PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to set my lights up like this?

DJay
06-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Folks,

I have the following items:

2 x Acme Dynamo twins
1 x prolight Truss
1 x Zoom star cloth

Is it ok to set the kit up like this:
http://jay.fireflyinternet.co.uk/lights.jpg

Or could it be like this:
http://jay.fireflyinternet.co.uk/light.jpg

Incidently, for anything contemplating such a set up, the Zoom starcloth is circa 10cm short in width for this stand :(

Ricesnaps
06-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Folks,

I have the following items:

2 x Acme Dynamo twins
1 x prolight Truss
1 x Zoom star cloth

Is it ok to set the kit up like this:
http://jay.fireflyinternet.co.uk/lights.jpg

Or could it be like this:
http://jay.fireflyinternet.co.uk/light.jpg

Incidently, for anything contemplating such a set up, the Zoom starcloth is circa 10cm short in width for this stand :(

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
It's actually fine to set your lights up in any way you want, but as suggested on other threads, try to "pair" them up so they are symetrical on the bar!

Shouldn't be hard if you only have two scans!

By the way, the first link isn't working!

DJay
06-11-2006, 06:44 PM
I think it was more a safety question.

By the way, link works now!

Ricesnaps
06-11-2006, 07:49 PM
I think it was more a safety question.

By the way, link works now!
OK, no offence intended, but you aren't actually being serious about that first set up?

Have you actually got the goalpost yet or is it on it's way? If you have it, I would hope it is very obvious that the first way of setting up is a very very bad idea - even with the single dynamo's, I would be wary of putting them there, but the twins!!!!

Do you have any more lighting to go with them or any plans to get some, not certain that just a pair of Dynatwins will be enough or fill a room very well.

Also, IMHO, I wouldn't use a star cloth like that - generally us disco's get to set up in the oddest places - I generally feel that a star cloth as a back drop looks very odd and out of place - pop it in front of your decks instead.

DJay
06-11-2006, 08:41 PM
I have indeed purchased the cloth, stand and lights already. The lights will expand at some point, but not just yet. I have recently invested £3k in all my kit and have nom more cash for a few months.

So any idea on the best way for me to set up what I have? It is very common to use the star cloth at Indian functions. I think it looks more professional than a scatty background with paintings and marks all over the walls!

Ricesnaps
06-11-2006, 08:56 PM
I have indeed purchased the cloth, stand and lights already. The lights will expand at some point, but not just yet. I have recently invested £3k in all my kit and have nom more cash for a few months.

So any idea on the best way for me to set up what I have? It is very common to use the star cloth at Indian functions. I think it looks more professional than a scatty background with paintings and marks all over the walls!
Just my opinion I'm afraid, nothing wrong with a star cloth, but to wack up a rectangular bit behind you looks just a little out of place for my liking - and noone will usually see much of what's behind anyway - trust me, it's actually very dark back there!

I do apreciate that you have spent a lot of cash and I gather the sound gear has taken up quite a bit of the funds. I'm afraid I think you have put the money to bad use (in my opinion). I don't see why you felt the need to bi-amp at this early stage, when you have nowhere near the right lighting for the size gig your sound gear can cope with. Setting up your lighting is really easy and personal preference, but to be honest, what you spent on the dynatwins and star cloth could have bought you a much more useful selection of effects that would have matched the capacity of your sound gear (which actually so far sounds very nice to me).

The best advice, possibly a little too late for you now, is to build the kit up as you grow and get more work to fund it.

DJay
06-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I guess I'll add a couple of smaller lights/effects at some point soon. At the moment I'm just concerned about how to set this kit up.

Where you saying that the Dynatwin would be unsafe where it is in my diagram?

Ricesnaps
06-11-2006, 09:59 PM
I guess I'll add a couple of smaller lights/effects at some point soon. At the moment I'm just concerned about how to set this kit up.

Where you saying that the Dynatwin would be unsafe where it is in my diagram?
Come on, seriously, do you need to ask? I've owned a set up like this and YES YES YES :bang: :bang: UNSAFE!!!!!

However, why on earth would you WANT to set them up like that????

Have you actually giged any of this yet?

I have a feeling you are going to be very very dissapointed when you do

DJay
07-11-2006, 06:28 AM
I have a feeling I'm hitting a brick wall here!

Can anyone actually offer me some advice please?

Corabar Steve
07-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Come on, seriously, do you need to ask? I've owned a set up like this and YES YES YES :bang: :bang: UNSAFE!!!!!

However, why on earth would you WANT to set them up like that????

Have you actually giged any of this yet?

