PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever hired a silent mobile disco?

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
21-03-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm looking into doing one with another DJ and I'm googling but all of the places are dry hire and UK wide. I'm not quite sure how that works as I can't imagine there's a tonne of nation wide silent disco dry hire companies but there you go. Nothing specifically local I can see at all.

Anyways if you have any info would be appreciated.

What sort of price per unit should I be expecting to pay?

Is it hard to set up or do you just run a line out to the transmiter and that's it?

Any other info I should know or be wary of before I get into this?

SamV
21-03-2013, 10:36 PM
When I've done one in the past I've just bought a lot of small fm radios and then plugged in a transmitter from the main outs from the mixer. Simple and works. As for how much, thats entirely upto you.

DeckstarDeluxe
22-03-2013, 05:34 AM
I'm looking into doing one with another DJ and I'm googling but all of the places are dry hire and UK wide. I'm not quite sure how that works as I can't imagine there's a tonne of nation wide silent disco dry hire companies but there you go. Nothing specifically local I can see at all.

Anyways if you have any info would be appreciated.

What sort of price per unit should I be expecting to pay?

Is it hard to set up or do you just run a line out to the transmiter and that's it?

Any other info I should know or be wary of before I get into this?

Friend works with these guys and cover UK, Europe and the States. http://www.headphonedisco.com/

dj foureyes
22-03-2013, 08:28 AM
I did one last year and it is very easy to set up, you just plug into your line out. It takes a bit of getting used to using two sets of headphones, your own and the Silent Disco's but it was OK.

ckpr2
28-03-2013, 09:23 PM
I nearly provided a silent disco one night.

Carried all my gear in and wired it all up.
Wired it up and turned it on.
Even on full volume I could barely hear it.
I panicked thinking something had blown up like the amp or mixer.
I went around the wiring again and noticed the lead from the mixer to the amp wasnt quite in far enough.
I pushed it in and it all burst into life.
Phew !

I have also attended meetings with a disco afterwards where I was told to turn it off because it was upsetting people hearing aids !
One bloke said turn it off until people get up and dance !!!!!
I said how can they dance if the disco is turned off !

Then the crowd started, one lot wanted it turned down and another wanted it turned up.

A DJ's life can be frustrating at times.