PDA

View Full Version : How do I look?

Nakatomi
19-08-2015, 08:51 PM
Not entirely finished yet.. I need more photos of gigs.. and better photos of gigs (or just some hints on where to get good stock images), but this is what I've been up to in my 'spare time'

http://www.mrdeejay.co.uk/

funkymook
19-08-2015, 09:24 PM
I don’t think you need to say 'Just my trusty laptop, professional sound card & controller (you try being a great DJ with only a mouse & a keyboard!)’ the general public haven’t a clue what a controller or a sound card is.

Likewise 'The subject of playlists is a thorny subject for many DJs’ - that’s what we talk about on DJ forums, they’re not interested, all they need to know is that you welcome their song ideas.

It’s also verging on negative marketing, all the space you’re using to say how bad your wedding DJ was could be used to say how great you are and what you can do for you clients.

Parts of it seem to be written for other DJ’s as we’re the only ones who will get the significance.

But overall the style is friendly and professional and you come across well, I think you just need to read it as if you were a prospective client rather than a DJ and rewrite (or leave out) anything that isn’t positive and is ‘DJ speak’.

Nakatomi
19-08-2015, 09:29 PM
I don’t think you need to say 'Just my trusty laptop, professional sound card & controller (you try being a great DJ with only a mouse & a keyboard!)’ the general public haven’t a clue what a controller or a sound card is.

Likewise 'The subject of playlists is a thorny subject for many DJs’ - that’s what we talk about on DJ forums, they’re not interested, all they need to know is that you welcome their song ideas.

It’s also verging on negative marketing, all the space you’re using to say how bad your wedding DJ was could be used to say how great you are and what you can do for you clients.

Parts of it seem to be written for other DJ’s as we’re the only ones who will get the significance.

But overall the style is friendly and professional and you come across well, I think you just need to read it as if you were a prospective client rather than a DJ and rewrite (or leave out) anything that isn’t positive and is ‘DJ speak’.

Good points, taken on board. Cheers. And this lot's got past my focus group too.. no biccies for them tonight!

ukpartydj
20-08-2015, 10:46 AM
I havent looked through it throughly and I quite possibly have made these "errors" myself but...

Try highlighting certain words or seperate paragraphs to make each page more like a advertisement than a book.
Also I hate the mumbo jumbo mean nothing phrases like "if your looking for a great DJ, you've come to the right place"... Or trying to tell people things they already know like" your wedding day is special, make sure your entertainment is too" :sick:

Maybe make some words bold to highlight the important bits so your not forcing them to read the useless joining words? Something I've tried and I think it works well. If you don't you run the risk of the reader getting bored / not absorbing information.

Nakatomi
20-08-2015, 11:06 AM
I thought that meaningless mumbo jumbo & telling the customer what they already know was what marketing is all about.

Writing copy is bloody hard work.

I like your website, but it's very evidence based. You're selling on the back of what your customers have said about you - which is great - but I'm not yet in a position to be able to do that.

So, I'm trying to convey what I'm all about, without resorting to negative marketing. And I've not yet found the right formula.

Nakatomi
20-08-2015, 11:55 AM
And while on the subject of your website UkPartyDJ, there's a pretty nasty typo on your site. Check the 'about' page.

Oh, and in your tags you have 'wedding/cival'.

Anyway back on topic, I don't know much about successful web copy yet & there's going to be many a tweak taking place. Some small, some very big!

Thanks for the input so far!

DeckstarDeluxe
20-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Get a copywriter to check it over. It's pretty cheap but not only do they look at it from a non DJ point of view if you have a particular target market then you can get it written by a copywriter of that audience.

Andy P
21-08-2015, 10:28 AM
I think you need to work on the spacing of the text. I'll have my son take a look he is in marketing and does a lot of typesetting - its who rips my sites to bits

Nakatomi
21-08-2015, 10:37 AM
I think you need to work on the spacing of the text. I'll have my son take a look he is in marketing and does a lot of typesetting - its who rips my sites to bits

How do you mean? Increase it? Decrease it? In places? All over?

I hate the current trend for too much white space. Ok if you're on a touch screen, very much not ok with a mouse

Imagine
21-08-2015, 10:53 AM
How do you mean? Increase it? Decrease it? In places? All over?

