PDA

View Full Version : 3rd birthday party

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
26-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Just landed one.

It's only 2 hours and the dough is decent enough but I've not done a kids party for a few years.

I can usually get kids that age dancing playing new chart stuff and cheesy guff like Gangnam Style, Cha Cha Slide etc... but is there anything else I should be getting in just in case?

What about games?

Any other times I've done parties it was via agencies and the games were taken care of by the parents but in this case I think they want me to come up with some ideas.

Anything else I should take into consideration apart from a few rottweilers to stop them poking and prodding my scrims.

paulg
26-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Games are very hard at that age. The children are at least a year from being developed enough to get what's going on. You might get away with pass the parcels but the little ones won't understand why they have to pass on what looks like a perfectly good present! Hokey Cokey with mum and dad will be OK. Plenty of balloons helps - they will play with them for hours.

I'd rather be at home with my feet up rather than do that sort of gig so I tend to advise that a disco is not appropriate and mum and dad should stick to a few children around the table at home with Cbeebies on the CD, potted dog sarnies, balloons, jelly and ice cream and a cake with some candles........ahhh...memories.

leelive
26-02-2013, 09:11 PM
I have been to a few kids parties at my wee son's school.

The dj's doing their parties have followed some simple rules:

Don't use any Graphic EQ.... just turn up the volume and max the treble so that it bounces off the walls and pierces everyone's ears.
Don't bother with digitally controlled lighting... Just have random patterns and lasers spinning in all directions.
Stick to one style of music.... even if no-one is dancing.
Finally, play "musical bumps" at the last minute.

Good luck.

Lee

chrisj
26-02-2013, 09:12 PM
I've done a couple of 3 yr old parties this year but then I am a children's entertainer and magician, member of Anglian Magic Society. I must agree they may be ok with Gangnam as the last one I did was but she had a 10 yr old brother and was therefore into it. Yes I did pass the parcel provided by the parents but many children would not pass it. I did use a bubble machine but had to limit the amount of bubbles as I always do to stop floor getting slippery.
I use Rosco bubble fluid which is very thin and almost dry. http://www.rosco.com/fog/bubsfluid.cfm I think it is around £28 for 1 gallon delivered.

I gave then a 45 minute Magic Show but some just were not interested as the attention span is so short at that age.

I suggest you contact the parents and ask what the child is interested in as I cannot see much chart music working unless of course there are older children at the party.

Don't use any Graphic EQ.... just turn up the volume and max the treble so that it bounces off the walls and pierces everyone's ears.
Don't bother with digitally controlled lighting... Just have random patterns and lasers spinning in all directions.

Good luck.

Lee

Great thoughts Lee but it is a 3 year old party not even school age. At 3 yrs old they do not need it to be too loud as the best thing is lots of interaction. I will not do a 3 yr old party for more than 1 hr unless they have 25 - 30 minutes for food and cake with a Magic Show included which is normal for me. I would honestly hate to do a 3 yr old with just games and music They are not old enough to know the Cha Cha or Macarena. Even some 5 yr old parties don't know those tracks and I do 5 - 6 yr olds twice each month.

26-02-2013, 11:15 PM
Christ I'm regretting this already. I have to stop doing favours for people.

What kind of music would you suggest then? I had a bunch of toddlers running around enjoying Rihanna, Nikki Minaj etc...(clean versions of course) before getting the 60s and 70s stuff going on Saturday night.

leelive
27-02-2013, 07:06 AM
Great thoughts Lee but it is a 3 year old party not even school age.

None of my suggestions were serious. I hated the kids discos..... but came to realise that at £50 the school got a bargain.

Lee

paulg
27-02-2013, 11:16 AM
music:

Cbeebies
Nursery rhymes - old mac donald, ten green bottles etc etec
all the holiday kids clubs hits - chocolata, chiuahaha, hot potato etc etc
black lace - superman, hokey cokey, conga etc. I'd give gang bang a miss.
poker face and that sort of sickly pop

Stick to this and you'll do fine

DazzyD
27-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Christ I'm regretting this already. I have to stop doing favours for people.