I have a feeling you are going to be very very dissapointed when you do

Calm down Matt! There is no right or wrong way to set up lighting equipment. If Jay wants to set his ligts up like that then fine. Admitidly I would have something on the other end of each pole on the T bars to counter-balance the dynatwins, but as long as everything is securely tightened why should it be dangerous???

I think your reply is a little insulting & quite franky bordering on plain rude, especally the excessive use of the :bang: smilie. The man has asked for advice & has (as far as I can see) only recieved criticism from you. Not once did you tell him why not!

As far as I can see it is all down to personal choice.

Maybe if the dynatwins were on the goalpost crossbar & the starcloth was somehow hung below them, then it would make it so much safer in your opinion?

Agreed 2 lighting effects is a little limited, but we all had to start somewhere or had you forgotten this??

Jay I would say, as soon as you can, get at least 2 more effects to counter-balance the dynatwins on the T bars. Also if you are thinking of using this set up regularly, maybe consider one more T bar with 2 more lights to go in a central position behind the starcloth (popping up over the top of it) That way you have 3 pairs of lights set up symetricly plus your starcloth backdrop.

If used with a starcloth booth I would say this would look a very professional set up indeed. The starcloth would define the "DJ area" quite nicely. (I don't use them BTW, so I'm not biased towards or against them)

Paul James Promotions
07-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Jay I would say, as soon as you can, get at least 2 more effects to counter-balance the dynatwins on the T bars.

Agreed :D

Ricesnaps
07-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Calm down Matt! There is no right or wrong way to set up lighting equipment. If Jay wants to set his ligts up like that then fine. Admitidly I would have something on the other end of each pole on the T bars to counter-balance the dynatwins, but as long as everything is securely tightened why should it be dangerous???

I think your reply is a little insulting & quite franky bordering on plain rude, especally the excessive use of the :bang: smilie. The man has asked for advice & has (as far as I can see) only recieved criticism from you. Not once did you tell him why not!

As far as I can see it is all down to personal choice.

Steve,

My apologies if I have come accross as rude and insulting, when in actual fact I was feeling more than a little frustrated with the gentleman who is asking the question. Why? Well, maybe I recognise myself in his posts over the last few weeks with the set up of his show. I have (self confessed) been very guilty of asking for answers to questions that I wanted to hear and completely ignoring the realistic genuine sensible answers I actually got.

While we are all here to help each other, it does at times feel like hitting your head against a brick wall, hense the use of the smily - maybe a little excessive agreed. From what I see, Jay went ahead and bought a set of dynatwins, regardless, when many of us gave clear sensible advice that this was not a great choice of lighting for a first purchase. I seem to remember advice regarding the quality of star cloths and the amp situation does seem rather silly (but many of my posts and frustration have, rightly, been clearly highlighted as my own honest opinion). We all have a wealth of experience and different views on things and the star cloth backdrop was mine - I have always and will continue to hold the feeling that a small rectangular backdrop looks a little rediculous - I think I even suggested earlier in this post that I actually felt it would look much better with nothing at the back and the cloth used as a deck cover (which I personally think looks absolutely fantastic - but I would as it's sort of what I use).

Then there's the question about how to set up the lights. I have in a previous existance owned a goalpost identical to the one that Jap is showing here. There is absolutely no question about my answer here. Hanging the lights where shown at the begining of this thread is unsafe - these stands are not the most robust at the best of times, but to hand just two dynatwins where they are is a very silly idea and I would expect the stand to be very unsecure and a worry should anyone knock into it.

Personally, I would always opt for mounting effects on the crossbar in the first instance and only using the added T-bars where absolutely needed - after all a scan is very animated and will throw it's beam over most of a room regardless of where they are.

But to re-cap, I had thought I was simply offering my own opinion and voicing my frustration at what seemed to be someone who was not listening. I have wasted no end of money and time by buying things that were completely not what was recomended - seeing someone else doing is is just very frustrating. Maybe you have to learn from your own mistakes, but I do wonder why ask if you don't want to hear the answer.

Steve, if I have offended you, please accept my apology. Jay, I actually had no intention of doing so to you either, I simply wanted to give you the right answers. at the end of the day it is entirely up to you whether you listen or not.

Good luck:beer1:

Corabar Steve
07-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Matt, you did not offend me, your post wasn't directed at me. You can see, however that you did appear to be going off the deep end a bit, hence my comments.

Ricesnaps
07-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Matt, you did not offend me, your post wasn't directed at me. You can see, however that you did appear to be going off the deep end a bit, hence my comments.
It's called frustration - have a look at my latest thread and maybe that will offer some advice to people looking for help?

Hey maybe I could write a manual! :zip:

DJay
07-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Yes, you offered "advice". So far I have purchased nearly every item reccomended to me. However I have a party to throw soon and the dynascan kit with 4 single heads is out of stock (locally) for a while.

