PDA

View Full Version : Feedback Required - Services Offered

Marc J
04-12-2019, 11:46 AM
I'm considering adding a services offered feature to the directory. This will be via check-boxes in your DJ account, and will be listed in your profile.

In region / county / town listings, there would also be a filter feature which, as well as the services, include PAT, PLI and ProDub options as well, e.g: -

PAT
PLI
ProDub
Karaoke
Dancefloors
Silent Disco
Photobooth

etc. etc... And, obviously, visitors would tick these and they would show / hide listings accordingly.

My questions are: -

Is this a good idea? And if so...
I'd need a comprehensive list of features - list them here if you can (not just yours, what you think the list should include).

ppentertainments
04-12-2019, 04:15 PM
I'm considering adding a services offered feature to the directory. This will be via check-boxes in your DJ account, and will be listed in your profile.

In region / county / town listings, there would also be a filter feature which, as well as the services, include PAT, PLI and ProDub options as well, e.g: -

PAT
PLI
ProDub
Karaoke
Dancefloors
Silent Disco
Photobooth

etc. etc... And, obviously, visitors would tick these and they would show / hide listings accordingly.

My questions are: -

Is this a good idea? And if so...
I'd need a comprehensive list of features - list them here if you can (not just yours, what you think the list should include).

Can we NOT include ProDub :please:
Either people don't have it and most that say they do, don't. Such a grey area

Excalibur
04-12-2019, 04:56 PM
Can we NOT include ProDub :please:
Either people don't have it and most that say they do, don't. Such a grey area

Grey? Grey? What, you mean like an elephant going on holiday on a battleship in thick fog?:whistle:

Marc J
04-12-2019, 05:40 PM
A quick search on the ProDub website can validate any false claims?

I wasn't sure about ProDub, to be honest. The re-launch of the directory has a "scoring" system where higher scoring listings are shown higher in the listings. PAT and PLI are 2 points each, and I've made ProDub only 1 point. The thinking behind this is that many claim not to need ProDub.

So a listing with PAT & PLI (4 points) will be above a listing with, for example, PAT & ProDub (3 points).

Anyway, ProDub can be removed later if there's enough not wanting it! Back to the original question, though???....

Excalibur
04-12-2019, 09:03 PM
Back to the original question, though???....

There was a question? :confused: Better go back, have a look, and try to be sensible. Harrumph. :(

If you can add categories without unduly increasing admin workload, ie most of it being automatic, ( Tickboxes?) then yes, it must appear to be useful. Let's say somebody wants disco and karaoke, then it saves them contacting six DJs who don't offer it. That's the theory.

OK, a list of features ( but once started, where do we stop?):
Functions- 18ths, Weddings, Corporate.
Ages catered for- Under 11, 18ths, 50th, etc. This could perhaps be incorporated into Functions. :confused:
Photobooths, Dancefloors, Silent Disco, Karaoke, as said above.
PA hire, Equipment hire.

That's me out of categories. :shrug:

Marc J
04-12-2019, 09:12 PM
If you can add categories without unduly increasing admin workload, ie most of it being automatic, ( Tickboxes?) then yes, it must appear to be useful.

While adding to them later is possible, I'd prefer to get it right first time. Thanks for your input :beer1:

ppentertainments
05-12-2019, 10:42 AM
There was a question? :confused: Better go back, have a look, and try to be sensible. Harrumph. :(

If you can add categories without unduly increasing admin workload, ie most of it being automatic, ( Tickboxes?) then yes, it must appear to be useful. Let's say somebody wants disco and karaoke, then it saves them contacting six DJs who don't offer it. That's the theory.

OK, a list of features ( but once started, where do we stop?):
Functions- 18ths, Weddings, Corporate.
Ages catered for- Under 11, 18ths, 50th, etc. This could perhaps be incorporated into Functions. :confused:
Photobooths, Dancefloors, Silent Disco, Karaoke, as said above.
PA hire, Equipment hire.

