PDA

View Full Version : Sticking out like a sore thumb!

Benny Smyth
07-01-2015, 09:56 AM
I've just had an email from a photographer, with some pictures of an 18th birthday party I worked at a few months ago. I sent him an email recently asking if I can use some in the usual quid pro quo deal. He sent me some pictures this morning with the stipulation that I can use them for promotional material, but not on the website as folk can download pics from there far too easily. Ok...not ideal but I guess I could use one or two on flyers and roller banners.

But there is one picture that made me laugh out loud. I wish I could post it on here, but I'll have to build the picture for you.

So here's the background. 18th birthday party, and the birthday boy's mom contacts me wondering how comfortable I'd be DJ'ing house. It'd be like slipping into an old pair of slippers, said I! Having spoken to her for over an hour, it was clear that the young lad's love for house music came from his mom and dad and a sizable chunk of the family. We spoke about everything house music, I got quizzed to make sure that I wasn't :BS:ing and even had a little debate about a few things. It was such a nice conversation and that was how I got the booking.

This booking was a 'rock up and play' kinda deal. They booked a venue with it's own sound system and lighting. I just had to turn up with a laptop, contoller, headphones and a mic. As a result, I decided to give the van the night off and use the car. :p

A week before the gig, I got a call from the birthday boy. He has a mate who DJ's dubstep and would I mind if he worked the first couple of hours and then I finish off the night. I explained that it would still be the same fee (short notice and all that). He and his folks were fine with that. So on the day, I rock up at 9:45 to a room of people doing their thing to dubstep (which, I maintain, is just an alien race trying to communicate with us). I plug in, and off I go for the next two hours.

So, at this party, the older generation were just as into the music as the young'uns. Probably more, which I loved. But also at this party was a lot of free flowing alcohol, energy drinks and at least one other substance - I had a quick wee and the kid's mom was in the men's taking a roll in the snow!

So back to the picture. Imagine this: various people dancing. A few holding drinks. A couple kissing just off to the side. 99.9% of the folk in the picture are smashed off their faces. And then there is the DJ, centre of the picture (albeit in the background), headphones around his neck...

...holding a mug of tea. :daft:

I feel like such a let down in that picture.:lol:

funkymook
07-01-2015, 10:17 AM
You can get away with it if it’s hardcore tea - six sugars and leave the bag in....

stormproductions
07-01-2015, 12:40 PM
But that's proper rock and roll. Nowt wrong with that at all.

I'm teetotal and yet do a number of gloriously messy 21st birthday all-nighters each year where I'm hunting out the coffee pot at 2am and the cheese table at 4.30am. The kids are always amazed if you're derigging at 7.30am when they can barely stand up.

And (admittedly 11 years ago) I flew up to Glasgow with a friend to attend a Fantazia rave as punters and around 1am the two of us were on takeaway coffees surrounded by 11998 pilled up Scots which was slightly surreal.

yourdj
07-01-2015, 02:12 PM
I've just had an email from a photographer, with some pictures of an 18th birthday party I worked at a few months ago. I sent him an email recently asking if I can use some in the usual quid pro quo deal. He sent me some pictures this morning with the stipulation that I can use them for promotional material, but not on the website as folk can download pics from there far too easily. Ok...not ideal but I guess I could use one or two on flyers and roller banners.

But there is one picture that made me laugh out loud. I wish I could post it on here, but I'll have to build the picture for you.

So here's the background. 18th birthday party, and the birthday boy's mom contacts me wondering how comfortable I'd be DJ'ing house. It'd be like slipping into an old pair of slippers, said I! Having spoken to her for over an hour, it was clear that the young lad's love for house music came from his mom and dad and a sizable chunk of the family. We spoke about everything house music, I got quizzed to make sure that I wasn't :BS:ing and even had a little debate about a few things. It was such a nice conversation and that was how I got the booking.

This booking was a 'rock up and play' kinda deal. They booked a venue with it's own sound system and lighting. I just had to turn up with a laptop, contoller, headphones and a mic. As a result, I decided to give the van the night off and use the car. :p

A week before the gig, I got a call from the birthday boy. He has a mate who DJ's dubstep and would I mind if he worked the first couple of hours and then I finish off the night. I explained that it would still be the same fee (short notice and all that). He and his folks were fine with that. So on the day, I rock up at 9:45 to a room of people doing their thing to dubstep (which, I maintain, is just an alien race trying to communicate with us). I plug in, and off I go for the next two hours.

So, at this party, the older generation were just as into the music as the young'uns. Probably more, which I loved. But also at this party was a lot of free flowing alcohol, energy drinks and at least one other substance - I had a quick wee and the kid's mom was in the men's taking a roll in the snow!

So back to the picture. Imagine this: various people dancing. A few holding drinks. A couple kissing just off to the side. 99.9% of the folk in the picture are smashed off their faces. And then there is the DJ, centre of the picture (albeit in the background), headphones around his neck...

...holding a mug of tea. :daft:

I feel like such a let down in that picture.:lol:

Lets see it then. just post a lower res one with some watermarks :)
Dout anyone would use the image with your mug in it anyway (excuse the pun)

Benny Smyth
08-01-2015, 09:23 AM
Lets see it then. just post a lower res one with some watermarks :)
Dout anyone would use the image with your mug in it anyway (excuse the pun)

No can do, I'm afraid. I made a promise. :)

DeckstarDeluxe
08-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Guess it explains why they wanted dubstep then...