Anyway, I just wanted to know how best I could set up what I already have. I appreciate you have a better way of doing things, but I am only starting out and will make mistakes along the way. Everyone makes mistakes and maybe this is one of mines.

I take your point Steve with regards to the weight, maybe it's a bit much with the 'T' bar. I think my concerns are very professional (ensuring I do not put any of the guests or my helper at any risk). I will try and put the lights above the starcloth and see how it looks. I would also appreciate any ideas on a way to combat the weight on the T'bar is the Dynascan stays as is on my diagram.

Ricesnaps - no offence taken :) I am enjoying getting this kit together and have, as always, appreciated the help from you and others and will continue to do so! Thank you for your advice on this post.

Ricesnaps
07-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Ricesnaps - no offence taken :) I am enjoying getting this kit together and have, as always, appreciated the help from you and others and will continue to do so! Thank you for your advice on this post.
Glad to help - out of interest then, seeing as I'm being shot down in flames elsewhere! :D Whay did you decide to go for a set of scans as your first lighting effects rather than something with a little more "fill". If I remember rightly, when I set up again about 4 years ago, I went for a set of magic moons or whatever they are called and the scans came later. Honestly I am interested!

Anyway, the matter in hand - please forgive my crap drawing (never guess I pass A level design technology would you!). Hope it makes sense. The bit at the bottom is meant to show the scan hooked onto the top bar and then allowed to "rest" on the bottom one. That's how I used my one with my Leo's when I had it and it worked well, but I am not certain what the mounting is like on the dynatwins.

spin mobile disco
07-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Dont the dynatwins use 10mm mounting hole? I can see what you mean though should work well if it has G clamp fitting. Should keep nice and clear from starcloth as well.

DJay
07-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Hi,

I bought a magazine (think it was called DJ pro or something). That was a starting block. It had a seperate awards brochure in which one of the budget lights was the Dynascan kit. They scored OK. Then I done some hunting online and read a few articles where the dynascan lights won best budget lights. Backed up by some suggestions on this forum that the Dynascan kit is a good place to start, I opted for the dynatwins becase even Prolight say they are short on stock of the Dynascan.

The diagram is much appreciated! It looks a little like this: http://jay.fireflyinternet.co.uk/light.jpg

I will hook the stand and lights up today and will let you know how it looks.

So this is better?

http://jay.fireflyinternet.co.uk/lights2.jpg

Corabar Steve
07-11-2006, 06:16 PM
I would say so.

spin mobile disco
07-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Yeah I agree looks better, and safer not so unbalanced.

djgordyp
07-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi Jay

I have to say I never had the oppertunity to use the lights you have or indeed anything other than lightboxes, but your revised diagram does look so much better not only visually but from a weight distribution point of view. I am also in favour of the symmetrical approach. I can see where you're coming from in the purchase of these lights ie maximum bang for your buck and only when you've done your first gig will you know how well they they work. I have seen the video demonstration of these and was quite impressed and may consider purchasing these when I can get around to buying my own gear.

As for making mistakes. I wouldn't worry about trying to be perfect on your first couple of outings. If your customer knows you're just starting out then I think you'll find them very forgiving. Even after twenty years in the business, I still made the odd mistake like pressing the wrong button on the cd player or even (once or twice) hitting the RCD on the main power lead, knocking the power to the whole system off.

DJay
07-11-2006, 08:23 PM
I got 4 of these with my Prolight Truss stand: http://www.decks.co.uk/products/lighting/stands_truss/clam01

I am sure the fit between the Dynatwin and the goalpost and am being real thick, but I cannot work out how...

DJay
07-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Have I installed this clamp and light correctly?

http://jay.fireflyinternet.co.uk/Lightclamp1.jpg
http://jay.fireflyinternet.co.uk/Lightclamp2.jpg

Ricesnaps
07-11-2006, 09:11 PM
I got 4 of these with my Prolight Truss stand: http://www.decks.co.uk/products/lighting/stands_truss/clam01

I am sure the fit between the Dynatwin and the goalpost and am being real thick, but I cannot work out how...
Rightyho then.

Not as difficult as it sounds. Unfortunately I can't find a picture of the rear of the dynatwins, but surely they are very similar to the dynascans?

Look on the back, there is a bracket. The bracket will have a hole in the middle. Attach the hook clamp to that.

Just spotted your new post - nearly right!

No need to bolt through the hole on the stand, just hook on the bar - just as you have, and tighten the "screw" ti the bar to hold it tight

Ricesnaps
07-11-2006, 09:12 PM
only other comment - I would attach to the top of the light bracket, not the underside

Ricesnaps
07-11-2006, 09:19 PM
bad drawing again, but hope it helps

DJay
08-11-2006, 08:50 PM
According to this diagram, I will not actually be threading andy of the bolts through the hole (from top to bottom) on the truss bar. Is that correct?

