PDA

View Full Version : cheap webhosting any ideas ?

dj-jaym
17-11-2006, 01:11 PM
After some cheap web hosting, From a reliable company not a one man band trading out a house or something like that.

Any suggestions ?

want full cpanel and fantastico

Shaun
17-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Check out.. http://www.yourinternetstore.co.uk/

The company is owned by the MDD's webmaster.

colinm345
17-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Here you are then try this
http://www.electroniques.co.uk/

This is joint owned between me and three associates

groovy-nights
17-11-2006, 02:29 PM
i use www.freeola.net not had any probs

dj-jaym
17-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Check out.. http://www.yourinternetstore.co.uk/

The company is owned by the MDD's webmaster.

isnt that traded from a residentail address tho ?

dj-jaym
17-11-2006, 03:09 PM

is this residentail based or corporate office ?

Corabar Steve
17-11-2006, 03:10 PM

You're looking well on the homepage Colin.

Corabar Steve
17-11-2006, 03:11 PM
is this residentail based or corporate office ?

I would've thought it was corperate in those tower blocks

dj-jaym
17-11-2006, 03:14 PM
im not being funny, but i traded with a web host before who told me he was reliable etc then found out he traded from home on a resller package and he went bust very shortly after, which is why im after a proper hosting company

dj-jaym
17-11-2006, 03:15 PM

i mean the people that run it not the orientation of the site

colinm345
17-11-2006, 03:16 PM

LOL:)

dj-jaym
17-11-2006, 03:18 PM
LOL:)

so collin, what SLA do you offer ? what backbones are you on ? whats your uptime ? whats your uptime gaurantees ? whats your downtime compensation ?

colinm345
17-11-2006, 03:20 PM
im not being funny, but i traded with a web host before who told me he was reliable etc then found out he traded from home on a resller package and he went bust very shortly after, which is why im after a proper hosting company
To the best of my knowledge Yourinternetstore is an office in a residential property and so is Electroniqes

This should not deter you as there seems to be a tendancy to work from home anyway both companies are of a sound pedigree:)

Electroniques is a Pipex reseller who has Uk based servers in Manchester and The London Docklands added to this our prices per package are more than resonable

dj-jaym
17-11-2006, 03:21 PM
To the best of my knowledge Yourinternetstore is an office in a residential property and so is Electroniqes

This should not deter you as both companies are of a sound pedigree:)

collin is your company a registered company ?

colinm345
17-11-2006, 03:39 PM

Our company is a subsidiary of our other registered companies
I presume that SLA means Service Level Agreement this does not appear to be a problem as Pipex appear to offer 100% uptime,but as things are of a technical nature I would be a fool to guarantee this as anyone would
Btw we can also use ASP:)

dj-jaym
17-11-2006, 03:42 PM
I presume that SLA means Service Level Agreement this does not appear to be a problem as Pipex appear to offer 100% uptime,but as things are of a technical nature I would be a fool to guarantee this as anyone would

Whats kind of price do you offer ?

Thames Valley Discos
17-11-2006, 03:43 PM
After some cheap web hosting, From a reliable company not a one man band trading out a house or something like that.

Any suggestions ?

want full cpanel and fantastico

www.ukreg.co.uk

colinm345
17-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Whats kind of price do you offer ?

The prices on our website:)

colinm345
17-11-2006, 04:48 PM

As you thinking we live above or below Dell boys flat in Peckham?

Shame on you:p :) :) :) :)

CRAZY K
17-11-2006, 04:49 PM
If you want a big International Company try http://www.clara.net

I have used them and they are good--but as I have found out recently dont support Microsoft Front Page extensions which for me is a pain--unless I pay more money.

I cant use responder type forms unless I shell out more money--but Richie is solving the problem--hopefully!

CRAZY K

colinm345
17-11-2006, 04:59 PM
If you want a big International Company try http://www.clara.net

I have used them and they are good--but as I have found out recently dont support Microsoft Front Page extensions which for me is a pain--unless I pay more money.

I cant use responder type forms unless I shell out more money--but Richie is solving the problem--hopefully!

CRAZY K

You are right Alan big is not always best:)

Jiggles
17-11-2006, 05:34 PM
www.awardspace.com :D :D :D :D :D freeeeeee PHP!!!!

A1DL
17-11-2006, 06:34 PM

:confused:

Let's put DJ-JayM's question another way:

What is the Company Registration Number of either Electroniques, or the Company who uses "Electroniques" as it's trading name?

colinm345
17-11-2006, 07:48 PM
:confused:

Let's put DJ-JayM's question another way:

What is the Company Registration Number of either Electroniques, or the Company who uses "Electroniques" as it's trading name?

