PDA

View Full Version : so where do you start??

benlewis13
22-10-2006, 08:50 PM
OK, so i am starting mobile DJing as a business with a partner. Now we have a fair amount of music from all eras and a few DJ cds. But serously, how do you start doing gigs where people will request because we just dont have that 25,000 song database yet!

Shaun
22-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum.

As long as you have a varied selection you don't need to have a huge collection. If you don't have a specific song that a guest may ask for, suggest something similar or something from the same era as the track they're requesting.

soundlad
22-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Welcome to the forum. What do you mean 'where do you start'? What equipment to buy first?

benlewis13
22-10-2006, 09:22 PM
no sorry if i wasnt clear, i was talking about getting all the required music.

Thanks for the advice.

djbigdevs
22-10-2006, 10:15 PM
DMC do (did) some really good box sets. About £35-40 for 4 CDs but contain all the 'essential' tracks from that decade, style etc.

http://store.dmcworld.com/detail.asp?cat=13&subs=42&id=454

http://store.dmcworld.com/subproducts.asp?cat=13&subs=42

Just build on your collection when you can. Try and get the 'main' tracks that will played at 'all' discos.

Murrough
22-10-2006, 10:26 PM
The CD Pool do a compilation set of 1200 tracks, over 60 cd, which as they are selected per track for DJs would probably mean having 150+ CD's if you tried to buy them all on compilation albums. This should really get you off the ground quite well. They are split over 3 volumes and you can see the complete track listing for each

I am seriously thinking of buying them as a 'backup'. You can find the link about them all. The also do a few other sets as well, but be careful of going for too many club sets as you will not need them and their operational shelf life is short.

CD Pool - Essential Collection (http://www.cdpool.com/dsp_paypalessential.htm)

Candybeatdiscos
22-10-2006, 10:28 PM
top right hand corner there are some useful help guides, including music ones

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/article.php?c=6

very handy list, the way i started was get all the tracks to do a basic evening, then when people come up and ask for a song you don't have, write it down and make a point of getting it. I still do that 15 years on and find some nights i go home with 10 songs that i need to buy - thankfully Itunes has a great selection.

Murrough
22-10-2006, 10:36 PM
lol Lewnics, I still do the same as well but I use CD's so I end up having to rumage about in the record shops. Latest 'to buy' as a Go West Greatest Hits. I have the main ones, but people seem to be asking for ones I dont have so need to add it to the collection.

Candybeatdiscos
22-10-2006, 10:40 PM
i digitally DJ (soon wont need to turn up just have live video feed and work from home - text your requests lol) and so find it easier to buy from itunes, but in record shops if i happen to come across a particular track on a compilation that has other decent tracks then i will buy it - must have 150 Y.M.C.A's tho

benlewis13
22-10-2006, 10:50 PM
thanks for all your replies, very useful.

Candybeatdiscos
22-10-2006, 10:51 PM
so ben where are u based?

benlewis13
22-10-2006, 11:04 PM
in borehamwood, near watford area (hertfordshire), about 20 minutes on the train from london

Candybeatdiscos
22-10-2006, 11:07 PM
well i wish you well with your venture mate

benlewis13
22-10-2006, 11:11 PM
thanks

Corabar Entertainment
22-10-2006, 11:21 PM
The other tip is to make sure that you ask your clients before the event if there are any special tracks that they want played during the evening, which gives you time to get anything you are missing before the night.

That way, you'll have everything you especially need and so your client will be happy, even if there are a couple of requests made on the night that you can't cover :)

Corabar Entertainment
22-10-2006, 11:22 PM
in borehamwood, near watford area (hertfordshire), about 20 minutes on the train from londonVERY local to us! :)

ian8limelight
22-10-2006, 11:26 PM
in borehamwood, near watford area (hertfordshire), about 20 minutes on the train from london

Welcome aboard Ben, again not too far from us.

Try http://www.mastermixdj.com for some box sets.

There was also a secondhand record/CD shop in Watford (not sure if it's still there) plus another one in Hendon, if they're any good to you.

benlewis13
23-10-2006, 12:00 AM
corabar, seeing as we dont have too much experience in doing DJing live, as the business is just starting up, you think there is any chance i could come with you on one of your jobs to help you out (no pay of course!)?

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-10-2006, 01:04 AM
corabar, seeing as we dont have too much experience in doing DJing live, as the business is just starting up, you think there is any chance i could come with you on one of your jobs to help you out (no pay of course!)?

You wanna move to Reading... :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
23-10-2006, 01:23 AM
corabar, seeing as we dont have too much experience in doing DJing live, as the business is just starting up, you think there is any chance i could come with you on one of your jobs to help you out (no pay of course!)?Although I have been logged in, I haven't been at the computer much this evening, so only just seen this and got your PM!

No problem! I've replied to your PM & look forward to hearing from you :) :)

Have a disco
23-10-2006, 01:33 AM
suggest buying compilations of

Now thats what I call music
Dance Zone
Deep heat
Bonkers
R & B sets
DMC Essential sets
Mastermix sets
Greatest hit collections
from 2nd hand stores, charity shops, wooleys, HMV or the above links
Joining White disc or CD Pool for current stuff

hope this helps

benlewis13
23-10-2006, 02:06 AM
again, thanks for all the replys. I was on djforums 'forum' aswell a while back, and i still havnt got a reply to the one and only topic i posted there.

Shaun
23-10-2006, 02:11 AM
again, thanks for all the replys. I was on djforums 'forum' aswell a while back, and i still havnt got a reply to the one and only topic i posted there.

Mobile Disco Directory. The answer to all your disco related queries :)

Corabar Steve
23-10-2006, 05:30 AM
Welcome aboard Ben :thumbs_up

CRAZY K
23-10-2006, 09:53 AM

Ah the Wood--happy memories--last Barn Dance gig I did there the audience were throwing the food at each other and then at me :omg:

No fighting though--do you play up the Green Dragon at all :) :) :)

Not sure how you are going to get on with those London gigs though Ben--

With you taking your gear on the train :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Good luck anyway

CRAZY K

benlewis13
23-10-2006, 02:42 PM
no we have a van, we should be alright.