What kind of music would you suggest then? I had a bunch of toddlers running around enjoying Rihanna, Nikki Minaj etc...(clean versions of course) before getting the 60s and 70s stuff going on Saturday night.

music:

Cbeebies
Nursery rhymes - old mac donald, ten green bottles etc etec
all the holiday kids clubs hits - chocolata, chiuahaha, hot potato etc etc
black lace - superman, hokey cokey, conga etc. I'd give gang bang a miss.
poker face and that sort of sickly pop

Stick to this and you'll do fine

I'd also add in that you should try and your get your hands the current season's Tiger Club / Rory & Bradley CDs /FunStars (these are the Haven Kid's Club stuff) and these always go down well at kids parties. For the last 2 years, "Naughty Ned" has used the Taio Cruz track Dynamite as part of the "DJ Ned" shows and I've found that this goes down well at kids parties. Also, Katy Perry's Firework is usually popular.

As for games, then unless you have some experience of what goes down well, I'd have to advise you to pass this over to the parents to organise. I mean, have you ever tried to tell a 3 year old that he must sit down as he moved during Musical Statues?? {shudders} And I do do kids parties!!! For a bunch of toddlers, you're better off just realising a load of balloons and letting them get on with it!!

Shaun
27-02-2013, 12:52 PM
I couldn't even contemplate doing a 3 year old party. Most are still at the nursery rhyme stage, so a disco would be a complete waste of time I'd imagine.

Best of luck with it Jim, I think you'll need it. :)

DJ jordi J
27-02-2013, 06:12 PM
I do mainly teen party's but have done younger kids party's and to be honest at that age they will not be overly interested in what you are playing. My advice play off "now 83" and chuck in a couple of nursery rhyme's. roll with it and relax, no special equipment just a few moving lights for them to chase and a fog/smoke machine always goes down well.

good luck !!! :muppet:

funkymook
27-02-2013, 06:29 PM
My advice play off "now 83" and chuck in a couple of nursery rhyme's. roll with it and relax,

I don't think Oasis and Frankie Goes To Hollywood are very suitable....

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-02-2013, 06:44 PM
I don't think Oasis and Frankie Goes To Hollywood are very suitable....

Taxi for Martin.

:muppet:;)

DJ Jules
28-02-2013, 08:17 AM

Lee, I was going to say - this reads as a long list of things NOT to do at a 3yr old's party :D

If it's a party for a 3yr old then the guests will be roughly 2/3yrs in age, and are going to be really hard to instruct. As others have said you're going to be reliant on Mums/Dads/Older siblings to get them to interact with you and do the usual party game kind of stuff and they're also too small to do any big running around games (and can quite easily come a cropper if they bump into each other).

Musical Statues/Bumps they will get - as long as you demonstrate very clearly what you're doing (and you can either play this so that they get prizes for being the quickest, or you get them out if they're the slowest).

If you do party dances, keep them very very simple so that they can follow easily.

The best entertainment for them is actually likely to be quite slapstick/puppet show kind of stuff (or simple magic) as they'll sit and watch this kind of stuff quite readily and can appreciate "visual" humour.... but admittedly that's not every DJ's cup of tea.

You're definitely going to have a challenge on your hands. Music wise, keep it cheesy - if the track is current or not is irrelevant, they will have absolutely no concept at all of what music is around and/or popular at this age, it's just about the "feel" of the music (think happy and bouncy!)

Oh, also smoke/bubble machines go down well - and combining the two goes down even better (e.g. feeding fog into the bubble machine so you get foggy bubbles that turn into clouds when they're popped!)

Julian

DazzyD
28-02-2013, 01:12 PM

Good luck.

Lee

I think some people missed your satirical take on this one. Lee!! ;)

However, I too have seen "DJs" operating the same way at kids parties and I was feeling the same way as you!

DJ Jules
28-02-2013, 01:51 PM
I think some people missed your satirical take on this one. Lee!! ;)

However, I too have seen "DJs" operating the same way at kids parties and I was feeling the same way as you!

You wouldn't be the only one. Ironically I've seen just as many instances of this at Adult parties!

Julian

01-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the help guys though it looks like this one might be a no go anyway.

Contacting her has been very hard.

She has 2 different mobiles she's text me on (I'm not exactly sure what that's all about or which one is actually hers) but I text her on one number and get an instant reply from the other one right away :confused:

When she phoned me from her house she withheld the number so I can't contact her there.

There's 2 different e-mail address I've been given as one pings back my e-mails.

And even with all of that, I still can't get her to finalise some details (literally just her last name and address) to draw up the contract. I've explained that the booking still isn't confirmed until I have receive a signed contract which I can't do until I have all of the information confirmed by her.

