PDA

View Full Version : Back Up Equipment

Shaun
01-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Following on from a recent topic about a DJ without Back Up equipment....

Do you carry backup, and did a situation arise that made you add back up equipment to your inventory?

What Back-Up do you carry (if any)?

It's be nice to hear from members that both do and don't carry extra gear with them.

I'll start...

Do you carry backup, and did a situation arise that made you add back up equipment to your inventory?
For the first couple of years the guy I was working for didn't have any backup whatsoever...not even a spare cable or spare extension lead. Luckily, nothing ever went wrong.

I realised the need for back-up very quickly a few gigs after I bought my own gear and started out for myself. Scenario: High School Christmas Party, hundreds of kids, and BOOM, I blew the amp at the beginning of the night. I had no backup, I honestly could have cried. Luckily I knew someone with an amp so called him and hoped he was in, luckily he was! The wait seemed like forever whilst he made the trip to me. It was a wake up call - I made sure I had back up from that point on.

I'm kind of OCD about backup now. I carry a complete second rig. Duplicate flightcase of my main playout, spare lights, spare tripods, spare set of active speakers (which came in handy when one of my main RCF Actives packed in a few weeks ago), spare deckstand, and spare cables of every sort. I also carry lots of spare lamps, fuses, soldering iron and little bits and bobs I'll most likely never find a use for if I live to be a hundred. I take an ipad too loaded with DJ software and enough tunes to do a night, and my phone is loaded with tunes too.

Also, after an unfortunate trouser ripping incident a few years ago I carry a spare set of clothes - trousers, shirt, tie, shoes belt, socks etc, lol.

Overkill? :confused::o:zip::daft:

DJ Jules
01-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Interesting thread...

I used to use a Cortex HDC3000 and the external power supply failed at the start of a gig - went to turn it on and had nothing. Luckily I'd already thought about backup to an extent and had a laptop with me, but no controller or sound card so I ran the night using the Headphone socket and a mouse until a friend turned up with a CDMIX1 and a stack of CD's. Touch wood, I've never had anything else fail.

The lesson I learned from that gig is that if you carry backup, it actually has to be ready to do the job (and not just something that allows you to say "look I've got backup!") I now carry at least two laptops to every gig, each loaded with Virtual DJ and freestyler with all the necessary music/scenes/etc to run the night. I also usually carry two controllers (DDJ SX and a Mixtrack Pro) and enough cables for about four rigs. Sound wise I always take a big enough PA that I could run the night off one side if a cab should fail - this also means that the PA is never really stressed to the limit. Lighting wise I always take more than I need to run the show and I usually take spare lighting bars too. All other items won't stop the night so I have back up plans, but not spare kit. If the booth fails then it's venue table and cloth time, if the speaker stands fail then it's speakers on the floor.

Julian

Excalibur
01-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Another good thread Shaun. From what you've said, I think you're taking some aspects of it a little far. I'm struggling to imagine how a deckstand fails :confused: ( although I did have a speaker stand fail, when I ran over it with a Transit rear wheel! :o:o)

I have to say that I wouldn't be surprised if this polarised between longer established operators with vans, and newer ones with family saloons and hatchbacks. The issue of space can prevent some folk from taking a backup PA for instance.

OK, what do I take? Well backup/extra PA every time. Spare pair of actives, and spare amp and speakers if it's a passive rig. Two laptops. I haven't a spare controller, but I do have a spare power supply for it. If it were to partially fail, that would allow me to use the second laptop into the mixer channels. If it failed altogether, I usually have the karaoke mixer in the van, or I could connect the laptop directly into the PA. Also, the Tablet is loaded with DJ software, so would be a safety net.

Lots of spare cables, usually extra lights ( although, should a couple of lights fail, replacing/repairing them straight away wouldn't be a matter of urgency.

Daryll
01-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Never (so far) have any cause to use back up...

Spare laptop with external drive with all songs.
Because I bi-amp the speakers , one amp can fail but the other will make do for the event, abit the subs would get full range , so to the tops.
couple of radio micv`s just in case the SM58 fails
Loads of spare leads etc.
I carry no backup for the most important item.......................me....:p

Daryll

Pe7e
01-09-2014, 08:41 PM
I can't see the point in taking more than 1 active speaker as back up, what's the chance of 2 failing on the same gig?

