PDA

View Full Version : Training?

safdiscos
26-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Hiya :)

wasen't sure where to post this question, anyway here goes.......

I read with interest, Toby's (your DJ) story in this edition of the mobile disco mag, now I'm thinking getting some training and formulating my own five year plan would be a good idea (don't get me wrong i'm not saying your achievements have come easily or anything like that.. but I would like to try and replicate them to a degree)

My current experience is 6 months independant with no prior experience (nightmare), and 3 months DJing for a fairly succesfull 'multi-op' which did include a small amount of training, I'm currently still with the 'multi op' as they have loads of work, loads of experience to be gained, anyway cutting to the chase. any ideas or recommendations of places I could go on training courses or days, to help me towards being a better mobile DJ? I know there's no substitute for experience usually, but i would like to speed up my progress if possible! Thanks! :)

yourdj
26-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Hiya :)

wasen't sure where to post this question, anyway here goes.......

I read with interest, Toby's (your DJ) story in this edition of the mobile disco mag, now I'm thinking getting some training and formulating my own five year plan would be a good idea (don't get me wrong i'm not saying your achievements have come easily or anything like that.. but I would like to try and replicate them to a degree)

My current experience is 6 months independant with no prior experience (nightmare), and 3 months DJing for a fairly succesfull 'multi-op' which did include a small amount of training, I'm currently still with the 'multi op' as they have loads of work, loads of experience to be gained, anyway cutting to the chase. any ideas or recommendations of places I could go on training courses or days, to help me towards being a better mobile DJ? I know there's no substitute for experience usually, but i would like to speed up my progress if possible! Thanks! :)

Thanks for the mention :)

There is nothing better than doing the job and learning from experience which i have largely done from this time last year but sometimes it nice to get some training if its possible if not only to build up your confidence a bit and can help to speed up the process as you say. We all do things differently so depends what works for you i suppose.

This video was shot last year and I find it is a bit rigid and lacking in content. I did not think that at the time however.
I am doing the Marbecca this year which will hopefully make me a bit more relaxed and also enable me to personalise the approach a bit more :)

-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1_OogEHm-c

safdiscos
26-03-2013, 08:00 PM
No worries I found what you wrote really interesting, prior to that i was obsessed with having to have a million lights etc etc... think I was looking more at the material things then myself as the actual DJ, Do you get many comments from clients about your youtube videos?
I thought the one you posted was good.. I think it's hard not to be ultra critical on ourselves sometimes.

MikeW
26-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the mention :)

There is nothing better than doing the job and learning from experience which i have largely done from this time last year but sometimes it nice to get some training if its possible if not only to build up your confidence a bit and can help to speed up the process as you say. We all do things differently so depends what works for you i suppose.

This video was shot last year and I find it is a bit rigid and lacking in content. I did not think that at the time however.
I am doing the Marbecca this year which will hopefully make me a bit more relaxed and also enable me to personalise the approach a bit more :)

-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1_OogEHm-c

I must say that I am impressed with the video Toby. You do come across as very confident.

yourdj
26-03-2013, 09:05 PM
No worries I found what you wrote really interesting, prior to that i was obsessed with having to have a million lights etc etc... think I was looking more at the material things then myself as the actual DJ, Do you get many comments from clients about your youtube videos?
I thought the one you posted was good.. I think it's hard not to be ultra critical on ourselves sometimes.

the thing is some people just want a good DJ with an impressive sound system etc. and some people don't
Its an all round thing IMO so its good to pay equal attention to it all.

- A tidy rig is the norm now which is excellent as i have seen loads of MDD members upgrade for the better since i have been a member.
It's all to easy to forget the technology or the clients requirements and be stuck in the wrong decade.

I must say that I am impressed with the video Toby. You do come across as very confident.

Thanks - Its all an act i am a quivering wreck outside of my DJ persona :p

Paul The Party Dj
28-03-2013, 09:35 AM
There are plenty of opportunities to test training, here are three events you could attend over the coming 6 months that feature seminars which will give you a flavour of what you could focus on ...

First up the NADJ Conference in Bradford on Sunday 14th April http://nadj.org.uk/latest-nadj-news/546-nadj-annual-conference-a-agm-2013.html

SEDA BUZZ ~ I don't think the date has been announced for this years event yet, but it will probably be on a Monday somewhen in the next four months http://www.seda.org.uk/buzz/

and of course BPM, which this year is on September 14 to 16 http://www.visitbpm.co.uk/

You should also talk to Business Link about local courses in running your own business - it's free.

