PDA

View Full Version : Grand Central Station Hotel, Glasgow - Access Issues

leelive
10-04-2013, 08:23 PM
I have a booking for Grand Central Station Hotel in Glasgow during the summer (which will be on a Saturday this year - the summer that is!)

Got to put in a big system along side a band.

I am a bit worried as I read on a chat forum that a DJ cancelled a wedding booking when he discovered that access is terrible.

Is it really that bad?

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

I will be pulling my Box Van Trailer so may need a large parking bay.

Many thanks.

Lee

DJ Davy
15-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Hi Lee, I haven't worked in it, but there are a load of guys in Glasgow that will not do it due to access... The load in is on network rail property and it is limited to 30 mins to unload. The vehicle then has to be moved... I am told you need to leave a trail of breadcrumbs to get around the maze of corridors and back to your gear. The lift access is by a key which you need to go and hunt for. I am booked for one there later in the year and to be honest I am dreading it.
I know many of the big operators in glasgow refuse to do it... And they have roadies!

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
15-04-2013, 10:18 PM
I've got a few gigs lined up there later in the year and I'm a bit apprehensive too.

A mate of mine's band plays there fairly often and he says they're sometimes allowed to leave their cars in the loading bay but it depends on who's working and what else is parked up.

I'm going to give them a phone a bit nearer to the time and maybe try and sort out a dry run through the place to see exactly where you go.

DJ Davy
15-04-2013, 11:52 PM
I'm going to give them a phone a bit nearer to the time and maybe try and sort out a dry run through the place to see exactly where you go.

Might do the same Jim... Give me a shout when you are going!

16-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Might do the same Jim... Give me a shout when you are going!

I was going to try and organise it around a meeting with the clients for my next gig but if that's not possible I'll give you a shout and we can try and sort out a time to go together.

FWIW I don't think it's quite as bad as people make out. I've only ever done walk ins there and that was before the refurb but I know other guys in a band who use huge Mackie 4 way speakers that have told me it's a PITA but not that much worse than any other city centre venue.

Lee I know the bride you're talking about and I think the main issue there was that it was a family friend type deal (i.e. cheap) and once he realised it was going to be a bit of bother he decided he didn't want to do it.

leelive
16-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Lee I know the bride you're talking about and I think the main issue there was that it was a family friend type deal (i.e. cheap) and once he realised it was going to be a bit of bother he decided he didn't want to do it.

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the insight.
All the best
Lee

16-04-2013, 11:58 AM
When I say cheap I mean I think he was a pub / club DJ that came in cheaper than a proper wedding DJ.

Unfortunately as we all know getting a "deal" isn't always the best way to pick your DJ and this guy apparently decided that it was going to be too much hassle after agreeing to do it for them.

Thoroughly unprofessional way to go about your business and mind boggling to think you would do it to someone you know.

How many runs are you expecting to have to do with the set up you're taking? It sounds to me that the biggest hassle about it is getting from the loading bay through the hotel. Depending on how bad it looks like it's going to be, I might get someone in to roadie for me. Maybe something you could look into if you're going to have to do a sizeable number of runs.

I should maybe add that the 1st one I'm doing is with background music for the dinner too so I'll be able to have everything set up in an adjacent room then take in my sound set up quickly for the dinner then it'll only be rigging up the lights I need to worry about during the room turn over so I've got a bit more leeway and time to mess around with as long as I get there in plenty of time for the dinner.

Mark Wild
16-04-2013, 01:38 PM
I've got one here in July, can't wait lol :)

16-04-2013, 05:03 PM
You'll need to let us know how you get on Mark.

I'll try and find a bit more from my mate about leaving the car in the loading bay. He genuinely didn't think it was a problem at all.

Shame it's not a walk in gig, I could get the train from down the road right in :D

Mark Wild
16-04-2013, 06:00 PM
You'll need to let us know how you get on Mark.

I'll try and find a bit more from my mate about leaving the car in the loading bay. He genuinely didn't think it was a problem at all.

Shame it's not a walk in gig, I could get the train from down the road right in :D

My mistake, end of August, so who's first? lol

16-04-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm 31st of August. :beer1:

While we're at it, I'm doing Sloan's for the 1st time a few weeks later. I've already phoned up and was told just to stick the hazards on in Argyle Street next to the lane that leads up to Sloan's (aka in the middle of a crossing and a bus stop!!!) and unload from there then find somewhere to park.

I'm going out on a limb and say that's not the smartest way to do it, anyone got any better ideas?

It's a Saturday night so the stalls will be out for the market too otherwise I'd have gone onto Buchanan St and drove down the other lane right to the loading door.

Mark Wild
17-04-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm 31st of August. :beer1:

While we're at it, I'm doing Sloan's for the 1st time a few weeks later. I've already phoned up and was told just to stick the hazards on in Argyle Street next to the lane that leads up to Sloan's (aka in the middle of a crossing and a bus stop!!!) and unload from there then find somewhere to park.