Shaun
01-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Another good thread Shaun. From what you've said, I think you're taking some aspects of it a little far. I'm struggling to imagine how a deckstand fails :confused:

Well funny you should ask...lol. Carrying two stands saved the day once. I stupidly forgot the serge wool covering for the deckstand not long after purchasing it. The micromax in the van got me out a pickle that night, so to this day I still carry both. Overkill? yes, without a doubt. Lol.

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
01-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Spare laptop which is set up and ready to go at the drop of a hat - for first dances and the like it's playing simultaneously to the main one.

Leads, cables, IECs,

Mixer

Always carry 2 wireless and now 2 wires mics.

Don't carry spare speakers but they're active so unless I managed to blow everything at the one time, I'd be able to soldier on.

NOTHING unstresses me more for a gig than knowing I'm well covered.

Shaun
01-09-2014, 08:47 PM
I can't see the point in taking more than 1 active speaker as back up, what's the chance of 2 failing on the same gig?

Purely aesthetics for me. I carry two sets of actives, but different models. When the speaker failed it looked odd just replacing the one, so I swapped over the other one too. If the backup speaker is the same as the main, then yep, one would definitely do.

Shakermaker Promotions
01-09-2014, 08:59 PM

One of the first things I did when I set out to go self employed and full time was to buy quite a few extra bits and I am glad I did. I didn't actually think of back up at the time if I am honest. The idea was that with a couple of different set ups I could either (a) Get someone else out using my equipment and therefore extra income and (b) Change my set ups to suit different venues. The situation arose one night when I was doing a Wedding in a large marquee at a venue just up the road from me. For some reason one of my amplifiers decided to fry. It was running my bass bins at the time. One of the things I hadn't done was buy a second amplifier because I'd bought 2 lots of active speakers. I decided after that to purchase 2 amplifiers for back up as the one that fried couldn't be fixed.

Amplifier, passive speakers, mics, leads, laptop, power supply and controller, mixer, hard drive, lighting box. I always have some uplighters in the van too.

Back up is a MUST HAVE for me. I also think that if you are going to have back up you need to replicate. I don't think there's any point in having something that can't do the same job to the same standard as your main kit. It does become expensive but what's the point of having a main set up that could cater for 300+ and a back up system should you need it that could only do half that amount at a push?

Excalibur
01-09-2014, 09:15 PM

Purely aesthetics for me. I carry two sets of actives, but different models. When the speaker failed it looked odd just replacing the one, so I swapped over the other one too. If the backup speaker is the same as the main, then yep, one would definitely do.
Snap.

Well funny you should ask...lol. Carrying two stands saved the day once. I stupidly forgot the serge wool covering for the deckstand not long after purchasing it. The micromax in the van got me out a pickle that night, so to this day I still carry both. Overkill? yes, without a doubt. Lol.
Ah. So the failure wasn't actually mechanical, it was a lapse of memory, or as I increasingly call it nowadays " Senior Moment. " I have a bag containing the DSB cloth, which also has a plain black cloth in it which has got me out of trouble more than once. After carrying my DSB upstairs once too often, I bought an Ultimax secondhand, and the bars/cloth to make it a micromax as well. I think the Micromax may be going out each time in case I turn up at a new venue, and find a shortage of space.

DJ Jules
02-09-2014, 07:24 AM
Well funny you should ask...lol. Carrying two stands saved the day once. I stupidly forgot the serge wool covering for the deckstand not long after purchasing it.

Now you mention it - there have been two occasions in the last 6yrs or so where I've taken my deckstand and left the cloth at home. The first time I made a joke out of it and carried on. The second time I used a spare white tablecloth that the venue lent me and some gaffer tape and no-one was any the wiser.

Do I carry backup for this bit of kit now? Kind of... The DSB came with Black starcloth, White Serge cloth and white lycra cloth so in theory it's covered now. Unless I leave the bag with all three cloths at home :P

Julian

DJColsie
02-09-2014, 08:47 AM
I carry spare laptop, ipad with all music and DJ software, iphone with 700 songs on and mixer with two line inputs that run independant of laptop or software. Also copious XLR cables, power leads (IEC), fuses, screwdrivers, torch, gaffa tape and a little first aid box!