Danno13
08-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Yes. You only connect the clamp to the light with a bolt.

To put it on the stand you just hook it over and tighten the thumbscrew to hold it in place. I'll try and grab a picture from my setup...

DJay
08-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Danno,

You beat me to it by seconds!! I read your post and tried to change the clamp myself! As you can see, it has marked the truss bar and is not looking particularly stable!

Danno13
08-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Hmm.. you need 35mm clamps really. Not the 50mm ones that they've given you.

And usually you put the bolt through the bottom hole, although could be different with mounting scanners.

CRAZY K
08-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Erm excuse me guys but im only an umble Barn Dance Caller who sometimes does a bit of disco at the same time---however I do use 2 Dynatwins.

The helpful pictures are unfortunately not helping---the Dynatwins have a particularly awkward bracket which because of their shape makes it more difficult to swing from a T Bar or Goal Post than the average effect.

They also weigh a bob or two as well.

Jay--the method in post 29 isnt going to hold a Dynatwin--I tried!

Its weight will swing it into a position it likes--not one that you try to clamp it to!

Give a Dynatwin user a ring sometime (me) and I will do my best to help--
best bet is the square bar as shown in post 28, but it will not hang it will be more upright.

Also re the starcloth-- I worked with a Disco who used this arrangement ( note this Rice ) very effective EXCEPT they put the starcloth on the top of the light truss--somehow fitted projectors and effects to swing below the top of truss-but not touching the starcloth---THEN winched the whole lot up---magic!

Mind you the DJ owned a Disco shop in Stevenage!

CRAZY K

Thames Valley Discos
08-11-2006, 09:45 PM
get some of these clamps Order Code: UMGC3290
from here http://www.ultimate1.co.uk/stand_accessories.htm
like in post 28
the dynatwin hangs fine from riggin, and has thumb screws either side to position the light

DJay
08-11-2006, 09:50 PM
This is a joke.... I've just written to Prolight with pitcures of my stand, lights and the clamps supplied! If the case is that the kit is not compatable, I will be requesting a refund!

Thames Valley Discos
08-11-2006, 09:55 PM
try yours the way post 26 and 28 show you.

CRAZY K
08-11-2006, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=Thames Valley Discos;74480]get some of these clamps Order Code: UMGC3290

Yup thats what I use for the Dynatwins

CRAZY K

Corabar Steve
08-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Jay--the method in post 29 isnt going to hold a Dynatwin--I tried!

Its weight will swing it into a position it likes--not one that you try to clamp it to!

Alan,
How will it swing anywhere? Jay is using ladder truss. If he clamps the Dynatwin to the top bar, surely it will rest on the bottom one?

DJay
09-11-2006, 01:12 AM
I have tried it how posts 26 and 28 show (in post 29!). But the nut the should go undet the round pole/bar stops after a few turns because the round pole/bar is in the way.

Danno13
09-11-2006, 01:57 AM
Jay... i don't think you get the concept of a g-clamp. That screw is just supposed to tighten up against the bar.. not go all the way under it!

In any case, you need smaller clamps, those ones you have are designed to fit proper trilite which is 50mm in diameter rather than the 35mm the prolight and equivelant stands use.

DJay
09-11-2006, 02:25 AM
Ahah! I will be onto Decks.co.uk first thing in the morning! This is the first time I have set up such a stand with lights! Worrying thing is that I went on their site, searched for 'clam' and it does not return any that are 35mm.

Danno13
09-11-2006, 02:58 AM
Here you go -

http://www.eggandbeans.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=49377&strPageHistory=cat

You want the 32 - 38 mm ones. There are two types, 90mm and 170mm drop.. which is the distance from where it clamps to the lighting bar, to where you attach to the bracket of your light.

Ricesnaps
09-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Alan,
How will it swing anywhere? Jay is using ladder truss. If he clamps the Dynatwin to the top bar, surely it will rest on the bottom one?
I'm with you steve - that was always the way I did it (although Alan is a Dynatwin user, so there may be things we don't know about this unit). Interestingly it works in exactly the same way with the tri-truss I now have hooking the light onto the top bar and resting on the front bottom.

By the way Jay, the tightening screw on a hook clamp will always mark your stand (particularly the cheaper type like you and I have). My truss is scratched and marked all over, but nobody can see that when in use. I have heard some people take a perminant marker out with them to touch up anything like that on the night - but not my idea of a good time!

CRAZY K
09-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Alan,

Alan,

Steve, I have never used a ladder truss sorry I cant comment on that--I may be confusing the issue.