Nothing.

Fair enough it's just a low paid 2 hours weans party but there's no way I'm going out without a contract especially given how fascinated kids are with my uplit scrims and lights and the fact I'll have lights hanging at grabbing height from my ATLAS stands.

STEVE HANLEY
01-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Can't you contact the venue to see if they have anymore info the matter? They may be able to contact her for you

Corabar Entertainment
01-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Rather you than me!

We do kids discos, but only for ages 5+, as below that, you can't really interact / organise properly: they don't really even understand the concept of a dance floor at age 3!

Even the last party we did for 5 yr olds, I tried talking to them, and not a single one of them could name a pop song that they liked: the only request we had was for 'Twinkle, twinkle little star'

We have two of us at kids parties, so that at least one of us can be out on the floor at all times, and even with that, I wouldn't contemplate a disco for 3 yr olds. If she's disappeared, I think I'd view it as a lucky escape!

DazzyD
01-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Rather you than me!

We do kids discos, but only for ages 5+, as below that, you can't really interact / organise properly: they don't really even understand the concept of a dance floor at age 3!

Even the last party we did for 5 yr olds, I tried talking to them, and not a single one of them could name a pop song that they liked: the only request we had was for 'Twinkle, twinkle little star'

We have two of us at kids parties, so that at least one of us can be out on the floor at all times, and even with that, I wouldn't contemplate a disco for 3 yr olds. If she's disappeared, I think I'd view it as a lucky escape!

That's been a well-requested tune for me this year!! In fact, I'm thinking maybe I should look in to getting a dance remix done!! ;)

funkymook
01-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the help guys though it looks like this one might be a no go anyway.

Contacting her has been very hard.

She has 2 different mobiles she's text me on (I'm not exactly sure what that's all about or which one is actually hers) but I text her on one number and get an instant reply from the other one right away :confused:

When she phoned me from her house she withheld the number so I can't contact her there.

There's 2 different e-mail address I've been given as one pings back my e-mails.

And even with all of that, I still can't get her to finalise some details (literally just her last name and address) to draw up the contract. I've explained that the booking still isn't confirmed until I have receive a signed contract which I can't do until I have all of the information confirmed by her.

Nothing.

Fair enough it's just a low paid 2 hours weans party but there's no way I'm going out without a contract especially given how fascinated kids are with my uplit scrims and lights and the fact I'll have lights hanging at grabbing height from my ATLAS stands.

That's a lot of chasing for a small job! I wouldn't give it any more time or effort and just think of it as still being in the enquiry stage. Leave it in her court and if another booking confirms in the meantime so be it.

01-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Can't you contact the venue to see if they have anymore info the matter? They may be able to contact her for you

:Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored: that. She's the one that wants to book me and I've tried to contact her several times through various avenues.

If it was an actual booking I'd go through that route but as it stands what I've got is someone who has said they want to book me and then done nothing about it.

02-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Sent an email to the address she gave me saying its still an enquiry and if she didnt give me the details i needed by tuesday id assume she'd changed her mind.

I dont want to let a client down but giving some basic details isnt too much to ask for is it?

DazzyD
02-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Sent an email to the address she gave me saying its still an enquiry and if she didnt give me the details i needed by tuesday id assume she'd changed her mind.

:approve:

04-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Ugh guess who finally got in touch :rolleyes:

Corabar Entertainment
04-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Oh dear.... did you pretend to be the speaking clock once you realised who it was?

04-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Oh dear.... did you pretend to be the speaking clock once you realised who it was?

It was an e-mail. Turns out that she has been getting the e-mails I've been sending to both addresses. She obviously just couldn't decipher the "I need your details to draw up the contract as the booking isn't confirmed until the contract has been signed and returned" DJ lingo :rolleyes:

A guy I work alongside only does kids parties so is going to sort me out with tunes but given how much hassle this has been even to book, I won't be taking on any more int he future. If he wasn't grafting himself that day I'd have passed her on to him.

07-03-2013, 11:03 AM
She finally sent the details through on Monday morning. I fired her contract and booking form through within half an hour.

I got an e-mail from her last night from the same address I sent the contract to saying she hadn't recieved it :rolleyes:

I sent another one and given her a text to let her know it's been resent. If it's not sorted by Monday I'm just telling her I'm done with it and she can find someone else because this is ridiculous for what should be an easy gig.