Seems like 20 questions 2 me ,suffice to say Electrniques is a joint venture company owned by Electro Entertainments,Reemicks,and starmaker2000,all of whom are registered

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Seems like 20 questions 2 me ,suffice to say Electrniques is a joint venture company owned by Electro Entertainments,Reemicks,and starmaker2000,all of whom are registered

I think what Tony was getting it, and what JayM wanted to know was is it a registered company, rather then registered for tax purposes.

A1DL
17-11-2006, 09:12 PM
I think what Tony was getting it, and what JayM wanted to know was is it a registered company, rather then registered for tax purposes.

spot on Daz, exactly what I was asking.

it's worrying that nowadays anyone can resell web hosting and telecommunications.

our bad experience went like this:

about 5 years ago we ported our freephone from BT to a company called Telemark. all was well and good for the first 2½ years, until they were selling more freephone numbers than they had bandwidth (or whatever the tech term is) for. The result was a delay of up to 12 seconds between the caller dialing the last digit and the phone ringing here.

During the first 2½ years or so we saved about £1,500 per annum on call costs, HOWEVER when it all went Pete Tong, our call volumes dropped to about 17% of the average run rate for nearly SIX WEEKS whilst we got the number ported back to good old BT.

It turned out that "Telemark" was a shoestring operation, run by 2 women from one of their front rooms :eek:

Coming back to selling web hosting, a little googling shows there are thousands of small timers doing this, probably "on the side" whilst working in Maplins or McDonalds ;) .

The service may be cheap, but do you trust your business to them, when the going gets tough do they simply blame the company they are buying bulk hosting from, or do they take ownership of the problem?

So JayM is absolutely right to be cautious.

Stick with the big names, BT, Demon, etc - you'll pay a little more but if you pay peanuts.......

colinm345
17-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Yes A1DL we are registered and I do not care for your tone

Admin can you please step in and Stop A1dl making insulting comments like this please

A1DL
17-11-2006, 10:05 PM

Admin can you please step in and Stop A1dl making insulting comments like this please

Colin

calm down my friend, read the post again - there are no insulting comments directed at anybody.

I have given a real example of a situation we experienced, and highlighted the prudence in checking out the thoroughbred of a company before purchasing telecoms or web hosting.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-11-2006, 10:07 PM

Colin

As far as I can see, this wasn't aimed at you, but smaller unprofessional companies, as he has been burnt before by one.

However, Tony, please try not to tar everyone with the same brush, as I'm sure there are lots of small independant companies who are very professional and look after their customers.

colinm345
17-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Well sorry I find it in very very bad taste,and very unbusinesslike

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Well sorry I find it in very very bad taste,and very unbusinesslike

I'm not quite sure why?

People post on forums all the time about bad experiences with companies to warn others of not falling into the same trap.

As Tony said his post was not aimed at you.

If you are going to offer services on here, then you have to be accountable to people surely?

A1DL
17-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Daz / Angela

I thought my post would be genuinely useful to forum members, as it was based on a REAL experience that cost us a lot of lost sales and profit at the time.

Please accept my apologies if my post rocked the boat, or hit an exposed & tender nerve, hopefully those reading this will read the whole thread and draw their own conclusions.

Tony

colinm345
17-11-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm not quite sure why?

People post on forums all the time about bad experiences with companies to warn others of not falling into the same trap.

As Tony said his post was not aimed at you.

If you are going to offer services on here, then you have to be accountable to people surely?

Of course I am accountable ,but I tried to help a member on here by offering our services and i feel like have been hauled though an almost 1st degree murder enquiry
Added to that Tonys last post advised the member to steer clear and stick to the big boys

I will never ever advertise or sell any product or service unless it is first class

colinm345
17-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Daz / Angela

I thought my post would be genuinely useful to forum members, as it was based on a REAL experience that cost us a lot of lost sales and profit at the time.

Please accept my apologies if my post rocked the boat, or hit an exposed & tender nerve, hopefully those reading this will read the whole thread and draw their own conclusions.

