PDA

View Full Version : Better and more specific advice?

Ricesnaps
07-11-2006, 12:15 PM
The last few weeks and of course todays posts have got me thinking.

Can I make a bold, but qualified suggestion....

I have a feeling that when we request advice from people on the forum, it would help make that advice much better and simpler if we all considered what we were asking a little better and filled in some of the gaps and background. I for one have been both on the recieving end and the giver of frustration. Hopefully that qualifies me to offer this suggestion.

1. How many times do we see posts where the first few replies are "so how much have you got to spend" or "what size is you amp" or even "what other lights have you got". When posting questions, it might be helpful to outline what you want to spend or offer up some supporting information to help get the right answers

2. Pie in the sky or a buy it now? I for one have a habbit of thinking out loud, but with little intention of doing anything about the advice there and then. It might help to include something along these lines when posting for advice. Is this something you want to buy or do right now, or is this something that is just in the back of your mind and you are thinking about? Can I sight Crazy's post on the Mackie thread where he clearly suggests that he might be thinking of buying some in a year or so. So we all know this is just an early stage thought process.

3. What do I want to achieve? This is my best area to comment on. The only person who actually knows what they want to achieve or why they are asking about things is the person who asks the question. so maybe it would help to offer us some background. I remember posting a question some months ago about replacing my Leo's and Scimitars. Maybe what i should have said that I didn't actually have much spare cash at that point, that the replacement would in part be based on funds from the sale of these effects and that if I was to replace straight away, then there wouldn't be much more than £100 or so to add on to the money from the sale. In fact if I had been completely honest, what i really wanted to do was replace these with four moving heads, but I knew full well I really couldn't afford to buy them until maybe the end of the year. If you'd all known thatm then maybe the advice would have been different. You may have said, forget changing them until you can afford to buy something much better as they are about the best in the price range, or maybe you would have told me to forget moving heads completely and stick with scans and barrels. What I actually managed to work out on my own was that these were OK for now and I should save up for a significant upgrade. There are always things we all have in our minds which will influence our decisions - I have been getting very frustrated trying to understand why Jay for example decided to buy the dynatwins and not a cheaper selection of effects - but maybe there is something in the back of his mind that none of us realise? I hate light boxes and would certainly push anyone who asks away from them, but maybe the person asking thinks they are the absolute dags dangly bits. if that's the case, don't ask for opinion, just tell us why you want to go down that route.

4. What do you already know. There are many times where I particularly get frustrated that people don't seem to know very basic things. The problem is, many posters actually don't tell us they don't know. If you have a very very limitted knowledge of something, maybe tell people in your post so the advice can be given and frustration avoided. Or maybe you have a little knowledge and for some reason believe you are right, but tell us and maybe we can take that into account. There was a thread about volume settings on amps not so long ago and I remember Jamie suggesting I should wack the volumes on my amp up full and control from the amp (I always only go to 50%). Well Jamie, I did listen and I did try it briefly at the begining of the night on Saturday, but chickened out and turned it down. Why? Well I don't know enough about what potential damange I could do to my speakers and with the amp on full, I had very little movement on my mixer to get huge volumes....

Maybe the above can act as a starting point. Hope it makes sense, but I would certainly like to encourage people asking for suggestions and advice to consider being a little more in depth when they ask questions....

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Personally Rice, I think you're looking into this way too much.

This is a forum where people are always going to ask questions that have been asked before and answered before. You seem to want everything neat and tidy and the way you like it, but this is not always possible.

By the very nature of a forum, people will post without thinking or without any information, as they may be new or not really thinking about what they are posting.

You can't change that just by starting a thread about it.

I have to say, that your post sounds a little bit patronizing and also you are coming over as some kind of teacher!

Ricesnaps
07-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Personally Rice, I think you're looking into this way too much.

This is a forum where people are always going to ask questions that have been asked before and answered before. You seem to want everything neat and tidy and the way you like it, but this is not always possible.

By the very nature of a forum, people will post without thinking or without any information, as they may be new or not really thinking about what they are posting.

You can't change that just by starting a thread about it.

I have to say, that your post sounds a little bit patronizing and also you are coming over as some kind of teacher!
Well, it was certainly not intended like that at all. It was actually quite a considered post based my own experience and the way in which I have asked for and taken advice in the past.

Surely there is absolutely nothing wrong with making the suggestion that, in order to focus our advice a little better, we clarify what we are asking is there?

I have no idea how I came accross as wanting things neat and tidy, I was simply making a suggestion that we encouraged a little clarity in requests for advice. I certainly know that I am very guilty of that and probably will continue to be, so the thoughts above were actually as much for me as they were anyone else. Knowing some of the background and thoughts behind someones questions is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Now go and write me 100 lines "I shall not have a go at rice.....I shall not have a go..." lol! :banana:

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Well, it was certainly not intended like that at all. It was actually quite a considered post based my own experience and the way in which I have asked for and taken advice in the past.

Surely there is absolutely nothing wrong with making the suggestion that, in order to focus our advice a little better, we clarify what we are asking is there?

I have no idea how I came accross as wanting things neat and tidy, I was simply making a suggestion that we encouraged a little clarity in requests for advice. I certainly know that I am very guilty of that and probably will continue to be, so the thoughts above were actually as much for me as they were anyone else. Knowing some of the background and thoughts behind someones questions is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Now go and write me 100 lines "I shall not have a go at rice.....I shall not have a go..." lol! :banana:

I'm not having a go at all.

I am merely suggesting that what you have posted won't be followed. Forums don't work like that. I would have thought you'd of realised that by now.

Ricesnaps
07-11-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm not having a go at all.

I am merely suggesting that what you have posted won't be followed. Forums don't work like that. I would have thought you'd of realised that by now.

How you getting on with those lines??

As I said, it was a suggestion, a thought, a way of improving the way people ask things - nobody is asking anyone to actually do that if they don't want to.

Bring back the slipper, that's what I say! :D :eek:

Shaun
07-11-2006, 03:17 PM

Absolutely noting wrong with that at all :). Will it be followed?, probably not but seemed like a fair suggestion to me.

Darren...go sit in the corner :D

Ricesnaps
07-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Darren...go sit in the corner :D
after he's done his lines please

LastMinuteDJs.net
07-11-2006, 03:28 PM
He can do his lines while sitting in the corner...

Discodaz
07-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Can I commend you on a well thought out and well written post, you obviously have decided to follow your own advice.

In my opinion, your suggestion is good, but how can we expect newbies to follow this advice? Perhaps the suggestions in your post could be converted into a bullet point list and stickied in the newbies section?

I have in the past been guilty of asking (or answering) a question without thinking it through or taking a little time to search the forum for the answers.

Good suggestion.

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-11-2006, 05:12 PM
OK, it was a reasonable suggestion, agreed.

The point is, people will not follow it.

How many times have we had to put people straight because they haven't read the rules?

And I am doing lines....

Lines and lines and more lines of quiz questions....

Back to it!