PDA

View Full Version : No thread title could do this justice

Benny Smyth
13-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Over the last two weeks, I have experienced something that I never expected. It's been disturbing, hilarious, scary and headache-inducing. I will now tell a tale of woe. Some details will be omitted because I'm not sure of the legalities and whilst I have gone to every effort to remove all swearing from the emails that I am quoting, I may have missed one or two so I would like to apologise in advanced.

I hope the following entertains you. :)

About a month ago, I accepted a booking for a wedding next year. Lovely couple that I met at a wedding fayre and they booked me on the spot. Two weeks ago, I receive this email:

Hello,

It has come to my attenshun that you have been booked to perform at a wedding for [names not important]. I am emailing you to inform you that I have already been booked for this event and as such, you will not be required to be in attendence. I will discuss with my clients about this.

Kind regards,

Needless to say, I was confuzzled! So I dropped the couple an email asking them for clarification. They told me that they did book with this gent, but after speaking to him on the phone, they felt very uncomfortable with him so they didn't sign a contract and decided to go with me. They informed him of this, and gave him my name when asked who will be replacing him. So I sent him an email back.

Hi [name],

I've spoken to [names not important], and after speaking to both you and I, they have decided to use my services. From what I have been told, they haven't signed a contract with you so unfortunately, they are under no obligation. I'm sorry that you have lost out on the work, and I do hope that you find a booking to fill it's place.

All the best,

Benny

Then came the reply.

Hello,

Regardles as to weather they have signed a contract or not, that is my booking. Since you have stolen my work, I expect to be compensated.

I'm trying to be nice about this and do this the nice way, so it would be in your interest for a quick resolution to this.

Regards,

Hi [name],

I appreciate the frustration, but this is something that you will have to take up with [names not important]. I would appreciate that you refrain from contacting me about this matter, as it is none of my business.

Benny

Ready for the kicker?

Hello,

That's fine. I will be in touch with my solicitor, as you have clearly stolen my intelectual property. I will be compensated for this. Please send me your adress.

Regards,

Theft of intellectual property? Dude, you do realise that has absolutely Jack to what you're on about (ignoring the fact that you don't have a leg to stand on).

But that's fine. I look forward to hearing from your solicitor. Since you have taken this route, I will not be responding until I hear from them.

What is your adress? My legal coucel will require this within 7 days.

I won't be divulging that information to you. Any solicitor worth their salt would be able to find out my address. If they cannot, then they can email me directly.

But seriously, you're a grown man, and throwing a temper tantrum over losing a booking is several kinds of pathetic. The only thing topping it in terms of sadness is that you're using threats of legal action. There isn't a solicitor in the world that would entertain such a silly, frivolous, and downright embarrassing action, so just :Censored: off already.

All this effort could be used to getting yourself a new booking. Just saying...

Give me the information, now you :Censored: me off

And I ignored him and left it as that. I decided to ignore the threats until I heard from a 'solicitor'. Two days later...

My name is [solicitor's name] and I am representing [DJ's name] in a civil action against you on the basis of theft of intellectual property, harrasment and defamation.

Any attempts to ignore this written request will be seen as a failure to start negotiations on my clients compensation and I will have no choice then to act in the best interests of my client and seek Compensation for lost ernings and to obtain a order forcing your hand into direct communication with me on behalf of my client and possible further court action

If you have any enquires into this matter or wish to speak to me direct have no hesitation in contacting our offices during business hours to see an end to this drama

Yours Sincerely

I had to read this several times. I noted the bad grammar, and the spelling mistake but I wanted to make certain whether it was fake or not. Then I looked at the top of my Outlook and noticed that this came from a Hotmail account. So here comes the reply from me!

How about we start these "negotiations" as soon as you're able to find legal counsel that can properly spell things like 'earnings'. Being able to capitalise his last name might not be a bad idea, either, as it smells of professionalism (ahem). And what harassment, exactly? You do realise the irony of that, right?

I can't tell you how many kinds of awesome it is, that this is what you spent your day doing. Your life must be several kinds of terrific.

As Legal Counsel for [DJ's name] I do not think it is in your best interests to make a mockery of my representation of my abilities as a solicitor.

Furthermore in your latest communication you have shown that you are clearly unable to communicate without the need to ridicule and Harass. You may wsh to take this matter seriously.

If negotiations have not started in the next 72 hours then I will have no other alternative then to take this matter through the courts and any such action will result in your organisation risking being liable for any costs associated with bringing this matter before the courts.

And as I do like to poke the bear... ;)

Did you not think to use spell check before sending that one?

Give it up. No legal professional is involved in any of this pitiful attempt to scare me into paying you. Your hand has been shown.

