PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever step in to help a struggling DJ?

little al
15-11-2014, 05:48 AM
20 odd years ago, I was attending the wedding of some great friends of mine. I offered to do the DJing for free, but they wanted me to enjoy the day and have a drink, so they left it to the venue to organise. The wedding was in a tiny hamlet in Norfolk where weddings were so rare that it was mentioned in the local paper as being the first there for about 30 years. Anyway, we got to the reception, which was in the church hall/scout hut, and the "DJ" turned out to be 2 15 year old kids (yes, I did warn them to have a meeting first, advice they ignored). It was patently obviuos tat these kids were out of their depth, they wouldn't use the mic to introduce the first dance as they were too shy, so I was asked to step in. I went up to them to offer advice, and it was welcomed. I made it clear that I wouldn't take over, but having worked this crowd many times before I knew what they liked, I picked quite a few records from their box, and I intodruced the first dance, after that i introduced the two boys and basically forced them to say their names over the mic, gave them some mic tips, and they were away. I told them to give me a shout if they needed me again. The night went quite well after that.

Anyway, to my point. Next week I am attending my cousins wedding down in Hampshire. From his posts on Facebook over the last year or so, it is obvious that they are on a very tight budget, I offered to DJ for free if they hired some gear (I live in Aberdeen), but apparently his intended's uncle has offered to do it as he done a gig in a pub once. Would it be rude to take my laptop and hard drive down with me, or just let him get on with it and if it goes wrong just let it go?

Sorry for waffling.

leelive
15-11-2014, 07:39 AM
Would it be rude to take my laptop and hard drive down with me, or just let him get on with it and if it goes wrong just let it go?
Don't take over. Leave them. I attended my brothers wedding a few years ago down-south. He had spent £50 on a DJ..... It was unbelievably dire. I didn't care as my brother is an idiot...

On a similar subject....

I was once asked by a DJ that I met exhibiting a wedding fair to recommend him for work.
Told him that I had to see him perform first so attended a gig to see him.

When I arrived I wondered why there was no music..... then I track came on.

He saw me and ushered me in.
There was a table with a laptop on with a jack coming out of the headphone socket feeding into a cheap mixing desk underneath. He didn't even have a soundcard!

He was sitting down at the table and really had no idea how to DJ and was playing one track and leaving a gap in-between songs. Sometimes speaking over the gaps. I had to give him a quick lesson in mixing in key and then left.

He is still in business with his laptop still on a empty table doing weddings.....

Excalibur
15-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Oh dear, between a rock and a hard place. :(

Something I've harped on about before, is our aim in life to do our job properly, and to Hades with anyone else, or is it to do ( almost ) anything in our power to make the event a big success? ( Patching the singer into your PA, cos there's not even enough room for you, never mind another set of kit, lending the chocloate fountain an extension cable, cos theirs is too short, or whatever )

Except in this case, we haven't actually been booked to do a job. That can make it tricky. For me it's simple. Party needs music, so I provide music, end of, if I can. I'd only be sat there moaning a bucketful otherwise, so it's win-win. Now, I readily concede that I may not be in the majority with this view, so be it.

Laptop, hard drive, sound card, bag of cables and a DJ2GO, it's notlike transporting a van load of kit, is it?

soundmaster mobile disco
15-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Don't take over. Leave them. I attended my brothers wedding a few years ago down-south. He had spent £50 on a DJ..... It was unbelievably dire. I didn't care as my brother is an idiot...

On a similar subject....

I was once asked by a DJ that I met exhibiting a wedding fair to recommend him for work.
Told him that I had to see him perform first so attended a gig to see him.

When I arrived I wondered why there was no music..... then I track came on.

He saw me and ushered me in.
There was a table with a laptop on with a jack coming out of the headphone socket feeding into a cheap mixing desk underneath. He didn't even have a soundcard!

He was sitting down at the table and really had no idea how to DJ and was playing one track and leaving a gap in-between songs. Sometimes speaking over the gaps. I had to give him a quick lesson in mixing in key and then left.

He is still in business with his laptop still on a empty table doing weddings.....

Unfortunately these so called wedding djs are still out there, giving the publics wrong perception of us wedding pros

If I went along to a wedding, I am there to enjoy myself and not entertain, but if I felt things were not going great,i would offer my advice to the dj

so yes al take your laptop with you, hopefully you wont need it.

ppentertainments
15-11-2014, 12:13 PM

Must be doing something right then !

Benny Smyth
15-11-2014, 12:24 PM
I avoid talking to other DJs when they are working. Otherwise I'll just be 'that guy'.

Let them drown. It's character building. :p

Excalibur
15-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Let them drown. It's character building. :p

But may spoil Someone's Big Day. Not nice.

Would spoil mine too, I know we've had this one before, but " they don't want me to DJ, they want me to have a drink and enjoy myself ". Enjoy myself, eh? By watching someone with sub standard gear, a shortage of suitable music, a shortage of suitable attitude, and very little idea what to do spoil the night for a hundred or so people? I think not.

By watching the same room full of people* having a blast because of me, oh yuss.

* Minus my wife. She knows full well why I feel this way, but she doesn't like it. Ah well. :(

funktions
15-11-2014, 02:07 PM
whilst I would love to say let them drown, my sensible side would go to the bride and groom and offer myself to help,
I wouldn't want someones day ruined when I know I could have done something about it...

DazzyD
15-11-2014, 02:09 PM
I'd try not to get involved. A poor DJ might spoil the night for some guests but being punched on the nose for sticking it in and upsetting a guy doing his version of his job would probably spoil my night! :o

Must be doing something right then !

Cheap! ;)

Excalibur
15-11-2014, 02:10 PM
whilst I would love to say let them drown, my sensible side would go to the bride and groom and offer myself to help,
I wouldn't want someones day ruined when I know I could have done something about it...

Hallelujah, Brethren. Another disciple. :D

ppentertainments
15-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Cheap! ;)
Which maybe isn't such a bad thing - after all it sounds like he's been running for a while and has maybe decided that is his market.

Personally, I find people like that less harmful to the trade then those who come along, pretending to be great and commanding high fees, only to disappear after a few months, or realistically take cheap agent bookings, or only actually work maybe a dozen times a year ..........

Shaun
15-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Would I take gear along just in case? No. I doubt I'd approach with the "I'm a DJ" line too. If it was all going pear shape I'd more than likely approach as a guest and suggest a few song suggestions that I feel might work, and offer some suggestions and encouragement. We all have to start somewhere and I know that I wouldn't like it one bit if in the early days I was having a less than successful night and some DJ came up and tried to take over.

For me, I think a subtle less intrusive approach would be my preferred option.

Excalibur
15-11-2014, 03:03 PM

Shuan, somebody's hacked your account again!! :D:D:D

OK, to be serious, I think a lot of folk are missing a vital point here. It's family, not just a friend of a friend of a friend. How can you watch someone make a complete horlicks of it, when you could put your underpants on over your trousers, and fly to the rescue? ( Oops, tablets are wearing off again. ) It's not like you're wandering into a club, and shouldering a complete stranger out of the booth, cos he's not playing the Birdie Song. If said Uncle is looking at tumbleweed blowing across the floor, don't you think he'd welcome some ( tactful ) help? I'm not advocating a hostile takeover, just a spot of help, for after all, an ounce of help is worth a pound of pity.

Here's a little tale. A customer of mine was building a deck. I'd laid a concrete base in the middle for his hot tub, and he intended to make the deck himself, so he made a frame, and fixed it as per someone else's instructions. Trouble was, it wasn't stable, just like a jelly in a hurricane isn't. I was doing another job there, and had a look at the deck frame. Bear in mind, that although my involvement in this project had finished, I couldn't bear to leave it for him to struggle with. Fifteen minutes with a chainsaw, a very large hammer and a nailgun made the frame safe to use.

I don't understand the mindset of someone who could stand idly by as the whole function bombed. Isn't the success of the function more important than an ego or two?

Daryll
15-11-2014, 03:20 PM

:like:

Shaun
15-11-2014, 03:54 PM
OK, to be serious, I think a lot of folk are missing a vital point here. It's family, not just a friend of a friend of a friend. How can you watch someone make a complete horlicks of it, when you could put your underpants on over your trousers, and fly to the rescue? ?

The OP stated that he already offered to help, but was told another family member is doing it. I'd be happy to offer advice on the night, so he'd get some assistance without me being a stand-in and taking over. Best of both worlds. The other DJ/uncle still gets to do what he's there to do and I still get to enjoy my evening as a guest.

What I wouldn't even consider doing is thinking in advance to take along equipment just in case. The cousin has already made the decision to use someone else.

