PDA

View Full Version : Water, H2o adj effect any good?

ukpartydj
22-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Looking for new toys aiming for effects which don't require smoke mainly for weddings and balls etc.

I've seen the American DJ H2o lights in videos on YouTube and think they might be the answer to go along with a couple of moving heads and floor wash.

Has anybody got experience using these? Are they very bright / do you need a couple to get a decent effect? Also can you decide what colour or does it just rotate constantly?

Imagine
22-06-2014, 09:20 PM
In short - they're brilliant :)

I got mine last week. I've only used it the once and the room was in full sunlight so couldn't really tell how bright it is in the real world.
I get the chance to try it out again next weekend in a darkened room, so will report back then. I'm getting the feeling I might need two of them though to get a decent coverage over the floor.

Shakermaker Promotions
23-06-2014, 07:03 AM
I bought a couple of them a while back and have used them twice. They are very good actually, not sure why I haven't used them more.

funkymook
23-06-2014, 07:29 AM
I've found them best when used to highlight a feature as they add a bit of movement to it. If you're outside they're fantastic on trees.

ukpartydj
23-06-2014, 09:27 AM
I bought a couple of them a while back and have used them twice. They are very good actually, not sure why I haven't used them more.

I remember a year ago somebody local to me said the same, does make me wonder if I'll actually use them myself but I'll give them a go.

Just looking through previous threads and last year you said you might be interested in selling? If you still wanted to sell I'm passing by Basingstoke Saturday sometime between 12 and 1pm

mattydj50
23-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Yep, I've got an H2O and love it.

You can set the colours to change of stay the same. I used it in green to highlight a scary face on a wall for a Hallowe'en party. Very effective with the ripple effect.

You can wind kids up too by teasing them to "stay out of the water". Great for warm up time on an empty dancefloor.

ukpartydj
23-06-2014, 11:43 AM
You can wind kids up too by teasing them to "stay out of the water".

Never thought of kids parties, bet the small kids find it fascinating!

yourdj
23-06-2014, 10:00 PM
I have one, only use it for hire outs in dinner ceiling lighting. Good for chill rooms etc. but I don't tend to use it for main gigs. :)
Its OK but not brilliant IMO.

Shakermaker Promotions
24-06-2014, 07:43 AM
I remember a year ago somebody local to me said the same, does make me wonder if I'll actually use them myself but I'll give them a go.

Just looking through previous threads and last year you said you might be interested in selling? If you still wanted to sell I'm passing by Basingstoke Saturday sometime between 12 and 1pm

I think I'm going to keep them mate. They're still pretty cheap though if you look around.

ukpartydj
24-06-2014, 10:23 AM
I think I'm going to keep them mate. They're still pretty cheap though if you look around.

Not to worry, may even look at getting a Chauvet Abyss 3.0 due to the slightly brighter (maybe) LED and DMX for a few quid extra.

Corabar Steve
24-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Looking at the H20 DMX Pro here. 50W LED!

http://www.americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=2057

funkymook
24-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Looking at the H20 DMX Pro here. 50W LED!

http://www.americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=2057

Definitely worth going for the 50w version if you want to cover a larger area - the others are OK for short throw but get lost over any distance.

ukpartydj
24-06-2014, 02:42 PM
I think I'll probably be sticking to the regular cheaper versions as I don't really do huge events and the 10w in my moving head is OK... ADJ = 10w the Abyss is 15w

Although I wonder if it's as simple as removing the 15w and buying a 50w LED and maybe a resistor change or something like that (not an electronics expert) probably only cost £20 for a 50w LED and would save £130!!

DJ Jules
24-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Although I wonder if it's as simple as removing the 15w and buying a 50w LED and maybe a resistor change or something like that (not an electronics expert) probably only cost £20 for a 50w LED and would save £130!!

I suspect you might already know the answer to that... :D

Otherwise people would be upgrading Acme Cougar's (and Chauvet Obsessions) to be as bright as the Cheetah's...

Julian

DazzyD
25-06-2014, 12:13 PM
If you think about it, a 15w light source needs electronics that can produce enough energy to power it. A 50w light source will need more than 3 times that power source. So, you'd need to upgrade the electronics as well!

ukpartydj
25-06-2014, 01:01 PM
If you think about it, a 15w light source needs electronics that can produce enough energy to power it. A 50w light source will need more than 3 times that power source. So, you'd need to upgrade the electronics as well!

Just been fiddling around with figures and Ohm's law ... all I should need to do is change the resistor from a 6k ohms resistor to a 1.2k ohms resistor and possibly a couple of new, higher current wires
No doubt it'll be hotter so maybe install a fan into the fixture ... hmmm might be a little project for me!

May give this one a go with my white 3w spotlight then at least if it breaks it's £30 and not £130's worth of light I've blown up.
50w white LED is only £4 as well!!

Benny Smyth
25-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Just been fiddling around with figures and Ohm's law ... all I should need to do is change the resistor from a 6k ohms resistor to a 1.2k ohms resistor and possibly a couple of new, higher current wires
No doubt it'll be hotter so maybe install a fan into the fixture ... hmmm might be a little project for me!

May give this one a go with my white 3w spotlight then at least if it breaks it's £30 and not £130's worth of light I've blown up.
50w white LED is only £4 as well!!

Or just buy the light.

The light that will work.

And will come with a warranty should it stop working.

:p

DJ Jules
25-06-2014, 07:34 PM
May give this one a go with my white 3w spotlight then at least if it breaks it's £30 and not £130's worth of light I've blown up. 50w white LED is only £4 as well!!

I tried doing this a few years back (except converting halogen fixtures to LED) and the biggest challenge was getting the optics right.

LED's have come a long way in the last 4yrs though so I'd imagine this would be considerably easier now.

Julian

DazzyD
26-06-2014, 06:03 AM
Or just buy the light.

The light that will work.

And will come with a warranty should it stop working.

:p

Well, there's always that option!