PDA

View Full Version : dots and inches

Ricesnaps
25-10-2006, 06:11 AM
Just been trying to organise some magnetic banners for the van.

However one of the "logo's" I want to use I only have as a .JPG file - which is how it was sent when designed (by Mr Pagan Flame no less, thank you kind sir - by the way anyone seen him lately, not noticed him posting....).

However, the magnetic banner company tell me that it is too low resolution to blow up for a banner - must be more than 300 dpi I'm told. So is there any way I can solve this - would a print followed by a re-scan solve it or can I increase the resolution of a file in some other way?

Dragonfly
25-10-2006, 08:05 AM
rice know you're a sensible chap but with magnetic banners just check what speed they are gaurenteed to stay on at i looked at a few who said will stay on upto 60mph just a thought.

Ricesnaps
25-10-2006, 10:11 AM
rice know you're a sensible chap but with magnetic banners just check what speed they are gaurenteed to stay on at i looked at a few who said will stay on upto 60mph just a thought.
Well thank you for your confidence in my van's abilities - surely you never thought I would be able to go any faster!!!

Anyway, anyone know the answer to my original question?

SonRise
25-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Adobe Photoshop CS2 has a nifty tool that enables some images to be expanded and still maintain their integrity. We used it to enlarge a logo to a size suitable for a 10' x 3' banner. In the final make up, if you sttod right in front of the banner, it did appear a little pixelated, but we were reminded that you don't actually read banners from 6" away (go right up to a billboard you will see what I mean)

Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Not perfection, but did the job. Perfection would be to have the image re-created at the required DPI or higher.

Paul.

Shaun
25-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Just been trying to organise some magnetic banners for the van.

However one of the "logo's" I want to use I only have as a .JPG file - which is how it was sent when designed (by Mr Pagan Flame no less, thank you kind sir - by the way anyone seen him lately, not noticed him posting....).

However, the magnetic banner company tell me that it is too low resolution to blow up for a banner - must be more than 300 dpi I'm told. So is there any way I can solve this - would a print followed by a re-scan solve it or can I increase the resolution of a file in some other way?

There's no way of increasing the image to a 300dpi resolution from a low res image without severe loss of quality. Printing and rescanning might be an option but I wouldn't think the results would be that great and wouldn't recommend it.

You may need to have the design redone completely at a higher resoltion.

spin mobile disco
25-10-2006, 11:05 AM
What about using a program with an anti aliasing feature. This helps images be increased in size while keeping definition. Not sure how well it works on a huge print but works ok with smaller to a3 size.