I hate the current trend for too much white space. Ok if you're on a touch screen, very much not ok with a mouse

I can see your point with the white space.....BUT
Do you know where the majority of your website traffic is coming from?

If you're anything like me, 90% (yes....90%!) is coming from a fruit orientated device so aim at making it look good on those, and you're very much onto a winner.

Nakatomi
21-08-2015, 11:06 AM

If you're anything like me, 90% (yes....90%!) is coming from a fruit orientated device so aim at making it look good on those, and you're very much onto a winner.

Hence the need for responsive sites, but just slap a touchy theme on & to hell with everyone else.

I don't own an iDevice so can only simulate how it looks & feels on such a thing. I think it does ok on that level. A lot better than a lot of disco sites I've looked at.

For what it's worth I don't have any traffic to speak of yet. I want to get the site ready before starting a campaign proper.

Andy P
21-08-2015, 11:16 AM
So sat with the son for 5 and here are our points

The banner I would make stretch the full screen as the white borders are harsh - also the gaps at top and bottom should probably match the gap on the j between the dot.

The menu might look better central and try filling the space rather than an even word justification

In time higher quality photos will improve the look - but dont we all want these.

The bullet points should have a min of 1.5 line spacing and either punctuate or dont - half is poor and it should be a ; if its a list. I prefer none unless its a CV

1 line sentences look out of place next to a paragraph - bulk it or lose it.

might sound really picky but the page is encapsulated with the dotty circle - make it the same size top and bottom

or tell me to bog off lol - also expand your range mate

Andy P
21-08-2015, 11:17 AM

I agree that many hits on my analytics come from the mobile market so having the mobile site is a must.

Nakatomi
21-08-2015, 11:22 AM

The banner I would make stretch the full screen as the white borders are harsh - also the gaps at top and bottom should probably match the gap on the j between the dot.

The menu might look better central and try filling the space rather than an even word justification

In time higher quality photos will improve the look - but dont we all want these.

The bullet points should have a min of 1.5 line spacing and either punctuate or dont - half is poor and it should be a ; if its a list. I prefer none unless its a CV

might sound really picky but the page is encapsulated with the dotty circle - make it the same size top and bottom

The locations covered thing is a placeholder for now. And SEO hell. Very very bad but loads of people do it.

I'll only be willing to travel 40-45 mins in any direction but that still makes my catchment area pretty darn big.

Yes I know I'm waiting for some decent photos. The ones of the brilliant wedding in July I hooked up with a tog for are poorly composed. I don't want half a hand or shoulder in my website images! I tried taking photos last night with my bridge camera & frankly the stills from my phones videos are better!

My dad has a decent dslr. Time to borrow it, but I think I might just have to use stock photos or they'll all be of the same venue (yawn!)

Imagine
21-08-2015, 11:29 AM
The locations covered thing is a placeholder for now. And SEO hell. Very very bad but loads of people do it.

I'll only be willing to travel 40-45 mins in any direction but that still makes my catchment area pretty darn big.

Locations (or better still, VENUES) are a brilliant little SEO trick ;)
I have a page of venues I've been to, all linking through to a specific page for said venue detailing what I've done, a rig/party shot where available and various other little snippets the punters might be interested in.

What good is it though?

Search Gooooooogle for said venue and if your SEO and indexing are up to scratch, you'll appear in the search for that venue as a mobile disco ;)
Trust me, it works a treat

Nakatomi
21-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Locations (or better still, VENUES) are a brilliant little SEO trick ;)
I have a page of venues I've been to, all linking through to a specific page for said venue detailing what I've done, a rig/party shot where available and various other little snippets the punters might be interested in.

What good is it though?

Search Gooooooogle for said venue and if your SEO and indexing are up to scratch, you'll appear in the search for that venue as a mobile disco ;)
Trust me, it works a treat

Ah then I guess if you're not just keyword loading it IS a good idea then.

This is beginning to look like a chicken & egg scenario. Mostly only worked one venue, only one testimonial.... Heh

Nakatomi
21-08-2015, 11:42 AM
I agree that many hits on my analytics come from the mobile market so having the mobile site is a must.

My site is responsive. No need for a 'mobile' site at all. Less work in the long run.

1.5 lines spacing seems a lot. I tightened up all the CSS in the theme I used a lot.

Imagine
21-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Ah then I guess if you're not just keyword loading it IS a good idea then.

