PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new sound system

Reminisce disco
09-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Hi all,

I had to sell my sound system 12 months ago to pay some unexpected bills (mackie 450s and 1501 sub) and almost had to retire from gigging having to hire whenever I had a gig and making very little money.
I'm almost in the position to buy a new system, budget is around 1500 and am looking for recommendations as to what's hot and what's not at the moment. Gigs are mainly hotels and pubs playing to 150-200 max.
I know we all have a different ear for sound so I will attempt a listening session before I buy but would just like some thoughts within my limited budget range, many thanks.

DJColsie
09-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Hi Andy.

I would guess one of the first questions is are you looking for a set up similar to what you sold previously, i.e. 1 sub 2 tops or would you prefer 2 quality tops( which still might struggle with audiences of 150/200) or more value for money and less quality 2 subs and two tops?

Pe7e
09-09-2014, 11:52 AM
I've just purchased a quantity of speakers and found for the following at discounted prices from Thomann DE, Mackie v3 set, 2 x speakers, 2 x Mackie bags and 2 x speaker stands £760 inc delivery, the v3s have more power than the v2s and an onboard DSP Mackie HD1521 £1320 pair inc delivery, and Mackie HD1521 subs £660 each inc delivery. At the moment the HD1521s and the HD1501 subs are out of stock until the 20th of next month, but worth the wait, (I've got more on order myself) If you don't mind the weight and size a pair of HD1521s would make a great choice IMO, and you wouldn't need a sub.

450v3 bundle (http://www.thomann.de/gb/mackie_srm_450_v3_bundle.htm)
HD1521 (http://www.thomann.de/gb/mackie_hd1521.htm)
HD1501 subs (http://www.thomann.de/gb/mackie_hd1501.htm)

Reminisce disco
09-09-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm open to suggestions really, some great ideas so far. I think I would prefer to have a sub or two however you have to remember that when I didn't use my sub my V1's didn't seem to produce anywhere near enough bass on their own so that's why I'd lean towards getting a sub or 2.

Shaun
09-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Hi Andy,

What sort of budget do you have in mind? Knowing a ballpark figure might help our members in providing suggestions. :beer1:

Reminisce disco
09-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Hi Shaun, as my original post says, budget is limited to around 1500 max, cheers

Shaun
09-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Doh! Apologies. It would help if I opened my eyes. :d

Reminisce disco
09-09-2014, 01:45 PM
No problem haha

DeckstarDeluxe
09-09-2014, 01:45 PM
While it isn't the best setting for sound testing BPM might be worth a visit to have a look and maybe narrow down your search.

Excalibur
09-09-2014, 05:09 PM
. I think I would prefer to have a sub or two however you have to remember that when I didn't use my sub my V1's didn't seem to produce anywhere near enough bass on their own so that's why I'd lean towards getting a sub or 2.

That's not surprising. One of our number is attempting to achieve something similar with two boxes. looky here (http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?41763-Yamaha-DXR-15-s&highlight=yamaha)

For four boxes at £1500, you've got around £350-£400 per box. Tops (http://www.thomann.de/gb/rcf_art_312_a_mk_iii.htm)
Subs are way trickier. The 15" Alto, and the 12" LD are in budget, but I'd not expect either to keep up with those RCFs. The 18" Altos and 15" Dbs are where that budget stops.
However, if you're prepared to have just one sub, we can go up to match the tops. Here's a nice one (http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_dxs_15.htm)

And one with
good specs (http://www.thomann.de/gb/db_technologies_sub_15_d.htm)

If you must have two, the only way I can get near that budget is the way I went. two of these (http://www.thomann.de/gb/ld_systems_lde_sub_15_g2.htm) and a chuffing great secondhand Studiomaster amp I already had. Perhaps one active one might be an option.

I've heard the RCF tops many a time, and I own the passive LD subs. I also have an active Alto 15", but don't rate it highly. The others I'm unfamiliar with. Hope this helps.

musicology
09-09-2014, 06:21 PM
The Yamaha DXR15 is bang on budget. Full range with plenty of bottom.

Pe7e
09-09-2014, 06:32 PM
However, if you're prepared to have just one sub, we can go up to match the tops. Here's a nice one (http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_dxs_15.htm)

The Yamaha sub looks to be a great bit of kit for the money, versatile too, if I wasn't pretty much exclusively Mackie equipped these days, I'd be very tempted to buy a couple.

