PDA

View Full Version : Spam, mistake, or what?

Excalibur
12-05-2014, 06:45 PM
I've just had a couple of emails, which baffle me. The first one wasn't addressed to me, but a Mark Tibble at event link website. It came from a Colin Jaques, who seems to be from a1disco. Copies went to loads of people, all disco related, including Gary at Soundmaster. They don't carry my name, they refer to Mark, so not individual.

I then got one from Mikey at webahead in Darlington asking if I wanted a new website? If I did, then Colin would get a referral discount on his. This was obviously a " scattergun " email, as it just started " Hi. "

Obviously, all of us who got carbon copies are in Colin Jaques contacts, but why? And why did he send copies of what is technically a private email ( presumably in reply to an enquiry ) to loads of other DJs? :confused::confused:

If anyone can help, I'd be grateful.

soundmaster mobile disco
12-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Hi Peter yes indeed as you say its strange but also concerning as to why we are included on this.

DazzyD
12-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Sounds like a compromised email account or a virus that relays emails to everyone in someone's contact list/address book.

Have you tried contacting the "source"/culprit directly?

Excalibur
12-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Sounds like a compromised email account or a virus that relays emails to everyone in someone's contact list/address book.
My first thought. Only thing is, why would it forward a private email, rather than one of its own making? Added to which, all the recipients are disco related, no private ones.

Have you tried contacting the "source"/culprit directly?

Short answer, no. Wouldn't know what to ask/say. :confused: