PDA

View Full Version : Working with another DJ

DJ Jules
09-12-2014, 07:58 AM
I work reasonably regularly in a local bar/club alongside their resident DJ. On Saturday night I worked there and the resident came in and asked me if I'm interested in doing a night in the new year where we take turns selecting tracks. Basically we'd each have a set of decks and we'd take turns playing out.

Part of me thinks this'd be fun to do and another part of me just thinks it's going to be hard work!! I'm also not sure how we'd split the money for the night!

Has anyone else ever done this before and have any experience they can share?

Julian

funkymook
09-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Could be fun if the audience know it’s a ‘double act’ with appropriate playing off of each other, banter etc, but if it's just taking turns in putting the tunes on then I don’t see what the point is....and it could only be a 50/50 split.

yourdj
09-12-2014, 10:36 AM
I do this with my roadie. it makes evenings go very quickly and also adds back up if you need to go to the loo etc.
Its great if your stumped for a track and good company.

You just have to ask yourself - do you like the bloke and do you need the money?

Maybe you could do the first half and he do the second?

DeckstarDeluxe
09-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Unless you really big it up and people actually know you then I don't really see the point. Loads of mic work and banter for sure. Might be fun though?

DJ Jules
09-12-2014, 12:05 PM
....and it could only be a 50/50 split.

Agreed.

Could be fun if the audience know it’s a ‘double act’ with appropriate playing off of each other, banter etc

Unless you really big it up and people actually know you then I don't really see the point. Loads of mic work and banter for sure. Might be fun though?

Could be interesting - the resident DJ doesn't use the Mic unless it's for last orders so the conversation might be a bit one sided :D I reckon the other DJ is suggesting it as a bit of a challenge and as a bit of a learning experience for both of us to see where the other takes things next with each track we put on. Most of the regulars know both of us so I reckon it could be a bit of a learning experience and a laugh for us and I think it has the potential to add something to the night for the crowd as well.

Thanks for the feedback - keep it coming :D

Julian

Excalibur
09-12-2014, 12:36 PM
I reckon the other DJ is suggesting it as a bit of a challenge and as a bit of a learning experience for both of us to see where the other takes things next with each track we put on.

That was my take on it. An interesting concept, marred only by the possibility that if one participant were to feel he were losing the batle, he might scupper the project with a retaliatory slipping in of The Birdie Song, or Crazy Frog! ;)

DJ Jules
09-12-2014, 12:58 PM
...marred only by the possibility that if one participant were to feel he were losing the batle, he might scupper the project with a retaliatory slipping in of The Birdie Song, or Crazy Frog! ;)

It did occur to me that if we're purely in it to try and challenge each other, we might end up with some really crazy choices!

Julian

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
09-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Sounds a bit like Zane Lowe vs which is always cool to listen to but it only really works if there's banter between you two and dare I say, you ham it up a good whack - if it's just guys playing tunes it doesn't make any real sense as you might as well do it with one.