PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Balls!

Ricesnaps
19-11-2006, 05:32 PM
OK, had a slight change last night. Took my pro-light tri truss stand and hd a little play - using a spare bit of tube, attached at right angles to to top bar and hung my mirror ball so it hung to the rear of my goalpost (will give pro-light a call, bet they will be well impressed with that! lol!). Pinspots on rear underside of the truss, chased - looked great!

However, There wasn't a great output from my 20cm ball - or not quite what I had expected. Is there something better than a pin spot to use - not looking to buy par cans really - too big, too bright. Or do I need a bigger ball. I was thinking of upgrading the ball anyway. Even so, a mirror ball behind the rig did look very cool!

Paul James Promotions
19-11-2006, 05:39 PM
I would say you need to upgrade both, the ball being 1st priority. For a light source, you could use a single Par 56 can with a narrow beam lamp, wouldn't take up to much space, and should work quite well.

Ricesnaps
19-11-2006, 05:44 PM
I would say you need to upgrade both, the ball being 1st priority. For a light source, you could use a single Par 56 can with a narrow beam lamp, wouldn't take up to much space, and should work quite well.
Thanks for that, what size ball (as a minimum) would you suggest.

I also like to chase the pins on the ball, so would want to maintain that - four Par 56 cans would probably be overkill!

Paul James Promotions
19-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Around 500 - 600mm

Ricesnaps
19-11-2006, 05:51 PM
so a 40cm one would be a tad too small?

Dragonfly
19-11-2006, 05:59 PM
rice what about investing in one of these??

http://lightingdimensions.com/projects/Blackpool3.JPG

Paul James Promotions
19-11-2006, 06:18 PM
I'd rather have the Robe 1200 watt moving heads that are lighting it up! :)

Jiggles
19-11-2006, 06:19 PM
I'd rather have the Robe 1200 watt moving heads that are lighting it up! :)

Me to :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Dragonfly
19-11-2006, 06:21 PM
and give your audience laser eye treatment at the same time lolol

Corabar Entertainment
19-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Has anybody who uses a mirror ball in their set up got any piccies?

I just don't see how you can really get a good effect with a mirror ball with a mobile rig (as opposed to having it installed in the middle of the room) and so would be very interested to see the effect in action.

Ta! :D

Dragonfly
19-11-2006, 06:30 PM
im considering a mirrorball few venues ive been to have had them and in my old age i think its quite a nice room filling gentle audience friendly effect.

can visualize it working on a trilite rig hung in the middle with spots either side.

NeilP
19-11-2006, 07:23 PM
I use one in a very similar fashion as Rice. T-Bar hanging off top of Tri-lite with the Ball hanging off a battery motor so it hangs below the rig, with two Par 36's shining on it. Often use different Gells to give it colour when needed ie. Red for Valentines, used blue and white recently for an Engagement Party with Ice White as the theme recently as well.

As Dragon says, makes a nice simple effect - great for First Dance or Slowies when all you want is something simple.

Don't have a picture to hand i think ..... I'll have a look.

Ricesnaps
19-11-2006, 07:53 PM
I use one in a very similar fashion as Rice. T-Bar hanging off top of Tri-lite with the Ball hanging off a battery motor so it hangs below the rig, with two Par 36's shining on it. Often use different Gells to give it colour when needed ie. Red for Valentines, used blue and white recently for an Engagement Party with Ice White as the theme recently as well.

As Dragon says, makes a nice simple effect - great for First Dance or Slowies when all you want is something simple.

Don't have a picture to hand i think ..... I'll have a look.
well I went with four pins, all different colours. Chaser can be set to 2 + 2 chase whoch was quite good - deffinatel getting a bigger one.

by the way, looks quite spectacular with smoke!

Paul James Promotions
19-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Has anybody who uses a mirror ball in their set up got any piccies?

I just don't see how you can really get a good effect with a mirror ball with a mobile rig (as opposed to having it installed in the middle of the room) and so would be very interested to see the effect in action.

Ta! :D

Not the best, but the only one i could find....

Corabar Entertainment
19-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks Jamie - you see, that's what I was afraid of..... plenty behind and not much out in front.....:( :(

Paul James Promotions
19-11-2006, 11:45 PM
With a good light source, positioned correctly, the beams will project all round the room. I will try and find a more useful photo.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Thanks Jamie - you see, that's what I was afraid of..... plenty behind and not much out in front.....:( :(

There's a joke there somewhere...:D

Corabar Entertainment
20-11-2006, 12:09 AM
:lol:

Ricesnaps
20-11-2006, 05:50 AM
Ah now that's not quite what I did. Jamie has the ball hanging from the crossbar - I put a bar at right angles and hung it behind the crossbar - so all the light was indeed out front!

wensleydale
20-11-2006, 08:57 AM
i use a 30-40cm one on the usual t bar and position the tbar behind the speaker stands- then clamp 2 pinspots onto the speaker stands and you can get the correct angle.
alternatively when I use the giant mirror ball we try and put it in a big venue where you can spread things out (eg with a stage) then you can just put the spots on the floor and point them up from in front- will see if I have any photos but if you get it right it gives massive coverage for what has been writeen offf as an out of date effect.

Dragonfly
20-11-2006, 09:11 AM
i use a 30-409cm one .

oh my god thats over 4m wide :D :D :D :D