PDA

View Full Version : Back Up

Paul James Promotions
08-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Hi All,

Is there a legal way to create backup's of my entire CD+G collection to use on the road? My originals are starting to get damaged, plus i'm always concerned carrying a £10,000 case (even though it's insured) around mulitple times per week.

Would it be a case of pay per disk copy?

I have spoken with the MD of Sunfly a while ago, and they are happy for me to convert songs to PC format, but would it be the same for CD-Rs?

Any thoughts greatly appriciated.

Jamie

Candybeatdiscos
08-11-2006, 09:34 AM
The copyright law gives the owner of the copyright the exclusive right to copy the material; therefore, you may not legally do so without permission from the owner.
so if you have written permission from sunfly then yes you can back up your sunfly collection

jamesh
08-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Not sure it's a bit of a gray area..... Think quite a few dj's do use backup copies on the road rather than the origionals AS it is safer than using the orgional... whether it's legal or not is another option....

Personally i think as long as you have got the origionals and if anyone checks you can prove / show the origional disks then there shouldn't be a problem with it.....

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-11-2006, 10:58 AM
I must admit, I don't really understand the mentality of using copies co you can keep the originals in good condition.

CDs are tools of our trade, so surely if one got scratched or damaged you replace it?

EMKaraoke
08-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Sunfly absolutely do not give anyone permission to make backup copies. I have been through this in the past. Technically speaking when you purchase a Sunfly CD you are buying the CD & the rights to use that disc, you are not buying the actual rights to duplicate or reproduce. This stance is pretty much nation wide. You'd have to ask permission from Zoom & what not. It would be Highly unlikely you'd get permission in writing. If you've chatted to Keith in the past (Sunfly MD) ask away once again. Its in there interest to say no. You damage a disc, they get to sell another....