View Full Version : Digital DJ License

Candybeatdiscos
29-10-2006, 11:00 AM
when did this actually come into force?

DJ Magazine
Digital DJ License
The age of legal digital DJing has arrived
Words: Terry Church

After years of procrastinating, the UK’s broadcast royalties collection society, Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL), have created a licence for DJs wishing to play digital music files in public.

The Digital DJ license costs £200 per year and legally allows DJs to make up to 20,000 digital recordings onto a laptop or a computer to play out in clubs and pubs.

However, the license only covers DJs that play directly off laptops or computers.

It does not cover those that burn legally downloaded music onto CD, and even those that own a PPL Digital DJ license still face prosecution if caught doing so.

Peter Leathem from PPL said: “Before this license it was technically illegal to play mp3s in a club, but this digital license finally allows DJs to play off laptops or computers.”

“We will give DJs adequate time to purchase the license, and then will start regulating venues in the near future.”

He continued: “We’re also in talks with many big pub and club chains, and many of them are keen to have only licensed digital DJs playing in their venues.”

PPL’s Digital DJ license also allows DJs to keep back-ups of all their music files on a separate hard drive.

“This was something that we included in the scheme after having discussions with hundreds of professional DJs,” says Leathem.

“Originally, we were only going to allow 10,000 tracks to be downloaded per year with the license, but this has now been increased to 20,000 after many DJs suggested this figure was not high enough.”

Many will point out that policing DJs that play digital downloads off CD will be difficult.

After all, DJs have been doing this for years.

In response Leathem said: “There was a real need to establish a legal framework in regards to playing digital music in public.

“This has now been done, and soon we will make spot checks at clubs, and prosecute any digital DJs who don’t have the license.”

But how will PPL be able to tell if a digital music file has been legally, or illegally downloaded?

“Of course, this would be very difficult,” said Leathem.

“But we’ve given digital DJs a lifeline with this license, and we’re more concerned about those that continue to play digital music in public without it.”

Currently, only a handful of sites are offering PPL’s Digital DJ license, but the scheme will be available across the UK soon.

One such site – digitaldj.co.uk – has been set-up specifically to cater for the growing numbers of jocks going digital.

James Hudson, Marketing Manager at digitaldj.co.uk, said: “This is one of the most important industry developments in recent years.”

“Finally, digital DJs can play off their laptops without fear of being prosecuted.”

Digitaldj.co.uk is offering the PPL license on its own for £200, but for an extra £50 per year, DJs can gain full access to their website, which carries news, reviews, and features specifically written for DJs that have made the digital transition.

www.ppluk.com

For a PPL license visit: www.digitaldj.co.uk

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Last September.

Candybeatdiscos
29-10-2006, 11:11 AM
does thia mean we do not need the licence?

What is the Mobile DJ licence?

In addition to granting licences for specially featured entertainment, PPL also will grant licences to DJs who play sound recordings in public at individual and one off events. Examples of such events include fetes, outdoor shows, sports club discos and local businesses’ Christmas parties.

The mobile DJ licence does not cover the following:
(1) Events held in discotheques, nightclubs or similar venues.
(2) Permanent/regular engagements.
(3) Consecutive events held in the same venue.
(4) Events promoted by the mobile DJ. (you should contact PPL for the appropriate public performance licence for such events).
(5) Domestic events (e.g birthdays, weddings) which do not require a PPL public performance licence.

Further information on the licence fees and operation of Tariff 004 can be obtained from PPL’s website or by contacting the Public Performance Operations Team on []

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Lewnics

Loads has been posted and discussed about this - the best thing to do is have a look here http://djlicence.org.uk/ which will explain a lot more.

The current licences are under review.

Corabar Entertainment
29-10-2006, 01:07 PM
There's also some mis-information in the article Garry (Lewnics) posted! :eek:

Creature
29-10-2006, 03:26 PM
im beginning to hate this bloody licence - i dont use laptop or mp3s and when im contacted by some pubs/clubs/people they are starting to ask if i have the digital licence ????? no i say i dont need it i use cds, but we dont want an disco that not got this licence - we have to cover ourselves :(:( - ah well there goes another booking up the wall

LILLYSTONE
29-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Everything i've read about the licence on the NADJ website tells me not to get the licence yet. It might be changing! There is a working party that are in contact with PPL & PRS & the govenment (i think), working to make it more DJ friendly.

Corabar Entertainment
29-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Everything i've read about the licence on the NADJ website tells me not to get the licence yet. It might be changing! There is a working party that are in contact with PPL & PRS & the govenment (i think), working to make it more DJ friendly.Hence

Lewnics

Loads has been posted and discussed about this - the best thing to do is have a look here http://djlicence.org.uk/ which will explain a lot more.

The current licences are under review.That's a link to the Licensing Working Party's website..... they are the ones who are talking to the relevant authorities

superspindiscos
29-10-2006, 06:40 PM
as someone who paid the £200+ for this liscense id really say its a complete waste of time and have never been asked for it yet. however much like anything it gives the air of legitamcy and lines the pockets of the PPL

awaiting an all-in-one liscence for all our needs.....

pagan_flame
29-10-2006, 06:42 PM
im beginning to hate this bloody licence - i dont use laptop or mp3s and when im contacted by some pubs/clubs/people they are starting to ask if i have the digital licence ????? no i say i dont need it i use cds, but we dont want an disco that not got this licence - we have to cover ourselves :(:( - ah well there goes another booking up the wall...which is why I have bitten the bullet and got one - £200 a year versus losing multiple bookings at £200+ a time - not difficult maths, that one... but then the sort of bookings you are referring to is where our old mate Johnny Homemix will just turn up at the pub and plug his laptop into the pub sound system for 50 quid a night.

LILLYSTONE
29-10-2006, 06:46 PM
JOHNY HOMEMIX!!!! Does he work for Aplus Entertainment??

Candybeatdiscos
29-10-2006, 06:55 PM
only at the weekends i believe

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-10-2006, 06:58 PM
There is a working party that are in contact with PPL & PRS & the govenment (i think), working to make it more DJ friendly.

I'm a member of the LWP and no, as far as I'm aware we haven't been in contact with Tony yet...:p