PDA

View Full Version : DJ's being licenced, just like doormen licence

M4rky
29-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Hi all,
has anyone heard of this whisper going around, cos I just wanted to clarify this info. Apparently we are to be CRB checked, PLI'd, PAT tested & have to be certified & have a card or licence to show that you are not just swinging the lead so to speak. Someone also spoke to me to say that it is to stop the non tax paying DJ if any out there! dnt know if this is true, dnt know if it is a good idea. I know that i've been checked, got PLI, had PAT done & am paying tax... Please reply cos i need to know what other people/DJ's/KJ's/VJ's views are on this subject & has anyone heard if this is true or another red herring!

Cheers

MK:confused:

Candybeatdiscos
29-10-2006, 10:17 AM
i haven't heard this as such, certainly sounds a good idea and i for one would actually favour such a move, but to be honest as we are not regulated, who is going to enforce this?

Also Marky nice to meet you, why not pop into the newbie thread and introduce yourselve, we are quite a friendly bunch (well some of us anyway lol - just watch the mods :))

Dragonfly
29-10-2006, 10:44 AM
this story did the rounds on forums about 18 months ago ?? i certainly havent heard it mentioned to me or been approached about it ? know where i used to live cab driver had to have this sort of thing from the local council.?? watch this space.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Just a rumour.

How on earth do you think they would 'police' this?

Corabar Steve
29-10-2006, 12:26 PM
(well some of us anyway lol - just watch the mods :))
& the Admins! http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/ruinkai/FIREdevil.gif

Corabar Entertainment
29-10-2006, 01:28 PM
As each thing is dealt with by different regulartory bodies, and there is no legal requirement for some of those things anyway, I can't see it ever happening...... diffeent organisations co-operating? NEVER! :eek:

jamesh
29-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Great idea and has been one thats been floating around for a longtime but doubt it would ever happen and as others said it would be very difficult to police too...

Doubt it would stop the cowboys either as you will always find a pub / social club / private function tryping to save a few quid on the cost of their disco....

Have a disco
29-10-2006, 04:16 PM
rumour is still going strong and believe an MP is to put forward a white paper for all these type of careers ie window cleaning, DJing the list could be endless but it is a way of keeping us in check. Basically so tax man can see what were upto and will ensure local councils can see we are complying with ever increasing regulations. Even not claiming benefits illegally and such like etc etc

It wouldnt be that hard to police as they will just open another CSO type officer to do the job much like traffic walden positions have gone to them positions. they will soon be walking into pubs asking for our paperwork just shutting us down if we dont have it.

Another thorn coming our way but Im almost sorted awaiting it

LILLYSTONE
29-10-2006, 05:54 PM
How is anybody gonna stop me doing a disco if i don't have a licence if im doing a private party or working in a club?
Even police need permission to enter a social club unless they believe there is a crime taking place. And you wouldn't expect a man from the county council checking a village hall on a saturday evening on the off chance.
there are bigger fish to catch rather than us DJs who regulate ourselve quite well anyway.

superspindiscos
29-10-2006, 06:49 PM
great idea, even my sister who is a qualified hair-dresser tells me they have to have liscenes now so why not the DJ?

i think policing this would make it an impossible task tho and cannot see it ever happening

musicbox
29-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Well this will hapen, Spelthorn Council and Runneymede Council are checking up now on thier premises and yes they do go out on a Saturday night.
They will stop a function if the DJ has not got P.A.T testing and at least 2 Million PLI. they have the power to enter, seek and find attitude. They are also looking at the premises and making sure they are being used fully and for what they where hired for etc.
So yes it is starting to happen. There are talks of taking this further but has to go though a lot more processes yet, passed etc.
It will take the form of taxi drivers, and you will have to register at the local council to operate, that registration will carry to each other council etc. and it connected to the paper work already in operation with local councils, with concerns to new liecencing act.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Well this will hapen, Spelthorn Council and Runneymede Council are checking up now on thier premises and yes they do go out on a Saturday night.
They will stop a function if the DJ has not got P.A.T testing and at least 2 Million PLI. they have the power to enter, seek and find attitude. They are also looking at the premises and making sure they are being used fully and for what they where hired for etc.
So yes it is starting to happen. There are talks of taking this further but has to go though a lot more processes yet, passed etc.
It will take the form of taxi drivers, and you will have to register at the local council to operate, that registration will carry to each other council etc. and it connected to the paper work already in operation with local councils, with concerns to new liecencing act.

But there are a lot of non-council venues.

What will happen with them?

Thames Valley Discos
29-10-2006, 10:56 PM
its simple, provide one license that is affordable, maybe based on the money earnt by the disco in a financial year. have a sliding scale.make it easy to understand,then maybe we,d all be happy to comply. as it is now, its just a minefield.

Corabar Entertainment
29-10-2006, 10:58 PM
..but what would that licence certify and who would administer & police it?