Shaun
02-09-2014, 08:58 AM
It does become expensive but what's the point of having a main set up that could cater for 300+ and a back up system should you need it that could only do half that amount at a push?

For many I'd imagine cost is a factor. It could be argued that it's much better to have any backup that could get you out a pickle rather than waiting till funds are available to replicate your main system. I remember back in the early days I used to buy the cheapest I could afford for my backup, and the backup was only improved at a time when I updated my main system (then the old system would become the new backup). I'd imagine that's the case for many DJs.

yourdj
02-09-2014, 09:49 AM
I would not risk having only 2 actives but I know lots of people do. if you loose power at a large gig then it will suffice but will not be loud enough. I do wonder how many actives fail at the same time due to electrical or heat issues? I have had 2 go at once, but they were cheaper Gemini ones years back.

Anyhow, I carry:

- second 12inch sub with amp (LD Dave).
- spare passive speaker (3 in total)
- 12 inch battery speaker for all days.
- iPad with Djay always cued with a direct line into second mixer (not play out thru).
- speakon cables, XLR's, box of connectors and power supplies, extension cable, gaffe tape.
- wirless microphone system (usually in car).
- Macbook charger in glove box at all times (V IMPORTANT).
- back up DMX controller for lighting (GWDMX).
- Spare bootable harddrive duplicate using Carbon clon Copier.

I have a 2nd macbook pro that my partner uses but am considering buying a second macbook and controller to keep on me at all times?
No worries doing a set off iPad but having the same set up is always better?

Shakermaker Promotions
02-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Shaun, I know it may have sounded as if I was made of money but believe me I'm not. I just thought it was important to be able to replicate my system should I have any problems. Yes, it did cost me at the time and took a while to pay off but definitely worth it in my opinion.

I've got an iPad and I've never thought of using it for back up. I have enough inputs on the Denon X500 so maybe I should start taking it along with me as back up for back up player wise.

Shaun
02-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Shaun, I know it may have sounded as if I was made of money but believe me I'm not. I just thought it was important to be able to replicate my system should I have any problems. Yes, it did cost me at the time and took a while to pay off but definitely worth it in my opinion.

I've got an iPad and I've never thought of using it for back up. I have enough inputs on the Denon X500 so maybe I should start taking it along with me as back up for back up player wise.

It didn't sound that way at all. I completely agree that a replicate system is the ideal solution. Practicalities such as space issues may be a factor (as many use cars to get to gigs, so a complete second system isn't an option), for others cost is a factor. So any backup which will allow you to complete the job is better than no options at all. That's all I was trying to say. :)

yourdj
02-09-2014, 02:01 PM

Its great having 2 sound systems isn't it, especially when you arrive and its bigger than you thought or need a sec don room for sound etc. I can't believe that people have 2 actives and thats it? Even an old system at home would suffice in an emergency.

iPad is great assuming you don't mind not properly mixing all night. I had a laptop melt down at a staff party the other day and went straight to that all night and no one noticed anything and I did not have a problem with not mixing although i do like to mix. Being solid state and really small it sits perfects next to my decks, but I really need to think about a second laptop and decks.

DJ Jules
02-09-2014, 02:36 PM
iPad is great assuming you don't mind not properly mixing all night.

I know a few DJ's who use iPad's (and even iPad mini's) to DJ the full night - and they mix too. Admittedly I have never used one so I have no idea how hard it is - but someone can do it :D

Julian

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-09-2014, 02:38 PM
I carry...spare

MC6000 in flightcase, cabled and ready to plug in.
SM58 leaded mic
Active speaker if I'm more than 10 miles from base
Flightcase with spares of all cables, brackets, tools, batteries etc etc
Netbook
Laptop
iPad
Chargers
HDDs

I don't carry spare lights, though I normally have an LED par can or two in the van.

DJIanScott
02-09-2014, 07:49 PM
For back-up, I only carry an iDJ Pro with iPad, lots of spare cables and an iPod. Never bothered with spare active speakers......chances of two failing are fairly remote. If they do........I'll use my charm to entertain them........

Reel Feeva
03-09-2014, 12:35 PM
I carry spares of virtually everything. The only things I dont carry are spare speaker poles or a DJ stand.