I use either round T bar or square goal post frame for lighting.

I just tried it out again with my dynatwins and remembered the problem again.

With the square goalposts you use the standard clamp and can--- if you wish to place the unit in a totally upright position.

Using the type of clamp I bought for round T bars which is different to the one shown in 28 I cant achieve a totally upright position for the unit( if I wished to) it always points downwards.

So I always use the square goalposts to hang the unit--and for other reasons including the fact that as Rice says the ideal way for the lights to be pointed would be straight down on the dance floor-- agreed you could buy a T bar with a square bar and solve the problem, but we are dealing here with a truss that is round ( I think! ) according to the photo.

Il get my coat:D after I have packed away the kit!

CRAZY K

DJay
09-11-2006, 12:43 PM
OK, here's the deal.

I just spoke with Andrew at Prolight. He said:

"you don't need a clam with the Prolight truss and the Dynatwins. Just use the supplied bolt and bolt the dynatwin directly to the truss stand. That's how we have it here. If you're still struggling, come back to me and we'll see what we can do".

Danno13
09-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Well i wouldn't have thought that would work with the top bar, because of the angle the bracket would be at. You could hang i from the bottom bar of the ladder using that method but then it would be pushing into the star cloth.

Clamps aren't essential, but they do make setting up much quicker.

DJay
09-11-2006, 02:40 PM
OK, so now I have an idea!

If I look at my Prolight Truss stand head on, it have two 'T' bars, one at each end. So the T looks horizontal as I look at it.. Just like this T !

If I take the top of that T and rotate it 45 degrees, I will be looking at it so the pole comes out towards me and goes behind the stand. Now I take the bit sticking out towards me, push it back so most of it dissapears at the back of the stand. Maybe if I do that with both of the T poles, I can hang the cloth at the back (that would be some 15" behind the Dynatwins....

Let me try and I'll grab a picture...

Ricesnaps
09-11-2006, 03:38 PM
OK, so now I have an idea!

If I look at my Prolight Truss stand head on, it have two 'T' bars, one at each end. So the T looks horizontal as I look at it.. Just like this T !

If I take the top of that T and rotate it 45 degrees, I will be looking at it so the pole comes out towards me and goes behind the stand. Now I take the bit sticking out towards me, push it back so most of it dissapears at the back of the stand. Maybe if I do that with both of the T poles, I can hang the cloth at the back (that would be some 15" behind the Dynatwins....

Let me try and I'll grab a picture...
Be careful that in doing so you don't make the weight distribution cause problems - you may find that the stand will topple backwards with the weight.

DJay
09-11-2006, 03:42 PM
OK so I used the nut and bolt supplied and fitted the light to the bottom pole. To be honest, I feel the clam stronger!

Here is how I fitted the light directly to the pole (think I done it right) and the idea (which needs a lot of tweeking with the cloth:

CRAZY K
09-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Jay, are you going to be able to have the twins in the upright position---if you needed to?

Maybe unlikely but thats the problem I had--at the moment they will be pointing down and unable to be totally upright---not necessarily a problem-unless you have a very low ceiling----e.g. marquees.

As long as you can winch up to about 8 feet should be ok.--has this truss got a winch though?

If not your in trouble because I think it would be difficult to stand on a chair or speaker cabinet 8 feet in the air and bolt the dynatwin to the truss without some sort of support clamp--the twins weigh a fair bit.

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-11-2006, 04:40 PM
the twins weigh a fair bit.

CRAZY K

Have you ever used any other lights Alan??:p

The Dynatwins are 6Kg and very light compared to most other equivalent effects.

I just bought a pair of these http://www.decks.co.uk/products/lighting/acme/ir5_b, just for over xmas for a Hotel that needs the gear to stay there and they are monsters! (12+KG)

Repeat after me:

I must eat 3 Weetabix in the morning:D

Corabar Steve
09-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Jay,

If you do the same as you have done (or use a 35 mm clamp), but on the top rail the Dynatwin will be more upright.

Matt,

I doubt if the weight of a Zoom starcloth on the back will topple the stand with 2 Dynatwins on the front.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Jay,

If you do the sae as you have done, but on the top rail the ynatwin will be upright.

Or, you could some long clamps and hang from the top - that's what I used to do when I had the Dynatwins, although that was on a double bar.

Corabar Steve
09-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Or, you could some long clamps and hang from the top - that's what I used to do when I had the Dynatwins, although that was on a double bar.

See edit.

DJay
09-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Steve, I think it is possible to do the same as post 47 and still maintain a completly up-right position for the light. I assume that is the best way to use them so the mirror can cover the dance area to maximum capacity?