Thames Valley Discos
29-10-2006, 11:00 PM
they would not ned to, say it cost £200, i,d be happy to pay that, then i,d advertise the fact to my clients that i had it. no need to police it if people were aware good discos had it

musicbox
29-10-2006, 11:01 PM
All liecenses are now govened by local council so they will come under the same roof in the end. That is why the local council venues are getting it right, so that they set an example they cay see how it works there wil be arguments.
The council know where all the venues are right down to little place under an alley etc. otherwise they dont have a liecence and the police will close them first.
Remember if the police think drink is being sold after the venues agreed hours they can go in, and then questions will be asked.
I used to be in the drink trade glad to be out if it now, the fines are out of this world if caught with anything out of place.
You might have noticed some pubs could not play music on thier tv's because they did tick the right boxes. Thats how fine tuned it is.

Thames Valley Discos
29-10-2006, 11:02 PM
who polices PAT and PLI, no one, yet we all have it.
As it stands, i have no idea what i should have to be totally covered from all angles.

musicbox
29-10-2006, 11:05 PM
who polices PAT and PLI, no one, yet we all have it.

Local councils around here are on thier own venues at present.

Corabar Entertainment
29-10-2006, 11:08 PM
OK, but what about what would it cover and who would administer it Paul?

Pete - surely there woud have to be changes to the law to get the local Councils the power to do all this?

Yes, there are law and powers in place for the sale of alcohol: yes, there are the entertainments licences - but they do not come anywhere near to covering the licencing of DJs..

Corabar Entertainment
29-10-2006, 11:09 PM
- Cheat Paul! :D You edited your last post after I started posting my reply! :D :D

Thames Valley Discos
29-10-2006, 11:10 PM
i know:D

Thames Valley Discos
29-10-2006, 11:12 PM
maybe it would be worth getting "caught", they might tell me what i need.
(not really Mr council officer):D

musicbox
29-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Steve yes you are right at present about not covering mobile disco's.
But to take equipment into and on to a venues they have to have P.A.T and to use them by another person not employed by the venue that person or company has to have PLI. that is was the laws are about.
The govenment what to take this further but have asked local councils to get their venues right and monitor it and feed back infomation on how it works then I am told that next year further changes will take place.
I am not saying this is just aimed at dj's it will go deeper than that.
In about 5 years time the dj from the outback will go, but so will alot more the person who just helps out etc. will have to be covered etc. the list is endless.
I am not sure about how this will span out, all I can see is the prices will go up to cover the cost of a new dimention.

Thames Valley Discos
29-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Boy, the council want to look closer to home, most of their venues leave a lot to be desired.
But a license that is affordable and easy to get, and covers everything, can only be a good thing.Wether that will ever happen, i doubt it!
I,m off to bed to think of such a license, i,ll inform you all of my findings in the morning. night night

Corabar Entertainment
29-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Pete - first of all, it's Angela, not Steve! :p

Secondly - neither PAT, nor PLI are actual LEGAL requirements as it stands. Yes, the Council can insist on any contractor having them if they are to come into their own premises - ie COUNCIL OWNED VENUES (just as any venue owner can dictate rules in their own venue, so long as they don't conradict the law), but, as far as I am aware, the have no powers to dictate to other venue owners in this regard or enter other premises to inspect.

Then, there is the point that we seem to be back to PAT & PLI again..... is that all this Licence/Register would be about? In which case there would seem to be very little point. The PLI held by any venue will almost certainly already stipulate that any conractor they have coming on site must have their own PLI, and some stipulate PAT - this is the reason that venues ask to see your paperwork: the fact that others don't ask for it just means that they aren't covering their backs on their own insurance!

Dragonfly
30-10-2006, 06:37 AM
ok maybe im over simplifying this but im a simple person (no comments please) would it be possible for venues to take the details of discos at each event and forward this list to the council on say a monthly basis who then could check them out. via say a producer like the police do present this document this document and this documents at the council offices within say 14 days or face a fine? then everyone gets put on a database when your bits of paper run out ... so when the name crops up again they cross check and can tell so you dont get a letter every week?

probably the rubbishest idea in the world but it is 7.40am

Thames Valley Discos
30-10-2006, 06:44 AM
i think the council are short of cash as it is, without creating a new department just to check on us guys/gals.

soundtracker
30-10-2006, 09:35 AM
As I understand it, Councils under the granting of PELs (Public Entertainment Licences) already have the power to remove a venues licence if they are using suppliers without PLI and PAT, but its up to the local council whether they employ anyone to enforce it. I've worked in the Town Hall locally, presented my certs and been greeted with totally blank looks- it may happen eventually, but will probably be enforced after some poor bugger has been electrocuted or such like!

Corabar Steve
30-10-2006, 10:32 AM
As I understand it, Councils under the granting of PELs (Public Entertainment Licences) already have the power to remove a venues licence if they are using suppliers without PLI and PAT, but its up to the local council whether they employ anyone to enforce it.

It wouldn't take too much for the existing licencing department to expand to take this into account as well as alcohol / entertainment etc as they hadle both already.