Shakermaker Promotions
15-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Sorry if this sounds harsh but are some people being serious??? Are you saying that if you are invited to a wedding yourselves that you'd take a few bits and bobs with you just in case the DJ is a bit 'iffy' or runs in to problems? It may be because I've just woken up after an afternoon nap because I've had no sleep and I am working again tonight but I can't actually believe that.
Yes, I am a firm believer in trying to help out to with advice should it be needed to try and avoid a Bride & Groom's big day being spoilt BUT to go to a wedding as some kind of super hero DJ there to save the day?

A number of years ago I felt really bad for the DJ who was working for a friend of mine at the time when I had to more or less go and 'save the day'. This was a Christmas Party as it goes but I had the night off as I'd done a few in a row. I was contacted and told to and get it sorted. The guy was a well known DJ in the area. He was an older gentleman and had made his name in the 60s. He was still playing 7" vinyls at the time and there weren't any problems with the equipment whatsoever. It was the guests that just didn't take to him. When I arrived there were lots of girls dancing on tables and he just couldn't handle the crowd. He wasn't even expecting me to turn up and as far as I know it was the Manager of the venue who had called my friend who'd got me down there. The poor DJ hadn't even been told I was on my way and when I arrived it was down to me to tell him. It was awkward as he suddenly realised and when the guests realised that they were getting a different DJ and I started to get the equipment in, they started chanting "Get off" to the other DJ. It was horrible and I felt sorry for him. I didn't like what I was doing and I should of said No to my friend but I didn't.
It also put added pressure on me because it was a tough crowd. As it goes, it went really well and the Manager was full of praise but it must have dented the other DJ's confidence big time.

I don't do the whole "I am a DJ too mate" thing when I chat to other DJ's if I am a guest at a Wedding or party. If someone was going wrong and they were struggling then I would possibly offer some advice as I wouldn't want to see anyone's function spoilt for whatever reason but there's no way I would take stuff along with me just in case.

Shaun
15-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Sorry if this sounds harsh but are some people being serious??? Are you saying that if you are invited to a wedding yourselves that you'd take a few bits and bobs with you just in case the DJ is a bit 'iffy' or runs in to problems? It may be because I've just woken up after an afternoon nap because I've had no sleep and I am working again tonight but I can't actually believe that.

:like:

funkymook
15-11-2014, 04:21 PM
I'd be too busy at my own gig to offer any help at another one....

little al
15-11-2014, 04:23 PM
I don't do the big "I am " either. I don't even know if this guy is going to struggle. I just want my cousin to have a good night. I would nver go up to a DJ saying I am one as well as that always puts pressure on them, and I will only get involved if my cousin asks me to. Anyway, I am down for a few days so will have a laptop with me anyway, and my hard drive is just a bit bigger than an iphone, so will pop it into my bag. My Mum is driving to the venue so I can leave it in her boot, just in case.
I really hope I am not needed.

And I am in no way Billy Big :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored: :Censored::Censored::Censored:.

Thanks for all your replies. They have all been most helpful.

DeckstarDeluxe
15-11-2014, 04:42 PM
If someone was dieing a slow death then yeah I'd step in and offer. Would I take a laptop and HD down with with me if my gut feeling told me the DJ might be dodgy....yeah I would but wouldn't mention it unless I was asked to help out on the day.

little al
15-11-2014, 04:54 PM
If someone was dieing a slow death then yeah I'd step in and offer. Would I take a laptop and HD down with with me if my gut feeling told me the DJ might be dodgy....yeah I would but wouldn't mention it unless I was asked to help out on the day.

Oh I won't, the bag will be left in the car. IF I am asked, I will first try to give advice, if I then need to get my laptop/hard drive I will, but only if its clear the DJ is OK with it, or my cousin demands. I really don't want to knock anyones confidence, but I don't want my cousins wedding to be crap either. As someone said earlier, I am between a rock and a hard place, as they know I can do the job. If I was just an anonymous punter then that would be fine.

DeckstarDeluxe
15-11-2014, 05:12 PM
Oh I won't, the bag will be left in the car. IF I am asked, I will first try to give advice, if I then need to get my laptop/hard drive I will, but only if its clear the DJ is OK with it, or my cousin demands. I really don't want to knock anyones confidence, but I don't want my cousins wedding to be crap either. As someone said earlier, I am between a rock and a hard place, as they know I can do the job. If I was just an anonymous punter then that would be fine.

