PDA

View Full Version : My Favourite Light Ever.....

East Anglian Discos
30-03-2014, 09:17 AM
I've been a mobile DJ since 1982. Since then I've used and seen a lot of fantastic effects. For brightness. Value, reliability I love my Constella Pro Twin. I bought this in 2001 from BaZ in Lowestoft for £150 and it's been a regular effect since then. In 13 years of service I've changed the cheap 250w buld twice.

If they still made them I'd buy another. Abstract did a similar Twin Fx light

Excalibur
30-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Nostalgia wise, Martin Magic Moon. First serious effect I ever bought. Exceedingly heavy though.
Second in this category, Pulsar Zero 3000/4000/3001/4001 controller. Pretty much did everything that a Powerbar does nowadays, but with light/spotboxes. Bonus was that if you wanted more, you built more, and simply daisy chained them. Also, they kept you warm in cold venues. :D

Value for money, Soundlab Vasto. I got two of these for the price of an Abstract Twister, on the advice of the disco shop. The Twister is now scrap, and the Vastos are still in use every week at a local club.

Modern(ish) day. Well that's easy. Powerbar. No contest. Honourable mentions go to the two Jazz Source moonflowers I bought for £30 on Ebay, which are the default items used with the Powerbar on the overhead, and the two Chauvet Scorpion RBM lasers which are the default items lashed onto the powerbar when it's freestanding. On their own, they're not particularly breathtaking, but doubled up, I love them.

East Anglian Discos
31-03-2014, 05:37 AM
Ah yes the Martin Magic Moon. Always wanted one of those. Looks heavy!

2nd place for me after the Constella Pro Twin goes to my Mad Powerflowers. I think made until about 2005. Very bright and a large spread using the HTI discharge lamp. Still quite sought after by DJs.

BeerFunk
31-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Not going back as far as you guys, but my favourites were the Twister 4 HP when linked master/slave. They put on a very impressive show!

Hopefully an LED equivalent is round the corner, they all seem to be a bit on the dim side. And by dim, I don't mean they're not intelligent lighting :rolleyes:

East Anglian Discos
31-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Twister 4 HP is a fine light. Very good examples around still.

Pe7e
31-03-2014, 10:32 PM
I've always thought the Martin Acrobat was a fantastic light, and still do. It's a shame a LED version was never brought out, I still have some but they rarely go out these days. Current favourite is the Thomann version of the power bar, IMO unbeatable for value for your money

atlanticdisco
18-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Oh my favourite subject, lighting.

I can se past my Twister 4 HP's. even went to the expense of full refurb for two of them which included the cases getting powder coated.

current best buy has got to be chauvet core bar 4's par56 when using them with the scrims -

funktions
19-04-2014, 04:40 PM
I loved my abstract scatter spots, had 8 on 2 bars with some par 36's really liked them nothing special but just had something different about them.
martin 812's were next on the love list .. along with the tas synchro types ..

East Anglian Discos
19-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Another firm favourite of mine were the NJD Chaos. Fantastic 100w auto moons were considered very cutting edge in the 1990's

Daryll
19-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Abstract Extreme XP5 pro , room filling light , I retired mine , but I wont part with them yet

East Anglian Discos
19-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Abstract Extreme XP5 pro , room filling light , I retired mine , but I wont part with them yet

I bought an ex display pair about 4 years ago. They were the same as the classic Mad Powerflower but I think the XP 5 had an extra colour. Super lights.

stormproductions
21-04-2014, 05:44 PM
I know this may sound like I'm showing off, but my personal favourite light of all time (mainly because it reminds me of many a fantastic night out in my younger years) is the Clay Paky Golden Scan HPE. I treated myself to a set of 4 a few years ago as spares/repair, knowing that they needed a fair amount of work, but it turned out they needed far too many replacement parts to be economical to repair them so they had to be passed on. I've got no real justification to have them but I'm still tempted every time I see them on ebay.

With regards to lights more usable for mobile DJing work, the ones that I think are my favourites that I've previously owned were the Martin Sweepers (very similar to an Abstract Rave). One of the funkiest sound activated lights I've seen, but they do chew through the lamps! And they're big and heavy for what they do.