Excalibur
09-09-2014, 06:58 PM
The Yamaha sub looks to be a great bit of kit for the money, versatile too, if I wasn't pretty much exclusively Mackie equipped these days, I'd be very tempted to buy a couple.

Indeed. I rather wish I'd gone for one Yamaha active instead of two Passive LDs.

Sapphire Disco
09-09-2014, 07:02 PM
I think I would go for a pair of these
http://www.thomann.de/gb/rcf_art_712a_mk_ii.htm

With one or two secondhand subs.

Reminisce disco
10-09-2014, 07:15 AM
Yamaha certainly seem very popular these days, DXR 15's sound really good and I'm certainly going to consider them as an option, thanks for everyone's help so far !

Pe7e
10-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Truthfully, I've never heard anything with a Yamaha badge on it that's been properly set up sound bad, apart from a FS1E

DJColsie
10-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Truthfully, I've never heard anything with a Yamaha badge on it that's been properly set up sound bad, apart from a FS1E

FS1E

now there is a blast from the past, brings back memories of the last year at school. Certainly faster than a sub and probably just as heavy!! Not as comfortable to sit on though!!

Twinspin
15-12-2014, 04:20 PM
I've had RCF 312A's for about 6 years mine are the MK1 version though. They have been really good for me.

Ive just gone up to the ART712A last week and I really like them. I took them out for the first time on Friday night without any subwoofers. Put the bass boost on and they were very punchy. There come a time in the night where I moved my low eq on my mixer to 10 o clock (from 12 o clock flat) to knock some bass off.

I really like them.

yourdj
15-12-2014, 10:23 PM
I've heard the RCF tops many a time, and I own the passive LD subs.

Funny you say that I have used ONE 12 inch LD dave (V2) and 2 RCF 310's for four years now and it has been spot on even in marquees. I never knew that the 125 watt output from the LD would be so loud with the RCF's (128 SPL). If you have time on your hands you could get the LD Dave for £2-300 and the tops at £150-200 each. I have a second sub (3 in total) but have only ever needed the one.

I tested the Hisys for Peavey (Promobile 64) and was very impressed with that, especially the tops and the preset level switch on the back.
That would come nicely in on budget. As per the above - Yamaha also a good bet.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?num=100&biw=1280&bih=702&tbm=shop&q=peavey+hisys+h10&oq=peavey+hisys+h10&gs_l=serp.3...12079.13658.0.13956.4.4.0.0.0.0.200. 576.1j2j1.4.0.msedr...0...1c.1.60.serp..3.1.73.BFE NM-6T5GA#spd=15682850683395015776

deltic
15-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Worth a listen

http://www.b-52pro.com/products/Matrix1000V2.html

Nakatomi
16-12-2014, 01:08 AM
Funny you say that I have used ONE 12 inch LD dave (V2) and 2 RCF 310's for four years now and it has been spot on even in marquees. I never knew that the 125 watt output from the LD would be so loud with the RCF's (128 SPL). If you have time on your hands you could get the LD Dave for £2-300 and the tops at £150-200 each. I have a second sub (3 in total) but have only ever needed the one.

I tested the Hisys for Peavey (Promobile 64) and was very impressed with that, especially the tops and the preset level switch on the back.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?num=100&biw=1280&bih=702&tbm=shop&q=peavey+hisys+h10&oq=peavey+hisys+h10&gs_l=serp.3...12079.13658.0.13956.4.4.0.0.0.0.200. 576.1j2j1.4.0.msedr...0...1c.1.60.serp..3.1.73.BFE NM-6T5GA#spd=15682850683395015776

Watching this thread with interest.. I'm likely to be in the market for either a set of new (2nd hand) active speakers or a complete overhaul of some cheap knocked about a bit SRM450s (anybody know if new front grilles for SRM450s can be bought easily.. my google-fu is letting me down)

Interesting that the Peavey HiSys 10" model can go down to 59Hz.. though I hope that's a -10dB or better figure. Less than 14kg too...

Having worked quite a few times with even well worn SRM450s I have to say I like them a lot - but then I've not heard much else recently other than some Opera 510 speakers on somebody else's rig - and they really lacked low end compared to the Mackies (it might've just been EQ of course).

mattydj50
16-12-2014, 11:39 AM

That review prompted me yo look at the Peaveys and now I've got 4 of the HiSys H12's and am very impressed with them. I use 2 in smaller venues and double up to 4 in bigger venues. I don't find I need subs at all and, given their sound/weight ratio (they are lighter than my old Peavey passives), they meet my needs for lighter, more manageable kit, which is now a necessity on health grounds.

yourdj
16-12-2014, 01:19 PM
That review prompted me yo look at the Peaveys and now I've got 4 of the HiSys H12's and am very impressed with them. I use 2 in smaller venues and double up to 4 in bigger venues. I don't find I need subs at all and, given their sound/weight ratio (they are lighter than my old Peavey passives), they meet my needs for lighter, more manageable kit, which is now a necessity on health grounds.

