PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 - End of night tracks

ukpartydj
31-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Organising my music and wondering if I've missed any gems in my end of night selection. So far I've got :

I've had the time of my life
New York New York / strangers in the night / my way
Flying without wings
Never forget / greatest day
Don't stop me now / bohemian rhapsody
Diamonds (Rihanna)

Could do with a few more modern suggestions but I'm sure I'm missing loads!

Excalibur
31-01-2016, 05:02 PM
Dunno about modern.

Brown Eyed Girl
Mustang Sally
Daydream Believer
Time of my life
Sweet Caroline

Some permutation of the above is often my last five tracks.

New York, New York
Champagne Supernova.
You'll never walk alone
Angels

All of the above have been my last track of the night at one time or another.

Nakatomi
31-01-2016, 05:03 PM
Can't take my eyes off of you. I've used the Boystown Gang version, Frankie Valli and on a couple of occasions Muse to close a night off.

Also Meatload - I would do anything for love (but I wouldn't do that).

If I have a request to finish on NYNY, I've been known to play the first verse of 'Let's face the music & dance' & do a chop mix segue right into ole blue eyes. Seems to work quite well.

And finally (for now) if I play the Dirty Dancing tune I use the movie version & during the big instrumental break 2/3 of the way in as a bed to big up a happy couple, wish everybody else well & say my goodbyes. Set your cue points so you know when it's coming :)

Edit: Way back when I was a club DJ we had a company diktat which stipulated all company DJs had to play Dean Martin 'That's Amore' at the end of every night. Cheese clubs like where I worked all the way up to the company's flagship dance club.. we had to play it or be sacked immediately! Always got people swaying & singing on their way out but I grew to hate it.

On a visit to France a while back, there was a bar in Cannes where they always ended the night on 'hit the road Jack'.. An odd one to play you might think, but can be a really nice note to end on I find too.

dicky
31-01-2016, 06:34 PM
I often end with....

Killers - Mr Brightside
Hermes House Band - Chelsea Dagger
Queen - Don't Stop Me Now

ppentertainments
01-02-2016, 10:55 AM
Hermes House Band - Country Roads
Runrig - Loch Lomond (if strong scottish contingency)
Stereophonics - Dakota
Uptown Funk
Wannadies -You and Me
Elbow - One Day Like This

mattydj50
01-02-2016, 11:23 AM
And finally (for now) if I play the Dirty Dancing tune I use the movie version & during the big instrumental break 2/3 of the way in as a bed to big up a happy couple, wish everybody else well & say my goodbyes. Set your cue points so you know when it's coming :)

That sounds familiar!!

I also sometimes finish with Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life by Monty Python or Bring Me Sunshine by Morecambe & Wise.

fullcontact68
01-02-2016, 12:08 PM
I tend to use Never can say goodbye at the end most times (depending on the music on the night)

Jim - Scotland's Party DJ
01-02-2016, 03:22 PM
Ah to have the choice.

90% of bride, grooms, birthday boys and girls want to finish on Loch Lommond.

You do get the odd rebel that picks 500 miles instead :p

If given the choice I usually go for a big sing along banger like Don't Look Back in Anger.

Corabar Steve
01-02-2016, 05:05 PM
People have set tracks for this?

I tend to judge it on a gig to gig basis.

Excalibur
01-02-2016, 05:12 PM

Oh yes. We are creatures of habit Steve, playing the same one hundred and thirty nine tracks every night. To keep it interesting, sometimes we change the order a bit. :D:D:D

Nothing is set in stone, Steve. As you say, each gig, each audience is different. I think that the tracks we are listing are what we play on a regular basis at what we might call a normal or standard gig. ( If such a thing exists ) :confused:

Corabar Steve
01-02-2016, 05:19 PM
I think the only track I played more than once as a last song last year was New York New York, & that was only because it was requested.

ukpartydj
01-02-2016, 06:09 PM
I think the only track I played more than once as a last song last year was New York New York, & that was only because it was requested.