I did have the misfortune to have a very quick set up in March and in the rush, plugged my PA direct into the mains, and not into the surge protector that I normally use, and that night suffered a spike. My PA at the time was an LD Dave 15 with the bi amp in the sub, so when that goes, the passive tops stop also. Fortunately it was 10 minutes from the end and after taking the back off the sub, it was simply both fuses which were blown, so quickly replaced these and had time to play Loch Lomond before the end of the night.

Since then I have taken the precaution a little further and have bought a pair of EV ZLXs and each one now gets plugged into a different power source via a surge protector, and if I need the sub, I simply daisy chain it back using the crossover in the EVs. I also carry the passive tops for the LD system just to be on the safe side in the unlikely event both EVs stop.

I also carry a tripod in the van and a Beamz lighting bar, should my Acme lighting controller fail, or indeed all lights go out at the same time. If the lighting controller does fail, I also have plenty of mains to IEC cables, that I could still power most of the lights from extensions.

I work with 2 laptops, each identical and carry 2 mixing desks. I always work with one laptop, and have the other cue'd up with a tune should the other fail. The laptops have never been connected to the internet, again reducung the risk of picking something up causing running issues. I have a couple of laptops at home which I use for downloading/internet use and transfer music between them all.

I wouldnt dream of going out without basic tools, fuses, spares, or indeed a contingency should something fail during set-up. After all its your reputation on the line. I have never thought about trousers, but I tend to do my set up in casual clothing(with corporate polo shirt of course) and get changed into the formal clothing before starting the gig.

Shakermaker Promotions
03-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Just out of interest, what app do people have on their iPads for playout purposes?
I did have a free ages ago and didn't think much of it. I'm wondering whether the VDJ one is any good or is there anything else that is recommended?
I'm going to start taking mine out with me and have it connected up just in case I have 'one of those nights'.

Shaun
03-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Just out of interest, what app do people have on their iPads for playout purposes?
I did have a free ages ago and didn't think much of it. I'm wondering whether the VDJ one is any good or is there anything else that is recommended?
I'm going to start taking mine out with me and have it connected up just in case I have 'one of those nights'.

DJAY. :beer1:

funkymook
03-09-2014, 05:00 PM
DJAY. :beer1:

DJAY here too - I've tried a few of the others and that's by far the easiest I've found.

yourdj
03-09-2014, 05:09 PM
DJAY - never even thought of looking for another App as its truly awesome! :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-09-2014, 06:11 PM

VDJ don't make one Gary - they have an app for a remote to control the software from your iPad or iPhone, but not the stand alone software.

Excalibur
03-09-2014, 07:31 PM

Those of us who have eschewed fruit based computer products can't use DJAY. The least worst free one I've found is Edjing. I know it only has one playout channel, but good old Media Monkey is a reliable and effective solution.

DJColsie
03-09-2014, 08:47 PM

djay 2 does it for me. £2.99 from the App Store.

yourdj
03-09-2014, 10:26 PM
plugged my PA direct into the mains, and not into the surge protector that I normally use, and that night suffered a spike. My PA at the time was an LD Dave 15 with the bi amp in the sub, so when that goes, the passive tops stop also.

I have never thought about trousers.

thats interesting. what was the spike from - Never experienced such a thing - I assume a generator.
I use a Dave but assume it will be the same for any system?

An emergency power unit is a good bet especially with sound limiters. I am thinking of getting one.
It only last about 15 mins but is good for that time.

Trousers area VERY good idea. I managed to split a pair and was wearing white pants.
Luckily the florist sewed them up LOL.

Larry B Entertainment
04-09-2014, 08:21 AM
thats interesting. what was the spike from - Never experienced such a thing - I assume a generator.

Trousers area VERY good idea. I managed to split a pair and was wearing white pants.

Probably a gennie without monitored outputs. I lost a couple of iMove lamps and a stepper motor a few years ago running on a gennie like that.

I had a problem in the trouser dept a few weeks back when I got on stage in front of a room full of students and felt something tear lol Needless to say I always have a spare pair at work now. One of those things you dont think about until it happens.

Shakermaker Promotions
04-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Reel Feeva
04-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Probably a gennie without monitored outputs. I lost a couple of iMove lamps and a stepper motor a few years ago running on a gennie like that.

