PDA

View Full Version : What's the closest / furthest gig you've ever done?

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
03-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Thought this would be interesting on account of a few bookings I've taken this week:

A woman I used to work with has just booked me to play her 40th at the bowling club at the bottom of the hill round the corner. It's a 1 minute walk. I could actually coast there in neutral if I really fancied it :D

Also just been booked to play in Elgin which is a good 400 mile round journey according to Mr Google maps so off the top of my head that's the furthest I'll have travelled for a gig.

If we're talking furthest without commuting that would probably be my dingy old compound in lovely Saudi Arabia aka the land where listening to western music is a crime :rolleyes:

Daryll
03-02-2014, 11:15 PM
My nearest was south Harting village hall , 400 ft max.
I do regular gigs at Harting mens club , 5 minute walk.
40 miles is my max ( give of take a few) , that's a personal choice.
I also do a few gigs in Basingstoke, 30 miles ( cheers Gary.. ;) )
And Portsmouth , 12-14 miles.
I seem to have given out a lot of quotes around Burgess hill, Redhill etc , that will be my limit.

cheers

daryll

funkymook
03-02-2014, 11:50 PM
South of France was the furthest for me, stayed over for a few days and made it into a mini-break.
Nearest is one of my local pubs, about a mile away, it's a very easy walk-in (I helped them choose their PA and lighting as well).

Excalibur
04-02-2014, 07:03 AM
My closest one was in my yard!! A Young Farmers one in a shed on the farm where I worked. Plenty on the farm next door, about eight hundred yards away.

Furthest was up in the Scottish Borders, for a mate who had a hotel up there. At the end of this month, I'm going on tour!! :eek::D:D Down to Chesterfield, booked into the hotel where I'm playing, so no long drive after packing up. Then across and down a bit into deepest darkest Lincolnshire for a Legslappers night. Hotel again, and a leisurely ride home. All in all, a two hundred and fifty to three hundred mile round trip.

Shakermaker Promotions
04-02-2014, 07:46 AM
Closet gig for me (if it counts?) was in my garden when I set up a full rig and lights in the summer for a BBQ / Birthday party for my missus.
Furthest gig was a few years back when a friend of mine asked me to DJ at his wedding in Newcastle. He paid for the flight and hotel. All I had to do was take my box of CD's (I wasn't digital back then) and use the venues system which was a bit prehistoric but it was a great night.

SC Events
04-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Closest gig: The pub at the bottom of the hill. 2 minutes in the car, from leaving the house to pulling in to the car park.

Furthest gig: A restaurant in Surrey, which was about 140 miles each way - Well, slightly longer on the way there, as I visited Darren in Reading.

Jonny Boy
04-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Not sure if "my own housewarming" counts.... so the nearest was my local at the end of the street - a minute's walk.

Furthest I've been is nothing near as impressive from me: from here in Newport (S. Wales) all the way a little converted barn venue somewhere around Throcking/Buntingford area in Herts... 175 ish miles each way. And then I went back to do a Birthday bash in Welwyn Garden City the weekend after!

I've been asked to quote for Scotland, Knock (Eire) & the USofA (New Orleans)...but needless to say the fee made it "untenable" LOL!

Shaun
04-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Closest: Local School, 2 minutes walk from my house.
Farthest: Inverness, around a 300 mile (6 hour) round trip.

mark@pegasus
04-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Closest - Hotel opposite where I live
Furthest Bewdley for a cousins Wedding

mattydj50
04-02-2014, 02:47 PM
The closest would have been my sisters 20th birthday party which I did in our garden. If that doesn't count, it wil be a 70's night that I did at the local Pavillion a minute's walk away. That was a turn up with CDs job as all the kit was put uin my the DJ I was working for at the time.

The furthest was a gig I got involved with when I was staying with my cousin in Perth, Western Australia. But the furthest I have travelled with my own gear from Doncaster is Somerset when I did a 70's night there.

Mind you, the owner of our hotel in Greece wants me to take my music and run a night for him while we are on holiday this year.

soundmaster mobile disco
04-02-2014, 05:40 PM
pretty much the same a shaun.

closest was the primary school 2 mins away

furthest gig was inverness

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-02-2014, 09:12 PM
Closest outside my Mum and Dad's house, was their next door neighbours and furthest was in Peterborough.

ian8limelight
05-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Closest for me was a Village Hall about a mile away.

Furthest away (not counting the cruise ship in Barbados :p) was in Southern Ireland for a close friend's Wedding.

djdj
06-02-2014, 08:46 AM
I Have a few places very close, my main gigs are the Driffield Cricket club which is 1 mile away and my Karaoke pub which is.7 of a mile.
When I started out I dj'd in Majorca (although I was on holiday there) I have also travelled up to Edinburgh (220 miles) to DJ at couple of functions.