PDA

View Full Version : 29 Private Members Club, Glasgow

leelive
03-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Anyone DJd at 29 Private Members Club in Glasgow?
I am looking for some advice on how to get in to the place.
Google maps shows it as a pedestrianised area. I am also confused by the one way system around the building.
I'll be coming from Edinburgh.
Many thanks
Lee

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
03-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Never done it personally but everything I hear about it = NIGHTMARE and of the few enquiries I've had for it, I always try to price myself out (which I'm clearly doing a top job of :D )

I'd phone them up and see what their thoughts are I mean it's a busy city centre pub - it must handle big food and bevvy deliveries as well as all the wedding stuff some way or other.

I don't know if this will be any help with your trailer but I recently done Sloane's which is very comparable in location and pain in the arseness to load into to 29. In fact they're essentially in the same block.

I wasn't really feeling the venues suggestion to "just park up on Argyle Street and load in from there quickly" - all double yellows and bus stops, busiest vehicular street in Glasgow around about the time you'd need to load in and so on.

I got round it by parking at the Mitchell Street NCP and hauling my stuff from there to Sloan's with the help of a roadie.

At the end of the night I pulled the car up onto a secluded part of Buchannan Street, stuck the hazards on and moved everything from the venue back out.

Not ideal but not as bad as I'd expected.

The other alternative would be parking up on North Court which backs onto Royal Exchange Square - you go through a little underpass from the road and you're right on the square. But I don't know what the score is there for parking, loading or if you'd have space if the pubs around there leave bins and stuff out.

07-11-2013, 03:16 PM
I received another enquiry for 29 today and I totally forgot to ask if they'd asked you to play until 3 as every time I've been asked - that's been the case.

As for the 1 way streets and such. It's a bit hard to explain but looking at google maps you should get an idea:

coming from the M8 I'd suggest coming off at the exit for George's Square.

You'll go down past the bus station and come out at the North side of the square about in the middle.

As a point of reference, 29 / where you need to get is just off of the SW side of the square, queen St station is NW and the City Chambers is on the East side.

Follow the square round until you're on St Vincent Street / the south side of the square (with the city chambers in your rear view mirror) it's a 1 way street heading West. There's a Gregg's on the corner and you're not far from there but you can't turn left onto Queen Street.

The alley I mentioned is just a bit further up St Vincent St - there's a place, Cafe Andaluz on your left and the lane is right past that on your left. As I said, if you can park up in there and be sharp, it wouldn't cause too much of a headache hopefully.

leelive
07-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Hi Jim

Thanks for your post.

I was actually doing the gig that night.

Got there eventually. The venue advised joining the pedestrianised area at Gordon Street (near Glasgow Stations) and going down Buchanan Street.
On the night half of Gordon Street was dug-up for road works so had to drive the wrong way up Buchanan Street.

The entry was difficult. Had to get all my gear unloaded and dumped by the service lift at the back of "Bread and Butter".

Once I had parked the car..... I then asked the staff at "Bread and Butter" to unlock the lift so I could go up to the top floor. Had to keep the lift door open so it didn't lock again.

Once all the gear was in it was straight forward. There was an area at the top floor just in front of the lift for me to store my gear while I waited for the room to be cleared.

The getting out was harder. The service lift was locked and alarmed and I couldn't use it. Had to take my gear down a few stairs to the public lift. But it only went as far as 1st Floor.

I left all my gear at the reception on the 1st Floor while I went to get the car.

They said I would have to illegally park on Queens Street and carry everything 400ft from the venue!!

I sacked that idea and brought my car across the pedestrianised Buchanan Street and under the Merchant City arches and parked in front of the building on the Royal Arcade.

All the best

08-11-2013, 08:33 AM
No worries. I was in town last night and had a recce to see if there were any alternatives.

There's a private car park behind the row of buildings that houses 29 that you can get into going through an arch off QUeen Street.

From there you come through a pedestrian alley right onto Royal Exchange Square. I thought that would make life much easier but it's a private car park and the alley is gated - they were open when I was there but I wouldn't want to risk driving in and having them shut behind me. I'm thinking the best plan of attack is to take a roadie. Have them schlep the gear, you move the car out of the private alley as they do this and park elsewhere then come back later at night though I'm not sure that gate would be open at the weekend given the kind of scum the clubs around Queen Street tend to attract.

14-11-2013, 02:45 PM
So I secured that booking.

There's a guy on Facebook who will pick up your gear, load it in, load it out and drop it off for £40 or £50 notes so I think I'll be making full use of his services on this one and get a taxi to and from the place. :)

theMAXIMUMdisco
29-11-2013, 12:46 PM
I've got one in here just before Christmas. I had heard it was a bit of a nightmare but it is for a friend of a friend, and i'm a contractor in my Mon-Fri job so extra money around that time of year is always welcome. Really not looking forward to it at all though!