You don't seem to have any idea how the law actually works, do you? Solicitors don't contact people from Hotmail accounts. No solicitor worth their salt would fire off poorly-written empty threat after poorly-written empty threat.

And that you think I'd actually be stupid enough to fall for this is just hilarious.

But in the interest of comedy, let's go ahead and forget about the next 72 hours and just skip right on to you taking this to the courts (the sooner, the better).

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go find some new boots to quake in.

You think this is not a real case? see you in court.

Looking forward to it. My fake lawyer said that he's going to punch your fake lawyer right in the :Censored:.

While all this was going on, I decided to shoot an email over to the solicitor firm that was supposedly emailing me. I had to make sure, just to cover my own back and they actually got back to me. There was no way that I wasn't going to share that! ;)

Well, there's been a rather interesting new development in your legal crusade that I thought you'd like me to share with you. Sitting down? (Of course you are. I've seen your picture on your site, and you look the kind of guy who gets winded just hitting his space bar extra hard.) Anyway, as per our correspondence, I took it upon myself to contact the good folks at [solicitor firm] on Friday, and guess what? Early this morning, they took the time to get back to me regarding your putting me on trial:

Hello Mr. Smyth,

Unfortunately you are correct, we have not had any contact from [DJ's name].

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please contact me on the number below, as any further information that you can provide in the matter would help us greatly.

Kind regards,

And just so you know, I've already forwarded our email chain to them, and I'm going to make myself available to assist them in whatever ways possible to see to it that you're brought to justice for the fraud that you've committed.

Anyway, thanks for mistakenly trying to :Censored: with me. It's been a pleasure watching the whole thing blow back up in your face in spectacular fashion.

Excalibur
13-07-2014, 06:17 PM
So how much compensation are you going to give him for you having the audacity to snatch the food from his mouth? :whistle:

funkymook
13-07-2014, 07:19 PM
Must admit as tempting it is to reply to emails like that I think the best action is ignoring them. They want a reaction, any reaction - no reply is far more frustrating to these types of people than anything you could write.

Then do you really want a complete nutter with time on his hands having a grudge against you, of course legally and morally you are totally in the right....but who needs the hassle of wondering what he might do to try and mess your business (or life) up.

Hopefully that'll be the last you hear of him though.

DeckstarDeluxe
13-07-2014, 07:51 PM
How much of your own time did you waste on this? I'd of just ignored it and spent my energies elsewhere.

Excalibur
13-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Sorry Martin and Neil, but I disagree. I applaud Benny's actions, and would like to think I'd have done something similar.

yourdj
13-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Must admit as tempting it is to reply to emails like that I think the best action is ignoring them.

:agree:

I try and avoid people like that when ever possible.
Not worth bothering with.

Funny though other people outlook on things. Its good we are all different I suppose.

ukpartydj
13-07-2014, 10:16 PM
People with spare time really are a pain in the backside.
Not worth the time but it's difficult to ignore, I find it amazing how some DJ's and bands etc treat each other like the enemy rather than networking.

Sapphire Disco
13-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Impersonating a solicitor is a serious offence as Mr Wonga has recently found out.

yourdj
13-07-2014, 11:29 PM
People with spare time really are a pain in the backside.
Not worth the time but it's difficult to ignore, I find it amazing how some DJ's and bands etc treat each other like the enemy rather than networking.

See you at the next HDA meeting then :p
Its Wednesday if your interested in Soton.

ckpr2
13-07-2014, 11:37 PM
This is typical of a "flaming" war.
I got caught out with this early on in Internet days on chat groups with people deliberately trying to start trouble.

As others have said the best reply is no reply.

If you turn up at the gig and he is already there then I would contact the police to have him removed.

funktions
14-07-2014, 06:55 AM
I found it funny, if someone is threatening you with legal action then you have to take some notice even if you know there is no way it would go anywhere.
just goes to show the client deffo had the correct "feeling" about him.
i personally would not have sent the last reply back but just asked for his address and passed It onto the solicitors.

DJ Jules
14-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Fascinating, some people really don't have a very strong grip on reality do they?

I've got to be honest, I'd have left this guy to it, I'd be concerned about what the next step would be for a character who is this unstable.

Julian

hadyn
14-07-2014, 08:51 AM
I would of done exactly the same!
Blokes like this walk around threatening and hassling people all the time regardless of whether its dj related or not and every now and then they need someone to step up to the mark and not be trodden over or allow to be bullied into something.
good on you!!

ukpartydj
14-07-2014, 09:52 AM

I may be interested in the future - I'm normally busy on wednesdays though!

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
14-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Ha this is going to end badly for that guy.