I have also had the boards damaged in 2 Acme LEDs when I was out in Germany a couple of years ago, and it was a generator which caused it, but the PA episode was in a new school and I don't know what caused both fuses to blow. Its not as if I was driving the system hard and had only been using it for near on 2 hours. It was nowhere near peak, and indeed was only turned up half way and the mixer was below the clip level. The only thing I can think of, is if someone else within the building turned something off, like the aircon for example and it caused an increase in power elsewhere.

The morale however is that I had the means to sort it and finish the night, and have taken more preventative measures for the future.

DJ Tony McQue
08-09-2014, 10:01 AM
I am just starting out again but my backup playout is going to be Traktor on the iPad and the z1 controller. I would use the z1 as my main mixer if it had a microphone input, it is a great little unit when used with the x1 controller. Even without the controller, the Traktor app on the iPad is great - I mixed an entire radio show live with it on more than one occasion.

Twinspin
20-10-2014, 01:56 AM
Usually for backup

1x RCF active speaker (same as my main pair)
1x Soundcraft EPM12 Mixer
1x ESI Maya 44 External Soundcard
2x Sony Laptops
1x Numark DJ 2 Go controller
3x spare Corded Microphones.

God bless backup gear. Better safe than sorry.

soundmaster mobile disco
31-10-2014, 08:25 PM
I had a situation last Saturday where my virtual dj decided to play up. It was playing all the tracks at a go slow pace. I restarted my laptop but still no difference, luckily this was just at the set up point.so it was out to my van for my back up play out system the numark hd mix.

If I did not have any back up then im not sure what I would have done

Just goes to show the importance of carrying back up equipment.

yourdj
01-11-2014, 03:07 PM
I was in a bar last night. The sound suddenly went dead.
the DJ looked panicked and blamed it on the amps. Paniking staff ran upstairs and he then loaded a CD.
He played a bit from it and then made them go back as"it was still dead".

he then plead the CD and low and behind rebooted his Mac (light went off).

What a muppet. :)

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
01-11-2014, 03:15 PM
I had a situation last Saturday where my virtual dj decided to play up. It was playing all the tracks at a go slow pace. I restarted my laptop but still no difference, luckily this was just at the set up point.so it was out to my van for my back up play out system the numark hd mix.

If I did not have any back up then im not sure what I would have done

Just goes to show the importance of carrying back up equipment.

Was it maybe just a case of the key shift being locked on with VDJ?

Seems a bit strange that it would play everything slowly but I have bumped keys before and had weird stuff kick in. Check the little padlock symbols next to your "deck", pitch and sync sections.

Reel Feeva
02-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Can't say how relieved I was last week that I carry spares. Turned up to do a 60th birthday party and when I turned on my main laptop to soundcheck VDJ wouldn't recognise my soundcard. Into the settings of VDJ and still it would not play sound even out the headphone socket or even the computer's own speakers. I always take 3 laptops so I used them to do the gig whilst my son went out to my van and messed about with it. 30 minutes later it was all sorted and at the buffet I switched them over and continued the night.

I have done 2 other discos since with no problems but so glad I do always have a back up of everything.

Shaun
02-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences - it just goes to show the importance of backup. There are new DJs coming into the profession every week, if any come across this thread hopefully they gain invaluable insight to the importance of backup equipment.

If anyone else would like to add, please feel free... :) :beer1:

Share any experiences of times you've had to use backup

Excalibur
02-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Was it maybe just a case of the key shift being locked on with VDJ?

Seems a bit strange that it would play everything slowly but I have bumped keys before and had weird stuff kick in. Check the little padlock symbols next to your "deck", pitch and sync sections.
I've had similar issues when the latency appeared to have spontaneously changed.

Can't say how relieved I was last week that I carry spares. Turned up to do a 60th birthday party and when I turned on my main laptop to soundcheck VDJ wouldn't recognise my soundcard. Into the settings of VDJ and still it would not play sound even out the headphone socket or even the computer's own speakers..

When they go wrong, they go wrong in spades. I've had similar problems, but less often lately. ( That's tempting fate, isn't it ? )

dicky
02-11-2014, 10:17 PM
OK well yes I agree with the need for backups

Way back in the day I lost the amp at the end of my first set on a wedding reception. I had a band on the same night as me) and fortunately they let me use their PA for my last hour, but after than I always ran two amps.