The last thing I would want to do is step in but if you read the OP it doesn't sound great....

little al
15-11-2014, 05:22 PM
The last thing I would want to do is step in but if you read the OP it doesn't sound great....

I know. I was the OP. :)

DeckstarDeluxe
15-11-2014, 05:30 PM
I know. I was the OP. :)
Taxi for me! :zip:

ppentertainments
15-11-2014, 05:30 PM
This brings about the question - how do you define a 'bad DJ' ?

little al
15-11-2014, 05:45 PM
This brings about the question - how do you define a 'bad DJ' ?

Thats a WHOLE different thread.

Shakermaker Promotions
15-11-2014, 05:51 PM
In my opinion (just to get this in there quickly before I have to leave), and not referring to the OP's situation.....

I think if you're a guest at a function then you should be a guest...simple as.
I don't go to many weddings. Saying that, I don't go to many parties, if any because I am always working at them. I would never think of taking anything with me.

I don't think it's about defining what a 'Bad DJ' is either really. Different people will have their own ideas as to what is a bad DJ. If someone was struggling on the night performance wise then it is down to them to learn and to get the experience of what works and what doesn't.
If someone was struggling because of an equipment failure then I would find it very hard to sit there and do nothing. I would offer some advice if it was clear that they couldn't sort out the problem on their own.
We all know what it's like at times. Sometimes it can be the simplest thing but when you have a room full of people, the stress and panic can make the easiest and quickly sortable problem almost invisible. Again, it's down to learning as you go along but if there was an equipment failure and it were possible that I could save the day (where's my super star music?) then I would but it's more than likely that if I am a guest at a party then I'd be enjoying the night off and secondly it may not be possible for me to get any equipment due to location or whatever.

The equipment failure leads to the topic of back up again and that again is a learning curve.
People seem to think this job is easy. It can be at times but you learn as you go along don't you.

little al
15-11-2014, 06:08 PM
In my opinion (just to get this in there quickly before I have to leave), and not referring to the OP's situation.....

I think if you're a guest at a function then you should be a guest...simple as.
I don't go to many weddings. Saying that, I don't go to many parties, if any because I am always working at them. I would never think of taking anything with me.

I don't think it's about defining what a 'Bad DJ' is either really. Different people will have their own ideas as to what is a bad DJ. If someone was struggling on the night performance wise then it is down to them to learn and to get the experience of what works and what doesn't.
If someone was struggling because of an equipment failure then I would find it very hard to sit there and do nothing. I would offer some advice if it was clear that they couldn't sort out the problem on their own.
We all know what it's like at times. Sometimes it can be the simplest thing but when you have a room full of people, the stress and panic can make the easiest and quickly sortable problem almost invisible. Again, it's down to learning as you go along but if there was an equipment failure and it were possible that I could save the day (where's my super star music?) then I would but it's more than likely that if I am a guest at a party then I'd be enjoying the night off and secondly it may not be possible for me to get any equipment due to location or whatever.

The equipment failure leads to the topic of back up again and that again is a learning curve.
People seem to think this job is easy. It can be at times but you learn as you go along don't you.
I tend to agree with all of this, and like you, I have forgotten how to be "a guest" its been so long.

Excalibur
15-11-2014, 07:46 PM
What I wouldn't even consider doing is thinking in advance to take along equipment just in case. The cousin has already made the decision to use someone else.

And exactly how much help can you be if the man with the music only has three Now albums, Take that's greatest hits, and a best of the 70's compilation?

It's like me offering to help a man build a fence, but neither of us has a hammer.

Shaun
15-11-2014, 08:49 PM
And exactly how much help can you be if the man with the music only has three Now albums, Take that's greatest hits, and a best of the 70's compilation?

It's like me offering to help a man build a fence, but neither of us has a hammer.

Then using my experience I'd help him select the best tracks from the albums he has.

At the end of the day I'm there as a guest. I'd do what I could on the night if need be, but within the constraints of being there as a guest. What I wouldn't do is take along equipment just because the DJ may need some help - it seems a little OTT to me. No disrespect intended to the OP.

Excalibur
16-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Then using my experience I'd help him select the best tracks from the albums he has.