This is beginning to look like a chicken & egg scenario. Mostly only worked one venue, only one testimonial.... Heh

You'll get them eventually. I've only got 18 month's worth, but it's growing all the time (and I don't list the venues I didn't particularly like).

Remember, Google wants to be the best search engine on the planet. To that end, all it wants to do it return results the user is looking for, i.e. RELEVANT to their search in a big way.

So as you rightly say, keyword stuffing on pages is a big no-no (Google knows what you're up to on that score). By all means get the words in there, BUT make them look natural to a human reader and Google won't have a problem with them. By putting on venue pages, it gives the site more content (more pages = more index entries = more chance of showing up....so long as the pages are all unique in their content), it gives the site ever changing content (Google likes new content being added), and it obviously shows potential customers that you've got knowledge of their chosen venue if you've already been there.

It does require a lot of ongoing work (I make changes to my content on an almost daily basis), but that's unfortunately part of the marketing game we're in now.

ukpartydj
21-08-2015, 05:36 PM
And while on the subject of your website UkPartyDJ, there's a pretty nasty typo on your site. Check the 'about' page.

Oh, and in your tags you have 'wedding/cival'.

Anyway back on topic, I don't know much about successful web copy yet & there's going to be many a tweak taking place. Some small, some very big!

Thanks for the input so far!

Thanks... I spotted 3 mistakes ... whoops! Good job nobody looks at that page haha!
And yes I still have wedding/cival as a tag in my reviews, very inconvenient for me this whole legalisation gay marriage etc, didn't think of me when they did that did they! Had to change my wedding/cival page completely!

Benny Smyth
21-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Thanks... I spotted 3 mistakes ... whoops! Good job nobody looks at that page haha!
And yes I still have wedding/cival as a tag in my reviews, very inconvenient for me this whole legalisation gay marriage etc, didn't think of me when they did that did they! Had to change my wedding/cival page completely!

I think he meant Civil being spelt incorrectly.

ukpartydj
21-08-2015, 08:58 PM
I think he meant Civil being spelt incorrectly.

:bang:

Nakatomi
21-08-2015, 11:43 PM

I'm getting onto that.

I consider that a good point - one I've considered playing with already

It's gonna take more than time. A better camera, and a better camera operator are needed

The bullet points should have a min of 1.5 line spacing and either punctuate or dont - half is
poor and it should be a ; if its a list. I prefer none unless its a CV

Bloody hell somebody's got an eye for details. Easy fix though!

Even as I was typing it out I thought it looked a bit off but couldn't put my finger on it.

Picky? I find myself agreeing with you.

Hey, I asked didn't I? :-)

Marc J
24-08-2015, 09:09 AM
I don't own an iDevice so can only simulate how it looks & feels on such a thing.

How to Use Mobile Emulation Mode in Chrome (http://www.sitepoint.com/use-mobile-emulation-mode-chrome/)

Nakatomi
24-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Already on that line Marc :)

Seems to work as anticipated.

Got some great photos of a daylight dance off I might be able to use. There's no getting away from the fact I'm going to need stock photos in the beginning though.

Nakatomi
24-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Anyway.

I've taken a lot of comments on board. Now my 'about' page is much less 'life story/Cv' and all about what's so brilliant about me.

I sorted the spacing issues out a fair bit more & I think it looks better generally.

I've got another 'focus group' looking through it but I dunno, it still seems to me I'm lacking a lot of stuff - things that'd make me keen as a customer - feedback from previous clients is a chicken & egg thing at this stage in a businesses life isn't it?

Time I think to get my plugin head on & make a survey for happy customers to complete.

Benny Smyth
24-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Time I think to get my plugin head on & make a survey for happy customers to complete.

I tend to send an email post-gig and say something along the lines of "Just wanted to say thanks for letting me be part of your day, I hope you and your guests had a good time and I wish you both all the best." If there is feedback to be given, they'll reply with it!