It'll be the last time I even consider doing a weans party. I have less drama with weddings.

Mr Spyke
08-03-2013, 10:04 PM
It might be worth mentioning the Justin Fletcher albums are good for this age group, also known as Mr Tumbles form CBeebies. The first album "Hands up" I believe had some dance-ish tunes of nursery rhymes, he has a new one out this week with more pop style songs. And theme tune to Gigglebiz is a winner.

Sometimes it helps when you have children of a similar age, otherwise I too wouldn't have much of a clue.

09-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Hands Up is one of the album's my man gave me.

The bird emailed me today - "So what do I do with the contract?:

No disrespect to this woman but if I've sent her 4 e-mails and 5 texts saying I need the email signed and sent back to me, that's probably what you should be doing next.

I've ended up telling her just to have the dough and contract ready before I even set a stand up on the day.

I've just got a call regarding a full day wedding booking where the couple want to meet me that evening half an hour after I finish this "gig" which adds to the stress.

This will be the 1st and last kids gig I do. I've got to be more mercenary.

Corabar Entertainment
09-03-2013, 12:21 AM
The bird emailed me today...Oh dear, Jim. :(:(:( ...you've just made my hit list! (Ask the forum old timers exactly what I think of that particular term!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:)

:)

Excalibur
09-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Oh dear, Jim. :(:(:( ...you've just made my hit list! (Ask the forum old timers exactly what I think of that particular term!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:)

:)

Oh Jim, what a faux pas. You have now incurred Angela's wrath. For future reference, to save you from further antagonising the young lady in question, please remember that chicks like Angela object to being called birds*. :sofa: ( At the back of my mind, I have a nagging feeling of disquiet that this sofa isn't going to be big enough. :( )

* In an effort to ameliorate my impending retribution:
" Why are women called birds? "

Because they pick up worms. :D:D

09-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Oh Jim, what a faux pas. You have now incurred Angela's wrath. For future reference, to save you from further antagonising the young lady in question, please remember that chicks like Angela object to being called birds*. :sofa: ( At the back of my mind, I have a nagging feeling of disquiet that this sofa isn't going to be big enough. :( )

* In an effort to ameliorate my impending retribution:
" Why are women called birds? "

Because they pick up worms. :D:D

With the amount of grief I've had from her, if I'd to call her what I really wanted to it'd be worse. :)

Excalibur
09-03-2013, 10:50 AM
With the amount of grief I've had from her, if I'd to call her what I really wanted to it'd be worse. :)

In Angela's opinion, not necessarily. ;)

Jim,give free rein to yourdispleasure. The forum censor allows some pretty strong language, you know. Nuisance, aggravation, pain in the bottom, exasperation, irritation, vexation, hassle, or bother spring immediately to mind.

Please be aware though, that foul language and profanities are not allowed on here, and it is widely accepted that they are an indicator of lazy speech, and a limited vocabulary. :Naughty:

Corabar Entertainment
09-03-2013, 11:20 AM
:angel::angel::angel: Dear Jim, are you considering joining us for our little annual outing at BPM this year :angel::angel::angel:

:sj::sj::sj: I do hope so. :sj::sj::sj:

As for you, Peter.... you KNOW you're in for in! :lol:

Excalibur
09-03-2013, 12:12 PM
:angel::angel::angel: Dear Jim, are you considering joining us for our little annual outing at BPM this year :angel::angel::angel:
:sj::sj::sj: I do hope so. :sj::sj::sj:
JIM!! BE WARNED. IT'S A TRAP!!!

As for you, Peter.... you KNOW you're in for in! :lol:
I have led a rich and full life. I shall accept my fate with equanimity

Corabar Entertainment
09-03-2013, 12:56 PM
:lol:

09-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Alas unless Roger Waters slips off the mortal coil between now and the 14th, I'll be in London watchimg The Wall that weekend.

DazzyD
09-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Alas unless Roger Waters slips off the mortal coil between now and the 14th, I'll be in London watchimg The Wall that weekend.

You big chicken!! :p

funkymook
10-03-2013, 11:09 AM

And now you've given your location away!

10-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Guess what arrived in the post yesterday.

