PDA

View Full Version : Customer wants to pay by credit card.

Excalibur
26-09-2017, 09:02 PM
But I don't take card payments. Can she simply " BACS" it to me from her credit card? Is there any other way of doing it? Or is the only workable option Paypal, and I stand the commission?

yourdj
26-09-2017, 09:25 PM
But I don't take card payments. Can she simply " BACS" it to me from her credit card? Is there any other way of doing it? Or is the only workable option Paypal, and I stand the commission?

I have used this in the past and got something else, which was better, but never used it and can't even remember its name?

https://selz.com

i think I would be tempted to use Paypal and charge them the commission fee (2-3% should cover it). You will find that they can suddenly come round and pay cash, send a cheque, go to a bank and do it, or spend about 30 seconds working out how to use online banking (which is the easiest thing I have ever come across).

If they actually have a PayPal account, then they can also send you money as a gift, but not sure on the legal implications (for a one off I don't see it as a massive issue). I have just done this for a set of microphones on Facebook, lets hope he send them LOL. :)

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Daryll
26-09-2017, 09:38 PM
I use this in the Taxi

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader
Works well , but you would need to pass on the transaction fee to the client

Retrodisco
26-09-2017, 09:46 PM
Square, Stripe, Sum Up will all do this nicely.

Pe7e
26-09-2017, 11:00 PM
If they actually have a PayPal account, then they can also send you money as a gift, but not sure on the legal implications (for a one off I don't see it as a massive issue). I have just done this for a set of microphones on Facebook, lets hope he send them LOL. :)

They don't need a PayPal account to send you a payment from a credit/debit card, but if its a business A/C you or I think they have, they can't do a family and friends commission free payment. A £70 transaction recently cost me just over £2.50 so it's not a real deterrent to taking a payment this way.

Imagine
26-09-2017, 11:10 PM
Personally I use PayPal. Yes, it's a hell of a hit to take as far as their fees go, but it's cheaper and less hassle than merchant accounts and the associated fees with those. Plus with PayPal, they don't HAVE to have a PayPal account (they can just be used as a transaction gateway).

As already mentioned, the cheapest (but slightly illegal) way is for them to just send a payment "as a friend or relation" to your email address (you'd need your own PayPal account of course for this to happen).

I don't do enough business on cards to warrant the cost or the time of setting up merchant accounts (99% of mine is done via BACS).

By the way, the passing on of the transaction fees will become illegal next year I'm afraid.

funkymook
27-09-2017, 12:27 AM
Personally I use PayPal. Yes, it's a hell of a hit to take as far as their fees go, but it's cheaper and less hassle than merchant accounts and the associated fees with those. Plus with PayPal, they don't HAVE to have a PayPal account (they can just be used as a transaction gateway).

As already mentioned, the cheapest (but slightly illegal) way is for them to just send a payment "as a friend or relation" to your email address (you'd need your own PayPal account of course for this to happen).

I don't do enough business on cards to warrant the cost or the time of setting up merchant accounts (99% of mine is done via BACS).

By the way, the passing on of the transaction fees will become illegal next year I'm afraid.

There’s a lot of discussion about suppliers asking for Friends and Family payments on the various FB wedding forums after people have been caught out by unscrupulous con artists with no avenue to reclaim anything from paypal that I really wouldn’t suggest it, for some it’s a massive danger signal and could lose you the booking (I certainly wouldn’t book any business who wanted me to pay like that). And if they’re not your friend or family then you shouldn’t consider it anyway.

yourdj
27-09-2017, 06:04 AM
They don't need a PayPal account to send you a payment from a credit/debit card

Yea, I use the button for my HDA group and people can pay by card if they want. The membership is £30 and I end up with £28.50. Miles easier, especially with subscription. :)

Marc J
27-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Stripe is easy to setup, no monthly fees and low transaction fees (1.4% + 20p).

Example with amount in URL: https://www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk/pay/200
Example with customer entered amount: https://www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk/pay/

Both of the above add the surcharge automatically, but that can be disabled. Hope you don't mind me uploading the demo to your site! It'd need a better quality logo IMHO...

All it needs is an account at Stripe, and a payment page on your site. They do insist on the page being hosted on a secure connection (SSL), which would be free if you wanted to use a LetsEncrypt cert (the examples above use this), but a paid cert is (IMHO) better when taking payments.

Payment is normally in your bank account in 7 days.

yourdj
27-09-2017, 09:48 AM
Stripe is easy to setup, no monthly fees and low transaction fees (1.4% + 20p).

I think it was something like this I looked at and signed up for.
I wanted something that would integrate with WP properly.

