PDA

View Full Version : Alto TS15 Sub or Alto TS 18 Sub

adilowes
10-03-2013, 01:56 PM
I am looking to purchase a pair of Subs shortly. i have a Pair Alto TS 15A active full range cabs and I am looking at the Alto subs to go with them. I have read a number of reviews on the TS15's and they get quite a positive response. I am unsure if to go for the 15" subs or the 18". The Technical spec is almost identical as I believe they use the same amps. The only difference is the 18 inch ones have a slightly lower frequency response. The SPL and Wattage are identicle. I was wondering if anyone here had either heard both together or have got a pair of either. The prices are a little more for the 18's but I don't mind if there is a benefit to the sound. Weight isn't a big issue as I am either going to get the optional wheels which are apparently available or a Wheel board to transport them on and I have enough room in my vehicle for either. My ultimate aim is to have 2 sets of tops and 2 sets of subs to use at larger venues.
ave any of you got the optional wheels with these subs. Do they come with them and where do they mount (Presumably on the rear). Also the spec meantions a phase switch. What benefit does this have. I understand it reverses polarity so you get better base by having one sub reversed. Are there any experts on that on here.

Excalibur
10-03-2013, 07:21 PM
I am looking to purchase a pair of Subs shortly. i have a Pair Alto TS 15A active full range cabs and I am looking at the Alto subs to go with them. I have read a number of reviews on the TS15's and they get quite a positive response. I am unsure if to go for the 15" subs or the 18". The Technical spec is almost identical as I believe they use the same amps. The only difference is the 18 inch ones have a slightly lower frequency response. The SPL and Wattage are identicle. I was wondering if anyone here had either heard both together or have got a pair of either. The prices are a little more for the 18's but I don't mind if there is a benefit to the sound. Weight isn't a big issue as I am either going to get the optional wheels which are apparently available or a Wheel board to transport them on and I have enough room in my vehicle for either. My ultimate aim is to have 2 sets of tops and 2 sets of subs to use at larger venues.
ave any of you got the optional wheels with these subs. Do they come with them and where do they mount (Presumably on the rear). Also the spec meantions a phase switch. What benefit does this have. I understand it reverses polarity so you get better base by having one sub reversed. Are there any experts on that on here.
15" or 18", Well that's an old favourite. If you're considering 18" subs, it's imperative that you get your hands on a pair, just to see if you can handle the blasted things, especially since they're active. If they're too cumbersome to deal with, then how they sound is immaterial. I have no problem with 15" subs, and I know some respected members who maintain that 18" are far superior.
Wheels, well the only sensible place is on the back. On the bottom is a bad plan. If that's where they're designed to go, don't get them.
Phase, well it's a suck it and see. If when you change the setting on one cab, the bass decreases, they were in phase already. If it increases, then they were out. ( And if there's no discernible difference, do what you like. :D:D )

adilowes
10-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. Have you heard any of the Alto Subs. Are they any good. I know the Tops I bought TS115 are fantastic. Can the driver size make that much difference if it is the same amps and output? Transporting aren't that big a problem. They are digital amps so a lot lighter than they look judging by the specs.

Excalibur
10-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. Have you heard any of the Alto Subs. Are they any good. I know the Tops I bought TS115 are fantastic. Can the driver size make that much difference if it is the same amps and output? Transporting aren't that big a problem. They are digital amps so a lot lighter than they look judging by the specs.

Have I heard them? Sadly, no. I don't think we had any at Coalville. Shame really.

Theoretically, driver size will make a difference. Theoretically. Just recently, I've heard a lot of rigs with 12" subs which sound absolutely fine, and not short of bass at all. The Luddite in me says "Ye cannae change the laws of physics", so I'll stick with my 15" subs, at least for the time being. The only cast iron certainty is that all other things being equal, an 18" cab will be bigger and heavier than a 15", so I will make two of my oft reiterated bits of advice:
1) Listen first, if at all posible. I like a certain ssound in my subs, and someone recentlly pointed out why I don't like a very highly regarded brand of subs much. It's mainly down to the design.
2) Pick 'em up, if at all possible. Active subs tend to have big boxes surrounding them, which can make them so unwieldy that they're a two man lift. For that reason alone, I'd go for 15" ( and I'd strongly consider 12", believe me ).

chrisj
10-03-2013, 10:10 PM
I did mention on another thread that I have a TS15 sub which I only use for additional sub bass when I need a bit more than my 4 x Bose B1's offer. In other words hardly ever used but I did mention on the thread that there is a rattle when I drive it hard. I think it was Partypoppers who said he had the same problem and cleared the rattle by putting foam behind the grill that caused the rattle. I shall try it this week but I am well pleased with the sound from the Alto TS15 sub cab.OK the 18 will be a bit lower in frequency handling. I used to use Tannoy 15" subs and Tannoy 18" subs but the little bit of extra low frequency drom the 18's was not worth the cost or the energy required to lift them.
IMO the Alto cabs are very good and to buy the next up grade would cost a lot.