PDA

View Full Version : TV advertising (in waiting rooms)

ukpartydj
04-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Just wondering if anybody has tried it, had a call for a 30 second animation ad played every 10 mins in a local doctor's surgery and I know I read everything in the waiting room because I get bored and was wondering if anybody has tried it / how did it go?

I've been offered £20 a week for the above which I think is quite fair but I'm unsure if it will convert into £££££

Vectis
04-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Just wondering if anybody has tried it, had a call for a 30 second animation ad played every 10 mins in a local doctor's surgery and I know I read everything in the waiting room because I get bored and was wondering if anybody has tried it / how did it go?

I've been offered £20 a week for the above which I think is quite fair but I'm unsure if it will convert into £££££

Considering the general demographics of the folks who inhabit doctors' waiting rooms, they wouldn't be my kind of customer. Not being snobbish, but they tend to be made up of 70% over 60s and 29% Waynetta types with half a dozen iphone-toting brats in tow.

IMHO.

ukpartydj
04-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Considering the general demographics of the folks who inhabit doctors' waiting rooms, they wouldn't be my kind of customer. Not being snobbish, but they tend to be made up of 70% over 60s and 29% Waynetta types with half a dozen iphone-toting brats in tow.

IMHO.

Fair comment, I'd imagine I would most likely get kids parties from it if anything and older folk. I think it's just the fact that you're stuck in a waiting room for 20-40 mins in my experience and it's probably one of the most effective types of advertising (for imprinting the brand into somebody's head) because they have literally nothing to do but wait and waste time.

ukpartydj
04-06-2013, 01:39 PM
I've decided to go with it -

They play a number of government adverts like the stoke & smoking ads you see mixed in with business adverts.

20 second ad every 10 mins
300 patients a day
Average waiting time per patient 20-30 mins
£15 per week for a year
An animated advertisement created which I can use elsewhere and the ones I was shown do look very good.

Whilst it is quite expensive - £780 in total after VAT etc etc It seems quite reasonable. Only time will tell.

Here is their website if anybody is interested - http://cnetwork.tv/

Vectis
04-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Good luck with that.

I think that if I'd tried it, I would have come up with a unique alias - eg. Doctor DJ - that would a) cement the two things more rigidly in folks' minds and b) help me track the effectiveness of the ad.

:beer1:

ukpartydj
04-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Good luck with that.

I think that if I'd tried it, I would have come up with a unique alias - eg. Doctor DJ - that would a) cement the two things more rigidly in folks' minds and b) help me track the effectiveness of the ad.

:beer1:

There is a DJ literally a few houses down from me that calls himself "Dr Disco". Clever idea will have a think about that!

Andy Collins
04-06-2013, 04:27 PM
I did this a couple of years ago in a registry office. I got my money back off it, just. But I would never do it in a doctors?? The last thing I would be thinking in a doctors waiting room would be, Oh I must book a DJ.

It's the equivalent of Thomas cook holiday ads playing in a operation theatre.

Good luck with it - money would've been better spent on ad words

ukpartydj
04-06-2013, 04:54 PM
The last thing I would be thinking in a doctors waiting room would be, Oh I must book a DJ.

Until now! I'll have to see how it goes, I just figure that when I wait for the doctors I just read all the "check you moles" and information on this disease info posters.
My thinking is that 1500 people a week can potentially see it, if one of those people goes away each week and books I'm very happy.

Registry office sounds like a better place to have an advert, however I guess that only aims at weddings. How much did you pay out of interest?

Vectis
04-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Registry office sounds like a better place to have an advert, however I guess that only aims at weddings.

And Christenings / baptisms. And wakes. :zip:

Andy Collins
04-06-2013, 05:34 PM
I only paid £280 plus vat from the original £620 that they wanted due to the fact I stood my ground and told them it wouldn't work. They disagreed of course so after a lot of phone calls and email tennis I told them to prove me wrong and if they had so much faith in their product and it works they would have a good customer in me and the fact I could potentially put them in touch with many other entertainment providers.

I only got 1 job as a direct result from it for a wedding in a community centre which I charged them £250. They wanted the cake mood lit so I charged them £30. So I got my money back on the ad.

It proved my point, how many times have you been in a dentist, doctor, airport or anywhere like that and saw an ad on a public information display and thought wow! I must write the number down.

You don't. Simply because you're not in the mindset of looking for a service. Any service. When I'm at a doctors the only thing is on my mind is 1. What's the point in having an appointment time if they don't keep to it, and 2. I just want to get better.

I can't see a spotty teenager coming up to his 21st birthday in a doctor surgery needing crab lotion thinking I must book a DJ for my birthday!

Vectis
04-06-2013, 05:44 PM
I only paid £280 plus vat from the original £620 that they wanted due to the fact I stood my ground and told them it wouldn't work. They disagreed of course so after a lot of phone calls and email tennis I told them to prove me wrong and if they had so much faith in their product and it works they would have a good customer in me and the fact I could potentially put them in touch with many other entertainment providers.