I've not checked out the site yet as I have been swamped. I will have a nosey now though. :)

Benny Smyth
24-08-2015, 12:37 PM
Ok, here are my thoughts (and bear in mind it is my subjective, uneducated opinion!):

- I actually like the pictures on the homepage. The composition of them is actually good, but just let down by the image quality. For the meantime though, I'd be happy enough to keep them there.
- I think you say a bit too much on the homepage. I've always been told that give them a teaser on the homepage and give them a reason to click around.
- I would put your bottom banner above your list of pages and locations covered.
- Start Tweeting and Facebooking ASAP. Bulk them with pics that you have. I've just clicked on your Twitter and immediately thought "Ugh!"
- Under weddings, you use the phrase "I'm not much of a mind reader." You said it in a positive way, but I still felt a twang of negativity from that. Maybe that's just me.
- Again, under Birthdays you use "It’s unfortunate, but some tracks may hold less than happy memories and it’s important to me that they have no part in your event. Let me have a list of ‘banned’ songs & I’ll make sure they won’t be played." Instead of focusing on those epic tracks that you love from days gone by, it's focusing on the negative aspects of it.
- I'd personally refer to yourself as Justin throughout the website. I get that Mr. Deejay is the brand, but as has been said a million times on this forum already - people buy people.
- Don't mention your residency. If somebody is getting married at that venue, and you quote £500 but the venue pimp your services out for £300, they'll go for the cheaper option 'cos it's the same guy anyway. If you take that info out, you could advocate why they should pay X to you directly over paying for a resident they know nothing about.
- As bad as this sounds, might be an idea to start making some testimonials up as filler...

Nakatomi
24-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Cheers Benny. I'll rejig things around to squish the negativity later today.

A good DJ I may be, but a marketing whiz I ain't. I'm a complete noob.

The thought of padding testimonials had already crossed my mind... I wouldn't be the first & I maybe wouldn't feel so guilty since people DO actually say nice things about me. Well to my face anyway!

I'll set about whipping up a post event quiz & send that to the most recent customers I have email addresses for. That might help.

funkymook
24-08-2015, 01:46 PM
This is still a bit ‘DJ speak’ in my opinion

The years I served as a bar & club DJ taught me a lot about how to provide continuous music while navigating different musical styles and still providing great customer service. I can mix to a very high standard, whether I’m playing chart, house, trance, RnB, disco, rock, rock & roll or soul but the most important thing is always knowing what to play next and how to get to the next requested track.

I’m very comfortable using a microphone, so you can be assured any announcements made will be clearly heard.

Try rewriting phrases like 'Navigate different musical styles’ to something like 'playing all your favourite tunes’.

‘Your favourite tunes’ makes it about them, it’ll get them thinking about what they would want you to play (and it sounds fun, like a party should be) - ‘navigating different musical styles’ is about you and doesn’t conjure up a party in the minds eye (or ear).

I’d drop all the mixing references from the home page and just have a few lines about what you cover ‘Weddings, Birthdays...' etc and that you can play all styles of music from 'Rock’n’Roll to the latest Club floor fillers’ and then a 'Contact Me on...’ call to action.

Mixing and your bar and club experience would be better if you had it in a separate section about playing in a club style where the people interested in reading it would understand what it means.

Nakatomi
24-08-2015, 07:42 PM
This is still a bit ‘DJ speak’ in my opinion

The years I served as a bar & club DJ taught me a lot about how to provide continuous music while navigating different musical styles and still providing great customer service. I can mix to a very high standard, whether I’m playing chart, house, trance, RnB, disco, rock, rock & roll or soul but the most important thing is always knowing what to play next and how to get to the next requested track.

I’m very comfortable using a microphone, so you can be assured any announcements made will be clearly heard.

Try rewriting phrases like 'Navigate different musical styles’ to something like 'playing all your favourite tunes’.

‘Your favourite tunes’ makes it about them, it’ll get them thinking about what they would want you to play (and it sounds fun, like a party should be) - ‘navigating different musical styles’ is about you and doesn’t conjure up a party in the minds eye (or ear).

I’d drop all the mixing references from the home page and just have a few lines about what you cover ‘Weddings, Birthdays...' etc and that you can play all styles of music from 'Rock’n’Roll to the latest Club floor fillers’ and then a 'Contact Me on...’ call to action.

Mixing and your bar and club experience would be better if you had it in a separate section about playing in a club style where the people interested in reading it would understand what it means.

