PDA

View Full Version : Skype

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Anyone else use it?

Just downloaded the software and bought a phone and I'm not overly impressed with the quality so far.

NeilP
10-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Don't use it myself as i can't see the benefit for me to use it.

From what i have read, you can get free calls to anyone else on Skype using your broadband connection. Bearing in mind most non BT suppliers offer free UK calls, the only saving would be to mobiles - Skype is a very expensive way to call mobiles (approx 24p per min inc VAT).

You still have to have a landline, and you also need to have a broadband connection ........ so unless you are going to be calling people overseas who also have SKYPE, it seems a non starter to me....... unless i am missing something!

Neil

I've done it :) , talked about a telephone related topic, and not mentioned Utility Warehouse (www.pigginsimple.co.uk) .....DOH!:bang:

Ricesnaps
10-11-2006, 05:13 PM
The only thing I can offer is overseas calls - not me personally, but my dad bless him, hasn't got a clue about msn or these things and likes a phone in his hand. So now he regularly chats to his friend in Canada for free.

Bought him a web cam in August, so now he chats on the phone and watches his friend and the other way around!

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Don't use it myself as i can't see the benefit for me to use it.

From what i have read, you can get free calls to anyone else on Skype using your broadband connection. Bearing in mind most non BT suppliers offer free UK calls, the only saving would be to mobiles - Skype is a very expensive way to call mobiles (approx 24p per min inc VAT).

Not quite true - they vary and I've not seen anything that expensive.

You still have to have a landline,
Not true - you could have cable instead of ADSL.

so unless you are going to be calling people overseas who also have SKYPE, it seems a non starter to me....... unless i am missing something!

Well, if you buy £10 credit, they give you free UK calls (non mobile) for 6 months.

There are quite a few benefits, but better to read their site than listen to me!

djgordyp
10-11-2006, 05:48 PM
I used to have Skype but for some reason it would stop responding in the middle of a call meaning you had to close the program, restart it again and then call the person back. I can't see the point of it myself. Mainly because I have Talk 3 international and broadband for £30 a month. The international bit allows me to call 28 countries for free 24/7.
The only benefit I can see with Skype is the call clarity and the fact you can use a webcam.

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Here are the call charges to mobiles in the UK

(figures are not including and including VAT)

United Kingdom GBP 0.012 GBP 0.014
United Kingdom - Mobile - Hutchison3G GBP 0.144 GBP 0.166
United Kingdom - Mobile - O2 GBP 0.144 GBP 0.166
United Kingdom - Mobile - Orange GBP 0.144 GBP 0.166
United Kingdom - Mobile - Others GBP 0.144 GBP 0.166
United Kingdom - Mobile - Tmobile GBP 0.144 GBP 0.166
United Kingdom - Mobile - Vodafone GBP 0.144 GBP 0.166

NeilP
10-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Had a more in depth look at it on their website.

Bad Bits

All calls to UK mobiles are 20.5p per min + VAT = 24p per minute

All calls are charged (where chargeable) per minute (most alternatives charge per second, so you only pay for what you use) ie. a 67 second call via Skype would cost you 48p to a UK mobile at anytime, it would cost from 4p to 24p with UWDC depending on time of day called.

Chargeable calls to UK landlines are good if you call at Peak times (2p per min) but are expensive at any other time.

If your internet connection goes down, so does your Skype.

Good Bits

Free Calls to other people on SKYPE anywhere around the world
Free Video messaging, Conference calling etc etc to other people of Skype
If your phone gets cut off the you've still got your Skype!!

Pay £10 in advance, and get free UK landline calls for 6 months.

If you need to call worldwide, then Skype is great value. If you don't then it's not! The other thing i couldn't find an answer to on their website, was how does using Skype affect the download limit (if you have one) of your broadband service. It says that it sends encypted packets of information, so i presume that it is using the allowance, but doesn't say how much.

I suppose the proof is in the pudding as the say. Let us know how you get on.:zip:

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Had a more in depth look at it on their website.

Bad Bits

All calls to UK mobiles are 20.5p per min + VAT = 24p per minute

I've just copied and pasted the charges from the website Neil - where are you looking?:confused:

NeilP
10-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Darren,

Just noticed our prices differ .... i got mine off the Skype website, where did you get yours?:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Darren,

Just noticed our prices differ .... i got mine off the Skype website, where did you get yours?:)

The Skype website!

Here http://www.skype.com/products/skypeout/rates/all_rates.html?currency=GBP

NeilP
10-11-2006, 06:06 PM
SNAP!!:D

I got mine from here: http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/products/

Interesting to see that they have two different rates on their website for the same services!! All we need now, is someone who has Skype to let us know which they bill out at!:confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-11-2006, 06:10 PM
How bizarre!

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Anyhow, the only reason I got it to be honest was because I need to use the conference call facility regularly (or will do) and this was the cheapest and easiest way of doing it.

You got yours yet Ang?

CRAZY K
10-11-2006, 06:48 PM
My son who works in China is keen to try this--should save him quite a bit on phone calls to me in the UK:)

I would imagine the quality might be a bit dodgy as Daz says.

Still, you get what you pay for:(

CRAZY K

wensleydale
10-11-2006, 06:53 PM
i use it occasionally and used it a lot when on holiday in bali- use the free wifi in the hotel and you have cheap phonecalls everywhere- don't think the 24p is true- much cheaper from bali back to uk mobiles.
it's ok, but obviously not as good as a land line.

Corabar Entertainment
10-11-2006, 07:30 PM
You got yours yet Ang?Nope - haven't chosen my phone yet :D .....anyway, I made a suggestion that we got it and you never answered me! :eek:

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Nope - haven't chosen my phone yet :D .....anyway, I made a suggestion that we got it and you never answered me! :eek:

I told you the other day that I'd downloaded the software:)

Corabar Entertainment
10-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Did you? Oopps - :sorry:

Corabar Entertainment
10-11-2006, 08:46 PM
- also meant to ask Darren: what sort of handset did you go for, or did you go for a standard telephone adapter? ...and where did you get it from?

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-11-2006, 08:53 PM
- also meant to ask Darren: what sort of handset did you go for, or did you go for a standard telephone adapter? ...and where did you get it from?

I bought one of these http://www.pyramid.com/Product.aspx?StockCode=761199 and the price is the cheapest you'll find for that model.

I'm not sure whether to recommend it or not yet as I haven't had a proper conversation on it as yet!:o

Corabar Entertainment
10-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Ah - you got a wireless one.

I've decided against a wireless phone for 2 reasons:-

1. the wireless connection drops off from time to time, and
2. I've never known an ordinary wireless phone that people didn't have probems with!

Very good price though!

I just keep going back and forth between an adapter and a VOIP speakerphone..... I'll make my mind up in the next day or two, no doubt!

Corabar Entertainment
12-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Right.... software downloaded and handset ordered.

Went for this (http://www.i-voip.co.uk/catalog/enlage.php?Openid=1059) one in the end (that isn't where I bought it from, but there are better pictures on that site).

Now, I've just got to wait for it to be delivered!