Good - glad it helped. It was in my living room for over a month and I had hoped they had forgotten i had them as I really wanted to try them at a gig. If you are not too snooty about your sound, don't do large events and are happy that it all runs off one amp then I would strongly recommend the LD & RCF combination. my sub hides behind the booth so only the tops are on show.

V1 (V2 is a bit better): £170-300 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LD-Systems-Dave-12-ACTIVE-SUB-BASS-300W-SPEAKER-AMP-SUBWOOFER-2-TOPS-RRP-660-/131377078020?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item1e96af1f04 :p
RCF V3 (I HAVE V1's) (new): £200-£300 each - https://www.decks.co.uk/products/speakers/rcf/art315-p?gclid=cj0keqiazb-kbrde49qh9s75m-wbeiqatoxgwdqzs5dgzo4-evheeexp7wtkdxsshv-0jhgsx0j--s0aatme8p8haq
You will need back up LD Sub or two actives / AMP, But not had one issue in 5 years using this combination.

Shakermaker Promotions
16-12-2014, 02:51 PM
On another note, just a quick mention about the Mackie SRM450. I have the newer versions and they are spot on.
I've also realised how tough they are. This was un-intentionally yesterday. I was moving my set up a few feet so that the room could be split for a conference today and I didn't have to pack up everything and go back. I accidentally knocked over one of the stands as I backed up and all I heard was a massive thud as the speaker and stand hit the floor. I thought the worst. Not a mark on the speaker and after taking it off the stand and testing it for around an hour, it's working as it always has been so I would recommend them definitely.

As far as replacement grills are concerned - Maybe it's worth contacting shops and suppliers to see if they have any knocking about which may have been slightly damaged in transit?

Nakatomi
20-12-2014, 03:57 PM
On another note, just a quick mention about the Mackie SRM450. I have the newer versions and they are spot on.
I've also realised how tough they are. This was un-intentionally yesterday. I was moving my set up a few feet so that the room could be split for a conference today and I didn't have to pack up everything and go back. I accidentally knocked over one of the stands as I backed up and all I heard was a massive thud as the speaker and stand hit the floor. I thought the worst. Not a mark on the speaker and after taking it off the stand and testing it for around an hour, it's working as it always has been so I would recommend them definitely.

As far as replacement grills are concerned - Maybe it's worth contacting shops and suppliers to see if they have any knocking about which may have been slightly damaged in transit?

As for the SRM450s in need of new grilles. ... When I saw the reaction as I suggested I could probably pick up a pair in good nick for around £500 I lost interest. If something costs almost a grand new and has seen a fair bit of use I think half the new price is reasonable. Hey ho whatever. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for some RCF ART315s closer to home too - I've seen a pair on Gumtree for under £400 but they're right at the bottom of the country (boo!).

Having seen positive things posted about Alto active tops I'm considering auditioning a pair of TS115As at my local disco shop in the new year nearer the time I'd be looking to start building my rig.

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
20-12-2014, 04:55 PM
As for the SRM450s in need of new grilles. ... When I saw the reaction as I suggested I could probably pick up a pair in good nick for around £500 I lost interest. If something costs almost a grand new and has seen a fair bit of use I think half the new price is reasonable. Hey ho whatever. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for some RCF ART315s closer to home too - I've seen a pair on Gumtree for under £400 but they're right at the bottom of the country (boo!).

Having seen positive things posted about Alto active tops I'm considering auditioning a pair of TS115As at my local disco shop in the new year nearer the time I'd be looking to start building my rig.

I'm selling a pair of Alto 15s just now if you fancy picking them up or spending a fortune on shipping :o

Great speakers for the price.

Pe7e
21-12-2014, 02:04 AM

You can buy a pair of Mackie SRM 450 V3's with a pair of decent stands, and a pair of genuine Mackie bags, PLUS a 3 year guarantee and free delivery for £775 from Thomann.de I would expect to be able to purchase a pair of S/H V2s in excellent nick for £350 or less. Personally I'd give Alto's and similar brands a wide berth, IMO, they're not in the same class.