I'll give this a go on the top bar. If that works fine, I think I'll get some of these satfety wires (which were reccomened in this thread): http://www.decks.co.uk/products/lighting/stands_truss/clam03

Watch out for th next image....

I'm sorry for being a pain in the butt guys. I'm not scared to ask for help, nor am I scared to try and do things the right/safe way. Once again all your help has been much appreciated....

DJay
09-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Response from Prolight regarding the fact that Decks have not shipped me the correct clams:

"Hi Jay,

Now I understand your problem.

We do not do a clamp that will help with how you want to hang the
Dynascan.

Which clamp have the people on the DJ forum suggested?"

I have already sent him the link to the clams reccomended in this thread :)

Corabar Steve
09-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Jay,

ClamP :D :D :D

Dragonfly
09-11-2006, 05:27 PM
:D what??? he needs a p is that steve?:D

DJay
09-11-2006, 09:08 PM
OK. I think I may be there. Is this how the light/bracket should fit?

For some reason, no matter how tight I make all fittings, the light still wants to rock forward just a tad.

CRAZY K
09-11-2006, 09:59 PM
JAY SAID-- For some reason, no matter how tight I make all fittings, the light still wants to rock forward just a tad.

Jay the only way to stop this is to use a spanner and tighten the two nuts rather than the clamps which normally you do by twisting the two knobs.

You will understand what I mean.

The problem is caused by the fact that the twins are so heavy that screwing the knobs by hand is not sufficient--you need to use a spanner

Hope this helps

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-11-2006, 10:17 PM
JAY SAID-- For some reason, no matter how tight I make all fittings, the light still wants to rock forward just a tad.

Jay the only way to stop this is to use a spanner and tighten the two nuts rather than the clamps which normally you do by twisting the two knobs.

You will understand what I mean.

The problem is caused by the fact that the twins are so heavy that screwing the knobs by hand is not sufficient--you need to use a spanner

Hope this helps

CRAZY K

I hate to disagree again Alan, but at 6kg they are not heavy and shouldn't need tightening with a spanner - I never had a problem.:)

Ricesnaps
09-11-2006, 10:27 PM
I think, in alans defence, all effects to a certain extent have a natural position they revert to when hung. I have a pair of Lynx and whatever I do, the still want to slip forward slightly.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I think, in alans defence, all effects to a certain extent have a natural position they revert to when hung. I have a pair of Lynx and whatever I do, the still want to slip forward slightly.

I wasn't attacking him Rice!:p

True what you say, but I never had the problem with the Dynatwins.

DJay
10-11-2006, 07:00 AM
SO folks, I have three questions to conclude this threat!!

1. Of all the posts in this threat and the photo's included, which has been the best/safest method to hang these lights?

2. Can I still use the starcloth on my stand with your answer two question 1? I have it set-up in Post 47. Maybe I could use curtain type rod to keep it nice and flat/staright?

3. Can you reccomend a light for circa £50 that I can buy to put in the middle of my goalpost to compliment the Dynatwins either side?

Bear in mind with the above - I have been on a budget throughout my set-up (and taken some flack along the way!). But I can only afford what my wallet allows and am trying my best with what I have. I will be able to invest more money in the next step up once the cash starts rolling....

groovy-nights
10-11-2006, 08:29 AM
http://www.decks.co.uk/products/lighting/prolight/terminator

CRAZY K
10-11-2006, 09:04 AM
I hate to disagree again Alan, but at 6kg they are not heavy and shouldn't need tightening with a spanner - I never had a problem.:)

Darren--I have to use a spanner--they wont hold on hand tightening--maybe its the washers or something --maybe they were defective when I bought them and I should take em back to the dealer?

Ah well--ive learnt something out of this :D

Another bonus for being here:)

CRAZY K

CRAZY K
10-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Steve, I think it is possible to do the same as post 47 and still maintain a completly up-right position for the light. I assume that is the best way to use them so the mirror can cover the dance area to maximum capacity?

I'll give this a go on the top bar. If that works fine, I think I'll get some of these satfety wires (which were reccomened in this thread): http://www.decks.co.uk/products/lighting/stands_truss/clam03

Watch out for th next image....

I'm sorry for being a pain in the butt guys. I'm not scared to ask for help, nor am I scared to try and do things the right/safe way. Once again all your help has been much appreciated....

Jay just to mention this on scanners--I dont do a lot of " Discos" just Weddings but there has been quite a lot of DJs saying that they get complaints from customers about being blinded by lights all night.

Im not an expert but I dont think you would want to have these twins in peoples faces all night---you need other lights to compliment them--im sure Darren, Rice and Mr Bright Lights( Dragonfly ) amongst others can give you feedback.