Telling him he needs to play some LMFAO, One Direction, Rihanna, strict tempo, swing, indie or thrash metal is no :Censored: help at all if he hasn't got any. It's handicapping yourselves unnecessarily. ( In my humble opinion )

I'm not sure we're poles apart on this one Shaun, and I suspect we're not both viewing it from the same starting point. So be it. :beer1:

Shaun
16-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Telling him he needs to play some LMFAO, One Direction, Rihanna, strict tempo, swing, indie or thrash metal is no :Censored: help at all if he hasn't got any.

What I said was...

And beyond that I'd do no more. I'd be there as a guest, and would be looking forward to relaxing and enjoying a rare night off. Family or not (and this will sound harsh), if the cousins are too cheap to hire someone that knows what they're doing then more fool them. It's the gamble they've obviously decided to take.

dicky
16-11-2014, 05:14 PM

Wasn't all the best music made in the 70's? :p

One reason I wanted to go back to DJing, apart from something I always loved doing, and apart from making some extra money, this is gonna sound bad but i have this belief that a lot of mobile discos are a bit 'rubbish' and actually think I can do a better job.

This may have a lot to do with a lot of people being cheap skates around here so there are a lot of hobby DJs with poor kit, but the final thing that pushed me was when in Torremolinos Spain in September we were frequenting a particular beach bar, the DJ was trying to cater to a wide range of ages but a lot were of the 40+ group. After a few nights popping in here on and off it became pretty obvious that resident the DJ who was probably in his late 20s or early 30s had no real idea about the genre he was trying to play - you would hear the same selection of tracks every time you went in and if you watched him you would see him scratching his head puzzling between tracks what to play next, then you''d just get another repeat of the small selection he played the previous night. This despite he appeared to have a lot of tracks to choose from as he was running form a laptop with a very professinal setup.

Anyway all I did was ask for a few requests over a couple nights which he did play. On our last night there and getting a bit bored I asked him to play Disco Inferno as he was playing 70s stuff. He looked really puzzled at me and said 'Disco Inferno???' but a few women sitting at he nearby table said Oh Yes play That. So he did - next track - you usually had to wait for a while to get a request. It went down great. Folks dancing around the whole place even though it had no dance floor (other than hte beach)

After that he came over from behind the booth and thanked me and I suggested a couple other tracks which also went down well. That was our last night there - he's probably playing Disco Inferno now. Added to the small slection of stuff he plays. No inspiration to me was the problem

That was the catalyst for me. So once I got back home I thought 'Right. I always said I would do this again someday - the day has come'

Whether that will prove to be good or bad and I still have the ability to know what makes folks dance is still yet to be seen. Regards strugglig DJs I would go down the 'suggest some songs I thought may work' route. Don't carry a hard drive with me but I do have some stuff I keep loaded on my mobile phone and that has a jack socket and USB :)

Regards equipment failure though. I agree with what others have said here as it actually happened to me. Back in the early 90s we were at a local club seeing this band we had heard good things about called 'King Pleasure and the Biscuit Boys' When we got there they were all set up on stage. After 10-15 mins watching what was going on it became fairly obvious they had a big problem with some of their kit - the keyboard.

So me being me I stepped up on stage, went over and and said 'look, I'm an electronics engineer, what's the problem maybe I can help?'

The reply from Mr Pleasure was 'never thought to ask if there was a doctor in the house!'

I didn't have any kit with me (obviously) but the problem was that the keyboard was blowing the mains lead fuse as soon as it was switched on. We got the back off it as they had some basic tools. It had a built in PA amp and monitor speakers and I could see straight away there was a blown output device (transistor or FET) on the amp PCB. It was visibly toasted. I couldn't fix it but asked if they could live without the built in monitor speakers. The answer was a resounding YES. Only had a screwdriver and a pair of pliers but I cut the power feed to the monitor amp, fitted another fuse and the keyboard powered up. It still worked fine through the mixer and main PA. There was a lot of relief all round and the night went well after that. I was just glad it was something I could kludge if not exactly fix. Later someone got the bar to bring me a beer :beer1:

We went to see this band once again maybe a year later. They recognised me straght away and said 'Hi'. Said they never had got the keyboard monitor speakers working again but the unit was still doing good service without them..

End of story. I think I very much did the right thing and in a similar situation would definitely offer to do so again.