The one type of person who can really :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored: you up in all sorts of legal ways is a brief so impersonating a real one and being caught probably isn't the best business or life choice this gent has made.

Pretty sure the only reason he was asking for your address was so he could turn up at your door.

I'm amazed someone is so desperate for work they'd go this mental from "losing" a gig.

Keep us updated.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-07-2014, 10:24 AM
How much of your own time did you waste on this? I'd of just ignored it and spent my energies elsewhere.

Me too...

An amusing read though.

fullcontact68
14-07-2014, 10:43 AM
I would have asked him for his bank details so I could transfer the funds...

i.e,.

Username/password
sortcode/account number,
address,
date of birth,
place of birth,
mothers maiden name.
etc

:)

DazzyD
14-07-2014, 12:45 PM
I'm going to side with Peter on this one. The guy is obviously a bully and is trying to bully his way through life. Which he'll continue to do until someone stands up to him. My personal take is that me and bullies don't get on and they don't get to walk all over me, either. So I'd have definitely responded to his threats of legal action. I don't understand how anyone could not respond to a threat of legal action. And, as has been said, impersonating a legal professional is a serious criminal offence and I hope the police are brought in.

Sapphire Disco
14-07-2014, 05:00 PM
I'm going to side with Peter on this one. The guy is obviously a bully and is trying to bully his way through life. Which he'll continue to do until someone stands up to him. My personal take is that me and bullies don't get on and they don't get to walk all over me, either. So I'd have definitely responded to his threats of legal action. I don't understand how anyone could not respond to a threat of legal action. And, as has been said, impersonating a legal professional is a serious criminal offence and I hope the police are brought in.

:agree::

Shakermaker Promotions
14-07-2014, 07:00 PM
It was interesting to read and thanks for posting it but personally I would have just binned the email and not even bothered replying.
I would have let the customer book me, told the hotel that the customer had booked me and then left it at that.
Would have been interesting to see if the bloke still turned up but I think we all know that he probably wouldn't have.

DJColsie
14-07-2014, 08:23 PM

I'd be interested on the one after that, as in Mallorca this week.

DeckstarDeluxe
14-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Why on earth would you wind up a keyboard warrior and then flame the situation further?

Nobody looks good in this and lets not forget what he could be saying to the client.

Benny Smyth
14-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Why on earth would you wind up a keyboard warrior and then flame the situation further?

Nobody looks good in this and lets not forget what he could be saying to the client.

You seem very passionate about this.

yourdj
14-07-2014, 10:05 PM

I agree, the comments were very antagonistic (and in some instances a bit petty) and in many ways fuelling the situation. I can understand you may be annoyed, or just amused, but its much better to keep it black and white and be professional relying on the law and facts. :)

There area couple of guys on Facebook like that and on looking at their profiles they look like the weedy geek at school, or typical dim bully with no self confidence or any life goals other than to mirror their own issues.

Shaun
14-07-2014, 10:35 PM
My 2 cents, for what it's worth...

Whilst I would have loved to have a little fun with the idiot, after my initial email to the customer to let them know of the email, I would have left it at that, and not had any further contact with the other DJ. As long as I'd made the client aware that he had contacted me, and there may be a possibility of him turning up, then that would be the extent of my involvement.

Whilst I wouldn't have a problem facing him if he were to turn up (I'm big and ugly enough to handle myself), I fear all you may have done is antagonise him to the point that he may want to retaliate, and your actions may the the over-riding reason for him to make a point of showing up on the day of the wedding and making a scene. I'd never want something of my doing (in part) playing a role in my customer having a bad experience. So for that reason alone I wouldn't have replied.

Fingers crossed that's the last you (or your customer) hear from him though. :beer1:

musicology
15-07-2014, 07:32 AM
A very amusing exchange of emails. Thanks for sharing!

yourdj
15-07-2014, 10:52 PM
My 2 cents, for what it's worth...

Whilst I would have loved to have a little fun with the idiot, after my initial email to the customer to let them know of the email, I would have left it at that, and not had any further contact with the other DJ. As long as I'd made the client aware that he had contacted me, and there may be a possibility of him turning up, then that would be the extent of my involvement.

Whilst I wouldn't have a problem facing him if he were to turn up (I'm big and ugly enough to handle myself), I fear all you may have done is antagonise him to the point that he may want to retaliate, and your actions may the the over-riding reason for him to make a point of showing up on the day of the wedding and making a scene. I'd never want something of my doing (in part) playing a role in my customer having a bad experience. So for that reason alone I wouldn't have replied.

