PDA

View Full Version : For other Cortex users!

Creature
26-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Recently just looked at my harddrive that i use with my cortex 1000 and noticed there are a load of .idx files ?

example - Tne Beatles - A Hard Days Night.mp3 - it may have Tne Beatles - A Hard Days Night.mp3.idx (this is a sample only!)

anyone got any ideas what they are please ?

Excalibur
26-05-2013, 10:12 PM
We've had this explained before, but I can't remember exactly, and neither can I find it in a search. A quick Google says it's an index file, used to aid searching. I think ( and I could be wrong ) that VBR files need them to function properly. Amazon downloads will generate them I believe. I've del;eted them mny times, but as soon as you play the track or index the drive, I think they're re-created.

I hope one of the computer geniuses comes along and gives chapter and verse on it. Only thing I can say with complete confidence is that they're completely harmless, and often beneficial.

Creature
26-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Cheers Excalibur, thought I had got rid of all the VBR files last year,will have another look. and see if they come back :)

just interested thats all :)

katman
27-05-2013, 12:58 AM
I think ( and I could be wrong ) that VBR files need them to function properly.

If they only get created for VBR files, it could be so it can keep track of where in the file a particular timestamp is. A particular point in a Fixed bitrate file can be calculated quite easily but with variable but rate the one minute point (for example) in a track would be at a different offset from the start of the file dependent on the musical content of the track.

spin mobile disco
27-05-2013, 09:51 PM
If they only get created for VBR files, it could be so it can keep track of where in the file a particular timestamp is. A particular point in a Fixed bitrate file can be calculated quite easily but with variable but rate the one minute point (for example) in a track would be at a different offset from the start of the file dependent on the musical content of the track.

After a brief look through the manual it seems to indicate that they are the cue point files for previously saved cues for a song.

Excalibur
27-05-2013, 10:47 PM
After a brief look through the manual it seems to indicate that they are the cue point files for previously saved cues for a song.
Not sure I agree with that. I famously work with NTFS drives, and I can't save cue points on them with a Cortex.

Creature
27-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Me neither as i didnt cue up the files that have this file extention