So in my new incarnation I am running

2 x 18" passive subs with a W Audio EP 1300 - this is a new amp
2 x dual 15" passives + horns with a C Audio (Crown) Pulse 21100 - this is a second hand amp

As the 18" are 8 ohm and the dual 15's are 4 ohm either amp could handle the whole lot reasonably well since they will both run down to 2 ohms and in my best reckoning of ohms law 8 + 4 in parallel = 3 ohms :D

Actually the Crown Amp could handle the whole lot very well IMHO

I've got a Numark Mixtrack Pro II and I am gonna get one of those little Numark 'mini' controllers as a backup as they are only £40

I'm running two PCs anyway one with an internal HDD and the other with a USB external one, both have my complete collection of tracks, I don't trust the things 100% - plus it kinda occurred to me already I could use one to connect to the venues wireless internet in case I get requested for something I don't have?

What I didn't think of is having a spare mixer - I figured I could always run one PC direct into the amps. Bit now it has been mentioned on this thread I am kinda wondering about that. Perhaps I should just get a second hand cheapie of ebay?

Leads I have quite a few spares of - and if push comes to shove am I correct in saying if you lose a vital XLR audio cable you can always use a DMX one by cutting/removing the 120R resistor from inside the connector? OK so you may have to borrow one from your lightingh rig and will lose master/slave on one of your light sets but that is not a big problem surely.

Damn it though - come to think of it now I only have one PC monitor!!

Lights wise I have a whole selection of them so surely that can never be a problem if one or two pack up on the night

So is that me pretty much covered then? Apart from the trousers department perhaps LOL. If i need to be doing more then any advise would be nice

Cheers
dicky

DJ Jules
03-11-2014, 07:29 AM
am I correct in saying if you lose a vital XLR audio cable you can always use a DMX one by cutting/removing the 120R resistor from inside the connector?

Nope - the terminator resistor would only be at the ends of the DMX chain, not on every cable (unless you have a XLR connector with a resistor in it, you'll probably find you're actually not using terminating resistors anywhere).

The only difference between DMX and Microphone/audio cable is the maximum data rate (DMX cables are basically built to handle a higher frequency signal without degradation) so it's fine to use DMX for audio (but not vice versa).

Julian

yourdj
03-11-2014, 08:41 AM
I still think for easy of use/space requirements, reliability - iPad and Djay is up top.
I use an iPad 1 but will get a 2 or 3 after christmas as for some stupid reason DJAY did not add a search function?
I can't for the life of me find one? I can scroll my playlists and its fast enough to keep up as I had to use it once.

Although I have a spare mac pro (at home as my wife uses it) with all my music on I think I am going to duplicate my set up on the road.
This is currently a macbook Pro and Vci 300 mk2.

Nice to know though that you have another mac and VCI. Black macs 2.5 gig are dirt cheap now and so are the controllers. :)
Going cheap for controllers and stuff as backup is not a good idea as you will kick yourself even you have to use it.

Laptop: £150-£170 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/apple-macbook-black-500gig-HD-2G-RAM-2g-Intel-chip-/161471719550?pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Laptops_ET&hash=item259876e87e

Controller £100-£130: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vestax-vci-300-/271652125889?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item3f3fba7cc1

At the prices I charge I have no excuse. :)

dicky
03-11-2014, 11:14 AM
The only difference between DMX and Microphone/audio cable is the maximum data rate (DMX cables are basically built to handle a higher frequency signal without degradation) so it's fine to use DMX for audio (but not vice versa).

Julian

Thanks Jules, I've learned something useful already. I just assumed they had the 120R resistor in the DMX lead as I bought a couple of connectors to make up some leads and one happened to have the resistor fitted. When I called the shop they told me I had been given a DMX terminator by mistake and just to remove it.

As I am really good with electronics it makes perfect sense to me that the terminator would only be at the end of the device chain now you come to mention it :)

dicky

atlanticdisco
26-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Backups have been used a few times over the years.

I currently take a ddj wego2 and iPad as back for music play out, spare active speakers, cables and usually two spare effects. This lets me in my eyes carry on playing no matter what. The wego and iPad are a great combo.