PDA

View Full Version : Going rate for a roadie

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
27-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Just wondering what you guys are paying.

I've never really had to use one (I like to think of load ins and outs as a workout which I can't usually squeeze in on gig days) but I'm having to admit defeat on a few upcoming gigs and I'll need to get one at least few times in the coming months.

I want to give a fair price but also don't want to over pay and then risk being expected to pony that up every time in future.

What do you pay for someone just to help with a load in (i.e. they're in a central location where they can easilly get themselves home or go out on the ran dan after their duty) and what do you pay for someone to hang around on the night and help with the load out?

DazzyD
27-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Hi Jim

I'd say that the rate you decide to pay your roadie should be something you agree with him/her. The reason I say this is because all DJs charge different prices so can afford to pay roadies differing amounts. If I have to use additional* roadies I tend to pay them £40-50 depending on the job. Now I wouldn't expect a DJ charging £90-100 to be paying their roadie that amount. See where I'm coming from? Work out how much you're being paid, work out how much you can afford to hire in "muscle" and then agree a fee accordingly.

*I say "additional" roadie as I already have one permanent roadie in my brother so is also an equal partner in the business anyway. So he gets paid whatever happens.

Excalibur
27-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Two pints of Lager, and a packet of crisps. :D We know a song about that, don't we children?

Jim, Dazzy's spot on.

27-08-2013, 10:34 PM
I get that what you charge will largely influence what you offer I was just wondering if there was a rough "average"

I'm thinking for a load in - no setting up, just helping me schlep stuff - maybe 2 or 3 runs and nothing particularly heavy to lift - 20 quid and a pint would suffice. Is that reasonable or am I likely to cause offence? :confused:

I should take a leaf out of a mate's book. He's got a bad back so has his wife carry everything free :eek:

Excalibur
27-08-2013, 10:40 PM
I'm thinking for a load in - no setting up, just helping me schlep stuff - maybe 2 or 3 runs and nothing particularly heavy to lift - 20 quid and a pint would suffice. Is that reasonable or am I likely to cause offence? :confused:

If you're drawing £350 for the gig, yes it :Censored:would cause offence. If you're drawing £150, it seems fair. Do the sums. Simples. Don't forget that if you treat your roadie as merely someone who's just along for the ride, and a spot of beer money, you'll neither attract quality staff, nor keep any quality ones you may find.

ppentertainments
28-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Hi Jim

I'd say that the rate you decide to pay your roadie should be something you agree with him/her. The reason I say this is because all DJs charge different prices so can afford to pay roadies differing amounts. If I have to use additional* roadies I tend to pay them £40-50 depending on the job. Now I wouldn't expect a DJ charging £90-100 to be paying their roadie that amount. See where I'm coming from? Work out how much you're being paid, work out how much you can afford to hire in "muscle" and then agree a fee accordingly.

*I say "additional" roadie as I already have one permanent roadie in my brother so is also an equal partner in the business anyway. So he gets paid whatever happens.

£40 - £50, that's not far off what a lot of DJs get paid :-)

DazzyD
28-08-2013, 06:34 AM
£40 - £50, that's not far off what a lot of DJs get paid :-)

To be fair, after I've paid everyone else, it's not that far off what I get paid!!! :eek:

deltic
28-08-2013, 09:17 AM
I get that what you charge will largely influence what you offer I was just wondering if there was a rough "average"

I should take a leaf out of a mate's book. He's got a bad back so has his wife carry everything free :eek:

hardly seems worth paying a roadie for a couple of trips to the van.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-08-2013, 09:59 AM
If you're drawing £350 for the gig, yes it :Censored:would cause offence.

Sorry, but why? I pay some roadies £25 which they are happy with for an hour or twos work.

This is my living and not the people who are doing casual work.

Look at it pro rata Peter.

Why would you have to pay a roadie depending on what you get paid? Do you other businesses work things out this way?

28-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Deltic the load in is a bit of a pest in the venues I'm looking at getting folk in and will involve a bit of walking so having 2 pairs of legs and arms makes my life easier and means I can get it done a lot quicker which is the main reason.

Peter for the one this weekend the person will be carrying some moderately weighted gear (as I said, it'll be 3 runs tops) which I'll be helping with. That's it, no hanging around, no helping me set anything up - help me carry some bags and cases and then off you go, have a nice afternoon. At the very most it'll take an hour (and that's only if there's any issues getting through the building)

I don't think £20 for less than an hour of carrying some stuff is bad considering a lot of trades and professionals don't bring that in.

As for pricing it based on what I'm earning - do venues pay resident DJs in accordance with the kind of dough they're bringing in for weddings and corporate events? ;)

Andy Collins
28-08-2013, 10:53 AM
I pay mine between £60 and £100 depending what we are doing on the day. For that they stay with me all day / night - carry in and out and rig up.

ppentertainments
28-08-2013, 06:29 PM
For the rates mentioned on this thread, I'm glad I work alone. I guess those with wags who are happy to tag along must be laughing. ;)

28-08-2013, 09:40 PM
For the rates mentioned on this thread, I'm glad I work alone. I guess those with wags who are happy to tag along must be laughing. ;)

My missus offered to carry gear on Saturday but the less time I spend with her the better and if her biceps get any bigger I'm in danger of domestic abuse. :muppet:

Twinspin
10-09-2013, 11:54 PM
£50.00 I pay my roadie for the night. If its a lower paid job like a school disco for 90/120 minutes then £25.00

oligunner
11-09-2013, 12:02 PM
I picked up a cracking roadie £40 a night he alqays stayed with me and and was wanting to learn himself. So I had him helping setting up also ended up having him selecting tracks at like the beginning of the night when people were arriving. I can now send him out on jobs on his own. However it is small jobs where not much is needed to do.

So yes get a good roadie and treat them right it can work out to be a valuable resource.