PDA

View Full Version : Website logo creator/editor

vinamtaylor
12-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Hi all I am busy refreshing my basic web site and would like to create a new website logo that could also be used on my stationery .what I want to do is have a play around with various options untill I get something I can either use or then present to a profesional to polish up for me before publishing on line I have looked at Wordpress as one option but want to drag and drop from a saved logo or theme first. Any recommendations for a programe that will do this also I use PC and IPAD so a programe that could work on both would be good.
Thanks Vince.

ppentertainments
12-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Hi all I am busy refreshing my basic web site and would like to create a new website logo that could also be used on my stationery .what I want to do is have a play around with various options untill I get something I can either use or then present to a profesional to polish up for me before publishing on line I have looked at Wordpress as one option but want to drag and drop from a saved logo or theme first. Any recommendations for a programe that will do this also I use PC and IPAD so a programe that could work on both would be good.
Thanks Vince.
Pass on your ideas to a professional and see what they come up with - you may be surprised at what they can come up with.

vinamtaylor
12-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Pass on your ideas to a professional and see what they come up with - you may be surprised at what they can come up with.

That is my intention but I want to have a play around with ideas and designs myself first and find office etc too generic for this sort of thing but don't want to buy a full graphic design programme

SC Events
12-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Give Leap Creative (http://www.leapcreative.co.uk/) a call. They advertise on here and they don't charge much for logo design.

0161 820 2212

Shaun
12-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Give Leap Creative (http://www.leapcreative.co.uk/) a call. They advertise on here and they don't charge much for logo design.

0161 820 2212

I know there are happy customers of Leap Creative here on the forum, but I think I think in the interest of balance I should point out the thread linked to below to vinamintaylor (as there still appears to be an ongoing issue with one of our members and leapcreative).
http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?40482-Leap-Creative-48-press.

Jiggles
12-06-2013, 11:31 AM
I am willing to do the logo for you! :) Email me with your ideas and I can send you a quote: quotes[at]kalaxhosting.co.uk

Callum

DJ Jules
12-06-2013, 11:31 AM

:agree: It'll save you time and money in the long run. Most companies are very reasonable when it comes to setting up a logo/brand for you as they know it'll lead into more work once you've got it cracked.

I used Callum at http://www.kalaxhosting.co.uk/ to do this back in Nov and he was very quick and very reasonable to boot :D

Julian

Edit: Beat me to it Callum ;)

Shaun
12-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Callum gets my recommendation too.

vinamtaylor
12-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys but my op still stands I am looking for a programme that I can use myself to give me some ideas to play around with at my leisure before I ask a pro to polish and tweak it for me. When I have done that then I will go to a professional I like to learn new skills and this is one I have been wanting to try for a while if I give up after trying for my self then so be it but for now I am viewing this as a new project for me.

Shaun
12-06-2013, 10:25 PM
For Raster based designs (similar to Photoshop) try Gimp. It's free.

Most logo designs are done in vector software (i.e. adobe illustrator and Corel Draw). Unfortunately I don't know any free or low priced ones.

For messing around it's worth giving Gimp a try. I've only briefly used it but it seemed ok.

ukpartydj
13-06-2013, 12:51 PM
If you don't mind spending a little bit of money try having a look on ebay for old versions of -

Photoshop
Fireworks
Coraldraw

I managed to get an old version of dreamweaver, flash and fireworks (when it was macromedia and not adobe) - does the job and as with all programs like these the extra features normally aren't all that necessary. I know a full time Trance DJ & producer that still uses Cubase 3.0 (2004) All the effects in the newer programs can normally be achieved in the older ones but may require a bit of extra work.

To be honest though if you're not willing to invest some hours into learning how to use a program it's not worth the hassle - just get somebody else to do it.

DazzyD
13-06-2013, 01:13 PM
GIMP is a lot more powerful than it's price tag (ie free!) would have you believe! But it's not great for novices - it takes some getting used to to get the best out of it (I haven't gotten that far yet but I'm on the right road!!).

tumbledown
19-06-2013, 07:49 AM
pixlr.com is a free online photo editor very similar to Photoshop and pretty good. Google 'pixlr logo tutorials' and you should find plently of useful videos etc

Corabar Entertainment
19-06-2013, 10:27 AM
For Raster based designs (similar to Photoshop) try Gimp. It's free.

Most logo designs are done in vector software (i.e. adobe illustrator and Corel Draw). Unfortunately I don't know any free or low priced ones.

For messing around it's worth giving Gimp a try. I've only briefly used it but it seemed ok.I love Gimp, but if you're looking for vector software for free, (which, as Shaun rightly says, is best for logos), get Inkscape.

GIMP is a lot more powerful than it's price tag (ie free!) would have you believe! But it's not great for novices - it takes some getting used to to get the best out of it (I haven't gotten that far yet but I'm on the right road!!).
However, if you're having fun with Gimp, you might find Inkscape a challenge!

Marc J
19-06-2013, 03:08 PM
I tried Gimp once but the ball gag was uncomfortable...

Shaun
19-06-2013, 03:17 PM
I tried Gimp once but the ball gag was uncomfortable...

Yep, I can imagine you in a gimp mask.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Sexual references Mr Admin?