I'm going out on a limb and say that's not the smartest way to do it, anyone got any better ideas?

It's a Saturday night so the stalls will be out for the market too otherwise I'd have gone onto Buchanan St and drove down the other lane right to the loading door.

Strange, I'm 31st August too lol, so they've either got 2 weddings on or something fishy is going on here ! Probably just two weddings :confused:

17-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Strange, I'm 31st August too lol, so they've either got 2 weddings on or something fishy is going on here ! Probably just two weddings :confused:

:beer1:

Looks like I'm not getting to leave the car parked up then :)

Mine's is a civil partnership.

When I met with the guys they reckoned they had a full wing to themselves. Can't remember the room names right enough but they were down from the champagne bar and had a room that faced onto Gordon St and a wee ante-room where the bar will be so it's shaped like an L. Looking on their site it seems like it's the CLyde and Queen's room as my one's only for 60 folk.

Will be cool to meet you.

Excalibur
18-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Will be cool to meet you.
Assuming you're not both booked for the same function. :whistle:

DJ Davy
21-04-2013, 11:19 PM
My mistake, end of August, so who's first? lol

I am the week before, 25th July.

leelive
22-04-2013, 07:15 AM
I am the week before, 25th July.

I am there the start of July.

24-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Me and the missus are going there for dinner and dare I say a few cheeky drinks on Sunday night. It'll obviously be one of the restaurants but I'll do a bit of fishing and see if I can come up with any info.

leelive
24-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Me and the missus are going there for dinner and dare I say a few cheeky drinks on Sunday night. It'll obviously be one of the restaurants but I'll do a bit of fishing and see if I can come up with any info.

Super.

I gave the venue a call. They say there are no access issues. It has a loading bay and an anteroom for gear while waiting to get into the room.
I am hoping my fears are unfounded and only a result of the news of a dj cancelling for "access issues" mentioned on a wedding chat forum.

Lee

24-04-2013, 05:39 PM
As I said mate, that one seems to be more a case of some nonsense about him having to pay for parking than any access issues. I ended up picking up that gig and I'm fairly confident she said he was coming in at under £200 (though I could be wrong) so he's maybe realised that it's not going to be a walk in the park so backed out.

I can't see it being THAT much more difficult than a normal city centre hotel. At the very least you've actually got somewhere to park up and unload instead of having to find a bay somewhere. I've been rehearsing with a band on Sunday afternoons in Glasgow and even finding a space on the street then has been a serious issue never mind trying to do it on a Saturday when you've got to haul gear.

01-05-2013, 03:20 PM
So me and the missus went there on Sunday and her £20 groupon meal treat for me turned into £80 odd quid worth of cocktails for her :bang:

Anyways the restaurant staff were really busy so I didn't get a chance to ask them and the Champagne Central staff didn't seem to know much about the logistics of a wedding load in but what I can say is that the corridors are huge in the public part of the hotel, if the service corridors are the same, you should be able to really load up your carts to save on journeys through the building.

Also there's tonnes of conference rooms around the room I'm going to be doing (the smallest one) and I think it might be the same elsewhere so you should have a decent bit of space to start setting up in advance.

leelive
06-07-2013, 09:00 PM
I am so glad I got a lad to help me tonight.
Never again am I coming here though. Unless I double the money.

It is such a hassle. Also the lift broke down so I had to lump a lot of the gear up 4 flights of STAIRS!

I was told I could leave my car in the basement... but then just as the stage was being put down and I was to set-up they told me that if I didn't shift it I would be FINED by Network Rail there and then.

The venue have also told me that if I take a photo and use it in any promotional material (facebook / website etc) I will face legal action!!

A band are on just now and then I am on for the last two hours...

Now that I have got the rant out of my system I will get ready and enjoy the job.

Lee

12-07-2013, 10:28 AM
I am so glad I got a lad to help me tonight.
Never again am I coming here though. Unless I double the money.

It is such a hassle. Also the lift broke down so I had to lump a lot of the gear up 4 flights of STAIRS!

I was told I could leave my car in the basement... but then just as the stage was being put down and I was to set-up they told me that if I didn't shift it I would be FINED by Network Rail there and then.

The venue have also told me that if I take a photo and use it in any promotional material (facebook / website etc) I will face legal action!!

A band are on just now and then I am on for the last two hours...

Now that I have got the rant out of my system I will get ready and enjoy the job.

Lee

Cheers for the heads up Lee.

Sucks about the promo material, I was hoping to get some good up lighting shots as it's a really nice room I'm in.

EDIT: Also where did you park up? Getting somewhere at night isn't a problem but my one in August is a full dayer so using the NCP is going to cost a fortune.

leelive
12-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Cheers for the heads up Lee.

Sucks about the promo material, I was hoping to get some good up lighting shots as it's a really nice room I'm in.

EDIT: Also where did you park up? Getting somewhere at night isn't a problem but my one in August is a full dayer so using the NCP is going to cost a fortune.

Ask them about photos and see what response you get.