Interesting, I play quite a lot of the same tracks so get lots of repetition. Often unless it's requested I will bring up my list of end of the night tracks and ask for them to let me know what they want to hear... quite an eye opener as quite often the track you would have played gets no response yet you know if you did play it they still would have danced!

Nakatomi
01-02-2016, 06:17 PM
Hermes House Band - Chelsea Dagger

I've somehow missed this, and yet I'm too scared to look it up.

Benny Smyth
01-02-2016, 06:36 PM

I was thinking this. Is there still such a thing as an 'end of night track'? End with a song that gets 'em whooping, cheering and singing - there are one of two of those out there that covers that eventuality.

Shakermaker Promotions
01-02-2016, 07:02 PM

Same here!

Nakatomi
01-02-2016, 07:14 PM
Oh yes. We are creatures of habit Steve, playing the same one hundred and thirty nine tracks every night. To keep it interesting, sometimes we change the order a bit. :D:D:D

Nothing is set in stone, Steve. As you say, each gig, each audience is different. I think that the tracks we are listing are what we play on a regular basis at what we might call a normal or standard gig. ( If such a thing exists ) :confused:

True. A lot of the time the last song is a request and guess what? As with the requests throughout the night they tend to be from the list compiled & curated by SAMEOLDSAMEOLD Productions LLC working in partnership with McWeddings Inc. I couldn't possibly bring myself to start or end every night with the same track. I still have nightmares about 'That's Amore'.

Say you're doing an 18th birthday party & you've been playing jiggy jiggy yah yah music all night.. then the time for last tune comes and you bosh ole Blue Eyes on the decks for them because you always play it at other functions. You'd rightly be surprised if you didn't get booed off. Context, people. Context.

ppentertainments
01-02-2016, 07:17 PM

One track I have still never played :D

Excalibur
01-02-2016, 07:23 PM
One track I have still never played :D

Probably my most requested last song. There you go.:)

dicky
01-02-2016, 09:57 PM

Yes but and no but.....

No one else has mentioned this and it's specal signicance so maybe some of you would have to go and google it

So second to the a-for mentioned end of night tracks I have played.....out of 66 gigs I played last year on at least 10 I just had to end the night with

Dean Parish - I'm On My Way
Tobi Legend - Time Will Pass You By
Jimmy Radcliffe - Long After Tonight Is All Over

Those three tracks have a 'name' and are of massive significance to British modern music culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNYkblarggg

Keep the Faith
Rich

soundscapes
01-02-2016, 10:02 PM
Mastermixes Dirty Dancing megamix ( gives me 10 mins hands free to start packing away )
Erasure - give a little respect
Total eclipse of the heart
Communards - Don't leave me this way
Hermes House Band - Country Roads
Stars on 54 - If you could read my mind

But having said that it varies from crowd to crowd. Students for example usually get a tv theme tune like baywatch

Corabar Steve
01-02-2016, 10:08 PM
Say you're doing an 18th birthday party & you've been playing jiggy jiggy yah yah music all night.. then the time for last tune comes and you bosh ole Blue Eyes on the decks for them because you always play it at other functions. You'd rightly be surprised if you didn't get booed off. Context, people. Context.

Exactly. If I'm honest, I can't see why you'd even have a list of songs to choose from. Over the course of the last year, I've done weddings with a heavy slant towards Rock, Rock & Roll, Indie, Goth, & Ska (to list those that I can remember). How many of the tracks listed so far in this thread would be suitable for any of those? I wouldn't consider any of them except perhaps Queen for the Rock one, although I'm fairly sure I would've played that earlier in the night.

From memory I remember using Prince Buster - Enjoy Yourself to end the Ska one. Can't remember any of the others

ppentertainments
01-02-2016, 10:15 PM
Exactly. If I'm honest, I can't see why you'd even have a list of songs to choose from. Over the course of the last year, I've done weddings with a heavy slant towards Rock, Rock & Roll, Indie, Goth, & Ska (to list those that I can remember). How many of the tracks listed so far in this thread would be suitable for any of those? I wouldn't consider any of them except perhaps Queen for the Rock one, although I'm fairly sure I would've played that earlier in the night.