Thanks again. Though now I've got a Vic Reeves earworm (in a club style)... ;)

I've tweaked some more & it looks like I'm going to have to mangle the theme to try moving the banner currently residing at the bottom of the page. Maybe the header & footer would work better if they were fixed position items. I'll give that a go too.

funkymook
24-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Thanks again. Though now I've got a Vic Reeves earworm (in a club style)... ;)

I've tweaked some more & it looks like I'm going to have to mangle the theme to try moving the banner currently residing at the bottom of the page. Maybe the header & footer would work better if they were fixed position items. I'll give that a go too.

You can’t go wrong with a bit of Vic...

It reads much more public friendly now, and at some point it just becomes a difference in style rather than better - for example I’d phrase this:

'The years I’ve spent as a DJ have taught me everything I know about how to provide an excellent service – not just with the music I play but in my whole outlook towards an event’

more like this:

With many years of experience I pride myself on my excellent customer service, not only playing great music for you and your guests on the night itself but from the very first time you contact me I’ll be helping you plan a fantastic party.

Imagine
24-08-2015, 10:14 PM
Anyway.

I've taken a lot of comments on board. Now my 'about' page is much less 'life story/Cv' and all about what's so brilliant about me.

Hmmm.....I have my own opinions on "about" pages

I was always taught that "people buy people", and my about page actually goes through a bit of history (embarrassingly, it also has a photo of me as well which I really should update). I've had a lot of clients say that reading about me and seeing that I'm a real person with a bit of history helped them to make their decision to book.

Mine's not written in a corporate, selling type of way. It's done in plain English so that it comes across as me personally talking to the client....it seems to work (or at least for my clients)

yourdj
25-08-2015, 07:13 AM
Hmmm.....I have my own opinions on "about" pages

I was always taught that "people buy people", and my about page actually goes through a bit of history (embarrassingly, it also has a photo of me as well which I really should update). I've had a lot of clients say that reading about me and seeing that I'm a real person with a bit of history helped them to make their decision to book.

Mine's not written in a corporate, selling type of way. It's done in plain English so that it comes across as me personally talking to the client....it seems to work (or at least for my clients)

So many people about me pages don't have any photos of the guy who will be there.
Especially for weddings people want to see what they are getting.

Photographers are the worst which is quite ironic as they are the one group of people that can get a good shot.
This is on our meet the team section LOL. I really need to get one when everyone is all together, but it seldom happens.
Its a shame my wife looks a bit fat in this one :p

Nakatomi
25-08-2015, 07:19 AM
I've got a perfect face for radio but I'm still planning on spending some time in a portrait studio so I'm not just another faceless DJ service.

If you claim to be proud of what you do, back it up by putting yourself on your site Imho

Shakermaker Promotions
25-08-2015, 07:35 AM
I have a photo of myself on my website on the 'Meet the DJ' page. I also interviewed myself ;) to give people an idea of what I am like.
Unfortunately I look like Phil Mitchell from Eastenders in the photo but it hasn't put people off booking me (I don't think so anyway).

EDIT : Just reading back through the thread - I think an 'About Me' or 'Meet the DJ' page is a great thing to have on a website. Like I said above, I actually interviewed myself and I was laughing and was slightly embarrassed when I was doing it but I see it as a plus point. The customer kind of gets to know you in advance. If you have that and then either talk to them on the phone when they enquire or provide them with as much information as possible with reference to quotations and what they get for their money, the way you work etc.....Well, I think the chances of them booking you are pretty high.

Lastly, Toby.....you do make me laugh mate. You have such a way with words!:)

yourdj
25-08-2015, 08:09 AM
I've got a perfect face for radio but I'm still planning on spending some time in a portrait studio so I'm not just another faceless DJ service.

If you claim to be proud of what you do, back it up by putting yourself on your site Imho

I think the one on here is great, it looks friendly, honest and real. :)

I have a photo of myself on my website on the 'Meet the DJ' page. I also interviewed myself ;) to give people an idea of what I am like.
Unfortunately I look like Phil Mitchell from Eastenders in the photo but it hasn't put people off booking me (I don't think so anyway).
Lastly, Toby.....you do make me laugh mate. You have such a way with words!:)

I would say a love child of Grant and Phil. :)
It's hard isn't it to get a good photo. A natural one off Facebook is always good.
i would always say get someone else (a woman) to choose one.

There is a local DJ to me, who has a photo and he looks like a thug. Why would you post a photo of you scowling LOL. :)
Maybe some clients like that.