I only got 1 job as a direct result from it for a wedding in a community centre which I charged them £250. They wanted the cake mood lit so I charged them £30. So I got my money back on the ad.

It proved my point, how many times have you been in a dentist, doctor, airport or anywhere like that and saw an ad on a public information display and thought wow! I must write the number down.

You don't. Simply because you're not in the mindset of looking for a service. Any service. When I'm at a doctors the only thing is on my mind is 1. What's the point in having an appointment time if they don't keep to it, and 2. I just want to get better.

I can't see a spotty teenager coming up to his 21st birthday in a doctor surgery needing crab lotion thinking I must book a DJ for my birthday!

:agree:

Which is why I suggested some kind of mental manipulation to help the ad stick in the mind - eg. Doctor DJ or somesuch.

ukpartydj
04-06-2013, 06:03 PM
I see exactly where you're coming from.
Have you not ever seen an advert in a scenario where you wouldn't take the number down or didn't need that service but instead you make a mental note / remember that advert as it may prove useful in the future?
This is exactly the process I followed and I'm hoping my ad will achieve -

I thought - I want to get my equipment PAT tested soon.
I saw a car advertising PAT testing with a easy to remember name - DAMPAT
nearly a month later when I needed my PAT testing done I remembered the company name and they happened to be cheaper - I booked them.
Now they've put their prices up so I'll try and spot another car one day. :)

Same with van insurance, I wasn't prompted to renew by a TV ad ... I just remembered the stupid go compare man when I needed to renew.

Unsure if they'll let me but I will pop in once it's up and ask if I can leave some business cards next to the magazines also.

Edit - missed the last post!

Andy Collins
04-06-2013, 07:18 PM
I hope it works for you mate, I really do but the scenarios are completely different. Being in a bus in a gaze looking around without a care in the world is different than being somewhere for a purpose.

Take a petrol station for instance, they have advertising on the hose handle. Have you seen it? When was the last time you looked at it and thought yes, I must make a mental note of that or ill think ill buy that. You simply don't because you are at the petrol station for a specific purpose.

It's the same when I advertised in the registry office. People think its a good idea when infact the last thing on a happy couples mind is booking a DJ, getting a drain unblocked or sorting out double glazing. They are there for one specific purpose.

As Martin said, every time I go to the doctor it's always full of pensioners wanting their yearly check up or the down and outs looking for a methadone fix, anyone in between are either too ill to even think about a party or manic depressants.

But it's done now. I hope you make your money back but I think you'll learn a lot from this as I did.

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-06-2013, 10:41 PM

Whenever I'm in a Dr's surgery, I am normally in pain, or uncomfortable and don't really want to be there. The last thing I would be doing is thinking about organising a function or writing numbers down.

BeerFunk
04-06-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm not sure that it's a terrible idea, well, I agree that booking a disco is likely to be fairly low on your list of priorities while awaiting your appointment. However, the one thing that is almost guaranteed in most GP practices, is that you're going to be sitting around and waiting for a while. It's a definitely a captive audience. If you've got that much time to sit and think, then yes, it could be worthwhile.

ukpartydj
05-06-2013, 10:26 AM
I must admit I'm starting to think differently about this now ... just been reading the contract and it's a not very nice one.
You need to provide 6 months notice before cancellation or they sign you up for another year and some not so great terms in there suggesting it's a 2 year minimum contract.
Along with Andy's comments I'm starting to think whilst this may well work very well it's a gamble.

I will have a think today and maybe send them a cancellation letter as there is always a 7 day cooling off period with these things.

DazzyD
05-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Every form of paid-for advertising is a gamble. But it should be a calculated risk and not just a stab in the dark (unless you were born lucky!).

However, I think I'd prefer "targeted" advertising which is putting yourself in front of people who may actually want to pay for your services. I agree that, with this scenario, you have a captive audience of people sitting around waiting for their name to be called but, for advertising to work, you need to reach people who are in a "buying" mood. I wouldn't think a doctor's surgery waiting room would foster such an atmosphere! Being made to wait generates low mood which is pretty much the exact opposite of what you need!

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-06-2013, 11:43 AM
I must admit I'm starting to think differently about this now ... just been reading the contract and it's a not very nice one.
You need to provide 6 months notice before cancellation or they sign you up for another year and some not so great terms in there suggesting it's a 2 year minimum contract.
Along with Andy's comments I'm starting to think whilst this may well work very well it's a gamble.

I will have a think today and maybe send them a cancellation letter as there is always a 7 day cooling off period with these things.

I hope you're right, but you might find that with business to business, there isn't.

ukpartydj
06-06-2013, 02:24 PM
I hope you're right, but you might find that with business to business, there isn't.

You could be right, I've written them a nice letter explaining I wasn't made aware of any terms and conditions which is true as they happen to be only on the customer copy which you get once you've signed (that crappy carbon paper stuff). To be honest if they are the sort of business that won't allow me to cancel a contract despite acting quickly (less than 2 days) then I'll be more than happy to make things more difficult for them.