A shiny signed contract from this WOMAN which begs the question why she sent me an e-mail asking what she should do with it once she'd printed and signed it as she'd either already sent it or sent the e-mail then sent it before my reply.:muppet:

To further throw a spanner in the works, I've been toing and froing with a potential client over a high paying all day wedding gig. The only time they can meet for a sit down for me to try and seal the deal is Saturday after this gig. :rolleyes:

11-03-2013, 03:08 PM
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I sent her an e-mail letting her know that I'd received the contract back.

She's just sent me an e-mail with the text of MY PREVIOUS E-MAIL EXPLAINING THAT I NOW HAVE THE CONTRACT in the body of it asking if I had the contract as she'd sent it out on Friday.

This woman is nuts.

Corabar Entertainment
11-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Hee hee... I think this gig is going to be a far greater punishment than anything I could do to you, Jim...... you're safe! :p:p:D

Excalibur
11-03-2013, 04:45 PM
This woman is nuts.
I think I'm dealing with her twin sister for Sunday's gig. :( She doesn'thave a cheque book, but wanted to pay for the whole thing in advance. Lovely. :) She asked if Paypal or bank transfer were OK. Absolutely fine, I say. I give her the necessary info, and she then says can she do the deed on Wednesday. I'm asumig she meant last Wednesday. but no money has arrived by weekend. :( I tell her, ask if there's any problem, and she says she'll check. Still no money, if it's not here by morning, I'll contact her again. Thing is, she's Echosigned a contract, so I assume she intends to proceed with the booking. :confused: ( And to think I castigated Shaun for his lack of trust in requiring the money before he sent the contract. Sorry Shaun, you may have a point. ) I can see this one becoming cash on the day. No matter how far technology advances, punters still manage to foul things up. Grrr.

Contrast this with the client who emailed me at the end of the week. He asked how to book, expressed a desire to get it settled as soon as, and said he would be away for the weekend, but would deal with it on his return. Sunday night, I got an email saying he'd transferred funds, the Echosign arrived minutes later, job done. Simples. :D

Jim...... you're safe! :p:p:D
Good. May I tentatively enquire if this absolution applies equally to me? :whistle:

Corabar Entertainment
11-03-2013, 06:03 PM
May I tentatively enquire if this absolution applies equally to me? :whistle:Hmmmm.... let's see how much more grief your client gives you before I make a decision! :D:D:D

16-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Ah well tomorrow is D-day.

The guy I work with who does nothing but kids parties and won't touch a wedding with a barge pole says I'm mental taking on a party like this :zip:

Coincidentally enough I got an enquiry today for another toddlers birthday party that I wide berthed.

Excalibur
16-03-2013, 06:37 AM

Snap. Mine's not a lot better, she's paid at last, but the timings have now changed for the third time! At least it's a christening, rather than a 3 year old's party. :D

Shaun
16-03-2013, 09:06 AM

The guy I work with who does nothing but kids parties and won't touch a wedding with a barge pole says I'm mental taking on a party like this :zip:

Coincidentally enough I got an enquiry today for another toddlers birthday party that I wide berthed.

You're a brave man!

Keep us posted. I'd been keen to see a playlist after the party, and any info of games/activities you include. :) :beer1:

16-03-2013, 11:14 AM
You're a brave man!

Keep us posted. I'd been keen to see a playlist after the party, and any info of games/activities you include. :) :beer1:

Games:

Who can sit quietly for as long as possible.

Who can carry the most DJ gear to his car.

Who can go the 2 hours without asking for Bieber

I've got a couple of bags of sweets for prizes but I think I'll just need to do dance competitions, maybe musical statues as it doesn't sound like they'll be capable of much else.

I got a call yesterday from someone else asking about a 4th birthday party. I politely declined the offer :)

The guy i work with does NOTHING but kids parties because he doesn't want the stress of weddings. I'll tell you what, there's not many wedding gigs I've done that I've been as apprehensive about.

I'm just hoping I don't get anything sprayed on my clothes as I've got to shoot off to this potential big earner client meeting right after it.

dj foureyes
16-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Sleeping Lions is a good game to play. See if you can stretch it out for 2 Hours!

ukpartydj
16-03-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm just hoping I don't get anything sprayed on my clothes as I've got to shoot off to this potential big earner client meeting right after it.

It's probably too late to suggest now but take a second set of clothes :) ... I've got a selection of tie's a spare shirt and trousers under my seat at all times, along with multiple energy drinks and some baked beans a duvet and pillows. Because you never know what could happen! Good luck!