PDA

View Full Version : Ipad Use

ppentertainments
15-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Ok, I realise this has been done before, but I'm 'restarting' lol

I have took the plunge and bought a new Ipad - my last one has been taken over by the family and is filled with candy crush and other tedious games etc.

I am intending using the Ipad for photos/videos, email whilst out, calendar etc. I'm also looking to start using it for ceremony and even afternoon music.

So the question is - what do you use an Ipad for and any software you recommend to purchase for it ?

Thank you in advance

DeckstarDeluxe
15-05-2014, 10:42 AM
If you use DJEP then sync all the events to it and in the internal notes put all the song requests etc...

As for apps not that many but I have a few games which are ideal for those weddings when you turn up and it's running two hours late.

MikeW
15-05-2014, 11:59 AM
I have used this http://www.algoriddim.com/djay-ipad for my ipad for a few years. Really only for background music, but could (at a push) be used for an emergency to do a whole night. It is very stable and just......works!

Shaun
15-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Keynote - for presentations for client meetings.

djay - mixing software for backup.

DMX DIP - never used it yet, but handy if I ever need help with dipswitch settings.

And of course iTunes, for downloading any vital requests at the gig.

yourdj
15-05-2014, 12:10 PM
I have used this http://www.algoriddim.com/djay-ipad for my ipad for a few years. Really only for background music, but could (at a push) be used for an emergency to do a whole night. It is very stable and just......works!

:agree:

Definitely get DJAY. I only use mine for back up and it has come in VERY handy a couple of times! Sits nicely in the booth too. The phone has a DB meter, which is very handy to keep consistent sound levels especially when the ear gets used to it.

Don't ever use it for anything else, as its a bit too fiddly as opposed to my Macbook. Way too paranoid to use it for ceremony music. I also feel it looks a bit amateurish, especially if someone is paying me good money to do it. They could get uncle-bob or usher-alan to do that as everyone has an iPad and a sup rising level of my clients has said they own a copy of DJAY as its a good programme and costs next to nothing to purchase.

Great for tight spaces and background sets though.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-05-2014, 12:30 PM
D-Jay (2), Dropbox, Atomic Click (NYE), Wifi Transfer (good for moving from iPad to iMac etc), Spotify, Timewheel, Virtual DJ remote, Traktor DJ

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-05-2014, 12:32 PM
I also feel it looks a bit amateurish, especially if someone is paying me good money to do it.

I suspect more people have got laptops than iPads, so how would that make an iPad more amateur? Laptops are cheaper £ for £ too...

yourdj
15-05-2014, 01:22 PM
I suspect more people have got laptops than iPads, so how would that make an iPad more amateur? Laptops are cheaper £ for £ too...

With a set of decks and Serato as well? Plus the knowledge to use it ;)

I suppose no one would know any difference behind this, but i am much happier using professional play out kit for ceremonies especially in my main venue where clients are literally right next to you and watching what your doing. Personal preference i suppose as lots of people i know use iPads and i just think having that proped on a table with a couple of speakers is no different in the eyes of the client and guests to a one of the guests or staff doing it.

Or this:

ppentertainments
15-05-2014, 01:28 PM
I also feel it looks a bit amateurish, especially if someone is paying me good money to do it.

I used to think like that, however I had a very small ceremony room the other week and the bride was very wary about the speakers being on show. I agreed with them beforehand but actually done the ceremony music using an Ipad linked via Bluetooth to a Bose Soundlink mini.

Nothing was in sight and the sound quality was fantastic and loud enough - which were all the bride was requiring.

yourdj
15-05-2014, 01:33 PM
I used to think like that, however I had a very small ceremony room the other week and the bride was very wary about the speakers being on show. I agreed with them beforehand but actually done the ceremony music using an Ipad linked via Bluetooth to a Bose Soundlink mini.

Nothing was in sight and the sound quality was fantastic and loud enough - which were all the bride was requiring.

I might give it a go in my next tight spot, but not sure I would be confident with an iPad, as easy as it is its still nerve racking. :)

deltic
16-05-2014, 05:22 AM
The small play out kit in the planning,now contains a sure mic and all now hard wired with powercon and Xlr
And has proved to be a great system for all the small awkward stuff

DeckstarDeluxe
16-05-2014, 11:54 AM
The small play out kit in the planning,now contains a sure mic and all now hard wired with powercon and Xlr
And has proved to be a great system for all the small awkward stuff

Now that I like, and may pinch that idea :D

velocityroadshow
16-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Recently got an Ipad. Haven't got DJay yet, put Traktor on it which mixes great - a lot better than I thought.

Don't think i'll use it as my main playout. I like a controller - something with actual buttons, but like the idea as a backup and for background music maybe.