DazzyD
07-06-2013, 07:47 AM
You could be right, I've written them a nice letter explaining I wasn't made aware of any terms and conditions which is true as they happen to be only on the customer copy which you get once you've signed (that crappy carbon paper stuff). To be honest if they are the sort of business that won't allow me to cancel a contract despite acting quickly (less than 2 days) then I'll be more than happy to make things more difficult for them.

You signed a contract without previewing the T&Cs? :doh:

Oh, did you not notice Clause #967 which states you must pay me £5,000 due to you being gullible??? :muppet: :zip:

A quick note to any new (or even established) business-folk out there. READ THE SMALL PRINT BEFORE SIGNING ANYTHING!!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-06-2013, 11:13 AM

I think you're being a little naive to be honest thinking you can 'make things difficult' for them.

ukpartydj
07-06-2013, 12:32 PM
You signed a contract without previewing the T&Cs? :doh:

Oh, did you not notice Clause #967 which states you must pay me £5,000 due to you being gullible??? :muppet: :zip:

A quick note to any new (or even established) business-folk out there. READ THE SMALL PRINT BEFORE SIGNING ANYTHING!!!

I read everything on the front of the contract (where you sign). The contract however was one of them white sheets (their copy) with your copy being yellow with the T&Cs printed on the back, I naively assumed that as their was plenty of terms on the front which was probably all of them.
Of course it was rather stupid looking back, however they've agreed to cancel the contract now so at least that is done.

I think you're being a little naive to be honest thinking you can 'make things difficult' for them.

I disagree, I think that the methods they used to obtain my signature (not providing T&C's until after signature) and high pressure selling along with a couple of lies regarding payment methods and other things I won't bother going into may not be a case for Trading standards but a few complaints like these and after digging around a bit there are a few could cause some trouble.
Also it'd take me 30mins to make a webpage describing the details of what happened and my overall honest opinion and I bet I could get it to rank right next to their website... could put a lot of customers off.

As it happens they were nice enough despite their quite unforgiving contract.

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-06-2013, 12:58 PM
I disagree, I think that the methods they used to obtain my signature (not providing T&C's until after signature) and high pressure selling along with a couple of lies regarding payment methods and other things I won't bother going into may not be a case for Trading standards but a few complaints like these and after digging around a bit there are a few could cause some trouble.
Also it'd take me 30mins to make a webpage describing the details of what happened and my overall honest opinion and I bet I could get it to rank right next to their website... could put a lot of customers off.

As it happens they were nice enough despite their quite unforgiving contract.

I speak from experience. I was burned on a very similar thing about 25 years ago, which is why I know how hard it can be to get out of a contract.

Making a website is a bit pathetic. This is business, not silly boys games.

You'll be sending your Dad round soon...:rolleyes:

ukpartydj
07-06-2013, 01:33 PM
I speak from experience. I was burned on a very similar thing about 25 years ago, which is why I know how hard it can be to get out of a contract.

You'll be sending your Dad round soon...:rolleyes:

Business may be business but I refuse to allow anybody to take advantage of me without repercussions.
An example being - A business owed me £980 and refused to pay within the specified timescale despite several extensions - the debt soon became near £2000 and a terrible credit rating.
I spoke to another person who had dealing with the same business and he just forgot about the debt and moved on.

You may like biting the bullet, I personally don't like the taste in my mouth.

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Business may be business but I refuse to allow anybody to take advantage of me without repercussions.

It has nothing to do with that. You are coming over like a child who can't get his own way, with a 'send the boys round' type attitude, which has nothing to do with this contract or even business.

I hope you get out of this contract, but don't sit there being a keyboard warrior pretending you are some kind of gangster.

You run a small business in the South of England, not a multi national. Let's keep things in focus shall we? This is a contract that you signed. They didn't 'make' you sign it.

I lost quite a lot of money a few years ago as a Hotel went into administration. There was nothing I could do about it. Do you suppose I threatened the directors or tried to be a pain to get my money? No, of course not as it wouldn't make any difference. It's just business. Deal with it my friend.

Marc J
07-06-2013, 02:57 PM

Hey, don't dis dissing people on the internet until you've tried it :p ;)

Shaun
07-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Hey, don't dis dissing people on the internet until you've tried it :p ;)

I get the feeling there's a story in there somewhere? :d

ukpartydj
07-06-2013, 03:56 PM
It has nothing to do with that. You are coming over like a child who can't get his own way, with a 'send the boys round' type attitude, which has nothing to do with this contract or even business.

I hope you get out of this contract, but don't sit there being a keyboard warrior pretending you are some kind of gangster.

You run a small business in the South of England, not a multi national. Let's keep things in focus shall we? This is a contract that you signed. They didn't 'make' you sign it.

I lost quite a lot of money a few years ago as a Hotel went into administration. There was nothing I could do about it. Do you suppose I threatened the directors or tried to be a pain to get my money? No, of course not as it wouldn't make any difference. It's just business. Deal with it my friend.

Nailed it in one :)

Marc J
10-06-2013, 08:34 AM
I get the feeling there's a story in there somewhere? :d

Haha, I'm afraid not! I'm with Daz on this one :)