PDA

View Full Version : In the process of setting up... slowly...

Iain
09-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Hi all - had a quick look around the forum rules and so on, and thought it'd be best for me to introduce myself before searching for the answers to my questions on the forum.

I used to be a holiday park entertainer, and since leaving the parks three years ago I just can't get the buzz of entertaining hundreds of people at a time out of my mind. I'm a member of Hospital Radio Colchester, and as part of our fundraising, we supply PA and discos to schools, local charities, local events and so on. I love fronting these shows that we do, playing games with the kids, introducing acts and other compering duties - so I thought why not go back to what is the best job in the world, but do it on my own?!

I think I've got the gift of the gab, but just need help with the technical side fo things. I'm not a complete luddite, but I think I have a lot to learn.

I've already looked into DJing with decks or laptop (I'm sure others here will agree and/or disagree with my findings), and I'm now going to filter through these forums looking for information on speakers, lights, amps, mixers etc.

I'm hopefully going to be set up by Easter 2007. That's my aim, anyway.

Many thanks in advance for all your help.

I'm off to browse right now! See you all around!

Corabar Steve
09-11-2006, 02:20 PM
:welcome2: :welcome1: :beer3: :approve:

Feel free to join in any thread that you're intrested in

Shaun
09-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Welcome to the community Iain.

Looking forward to chatting to you around the forum :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Welcome Iain.

Ricesnaps
09-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi Ian,

If it's of any help to you, I'm based just up the road from you in Ipswich and you would be more than welcome to come out with my show if you feel that would help you get a better feel for the technical side of things. I'm absolutely no expert, but would be happy to help.

PM me if you are interested and I'd pass some dates by you.

axeman
09-11-2006, 05:05 PM
hey good luck, I would take Matthew (ricesnaps) up on his offer that way you can talk thru all the tec stuff face to face, and help carry his gear too...lol

Corabar Entertainment
09-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi Iain, and welcome aboard! :welcome2:

TonyB
09-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Welcome to another North Essex DJ!:welcome1:

djchunky
10-11-2006, 04:46 AM
hi Iain , welcome aboard

Iain
10-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Well what a warm welcome!

Thank you very much, everyone, especialy Ricesnaps, for your generous offer (at least I think it's generous of you to let me help you at a gig...?!).

It's not so much the setting-up-technical-side-of-things I'm looking to learn about, because once I've bought the gear, I think I'll be well away - it's more the what-the-hell-do-I-need-to-buy-and-who-should-I-buy-it-from technical side of things.

I'm going to set myself up as a laptop-DJ, and I'd like to know what other bits I need to buy - for example (and please excuse my ignorance), if I'm using, say, PCDJ, there's a mixer on screen, so do I need another mixer? I think I do, because there's nowehere for the microphone to go - but what kind of mixer do I need?

Active speakers or separate amplifier? How big an amplifier? What kind of spec speakers do I need?

I think I understand how it all works, it's just there's so much choice...:bang:

Ricesnaps
10-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Ian,

Not sure if my offer is genrous or just a way of getting easy labour, lol!

It's not about easy labour as I have a roadie who would also be there working! I would suggest that if you do have some time to come along, it will certainly give you some practical experiance of what I use and you should get an idea what you need and what you don't need. I use Mixmiester running off a laptop, but also a set of denon DND4000 and a mixer, so you might find that useful to see.

It might also give you some better feeling for lighting, I'm currently running scanner, barrels, goboflowers and some other bits and pieces.

Next gig is a week on Saturday if Felixstowe if your not busy?

Iain
10-11-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm currently a waiter/manager at a restaurant in Clacton - I'll pick up my rota for next weekend sometiem this weekend, so I'll let you know.

Sounds great.

I hadn't even thought about lighting... Do DJ retailers have January sales?

Ricesnaps
10-11-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm currently a waiter/manager at a restaurant in Clacton - I'll pick up my rota for next weekend sometiem this weekend, so I'll let you know.

Sounds great.

I hadn't even thought about lighting... Do DJ retailers have January sales?
Otherwise, there's one near Ipswich (a wedding) on 9th, pub in Ipswich on 16th, nearly all nighter on 28th and New year in lavenham.

Not sure they do DJ January sales I'm afraid, but ebay can be great!

axeman
10-11-2006, 04:16 PM
I use a laptop with pcdj red, and have recently bought this newmark DM950USB (http://www.record-producer.com/learn.cfm?a=1980)usb mixer, which saves me lugging my twin cd players/mixer flight case around with me,digital dj-ing is a lot more compact and easier on your bones, the sound quality went way up, (also mix properly and cue) as a laptops sound card is ussually fairly small and poor, this mixer has 2 built in sound cards, hence nbig improvements in sound.
I do carry a small stand alone cd player, with all my normal cd's & a few cds ive ready mixed using nero. (just in case)

Corabar Steve
10-11-2006, 04:26 PM
I do carry a small stand alone cd player, with all my normal cd's & a few cds ive ready mixed using nero. (just in case)

Naughty!:Naughty:

ian8limelight
10-11-2006, 05:12 PM
From an Ian to an Iain, welcome aboard.

Iain
15-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks so much for the invites, Ricesnaps.

I'm not available this Saturday - working 4pm til probably midnight (I dare say I'm probably doing more hours than you that night and for a lot less money!), bu I'll keep an eye out as each rota comes out.

axeman
15-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman

Naughty!
i know what you mean - one day i might need it, but so far (2yrs) ive lugged about a flight cased set of decks and mixer and havnt looked at it....lol

so once i got the newmark usb mixer i thought up this current set up.

Once a couple of years ago one side of my cd players jammed, i got thru the night without anybody knowing with a bit of patter and carefully planned use of cd's, these days i have mixed cd' s of various types, ready for action if called upon!

anyhoo off topic a bit so good luck Iain, your in good company !!

djbigdevs
15-11-2006, 02:10 PM
I think Corabar Steve was refering to the CD's you mixed & recorded - (illegally).