Excalibur
27-09-2017, 11:34 AM
For a one off, Paypal looks favourite, and take the hit. I've beeb looking to see if you can send money to a bank account from a credit card, but it's baffling. Even if they could, I think it gets treated as a cash withdrawal, so incurs higher fees.

Marc J
27-09-2017, 11:39 AM
I think it was something like this I looked at and signed up for.
I wanted something that would integrate with WP properly.

There are a few Stripe plugins for Wordpress. e.g. WP Simple Pay (https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/stripe/)

I've beeb looking to see if you can send money to a bank account from a credit card, but it's baffling. Even if they could, I think it gets treated as a cash withdrawal, so incurs higher fees.

But if you take a credit card payment (see post #9), it's a purchase on their card (not cash), and it's in your bank in 7 days.

ppentertainments
27-09-2017, 12:51 PM
I have started using PayPal for all my payments now, but would never suggest the 'friends and family' bit.

Yeah, the fees are high, but for me it is the ease of use, incorporating with DJI means people can pay anytime, and it makes accounting a lot easier. My accountant also reccomended PayPal because he says the assistance you get is far superior to most merchant accounts etc, plus everyone has heard of PayPal so I think it is trusted more than other unknown names out there.

rth_discos
27-09-2017, 01:34 PM
For a one off, Paypal looks favourite, and take the hit. I've beeb looking to see if you can send money to a bank account from a credit card, but it's baffling. Even if they could, I think it gets treated as a cash withdrawal, so incurs higher fees.

Any form of card (debit or credit card) requires "processing", and that's where the fees come in.
Don't forget, that credit card companies take on extra liability, so charges are higher.

Yes, there's a small fee associated with credit/debit card transactions, but remember, a credit card payment means someone can pay you who doesn't have the funds available in their bank account. I'd much rather offer this and enable them to book me (and me take a small hit on fees) then them not be able to book me and go with someone who does offer credit card payments.

Don't forget we're only a matter of months away from "credit card fees" being charged to consumers being banned, and the publicity for this will increase, so best to not do that any more.

And for PayPal, it's against their terms of service to charge the end client the fees PayPal charge you.

ckpr2
27-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Just be careful if you use paypal of a chargeback.
If they decide they didnt like something they could get paypal to retrieve their payment.

I had trouble with some equipment I bought via paypal and I got my money back in a few days.

Pe7e
27-09-2017, 06:35 PM
Just be careful if you use paypal of a chargeback.
If they decide they didnt like something they could get paypal to retrieve their payment.

That can happen with any credit card payment

ppentertainments
27-09-2017, 06:57 PM
That can happen with any credit card payment
Yeah, and PayPal resolution methods (apparently) are better than other merchant accounts, especially for businesses.

Excalibur
27-09-2017, 07:03 PM
But if you take a credit card payment (see post #9), it's a purchase on their card (not cash), and it's in your bank in 7 days.

Oops. :o:o:o:o I did a Toby. ( Didn't read everything. ) :) Thanks Marc, looks like I need to sign up to Stripe. I'll go and have a look.

Marc J
28-09-2017, 07:49 AM
Oops. :o:o:o:o I did a Toby. ( Didn't read everything. ) :) Thanks Marc, looks like I need to sign up to Stripe. I'll go and have a look.

I thought as much! You have mail ;)

ukpartydj
28-09-2017, 08:53 AM
I'm not sure I understand the point of removing the ability to charge the customer more for something that costs more. Maybe as it's an EU thing when brexit is sorted that rule will be no longer.

PayPal has a rule that says you cannot charge the customer fees already, which I've always thought is very odd.

Maybe I'll start charging a booking administration fee which is discounted when you pay BT.

Marc J
28-09-2017, 09:13 AM
I'm not sure I understand the point of removing the ability to charge the customer more for something that costs more. Maybe as it's an EU thing when brexit is sorted that rule will be no longer.

PayPal has a rule that says you cannot charge the customer fees already, which I've always thought is very odd.

Maybe I'll start charging a booking administration fee which is discounted when you pay BT.

It'll still be UK law after Brexit.

All that'll happen now is everyone pays the surcharge (i.e. prices go up), so those who always pay cash / BT will lose out. And finally a reason to offer a "discount for cash" without the suspicious looks you get as if you're a criminal / Jimmy Carr...

yourdj
01-10-2017, 08:45 AM
In a flash, i have just remembered what i signed up to. Looked good and it a big company: https://www.worldpayzinc.com

Considering i gave them my bank account details I should have remembered that sooner.

Excalibur
01-10-2017, 09:35 AM
In a flash, i have just remembered what i signed up to. Looked good and it a big company: https://www.worldpayzinc.com

I believe a certain DJ Store in Cumbria is on that system as well.