Rich

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
16-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Would I take gear along just in case? No. I doubt I'd approach with the "I'm a DJ" line too. If it was all going pear shape I'd more than likely approach as a guest and suggest a few song suggestions that I feel might work, and offer some suggestions and encouragement. We all have to start somewhere and I know that I wouldn't like it one bit if in the early days I was having a less than successful night and some DJ came up and tried to take over.

This is pretty much what I done at my sister's wedding and the person in question was / is a guy operating in the higher end of the market.

Coouldn't read page 3 never mind a crowd :p

When I get the odd chance to be a guest at a wedding I just want to chill out and enjoy myself. IF it was going proper :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored: up and someone said "Jim might be able to do something." by all means I'd step in but I don't want to be "that" guy that breenjes in to save the day whether it's warranted or not.

16-11-2014, 05:27 PM
I don't do the big "I am " either. I don't even know if this guy is going to struggle. I just want my cousin to have a good night. I would nver go up to a DJ saying I am one as well as that always puts pressure on them, and I will only get involved if my cousin asks me to. Anyway, I am down for a few days so will have a laptop with me anyway, and my hard drive is just a bit bigger than an iphone, so will pop it into my bag. My Mum is driving to the venue so I can leave it in her boot, just in case.
I really hope I am not needed.

And I am in no way Billy Big :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored: :Censored::Censored::Censored:.

Thanks for all your replies. They have all been most helpful.

Pressure on the DJ?

I've never at one point thought anything other than "aye ok pal, jog on back to your pint." when I've had the old, I'm a DJ too line.

Excalibur
16-11-2014, 05:48 PM
And beyond that I'd do no more. I'd be there as a guest, and would be looking forward to relaxing and enjoying a rare night off.

A perfectly valid and understandable attitude, which I applaud. In many ways I wish I could do that, but as well documented, I'd sit and moan incessantly. ( No change there then, shout many readers. :D )

Family or not (and this will sound harsh), if the cousins are too cheap to hire someone that knows what they're doing then more fool them. It's the gamble they've obviously decided to take.
Not harsh at all. Gamble it is, and not one with a high probability of a favourable result, in my opinion. Sincerely hope I'm wrong, of course.

Wasn't all the best music made in the 70's? :p
Dicky, you michievous little imp. :Naughty: As my old mate Sir Francis might say: " You might think that. I couldn't possibly comment ". :whistle:

One reason I wanted to go back to DJing, apart from something I always loved doing, and apart from making some extra money, this is gonna sound bad but i have this belief that a lot of mobile discos are a bit 'rubbish' and actually think I can do a better job.

I refer the honourable member to my previous statement.

End of story. I think I very much did the right thing and in a similar situation would definitely offer to do so again.

Rich

Good man.

little al
16-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Pressure on the DJ?

I've never at one point thought anything other than "aye ok pal, jog on back to your pint." when I've had the old, I'm a DJ too line.

Aye, but you are a professional. This bloke is not. If someone comes up to me when I am working saying that, I ignore too. I will reiterate, I will not step in unless asked to.

dicky
16-11-2014, 10:11 PM
I refer the honourable member to my previous statement.

Good man.

Don't know if that is a positive or negative lol but seeing as I am a commited 'glass half full' kinda person I'll say thanks for the compliment :beer1:

ukpartydj
18-11-2014, 09:05 AM
At my first ever wedding gig I had a DJ come up and try to rectify the situation.

It was a friend who asked me knowing that I loved trance and classic EDM the same as he did. His playlist was very much dance dance dance! Being my first ever wedding that's pretty much what I played.

A couple of hours in and I get some :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored:ty DJ come up and said "show me what motown you've got"... At the time I had no idea what that was and he came sighed when I said that he asked to look through my music, lined up some tracks like chain reaction and dancing Queen and stood by me for 10mins.

Quite a few people got up to dance, and I said to him I've got this now but he didn't leave for another few tracks.

Experience would have taught me the dance playlist wouldn't have worked, a few polite requests would have resolved it. I unfortunately have no respect for that DJ even if he did "save the day"

DazzyD
18-11-2014, 01:21 PM
At my first ever wedding gig I had a DJ come up and try to rectify the situation.

It was a friend who asked me knowing that I loved trance and classic EDM the same as he did. His playlist was very much dance dance dance! Being my first ever wedding that's pretty much what I played.

A couple of hours in and I get some :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored:ty DJ come up and said "show me what motown you've got"... At the time I had no idea what that was and he came sighed when I said that he asked to look through my music, lined up some tracks like chain reaction and dancing Queen and stood by me for 10mins.