From memory I remember using Prince Buster - Enjoy Yourself to end the Ska one. Can't remember any of the others
I assumed it was just a general question, asking for suggestions on what we might 'generally' play at a standard disco.

cue the comments about every gig is different :D

ukpartydj
02-02-2016, 09:09 AM
I was thinking this. Is there still such a thing as an 'end of night track'? End with a song that gets 'em whooping, cheering and singing - there are one of two of those out there that covers that eventuality.

I'm guessing it's down to our individual styles! Unless requested I like to play a mix of slower / epic tracks for the last 3-4 tracks at the end. These tracks I would normally not play at any other time unless the mood needs resetting or if they clearly want it "right now"!

Why have a list seems a bit of a silly question? It's so much easier! So I'm doing a gothic wedding... having only ever done 2 gothic style weddings I might rack my brains for an end of the night track like I'm doing now and think of maybe: Cradle of filth - Nymphetamine or probably a better choice but not really gothic: Stone Sour - Through the glass... all I can think of at the moment... but if I had a list of 100 good end of the night tracks 5 of those tracks might be better ideas which I came across previously.

CRAZY K
04-02-2016, 02:27 PM
As most of my gigs are Barn dance, Line dance and Country and Western / AMERICAN Theme for some reason the only number to finish on is always Sweet Home Alabama .

Never fails.

Unless I get asked for Auld Lang Syne of course as per last Saturday.:rolleyes:

DeckstarDeluxe
05-02-2016, 10:55 AM
Try and avoid them but if the crowd have generally gone for the typical wedding songs then either "New York, New York" or "Never Forget". I never play Angels though!

Bit like Steve though it's always a gig by gig basis and rarely go for anything on this list. That said Green day "Time Of My Life" is a good choice particularly if they've liked the late 90 - mid 00's rock/indie stuff.

Prefab Sprouter
16-04-2018, 08:52 AM
In Ireland there is the "Holy Trinity" of end of night songs comprising of:

500 Miles - Proclaimers
Come on Eileen - Dexys
Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond

You play these and you'll have a full dance floor although its very cheesy and boring to boot. Other songs that have worked for me include Take That's Never Forget, New York/New York and Lulu - Shout. One of the most unusual requests I had for a wedding was to play The Universal by Blur. Bride and Groom both insisted upon it but they knew their crowd and the whole room sang the chorus with gusto. Great ending to a gig. But not one I'd consider doing at any old gig.

theoloyla
16-04-2018, 04:56 PM
Smoochers to finish: Van the Man "Have I Told You Lately" and Eric Clapton "Wonderful Tonight" which includes the lyric "It's time to go home now" and the lights up kick em out the door singing finale Vera Lynn "We'll Meet Again". Nothing and I mean NOTHING follows that. Job done.

sweetie
17-04-2018, 08:16 AM
Had a great reaction to QOTSA - No one knows on sunday night. Surprised even myself!

yourdj
17-04-2018, 06:41 PM
Smoochers to finish: Van the Man "Have I Told You Lately" and Eric Clapton "Wonderful Tonight" which includes the lyric "It's time to go home now" and the lights up kick em out the door singing finale Vera Lynn "We'll Meet Again". Nothing and I mean NOTHING follows that. Job done.

Fantastic track to drop in after a fake ending and 3 cheers etc!
They think its all over, the lights go down and BOOM!

I have always wanted to play Foo Fighters Breakout.
Any ACDC hit or something like 'I believe in a thing called love' is always a winner.

- Then hit them with the slow track. :)

cloudswiper
04-06-2019, 09:48 AM
Was asked for this the other night...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy9_lfjQopU
Obvious really but it went down well!