himself and I quoted her my standard mates rates price of £100.

I don't know his parents to the point I actually had to ask her their first names for my diary and it got me thinking that, when is it OK to not do mates rates?

It's not going to be a hard gig, it's just down the road and it'll be a nice crowd etc... but I still feel like I could have asked for my full whack and not felt particularly guilty about it if she balked.

What's your thoughts?

I have done, now it depends on how close the mate is and/or what favours they've done or can do me. Nowadays if there's nothing in it for me then it's 10% or so off my normal fee (though I'll pull all the stops out, not count the hours etc)

Nothing worse than committing to a cheap gig way in advance just because it's for a friend and having to turn away well paid work when you rely on the income.

And if they decide to book someone cheaper they were only price shopping anyway!

chrisj
25-01-2013, 01:41 PM
What is your mate doing for you in return. Nowt? So why do mates rates. Well that is one way to think about it.

All depends on how good a mate it is IMO. A mate of mine did my wedding disco for free and I will return the favour but he always said he will not get married. We'll see.

Excalibur
25-01-2013, 01:46 PM

Wash your mouth out with soap!! We're not having disgusting things like that posted on a public forum!! :eek::eek: Totally unacceptable.

OK, Jim, to do the serious bit now, in three circumstances.

1) You already owe them a favour.( Or want them to owe you one ) Round here, in a farming community, you may want help, or be called on to give it. What goes round comes round.
2) When it clinches the deal, and only if it's still an acceptable price. I'm normally knocking about £25 off the price, and have been known to put £30 on the price first, in those circumstances. ;):D
3) Other DJ's. I cover for one who has a residency which pays very badly, but the venue has excellent parking, nice staff, and an easy load in and out, normally with minimal kit. ( Unless you drop for the main room, so DSB, subs and Powerbar are added. ) I'm unlikely to tell other DJ's they have to stump up extra dosh of their own to persuade me to help them.

SoundONE
25-01-2013, 02:50 PM
If you don't even know there names there not mates so mates rates can't apply, I always explain to mates, if I do your's I'm turning away proper paying customers, most mates will pay the going rate, else they ain't mates and when they pay the going rate, I hand some back because they are mates.

WWDJ
25-01-2013, 03:09 PM
I don't mind a 'mates rate' gig as often it is very relaxed compared to working for customers that you do not know.

A little bit annoying when you get an enquiry for a £££s wedding gig on the same date, but that's risk, and actually for me it is about the enjoyment as well as the actual fee.

25-01-2013, 03:14 PM
So the general consensus is no then? :D

Although I don't know the parents, he is one of my best mates so I don't mind doing him a turn even if I don't necesarilly get anything back for it. I've never really thought of it as a case of "What can I get back from this?" situation either.

It's just down the road, it's in a couple of weeks so I doubt I'll pick anything else up and it'll be a stripped back set up. I'm actually going to see what I can do without using any lighting stands. I've done the full bhoona at the same price for people I'm closer to and usually they do end up paying over what I've asked for so we'll see.

And if nothing else, it's getting yourself out there in front of a 100 or so potential customers in the local area.

I don't mind a 'mates rate' gig as often it is very relaxed compared to working for customers that you do not know.

That's something else I forgot to mention. It'll be much more casual and less time consuming than other gigs. I won't even need to speak to them until they turn up on the night.

DeckstarDeluxe
25-01-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm always busy :) Had a cousin asking me to do her leaving party recently but sadly I was booked ;)

I did put them onto a fellow forum member who got some business from that at a decent fee I believe and my cousin was happy that despite me being unable to attend that she was getting a DJ with a recommendation at least..

25-01-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm always busy :) Had a cousin asking me to do her leaving party recently but sadly I was booked ;)

I did put them onto a fellow forum member who got some business from that at a decent fee I believe and my cousin was happy that despite me being unable to attend that she was getting a DJ with a recommendation at least..

There's always that too.

While we're at it, I'm not averse to knocking back people I know. I've had a few enquiries from people in work who obviously thought I would do their gig for buttons. I wasn't particularly close to them so I gave them a decent discount but it wasn't as low as a usual gig for a close mate. They were put out that I'd had the audacity to ask for over £100 and tried to bargain and were quickly told where to go.

DeckstarDeluxe
25-01-2013, 03:22 PM
There's always that too.

While we're at it, I'm not averse to knocking back people I know. I've had a few enquiries from people in work who obviously thought I would do their gig for buttons. I wasn't particularly close to them so I gave them a decent discount but it wasn't as low as a usual gig for a close mate. They were put out that I'd had the audacity to ask for over £100 and tried to bargain and were quickly told where to go.

The way I see it is if it is a family member or friend who you value enough to discount (in my case my main source of income) they would want me there as a guest rather than the DJ.