Tony

Hit an exposed or tender nerve ,so what are you implying now

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Of course I am accountable ,but I tried to help a member on here by offering our services and i feel like have been hauled though an almost 1st degree murder enquiry
Added to that Tonys last post advised the member to steer clear and stick to the big boys

I will never ever advertise or sell any product or service unless it is first class

That's fair enough Colin, but I wouldn't exactly say that you are 'helping a member' by offering your services!:p

colinm345
17-11-2006, 10:30 PM
I thought we were friends here and I try to help whehever possible whether its for money or not:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-11-2006, 10:31 PM
I thought we were friends here and I try to help whehever possible whether its for money or not:)

Appreciated Colin, but when you are selling something to someone, you aren't really helping them out unless you are doing it for free!!;)

colinm345
17-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Dont quite understand that Daz

I bet you like to think you are helping someone out by supplying someone a better disco than the next man,do you not

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Dont quite understand that Daz

I bet you like to think you are helping someone out by supplying someone a better disco than the next man,do you not

Err, no, not really.

I am providing a professional paid for service, not helping someone out.

If I was helping someone out, it would be a favour, and I wouldn't be charging for it.

Personal opinion obviously, but I think there is a big difference.

colinm345
17-11-2006, 10:46 PM
It is a personal opinion agreed ,it depends how it is defined though how many times have friends come on the phone and said can you help me out as I need to cover this show at short notice?

I bet a pound to a penny you will try and help them out?

BeerFunk
17-11-2006, 10:47 PM
If I could just add my 2 cents here, after reading the rest of the thread...

I can see where Colin is coming from, and I can see why he thinks he is being attacked/interrogated. I also know he is an honest guy, and I believe that he is offering a service which he knows will benefit people.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-11-2006, 10:59 PM
It is a personal opinion agreed ,it depends how it is defined though how many times have friends come on the phone and said can you help me out as I need to cover this show at short notice?

I bet a pound to a penny you will try and help them out?

Agreed, but that is not what we are talking about here.

You are offering a service to people which they pay money for. There's no favours, no discounts, just a paid service being offered.

colinm345
17-11-2006, 11:14 PM
Agreed, but that is not what we are talking about here.

Err yes we are as we are splitting hairs somewhat on the definitions of the word help:)

You are offering a service to people which they pay money for. There's no favours, no discounts, just a paid service being offered.

Who says I dont give favours and discounts from time to time ??

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

colinm345
17-11-2006, 11:16 PM
If I could just add my 2 cents here, after reading the rest of the thread...

I can see where Colin is coming from, and I can see why he thinks he is being attacked/interrogated. I also know he is an honest guy, and I believe that he is offering a service which he knows will benefit people.

Thanks mate

Richie
18-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Yes, our postal office is a residential address as this is where we work from in a converted area of the house for an office.

Here is a pic of the converted room.

colinm345
18-11-2006, 05:38 PM
:D :D :D :D

Suit Wolfie that he is nearly always on the loo when you phone him:)

Btw Richie Electrics and water make bad companions

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-11-2006, 12:39 AM
:D :D :D :D

Suit Wolfie that he is nearly always on the loo when you phone him:)

That's what he tells you....:D ;)

pulsemobiledisco
19-11-2006, 12:48 AM
Yes, our postal office is a residential address as this is where we work from in a converted area of the house for an office.

Here is a pic of the converted room.

I can highly recomend Richie's company, Your Internet Store. I have previously been with two of the big hosting companies, website was reguarly down for short periods and customer service was very poor.

I them moved my site to Your Internet Store, very very reliable and Richie offers excellent customer service and tech support, very reasonably priced too. Can not fault him.

colinm345
20-11-2006, 01:39 PM
That's what he tells you....:D ;)

Wrong Daz,thats what Pauline tells me:p :D :D :D :D

I can highly recomend Richie's company, Your Internet Store. I have previously been with two of the big hosting companies, website was reguarly down for short periods and customer service was very poor.

I them moved my site to Your Internet Store, very very reliable and Richie offers excellent customer service and tech support, very reasonably priced too. Can not fault him.

Yes Richie & Your Internet Store are good:)

soundtracker
20-11-2006, 05:25 PM
I'm also with Richie, he's a top guy, and I have nothing but praise for his operation. Extremely competitive, easy to use and totally reliable.

colinm345
20-11-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm also with Richie, he's a top guy, and I have nothing but praise for his operation. Extremely competitive, easy to use and totally reliable.

Could not agree more,but so are we,whatever anyone says:)

A1DL
20-11-2006, 05:31 PM
and so are BT and Demon.

the freedom of choice :)

colinm345
20-11-2006, 05:34 PM
and so are BT and Demon.

the freedom of choice :)

And your point is??

A1DL
20-11-2006, 05:42 PM
And your point is??

exactly what I have said - "the freedom of choice"

i.e. it is great to have the freedom of choice as opposed to the industry being monopolised by one or two big players.