Considering i gave them my bank account details I should have remembered that sooner.
Toby, you're priceless! :)

Daryll
01-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Hi Toby , thats almost the same as the paypal card reader , its very good and fast , probably made by the same manufacturer

Daryll

yourdj
01-10-2017, 10:29 AM
Oops. :o:o:o:o I did a Toby. ( Didn't read everything. )

Pretty much the above. I have found a PayPal button easier and charge the fee. :)
I spent my first year using Paypal and looked at my fees, quickly moved to bank transfer as thats free.

Hi Toby , thats almost the same as the paypal card reader , its very good and fast , probably made by the same manufacturer

Daryll

Like the bank reader machines the Natwest one works with barclays), its just managed like a different bank would do it.

Excalibur
01-10-2017, 11:21 AM

yourdj
01-10-2017, 02:29 PM

Pretty much the above. I have found a PayPal button easier and charge the fee.
I spent my first year using Paypal and looked at my fees, quickly moved to bank transfer as thats free.

Excalibur
01-10-2017, 07:02 PM
OK Toby, well done. One nil to Toby. :o:o:o:o:o

Not only do I forget what I've done nowadays, but my PC is playing up on the internet.

DazzyD
03-10-2017, 07:16 PM
I have used this in the past and got something else, which was better, but never used it and can't even remember its name?

https://selz.com

i think I would be tempted to use Paypal and charge them the commission fee (2-3% should cover it). You will find that they can suddenly come round and pay cash, send a cheque, go to a bank and do it, or spend about 30 seconds working out how to use online banking (which is the easiest thing I have ever come across).

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

It's against PayPal's Terms Of Use to pass vendor fees on to the buyer. If you get caught you will have your account suspended meaning you won't have access to any funds stored in your PP account for a while.

Any form of card (debit or credit card) requires "processing", and that's where the fees come in.
Don't forget, that credit card companies take on extra liability, so charges are higher.

Yes, there's a small fee associated with credit/debit card transactions, but remember, a credit card payment means someone can pay you who doesn't have the funds available in their bank account. I'd much rather offer this and enable them to book me (and me take a small hit on fees) then them not be able to book me and go with someone who does offer credit card payments.

Don't forget we're only a matter of months away from "credit card fees" being charged to consumers being banned, and the publicity for this will increase, so best to not do that any more.

And for PayPal, it's against their terms of service to charge the end client the fees PayPal charge you.

CC surcharge fees are a slightly different concept but, in the interests of fairness to the consumer, I agree that they should be banned. Why should a client pay for you using a service which means you get paid easier? I've never understood that.

Yeah, and PayPal resolution methods (apparently) are better than other merchant accounts, especially for businesses.

PayPal can be slow in resolving issues but, in the banking world, card payment services can be much slower. It's not unheard of for a credit card company to take 6 months to sort a payment dispute. PayPal have a usual turnaround time of under 28 days.

The point of removing the CC surcharge (I believe it's already unlawful, as per some card issuers, to make a surcharge for debit card transactions). The reason being is that the use of the card payment service is a chargeable benefit to businesses. It is deemed unfair to make this a "specific" charge to the consumer. At the end of the day, all business charges are passed on to the customer via product/service costing but they are incorporated in per unit / per service prices. Making a separate charge to the consumer for a business service is frowned upon and, in some cases, illegal.

It'll still be UK law after Brexit.

All that'll happen now is everyone pays the surcharge (i.e. prices go up), so those who always pay cash / BT will lose out. And finally a reason to offer a "discount for cash" without the suspicious looks you get as if you're a criminal / Jimmy Carr...

Jimmy Carr! Love it! :D

Excalibur
07-08-2023, 05:24 PM
Bearing in mind I've just looked at my Stripe login in page, and decided I understand nuclear physics way better, is there any way I can request payment
in any form from a customer who I only have a mobile number for? Stop laughing at the back.

Helpful advice appreciated, thanks.

Hmmmm. It appears I can send a Paypal request to a mobile. Least worst option, if I get funds.

Imagine
07-08-2023, 08:10 PM
Bearing in mind I've just looked at my Stripe login in page, and decided I understand nuclear physics way better, is there any way I can request payment
in any form from a customer who I only have a mobile number for? Stop laughing at the back.

Helpful advice appreciated, thanks.

Hmmmm. It appears I can send a Paypal request to a mobile. Least worst option, if I get funds.

Bank transfer?

If you need walking through how to take payment over the phone on Stripe, give me a shout and I'll happily walk you through it. You can create a "payment link" from there which you can then text to the customer

Excalibur
07-08-2023, 10:13 PM
Bank transfer?