CRAZY K

DJay
10-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Crazy K - In that case it may be good that the light is slightly tilted - get's it out of the moaners eyes!

Groovy Nights - Is the Terminator light also know as a Mushroom?

groovy-nights
10-11-2006, 12:06 PM
yes i belive so.But you many be better off waiting and saving up abit more and getting a duet these go for around £99 on ebay.
http://www.decks.co.uk/products/lighting/acme/duet

CRAZY K
10-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Crazy K - In that case it may be good that the light is slightly tilted - get's it out of the moaners eyes!

Groovy Nights - Is the Terminator light also know as a Mushroom?

Yes I tilt mine most of the time--you can also use a setting on the controller that tilts the mirrors downwards.

OK and DONT FORGET THE MOANERS they might be potential paying customers with money to spend with you--dont drive them to the Disco down the road :eek:

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
10-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Used to use on of these as a centerpiece - better looking effect than the mushroom in my opinion, but always a matter of taste - no gobo's, but a massive room filler!

http://www.piedog.com/musical_instruments/pro_music_live/stage_lighting_effects/dj_lights/skytec-double_derby.htm

As with the Dynamo's, this will really really benefit from a smoke or haze machine - check out ebay for a 2nd hand one if money is tight (the smoke machine, but you might find a 2nd hand double derby too)

Dragonfly
10-11-2006, 04:11 PM
http://www.bksound.co.uk/product.asp?numPageStartPosition=1&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=&PT_ID=82&P_ID=377&btnProduct=More+Details

huge room filler and comes with free case and spare prism if my memory serves me correct.

more than you wanted to pay but worth it for the coverage.
or the acme sky ray you get good coverage with.

Jiggles
10-11-2006, 04:16 PM
http://www.bksound.co.uk/product.asp?numPageStartPosition=1&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=&PT_ID=82&P_ID=377&btnProduct=More+Details

huge room filler and comes with free case and spare prism if my memory serves me correct.

more than you wanted to pay but worth it for the coverage.
or the acme sky ray you get good coverage with.

Tell me how it works:D This error in a disco

i think all it will fill the room full of cursing and swearing :D:D:D:D:D:D

Dragonfly
10-11-2006, 04:19 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Corabar Steve
10-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Link no workee

Dragonfly
10-11-2006, 04:29 PM
oh right my apologies it works when i click it .... its a spektronic broken swing if anyone wants to do a search. source did the revolution which was the same thing.

DJay
10-11-2006, 05:02 PM
The link is using a cookie on the mahcine by which it was created.

Anyone can open the link - if you right click and choose open :)

Corabar Steve
10-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Nah

An error occurred executing the following query;

SELECT PT_Live, PT_Name1, P_StrapLine1, P_Live, P_Name1, P_SpecTable1, P_Desc1, P_HyperLink1, P_OrderVersionsBy, P_VersionDisplayType FROM (((tblCactuShopVersions INNER JOIN tblCactuShopTaxRates ON tblCactuShopVersions.V_Tax = tblCactuShopTaxRates.T_ID) INNER JOIN tblCactuShopProducts ON tblCactuShopVersions.V_Product = tblCactuShopProducts.P_ID) INNER JOIN tblCactuShopProductProdTypeLink ON tblCactuShopProducts.P_ID = tblCactuShopProductProdTypeLink.PPT_ProductID) INNER JOIN tblCactuShopProdtype ON tblCactuShopProductProdTypeLink.PPT_ProdTypeID = tblCactuShopProdtype.PT_ID WHERE P_ID= AND V_Live='y' AND P_Live='y' AND PT_Live='y'

Error Description :

Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'AND'.

Page of error :

/product.asp

Query String :

cookiecheck=yes&
:(

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-11-2006, 05:23 PM
It worked for me the second time I clicked the link.

How strange.

Corabar Steve
10-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Third time lucky

DJay
10-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Worked for me! Anyways, that light is 4 times my budget! Having said that, the Acme Duet looks good (although twice my budget) and so does the mushroom (although a tad plastic).

Incidently, no one ever mentions KAM lights. Are they anygood?

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Worked for me! Anyways, that light is 4 times my budget! Having said that, the Acme Duet looks good (although twice my budget) and so does the mushroom (although a tad plastic).

Incidently, no one ever mentions KAM lights. Are they anygood?

Probably becuase they are fairly new to the market and not tried and tested.

Vibrant Sounds
10-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Used to use on of these as a centerpiece - better looking effect than the mushroom in my opinion, but always a matter of taste - no gobo's, but a massive room filler!

http://www.piedog.com/musical_instruments/pro_music_live/stage_lighting_effects/dj_lights/skytec-double_derby.htm

As with the Dynamo's, this will really really benefit from a smoke or haze machine - check out ebay for a 2nd hand one if money is tight (the smoke machine, but you might find a 2nd hand double derby too)

Got a Double Derby for sale near mint, never gigged £25 plus shipping.