I trust this clarifies my point (which was self explanatory :rolleyes: )

colinm345
20-11-2006, 05:46 PM
exactly what I have said - "the freedom of choice"

i.e. it is great to have the freedom of choice as opposed to the industry being monopolised by one or two big players.

I trust this clarifies my point (which was self explanatory :rolleyes: )

Self explanatory I think not

Freedom of choice I agree on that one:)

Corabar Steve
20-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Now now children, play nicely or Uncle Steve will get delete happy :D

soundtracker
20-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Could not agree more,but so are we,whatever anyone says:)

What was that about self-praise?:D :D :D :D

kilmeedyman
20-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Ok, with my 'other' hat on, I have for a few years now been recommending uk2.net to my clients for hosting - the servers are very fast, very secure and I can't remember when they were last down.

Oh, and their prices are very competitive.

colinm345
21-11-2006, 07:52 AM
What was that about self-praise?:D :D :D :D

Hi Pete

Err self praise is no recommendation??????????:D :D :D :D

No but seriously we are honest guys trying to make an honest living by providing a quality service

It is for people to make their own minds up:) :) :)

LeapCreative
22-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Sorry to interupt the argument guys, just thought i'd chip in with a couple of comments. I've personally been involved with 2 web hosts, one of which being Rackspace (one of the most well-respected dedicated server suppliers on the planet) so i might be some help here:

The best host i could reccomend for a shared hosting package, is www.clook.net

Best service, any support requests are usually answered within 10 or 15 mins, and i can honestly say i've never heard a bad word said about them. For more reccomendations, visit: www.webhostingtalk.com and do a search on them.

Oh, and by the way, im nothing to do with their operation, im just a happy customer of many many years.

Cheers :)

dj-jaym
22-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Ok well after choosing through all the options,

ive gone for renting me own server, and reselling,

to make a bit of cash myself

colinm345
22-11-2006, 04:42 PM

Great Idea

I'm just glad you are happy:)

dj-jaym
22-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Great Idea

I'm just glad you are happy:)

well you did inspire me collin actualy i saw the electronique website and thought yeah looks pretty smart,

then thought about own server, and thought nah would cost to much to get a site like yours,

then me mate told me there easy just a php turnkey site and its all up dandy

Corabar Entertainment
22-11-2006, 05:00 PM
:confused: :confused: Jaym.... why have you suddenly started using 'me' instead of 'my' in all your posts today?????? Makes it harder to read! :eek:

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-11-2006, 05:22 PM

So, if you are reselling, you'll be getting an office and setting up a proper business as you mentioned to others earlier?

colinm345
22-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Im sure he would just like Richies Yourinternet Store,and us:D

well you did inspire me collin actualy i saw the electronique website and thought yeah looks pretty smart,

then thought about own server, and thought nah would cost to much to get a site like yours,

then me mate told me there easy just a php turnkey site and its all up dandy

Well thank you for your remarks,most kind:o:):)

dj-jaym
22-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Im sure he would just like Richies Yourinternet Store,and us:D

Well thank you for your remarks,most kind:o:):)

no offence meant collin if my mate hadnt told me i would have actualy signed up with you

So, if you are reselling, you'll be getting an office and setting up a proper business as you mentioned to others earlier?

Solitaire yes that is on the cards, the office would be a base for alot of our business intrests, Including the soon to be launched agency

:confused: :confused: Jaym.... why have you suddenly started using 'me' instead of 'my' in all your posts today?????? Makes it harder to read! :eek:

no idea angela appoligies

Corabar Steve
22-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Last 3 posts merged

PLEASE Use the Edit button when replying immediately to your own post.

EDIT: Or the multi quote buttons if replying to more than one post in the same thread

Discodaz
23-11-2006, 03:31 PM
My tuppence...

YourInternetStore have provided hosting for me for over a year now and I can't fault them.

The customer service is excellent and personal.

I'm done.

jetdiscos
10-12-2006, 03:48 PM
As a off shoot from my disco company i also run a small, but reliable hosting company. I host any size sites, for cheap prices. Check us out here Link removed until further posts are made (this is not a free ads site)/ (http://www./) (temp site, being upgraded soon)

I am currently hosting sites such as
Charities: youngpeopleoftheyear.org
Businesses: fleetstreetflairpr.co.uk
Personal sites: thomaswright.co.uk
etc

Check us out! :beer1:

Jamie

Jamie Everington

Shaun
12-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Feel free to introduce yourself in the "newbies" section of the forum Jamie!.

Shaun
22-12-2006, 12:37 PM

Just out of curiousity...what happened to this site?. It no longer appears to be there?.