PDA

View Full Version : Magical disappearing track!

Spirits High
30-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Very strange last night at gig. Went to play a track I knew I had - 7 Nation Army by the White Stripes, was it there? Nope! Totally gone :eek: I'd played it a few weeks ago so it was definitely there then but not last night. Very weird. Got the laptop & HD out now and it's disappeared. Have done an "Add to search DB" on VDJ and still nothing!

Venue had rubbish wifi so couldn't get it through that. Luckliy I've got the Amazon app on my BB so managed to download it on that although not with a 3g signal so it took ages. However it all worked fine and the guests were none the wiser.

A classic case of improvise, adapt & overcome ;)

Excalibur
30-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Interesting that you should mention this. I know Darren's had some disappear, and recently I have too. Neil Diamond-Sweet Caroline greatest hits version has gone walkabout, but I still have a compilation version, so no worries. The other week, I wanted to play Slim Whitman-Happy Anniversary, ( surprisingly enough, at an anniversary gig. :D:D ) It wasn't on either of the laptop drives at all.

Last night, I used a Cortex as backup, and just checked there. I knew Sweet Caroline was on that, and it was. So was Happy Anniversary. :daft: Do laptops do something funny to hard drives that the Cortex doesn't? I'm of a mind to wipe the database on the laptop drives, create one from scratch, and see if the errant tracks return. ( I haven't checked to see if Windows explorer can find them ) Curious.

Sapphire Disco
30-06-2013, 06:58 PM
I have had a few tracks disappear it's not so much that they've gone that concerns me it's what other ones that have gone that I don't know about yet , it's shame there is not a way of checking your data base against a master data base but that would be asking too much I guess.

Excalibur
30-06-2013, 09:42 PM
I have had a few tracks disappear it's not so much that they've gone that concerns me it's what other ones that have gone that I don't know about yet , it's shame there is not a way of checking your data base against a master data base but that would be asking too much I guess.

Oooooh no. Doddle. Two clicks.

Regular readers may already have guessed what software I'm about to recommend. While it doesn't directly compare the results, that is possible, but involving a bit of tedious work.

Media Monkey will create an Excel database of a drive. A bit of filtering would let you compare them without too much trouble, I suspect. There may even be a better way.

super-hero
02-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Just going through my database so that I can sort my cds into ones I have ripped as Wav files, and those ripped as Mp3's. Yes, I realize this is very sad, and I should get a life. But I was going to add genre tags to the database as I went, so not a total waste of time. Anyway, I digress.
So far I have found 10 whole albums which have disappeared from my database.

Sapphire Disco
02-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Oooooh no. Doddle. Two clicks.

Sorry Peter I didn't make myself very clear what I really meant was to check my database against some one else's database to see if I have any obvious tracks missing, or maybe something I never thought of before ?

Larry B Entertainment
23-07-2013, 11:43 AM
I have had some in PCDJ that somehow couldnt be seen. Turns out I had a virus that was putting random mp3s in the recycle bin. I found and ran a script to block files from being put there in the future.