I just had to drive around until I found a place. Ended up on Hope Street. (free after 6:30pm)

UPDATE. I also remembered that the rush to get there may have been unnecessary. People left the room at 7:20pm (much later than I was told). They took 90mins to change the room around. Ages to put the stage up. If I hadn't have started pre-setting up at the side of the stage area I would have been delayed. I was ready and playing music at 8:40pm and I informed that Bride that the band were just doing a sound check. At 8:45pm the staff were still holding the doors closed. I asked why and was told that the duty manager had to check the room before doors could be opened!! He turned up at 9:00pm. Didn't check the room but just rang a bell to ask folk to enter. The First Dance was 9:10pm. It was supposed to be 7:30pm. I was in the building for 6:40pm waiting to set-up.

Lee

12-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Cheers for the info mate. The 1st one I've got coming up is going to be from the breakfast onwards so apparently I'll be able to load into a side room, set up and then wheel it in after the ceremony but by the sounds of the way things are run, I won't hold me breath.

Shaun
12-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Sounds like a nightmare. Thanks for the info Lee. One more to add to my 'avoid' list.

leelive
12-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Photos (I await the legal letter) of me alongside the band.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1044304_10151718117481676_319842050_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1044928_10151718117231676_2022946368_n.jpg

The room at the end of the meal.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1000835_10151718117441676_181493343_n.jpg

Lee

12-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Sounds like a nightmare. Thanks for the info Lee. One more to add to my 'avoid' list.

I've not got any on my avoid list (though a few require extra financial incentives to make it worth the trouble) but I fear this might be going on the list.

Corabar Entertainment
12-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Ever considered that Lee is making it all up to see off the competition? :p:p:D

leelive
12-07-2013, 09:43 PM

Ssh! I was hoping no-one would realise what I was up to.

Lee

Shaun
12-07-2013, 10:06 PM

:d

12-07-2013, 11:17 PM

I wish he was. It's a notorious venue. :(

29-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Just as an aside Lee.

Did anyone ask to see all of the guff they ask you to provide?

I've got copies of my PAT and PLI in my laptop case at all times but from what I hear, they aren't too sharp at chasing even that up so I don't particularly feel the need to come up with method statements and risk assessments that will never be asked for.

leelive
29-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Just as an aside Lee.

Did anyone ask to see all of the guff they ask you to provide?

I've got copies of my PAT and PLI in my laptop case at all times but from what I hear, they aren't too sharp at chasing even that up so I don't particularly feel the need to come up with method statements and risk assessments that will never be asked for.

No. Unlike their sister hotel, The George in Edinburgh, they didn't ask to see any documents.

Lee

02-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Off there for an overnight with the missus after she won a competition. Free wine and some champers which is incredibly handy given I'm trying to stay off the bevvy until October :daft:

Going to get a walk through of the load so I know exactly what to expect. Had a client meeting there earlier in the week and upsold some mood lighting :beer1:

30-08-2013, 11:58 AM
D-Day tomorrow.

Sent the paperwork through via e-mail last week and not even had a courtesy response to say it's been received. Typical. :rolleyes:

I don't know how practical or sensible this is but I was talking to a buddy from a band that does the GCH Xmas party nights and he said that they park in the little loading bay inshot across from the Tempus restaurant entrance on Hope Street (just before you have to turn left as the bus lane starts) and load into the Tempus / Deli Central entrance from there.

I can't see it being any easier as you've not even got the option of the lift here but it's another option I suppose if you don't mind crossing a busy street with tonnes of gear!!!

On the upside I'm doing Sloane's in a few weeks and instead of the venue's idea to park up with the hazards on in Argyle Street outside the main entrance lane (aka double yellows, bus stops and zebra crossings ville) just isn't happening.

I'm planning on parking in the Mitchell Street NCP and hustling the gear from there which is going to be an even bigger pain in the backside than GCH.:Censored:

01-09-2013, 12:12 PM
FINAL REPORT:

Load in was a pain in the arse - I live less than 6 miles from the place and with a 12 o clock finish I didn't get in the house till half 2!!! Thank god for wireless mood lights or I'd have been there for breakfast this morning.

Had a roadie for loading in but dealt with load out myself. Will probably do the same in future. The distance and time doesn't really bother me but you don't want to be :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored:ing around before a gig with the clock ticking.

21-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Word of warning - they've retrofitting the small lift (the closest one to the loading bay, not the main one you use the service key for) where instead of the inside cage that you pull across, it now has a metal sliding plate (a bit like in a service hatch) which slides from the top of the lift.

My roadie ended up stuck in there untill he managed to find the latch to unlock the outer door - none of the staff seemed to know the new way the lift worked... it was lucky he'd been in the lift to unlock it from the inside, if I'd just put my gear in and tried to send it up, it would have been stuck in there.

Absolute nightmare getting out too which culminated in a flat battery in that horrible little catacomb of a load in bay but that is for another story. Just beware of that lift next time you're doing it. From here on in I'm going to try and always use the big lifts that use the service key.