Quite a few people got up to dance, and I said to him I've got this now but he didn't leave for another few tracks.

Experience would have taught me the dance playlist wouldn't have worked, a few polite requests would have resolved it. I unfortunately have no respect for that DJ even if he did "save the day"

And this is why I wouldn't go up to help out. No matter how polite I am and how friendly I put myself and my reasons across, I'd expect the DJ to resent me for it. I'm not booked to be the DJ so I've no business up there doing the DJing!

18-11-2014, 02:00 PM
And this is why I wouldn't go up to help out. No matter how polite I am and how friendly I put myself and my reasons across, I'd expect the DJ to resent me for it. I'm not booked to be the DJ so I've no business up there doing the DJing!

Indeed.

Harking back to my sisters wedding - a few "alright mate can you play this and that and then some of this?" is a lot less emasculating than me diving in and giving it; "right mate I'm a DJ too, shift over and let a real pro show you how it's done."

little al
18-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Indeed.

Harking back to my sisters wedding - a few "alright mate can you play this and that and then some of this?" is a lot less emasculating than me diving in and giving it; "right mate I'm a DJ too, shift over and let a real pro show you how it's done."

I think this is the way I will play it to be honest.

Benny Smyth
21-11-2014, 11:02 AM
I went to a friend's wedding yesterday, and the DJ wore a sleeveless t-shirt. He was probably late teens, early 20s (not that age is that important - just building a picture) and certainly didn't have a sufficient gun show to pull off a sleeveless t-shirt. I had to go undercover during the first dance and get his attention. He came over to to speak to me. I just asked standard punter stuff just to keep him to one side, as I didn't want his pasty white arms in the photography!

Nakatomi
25-11-2014, 09:01 PM
I've always thought this one is a tough call.. until my own wedding. Unfortunately we were impressed by the venue so much we didn't bother to wonder what their resident DJs were like . BAD MOVE!

We were prepared, we had our first dance song on CD (Al Green - Let's Stay Together) - which he didn't even have. I was invited to take a look at his CDs & saw just one original disc. He mumbled on the mike, veered between genres like a commercial radio playlist, ignored our requests not to play any rap or RnB.. and was generally too loud.

Then come the time to announce the buffet was open.. "MMHGH GDGDFG GFFSGFG.. BBNNBNN". I wandered back over to him & asked to borrow the mic for a sec.. started to speak & I sounded the same! Looked at the mixer.. bass all the way up, mid & top all the way down. Put everything into the middle, dropped the gain down opened the mic channel again & gently upped the gain before speaking again.. Perfecto!

Let them all drown in their own fetid mess, I say.

Sure it can stop somebody ruining a couple's big day, but if you're considering this most of the blame lies with whoever booked the schmuck. That said, all the family do's I've been to in recent years have all been crap, and all of the family complained how bad the discos were - and yet they still go on to book the same awful outfit. WHY?

Excalibur
26-11-2014, 07:45 AM
- and yet they still go on to book the same awful outfit. WHY?

Cost and line of least resistance. Next question please.

Apologies for the jaundiced and slightly fatuous answer, but it's part of the hill we're rolling these rocks up. ;)

atlanticdisco
26-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Like has been said, you turn up as a guest and before you no it someone is saying go up and help the dj out, you do a better job etc etc. I hide behind the pint and just make the most of having the night off. If anything a poor dj helps the good djs out because they sure don't get repeat bookings! Or do they?

Nakatomi
26-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Like has been said, you turn up as a guest and before you no it someone is saying go up and help the dj out, you do a better job etc etc. I hide behind the pint and just make the most of having the night off. If anything a poor dj helps the good djs out because they sure don't get repeat bookings! Or do they?

The logical thing to think is that the poor DJs will eventually go out of business, yes - but that ain't really what happens in my experience. As Excalibur so rightly pointed out earlier - it's the path of least resistance. "Yeah we know of a DJ.. they weren't very good - but they might have been having an 'off' night... ", or.. "how do we know any other outfit is going to be any better?" etc

Corabar Steve
27-11-2014, 09:37 AM
I did once tell the resident DJ in a bar I used to be assistant manager in (I'd already left by this time & was there purely in a social capacity) that his crowd would have a lot less pained expressions on their faces if he rolled the top off a tad. He did & sure enough the entire room looked more relaxed.