Fingers crossed that's the last you (or your customer) hear from him though. :beer1:

Nice. I think a polite email from the client or venue would have dissuaded him to contact him again. :)
I only 33 but am too old even now for any hassle - so avoid it like the plague. ;)

JTRS
20-07-2014, 12:10 PM
I'm fairly sure that it is a criminal offence to pretend to be solicitor, and from reading your original post not only has the other DJ done that he has also imtimated or implied that he is a reputable firm.

I would think that the actual firm involved are about to have some 'fun' with him.

JTRS

PS You owe me a new keyboard, I was drinking coffee when I read the 'My fake lawyer is going to punch your fake lawyer' comment

BeerFunk
20-07-2014, 03:55 PM
I'm with the majority vote on this one, I wouldn't have replied after the first two emails were exchanged. The client has involved him, it's their problem, not yours.

goldensounds83
13-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Actually this is demanding money with menaces, I have a client like this once who despite a perfectly good gig that I had massive amounts of good feedback from tried to get compensation for a ruined night.

What she didn't realise what I knew quite a few people in the audience from an 18th birthday I did a few weeks before. one of who I knew personally who got me about 5 testimonials from her mates to say the disco was fine

the customer even tried the old my husband is very upset that the night was ruined and he not the sort of man you want to mess with, actually even that was a lie it was hubby who paid me at the end of the evening I might , add and he was more than happy with the service I provided.

In the end I put the matter in the hands of the police because I was sick of being threatened by this woman. to be honest if this carries on I would suggest you do the same.

Larry B Entertainment
03-09-2014, 11:34 AM
I am not the greatest speller in the world but........

attenshun.......weather.....intelectual.......adre s..........ernings..........Seriously ??????

I would say you have more of a case for Harrasment especially since he has impersonated a legal company.

Benny Smyth
20-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Well...the wedding in question was last night and oh my, what dramas. What happened was just beyond belief. The audacity of some people just makes me question whether we as a society are on a slippery downhill slope. I mean, for crying out loud, who the hell asks for Tracy Chapman's Fast Car at any kind of party, let alone somebody's wedding reception?

Other than that, it was a pretty good night. Needless to say that my new bestest fweind in the whole wide world didn't turn up. With regards to what happened to him legally, I have no idea. After passing on all the details, I had a "Thank you" phone call from the solicitors and that was the last I heard of it.

As for the Tracy Chapman song, I played it as the last song of the night (since it was the bride who asked for it). It bombed.

So that brings some closure to that. :beer1:

mark@pegasus
20-03-2015, 11:08 AM
I mean, for crying out loud, who the hell asks for Tracy Chapman's Fast Car at any kind of party, let alone somebody's wedding reception?

How bizarre, I have a Wedding next month and the B&G have requested this for their first dance

Benny Smyth
20-03-2015, 11:15 AM
How bizarre, I have a Wedding next month and the B&G have requested this for their first dance

We need a facepalm smiley.

Shaun
20-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Well...the wedding in question was last night .... Needless to say that my new bestest fweind in the whole wide world didn't turn up.

So that brings some closure to that. :beer1:

Pheeeeew! All's well that ends well. :)

We need a facepalm smiley.

Like this one in the smiley list? :doh:

:d

Benny Smyth
20-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Like this one in the smiley list? :doh:

:d

I saw that, but that's more of a "slap to the head, I made a mess up" facepalm. We need a...

http://i.stack.imgur.com/jiFfM.jpg

...kinda facepalm.

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
20-03-2015, 12:58 PM
I think we're maybe giving a bit too much creedence to song lyrics when most people are invested in the music and arrangement before any real meaning behind the song.

OK subjectively speaking Fast Car is about as inappropriate a wedding song as you can imagine but how many people love the song because of the lyrics (which are pretty hackey imo) as opposed to the fact it's a gorgeous sounding tune?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that gets asked to play Young At Heart at weddings and watch it ram the floor when it's about folk getting married to the wrong person...

DeckstarDeluxe
20-03-2015, 01:20 PM
I think we're maybe giving a bit too much creedence to song lyrics when most people are invested in the music and arrangement before any real meaning behind the song.

OK subjectively speaking Fast Car is about as inappropriate a wedding song as you can imagine but how many people love the song because of the lyrics (which are pretty hackey imo) as opposed to the fact it's a gorgeous sounding tune?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that gets asked to play Young At Heart at weddings and watch it ram the floor when it's about folk getting married to the wrong person...

It's a great song, but not one I'd choose to play at a wedding regardless of song lyrics which lets face it nobody takes any notice of even when singing along....

dicky
23-03-2015, 01:29 PM
I always wondered why 'Freda Payne - Band of Gold' is always played at weddings.

It's a song about separation!