DJay
10-11-2006, 10:24 PM
How about these?

http://www.djkit.co.uk/acatalog/Geni_TMax_.html

http://www.djkit.co.uk/acatalog/Acme_Patriot_Scanner.html

DJay
10-11-2006, 10:25 PM
How much for the double derby with postage to London?

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Got a Double Derby for sale near mint, never gigged £25 plus shipping.

I used these years ago, and for what they are, they are a very good effect.

Vibrant Sounds
11-11-2006, 10:46 AM
How much for the double derby with postage to London?

£35. I can't find shipping for less than £10 including vat.

DJay
11-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Folks,

what is the cheapest way for me to hang my starcloth behind my Truss stand?

Also, once the Double Derby is mounted on a truss stand, can it be controlled or just switched on/off from the unit itself?

DJay
11-11-2006, 06:42 PM
1. once the Double Derby is mounted on a truss stand, can it be controlled or just switched on/off from the unit itself?

2. I am trying to make best with the kit I have. I have used all the pieces supplied with the truss stand and came up with this after a brainstorm! Will it be ok for me to hang the Dynatwin on the silver bracket and my starcloth on the lower part of the goal post? If so, this is the ideal conclusion!

DJay
12-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Folks,

any comments on my last post?

Corabar Entertainment
12-11-2006, 04:29 PM
I'd think that would be pretty stable :D

Corabar Steve
12-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Only to get clamPs (:D) that fit the bar.

So do you intend just having lights on the T bars at either end?

DJay
12-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Yes steve, 1 light at each end, the starcloth on the bottom post and I will purchase 1 light for circa £50 to go on the middle of the stand. Having said that, the small piece holding the right part of the T bar in my picture came with the stand, I have no idea what it was for! So I have to try and get another piece and the plastic bits to hold the other T bar in place.

If it looks stable, I'm a happy bunny! But you think I need to change the G clamp? Although it marked the stand, it took a while for me to unscrew it because it was on VERY tight!

Corabar Steve
12-11-2006, 04:39 PM
It's too big, I'm not sure I'd trust it

Do you only have it like that at one end at the moment then?

DJay
12-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Yes I only have it set up like that at 1 end. If it is a good set up then I'd need to order a 10" or so pole for the other end.

What do you reckon? Ditch the idea or keep this fantastic idea and just get better clamps? Off course, I could alsways do what Prolight reccomend and just bolt the light directly to the T bar?

DJay
12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
any other takers for this topic? It's kinda 98% resolved!

iany
13-11-2006, 11:07 AM
As I've said on another forum, don't bother with clamps.
Bolt them directly to the truss and add a safety wire as well.
The twins swing out of position because most of their weight is at the bottom, the screws on the bracket do have to be done up very tight, and this can be a bit of an effort.

The Acme Duet is a good light.

DJay
13-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Yes but will it be safe as per picture in post 87?

iany
13-11-2006, 02:33 PM
If it was me, I wouldn't bother with the little additions like the ones on post 87.
Bolt them to the main overhead truss.
As for a starcloth as well, put it lower down so you won't have any problems with it coming into contact with the light and heat source.

DJay
13-11-2006, 04:46 PM
When I explained what I was trying to achieve (Starcloth and Dynatwins on a Truss) this is what Prolight said about my photo's in post 87:

"Never before have I seen such a construction made from these parts.
What you have done is perfect, and a touch of genius."

iany
14-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Go for it then Jay - everyone's got different ideas of what looks good don't they?
What works for one may not work for another.

DJay
16-11-2006, 08:02 PM
I am so d4rn happy this worked! Shame my ceiling is not high enough as the pictures would have been much better. I think it looks safe and completly forefils my idea :)

Just waiting for some spares from ProLight so I can do the same with the other side. At the moment the lights are all over the ceiling and opposite wall. Is there a dip-switch to make the light fall downwards as this set-up makes it tricky for me to tilt the light forward?

DJay
18-11-2006, 03:34 AM
At the moment the light beams/patterns are all over the ceiling and opposite wall. Is there a dip-switch to make the light fall downwards as this set-up makes it tricky for me to tilt the light forward?

iany
18-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Is there a dip switch to make them point downwards?

No.

The CA-8 controller will run them in the standard 6 pattern routine.
The only way you can have total control of the mirror angles is to get a DMX desk and programme the twins into it.

Ian.

spin mobile disco
18-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Some mirrors are adjustable not sure about this light but on my wild blaze i used to have you could adjust the mirror with an allen key to the angle that suited you.