Good luck

Jem
28-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi

Could I enquire what type of stand you're using to put your mixer and laptop on. It looks a good height to work from.

Thanks

Jem

yourdj
28-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Hi

Could I enquire what type of stand you're using to put your mixer and laptop on. It looks a good height to work from.

Thanks

Jem

Hi,

Its a massive flight case, a sub and then my decks.

Using the kit means the only stuff that needs storage is the speaker bags.
Also next to no vibration from the sub.

safdiscos
28-03-2013, 08:01 PM
There are plenty of opportunities to test training, here are three events you could attend over the coming 6 months that feature seminars which will give you a flavour of what you could focus on ...

First up the NADJ Conference in Bradford on Sunday 14th April http://nadj.org.uk/latest-nadj-news/546-nadj-annual-conference-a-agm-2013.html

SEDA BUZZ ~ I don't think the date has been announced for this years event yet, but it will probably be on a Monday somewhen in the next four months http://www.seda.org.uk/buzz/

and of course BPM, which this year is on September 14 to 16 http://www.visitbpm.co.uk/

You should also talk to Business Link about local courses in running your own business - it's free.

Good luck

Hey.. thanks for the info Il check out the SEDA one, and Il definatly go to BPM show :)

DazzyD
28-03-2013, 10:18 PM

Good luck

Could have sworn I replied to this earlier this afternoon? :confused: Oh, well. Try again!!

It's my understanding that Business Link (as we knew it) ceased to exist a couple of years ago when it became one of the first casualties of the new coalition government. I don't think you can just go and talk to a Business Link Business Advisor anymore (which is a great shame as I learned a lot from my business mentor at BL). I do believe that it's now just an online information resource rather than the physical service that used to be available. And I'm pretty sure that some of the information now comes under the "gov.uk" site (the government's one-stop shop for just about everything!).

I could be totally wrong on this but I don't think I am! ;)

Paul The Party Dj
29-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Could have sworn I replied to this earlier this afternoon? :confused: Oh, well. Try again!!

It's my understanding that Business Link (as we knew it) ceased to exist a couple of years ago when it became one of the first casualties of the new coalition government. I don't think you can just go and talk to a Business Link Business Advisor anymore (which is a great shame as I learned a lot from my business mentor at BL). I do believe that it's now just an online information resource rather than the physical service that used to be available. And I'm pretty sure that some of the information now comes under the "gov.uk" site (the government's one-stop shop for just about everything!).

I could be totally wrong on this but I don't think I am! ;)

I stand corrected - DazzyD is right. I agree Business link were really helpful - they even had a video resource library at my branch.

I know in our area there are various events (some free, some not) hosted by a group called Southern Entrepreneurs. I believe these are Government funded or part funded. Your bank should be able to advise you what's available in your area - speak to a Business Manager, just say you are looking for training.

There are also books and DVD's available from the ProMobile Book Store http://www.promobile.org.uk/bookstore.php

Good luck with your search and I hope to meet you at one of those events :)

Jem
29-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Its a massive flight case, a sub and then my decks.

Hi Toby

Take a look on your video, at 0:16. That's the stand I mean, it looks a bit like a keyboard stand, but quite robust.

Cheers

Jem

yourdj
29-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Hi Toby

Take a look on your video, at 0:16. That's the stand I mean, it looks a bit like a keyboard stand, but quite robust.

Cheers

Jem

Ah sorry.
Its one of these. Pretty robust but great if you want to carry stuff too:
I would not put anything too heavy on though.

Jem
29-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Ah sorry.
Its one of these. Pretty robust but great if you want to carry stuff too:
I would not put anything too heavy on though.

Thanks Toby :)

That's the fella. Pretty cool feature being able to use it as a cart as well.

Cheers

Jem

ckpr2
04-04-2013, 11:56 PM
I worked for a disco that had 3 sets of equipment in the 1970's.
One set was a northern soul set of DJ's who refused to play little else.
They had a midget disco for small gigs.
I worked on the third set that did middle of the road music.

Their could be up to 4 Dj's on my set. Two of them were considerably older and I watched them to see what they said and what they played. I also watched the audience too to see what they reacted best too but this vaired from gig to gig.
We could play soul all night at one gig then heavy metal all night at the next !

My very first gig had a DJ show me how to use the decks then he left me on my own while he went to the pub for a pint.
My first few words over the mic were a bit stuttery until I got used to it.

My advice is get to know your gear well. Get to understand what audiences want.
Keep upto date with your music knowledge. Classics are fine but some audiences want new stuff.