Imagine
25-08-2015, 08:16 AM

Proper hooligan ;)

I was lucky enough to be sent some photo's last night of me being my brother in law's best man. They're some of the few photo's I've ever seen of me actually smiling (which I do all the time in real life, just not in front of a camera as I hate having my photo taken). A little cropping later, it's now on my about page :)

Shakermaker Promotions
25-08-2015, 08:26 AM
I would say a love child of Grant and Phil. :)
It's hard isn't it to get a good photo. A natural one off Facebook is always good.

My missus took the one of me at around 3.00am on New Years Day after I had DJ'd. I think it looks natural and I'd rather that then a scripted or thought out cheesy pose if that makes sense.

Nakatomi
25-08-2015, 09:19 AM
I'd be interested to see what I look like when I'm actually working at my controller. I wonder if any photo taken then would be suitable for public consumption.

There's video somebody took of me at a wedding last month when I was beavering away in a fast paced dance off mix.. I'd absolutely love to see that dslr footage.

This is one area where having a minion is going to help I think

Benny Smyth
25-08-2015, 09:53 AM

Studio pictures>Facebook pictures.

Nakatomi
25-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Studio pictures>Facebook pictures.

But what if your Facebook picture was taken in a studio?

:sofa:

Nah I agree with you Benny. Pro portrait is the way I'm going. Sure use more casual photos later but I think a studio shot is more 'pro' looking.

There's always a danger of it looking too contrived or seeming conceited, but you can say that about any marketing material.

funkymook
25-08-2015, 10:30 AM
I wonder if it would work both ways?

I might start asking to see pictures of prospective clients and if I don’t like the look of them I’ll pass.

Actually not as daft as it sounds - how many of us google our enquirers and check them out on FB, Linked-in etc? You can bet a lot are doing the same for us.

Benny Smyth
25-08-2015, 10:32 AM
But what if your Facebook picture was taken in a studio?

:sofa:

Nah I agree with you Benny. Pro portrait is the way I'm going. Sure use more casual photos later but I think a studio shot is more 'pro' looking.

There's always a danger of it looking too contrived or seeming conceited, but you can say that about any marketing material.

What? All of them? If that's the case, there are issues in your life that require professional help, and not from a 'tog! :p

In my own opinion, it's fine having pics of yourself in action on other pages, but on the 'About Me' page a nice clean pic of you against a blank canvas would work best. Hell, even a picture of you out on a walk in the woods would do the job, just as long the main focus is you.

I might start asking to see pictures of prospective clients and if I don’t like the look of them I’ll pass.

Are you advocating that a picture of the DJ is not important?

funkymook
25-08-2015, 11:00 AM

Actually not as daft as it sounds - how many of us google our enquirers and check them out on FB, Linked-in etc? You can bet a lot are doing the same for us.

Are you advocating that a picture of the DJ is not important?

That was a tongue in cheek comment.

But I don’t have my picture on my sites (nor any gear/set-up pictures) and I’ve no idea how many enquiries haven’t been made because of that - but I’m as busy as I want to be at a price I’m happy with so for me it doesn’t appear to be important. That’s not to say I don’t agree it’s best practice though.

Benny Smyth
25-08-2015, 11:05 AM
That was a tongue in cheek comment.

But I don’t have my picture on my sites (nor any gear/set-up pictures) and I’ve no idea how many enquiries haven’t been made because of that - but I’m as busy as I want to be at a price I’m happy with so for me it doesn’t appear to be important. That’s not to say I don’t agree it’s best practice though.

I thought it was, but just making sure. :)

funkymook
25-08-2015, 11:11 AM
I thought it was, but just making sure. :)

But the second part wasn’t - if I find a prospective client on FB etc and don’t like the look of them (when I say look I mean a whole host of things, not attractiveness) then I’ll tactfully already be booked on their date.

Nakatomi
25-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Ok, it's way more complicated than just 'if youi're proud of your assertions you should use a photo of yourself to back it up'.. That was a bit crass of me & missed the point.

A customer's impression of a business is down to a combination of factors, not least of which how they interpret the pitch presented to them.

I don't feel I have to put mugshots on my site but I'd like to. Why? You know what, I'm not sure. I think it'll help lend an air of credibility to my pitch & it always helps to put a face to a name. If you're doing okay without doing that - fine.