If you need walking through how to take payment over the phone on Stripe, give me a shout and I'll happily walk you through it. You can create a "payment link" from there which you can then text to the customer

Sent him BACS details at 1am when I got home. Offered Paypal by text, radio silence. Not looking promising.

Marc J
08-08-2023, 02:29 PM

Text them a link to https://www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk/pay/ :p

Or complete the first stage yourself then send them a link to the payment page, e.g.: -

https://www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk/pay/payment?eventdate=2023-08-05&amount=300

Doesn't really get any easier, they can pay by card, Google Pay, Apple Pay....:o

Excalibur
08-08-2023, 03:07 PM
Text them a link to https://www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk/pay/ :p

Or complete the first stage yourself then send them a link to the payment page, e.g.: -

https://www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk/pay/payment?eventdate=2023-08-05&amount=300

Doesn't really get any easier, they can pay by card, Google Pay, Apple Pay....:o

Thanks as always Marc, appreciated.

Excalibur
27-09-2023, 08:09 AM
Does anyone have knowledge or experience of TYL by Nat West (https://www.tylbynatwest.com/tap-to-pay)? Popped up on Facebook this morning, and since my disco account is with them, it appeals. Seems they tap their card on your phone, and away we go.

Edit: On first glance, it appears to be the answer to everything. Sadly, I worry when something seems too good to be true, as it often turns out to be.

rth_discos
27-09-2023, 09:59 AM
Does anyone have knowledge or experience of TYL by Nat West (https://www.tylbynatwest.com/tap-to-pay)? P

Edit: On first glance, it appears to be the answer to everything.

I have never needed to take an in person payment for a disco.

What situation are you looking for it to solve?

Worth noting that because this is contactless, and not Chip and Pin, the contactless limit of £100 will apply. Sid will be able to take full payment for the disco through it.

Marc J
27-09-2023, 10:11 AM
Seems they tap their card on your phone, and away we go.

As long as you have an iPhone!

Worth noting that because this is contactless, and not Chip and Pin, the contactless limit of £100 will apply. Sid will be able to take full payment for the disco through it.

Apple Pay / Google Pay would probably work, though, getting around the £100 limit if you had to?

rth_discos
27-09-2023, 10:31 AM

Apple Pay / Google Pay would probably work, though, getting around the £100 limit if you had to?

Or Android

And yes, good shout about the Google/Apple pay.

Whether a customer would want to process that sort of transaction through my own mobile phone I'm not sure...

Marc J
27-09-2023, 10:54 AM
Or Android
From what I read, the app to take payments on your phone is only available on iOS.

https://www.tylbynatwest.com/

EDIT: Oops, digging a little deeper https://www.tylbynatwest.com/tap-to-pay which says it is available for Android... they need to make that clearer, especially on their home page!

Marc J
27-09-2023, 11:23 AM
Whether a customer would want to process that sort of transaction through my own mobile phone I'm not sure...

A way around this... do it on entirely on their phone! In Peter's case, on his phone browse to https://www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk/pay/qr and enter the details, that'll create a QR code, e.g.: -

Tell the customer to scan that using their phone - they can then pay by either putting their details in or via Apple / Google Pay, with no limits :p

That's done using Stripe as the payment gateway, and some custom coding by yours truly ;)

Excalibur
27-09-2023, 11:25 AM
I have never needed to take an in person payment for a disco.

What situation are you looking for it to solve?

How short memories some people have. The sad, sad story I told in Another Place of a gentleman of itinerant nature turning me and the venue over on a short notice function. The £100 limit would have been a problem, but if I'd even got that after all the work, it would have covered my diesel and a drink.

Iphone, check. Lucifer's had an advert out for years for heating engineers, since I got one. It works for Android too, yes the site is confusing, but if I ever go back to Android, it's a total certainty that Hades will be naught but glaciers!

rth_discos
27-09-2023, 12:23 PM
How short memories some people have. The sad, sad story I told in Another Place of a gentleman of itinerant nature turning me and the venue over on a short notice function. The £100 limit would have been a problem, but if I'd even got that after all the work, it would have covered my diesel and a drink.

I'm not sure this would have been the solution in that particular situation.

But that said, it's a free app, so no harm in setting it up so you have it to hand. You only pay per transaction taken.

But payment in advance is always the resolution for those issues!

I will say, for business accounts, Natwest are about the best value for money there is right now - especially as they also offer free access to the pretty decent Free Agent accountancy software, which can save quite a few pounds each month from not needing to purchase similar software elsewhere. And little things like this app just help very small businesses who don't process lots of transactions each day.

Excalibur
27-09-2023, 03:46 PM
But payment in advance is always the resolution for those issues!

In the case quoted, it could have resulted in a free ride in an ambulance!