25-01-2013, 03:25 PM
It's not my main source of income and I wouldn't be invited to his parents party if I wasn't DJing.

DeckstarDeluxe
25-01-2013, 03:55 PM
It's not my main source of income and I wouldn't be invited to his parents party if I wasn't DJing.

Full price then for me :)

Excalibur
25-01-2013, 07:37 PM
So the general consensus is no then? :D
So which part of "Yes, under three circumstances" counts as a "No" then? :whistle:

Don't worry Jim, I'm long inured to being a lone voice in the wilderness. Especially in Scotland, apparently. :D:D

The way I see it is if it is a family member or friend who you value enough to discount (in my case my main source of income) they would want me there as a guest rather than the DJ.

Aaargh no, not this old chestnut again. When I'm invited as a guest, and not the DJ, I'm grumpier than a bear with a sore head. Way grumpier. And if the DJ isn't up to standard, well.............................................. .................................................. ............................:mad:

As a DJ, I love to see mates having a ball because of me. That's why I started nearly forty years ago. Nowadays, since the money's a major consideration, I can't honestly say I do this simply for fun, but having a good time is still important to me. My but the warm feeling of having done a great gig buoys you up immensely.

ukpartydj
26-01-2013, 02:44 AM
I have been doing mates rates at 100 pound for a bit but have decided its stupid.
All my friends work in shops and have nothing I desire other than maybe a DVD or Xbox game to borrow.
Most of my friends don't drive so I get lumbered with driving them about, if they need to move house I'm the only poeson with a van.
I charge them for all these things but for bugger all really.

I've got stuck with a party which was originally a 21st (which is ideal for me being 23) to it being a family joint party 50th. Agreed to it assuming it'd be in Feb which is normally pretty dull month anyway its been moved to April and I have to deal with ridiculous questions from them like do I have gangnam style? Am I qualified?
Think the issue is my friends don't realise how professional I am. I guess they just see me as Dave... The guy who can still pull off a card trick when drunk.

26-01-2013, 10:53 AM
I have been doing mates rates at 100 pound for a bit but have decided its stupid.
All my friends work in shops and have nothing I desire other than maybe a DVD or Xbox game to borrow.
Most of my friends don't drive so I get lumbered with driving them about, if they need to move house I'm the only poeson with a van.
I charge them for all these things but for bugger all really.

I've got stuck with a party which was originally a 21st (which is ideal for me being 23) to it being a family joint party 50th. Agreed to it assuming it'd be in Feb which is normally pretty dull month anyway its been moved to April and I have to deal with ridiculous questions from them like do I have gangnam style? Am I qualified?
Think the issue is my friends don't realise how professional I am. I guess they just see me as Dave... The guy who can still pull off a card trick when drunk.

I would tell them to gtf pulling :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored: like that. Changing the date? No chance. Are you qualified? Tell you what, if you're worried about a cheap wet behind the earp DJ you can pay full whack n put yous mind at ease.

yourdj
26-01-2013, 04:14 PM
If they are a good mate they should offer you double.
Now a mutual benefit (such as another supplier recommendation or a venues staff party) is another thing all together.

I would rather do it for free otherwise.
I am MCing my friends wedding (also a DJ) in exchange for some food and drink and a party :p
My girlfriend is also invited.

26-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Yeah but if your mates a mechanic, you would offer them full whack, they wouldn't accept it. Mine wouldn't anyway so it's the same thing.

ukpartydj
26-01-2013, 08:45 PM
I would tell them to gtf pulling :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored: like that. Changing the date? No chance. Are you qualified? Tell you what, if you're worried about a cheap wet behind the earp DJ you can pay full whack n put yous mind at ease.

It's going to be a nightmare but I'm not the sort to go against my word and when they originally asked none of the details were mentioned, should have decided back then that I don't do mates rates! Live and learn.

I dream of the day!

surround sounds
26-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Now a mutual benefit (such as another supplier recommendation or a venues staff party) is another thing all together.

I would rather do it for free otherwise.
I am MCing my friends wedding (also a DJ) in exchange for some food and drink and a party :p
My girlfriend is also invited.

Think we need to become best of friends as i may be getting married soon and i will need a dj. I will give you plenty Of food and drink :beer1::beer1:

goldensounds83
06-08-2013, 10:00 PM

What's your thoughts?

Simple answer is not any more I have found if you do something for nothing or next to nothing, even for a mate, they seem to value it as nothing I have been :Censored: over far to many time for example I used to do discos at a very reduced rate for a close friend in the local church ... fates... fund raisers even a few birthday parties etc now I have been replace by someone charging just £40 less than I was never again will I do a favour for anyone this is my business and my lively hood everyone pays the same price.