PDA

View Full Version : Using a venue name in the URL

Spirits High
17-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Afternoon!

Here's one for the web gurus & legal eagles.

Are you allowed legally to use a venues name in a url for your own purposes eg: thesavoyhotelweddingdisco.co.uk or along the lines of weddingdjtheritz.co.uk you get the jist of it.

Is allowed legally or just frowned upon? I know of a photographer round my way that has registered lots of domains in this vein.

BeerFunk
17-06-2013, 06:58 PM
My understanding of domain name registration is that anything is allowed in principle, but can be objected to later. If the objection is upheld, you'll have wasted your money.

I think it's highly unlikely that the venue would other to object to it, but then, why wouldn't you ask them beforehand anyway? :confused:

Vectis
17-06-2013, 07:28 PM
It wouldn't be long before one or more of the aggrieved venues decided to use the Nominet DRS if they weren't happy with the arrangement
http://www.nominet.org.uk/disputes/when-use-drs

It could be an expensive lesson!

Marc J
18-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Expensive only for those using the DRS...if you don't fight it and give them the domain it has only cost you whatever registration period is left on the domain...a few pounds at most?

Or, just get .com :)

ukpartydj
18-06-2013, 08:37 AM
No idea on the legality of this one - it would definitely :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored: me off if somebody was using my hotel's good name to advertise their totally unrelated service with no benefits for myself.

Vectis
18-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Legally? So long as you weren't passing yourself off as the organisation in question, then I'm pretty sure there's nothing that can be done.

DazzyD
18-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Legally? So long as you weren't passing yourself off as the organisation in question, then I'm pretty sure there's nothing that can be done.

Usually, you can't trademark general everyday words - they have to be unique words used only in a single context such as the word "iPod". "Personal Music Player" wouldn't be allowed as it's not specific enough. So, in theory, there shouldn't be a legal issue here. As Martin says, it only becomes illegal if you are deliberately trying to make people think that you are in someway connected with a registered trademark. For example, I could register a domain www.ilovemcdonalds.co.uk and make it clear that I am an not McDonalds. But, if I registered www.mcdonalds.org or www.mcdonalds.net then a simple disclaimer "www.mcdonalds.org is in no way connected with McDonalds Inc. and no connection now, in the past or in the future is implied" would be enough PROVIDING McDonaldsdon't object. Nominet is scared of big businesses so would probably ask me to relinquish the domain but couldn't, legally, force me to do so. If I refused the next step would be for McDonalds to take me court for copyright/trademark infringement or whatever the charge of trying to make people believe I'm connected to McDonalds would be (can't think right now!). It would then be up to a judge to decide if my domain name breaches the trademark or is liable to confuse people in to thinking that I am McDonalds.

I only used McDonalds as an example! And this is only my take on things. I'm not a trademark/copyright lawyer!

yourdj
18-06-2013, 01:29 PM
I do this, but include information and advertising for the venue.
Been online and unchanged for four years and no one has said anything.

http://www.newforestwedding.co.uk/careys-manor-wedding-dj.html

ukpartydj
18-06-2013, 01:54 PM
I do this, but include information and advertising for the venue.
Been online and unchanged for four years and no one has said anything.

http://www.newforestwedding.co.uk/careys-manor-wedding-dj.html

Looks fine to me - you're not claiming to be the official DJ of careys manor - just providing information of what you would do if you were to be booked at the venue.
Don't like that photo though ... makes me feel dizzy!

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Looks fine to me - you're not claiming to be the official DJ of careys manor

Well, yes he is...

I am the resident DJ at Careys Manor and perform at over 100 weddings a year across the New Forest.

:D

ukpartydj
19-06-2013, 08:25 AM
then why haven't you bought - www.careys-manor-wedding-dj.co.uk ??
Think of all the extra bookings you'd get :(