That's me out of categories. :shrug:

I am going to put in my usual objection to Photobooths as I still can't for the life of me work out why they are related to DJs. (Personal opinion)

Excalibur
05-12-2019, 11:18 AM
I am going to put in my usual objection to Photobooths as I still can't for the life of me work out why they are related to DJs. (Personal opinion)

Well if we're going along that route, I'd say that the only other disco related add on is Karaoke, as it uses the disco gear. Even uplighting is venue decoration.

Another one Marc- uplighting/ mood lighting.

Marc J
05-12-2019, 02:12 PM
OK, keep them coming, so far we have, as filterable criteria: -

PAT
PLI
ProDub
Karaoke
Dancefloor Hire
Silent Disco
Photobooth
Kids Discos
School Proms
Wedding Discos
Corporate Functions
Quiz Nights
PA Hire
Uplighting / Mood Lighting
Sweet Carts
Giant Party Games
Magic Mirrors
Illuminated LOVE Letters

?

ppentertainments
05-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Master of Ceremonies
Starcloths
Bongo Bingo ?

Marc J
05-12-2019, 07:16 PM
Master of Ceremonies
Starcloths
Bongo Bingo ?

My spidey-sense™ tells me that you're not 100% serious for at least one of those ;)

Imagine
05-12-2019, 07:55 PM
My spidey-sense™ tells me that you're not 100% serious for at least one of those ;)

They all look legit to me

Benny Smyth
05-12-2019, 08:39 PM
They all look legit to me

Marc, Wayne is lying. Nobody has ever made a cloth from stars.

mattydj50
05-12-2019, 10:10 PM
Marc, Wayne is lying. Nobody has ever made a cloth from stars.

Or a booth from photos.

Grey? Grey? What, you mean like an elephant going on holiday on a battleship in thick fog?:whistle:

Photographed in black and white.

Produb is not something that is necessarily needed anyway. I don't have it as I am still in the dark ages playing only CD's, so would I be marked down because I didn't have Produb when, for me, it is irrelevant.

Excalibur
06-12-2019, 05:59 AM
Produb is not something that is necessarily needed anyway. I don't have it as I am still in the dark ages playing only CD's, so would I be marked down because I didn't have Produb when, for me, it is irrelevant.

As we all know, because we are fully conversant with all the intricacies and minutiae of the P-word licence, in theory you would not be marked down, as you could/would/should have your own little category of Produb Exempt. Whether you think that equates to someone walking in front of you ringing a bell, and shouting " Unclean, unclean" :whistle: ...................................

Now to be really serious, while many of us proclaim the legality of our enterprises because we are " fully legal, with PAT and PLI", neither of those are legal requirements, whereas if we are playing mp3/WAV/MP4/other formats are available with a laptop or HDD player, in almost all cases, we would need Produb to be legal. Just saying.

Blimey, this being serious is tiring. Think I'll go off and be whimsical somewhere :daft:

Marc J
06-12-2019, 11:45 AM

I'm aware of that, which is why I marked it down to 1 point rather than 2. But that still means that, all other things being equal, ProDub would score higher than no ProDub, which I agree is not entirely fair.

As we all know, because we are fully conversant with all the intricacies and minutiae of the P-word licence, in theory you would not be marked down, as you could/would/should have your own little category of Produb Exempt.

There is that option, or something like it. Similar to a SORN for you car tax ;)

So, in their listing, a DJ can tick a "not required" box for ProDub. This might then include them in listings filtered by "ProDub" with a disclaimer within their listing something like "Whilst they do not hold a ProDub license, this company has indicated that, due to their operating methods, it is not a legal requirement"... or words to that effect?

I'd need help on both the wording for the "self certification" checkbox on the DJ admin side, and the wording for the public-facing listing page, if that was an acceptable solution.

DJ Jules
06-12-2019, 12:51 PM
I'd need help on both the wording for the "self certification" checkbox on the DJ admin side, and the wording for the public-facing listing page, if that was an acceptable solution.

Just checked what needadisco do (as they've had a declaration option for ProDub for a long time). 5 fairly explicit options to opt out of Produb (depending on combined use of legal physical media and/or downloads) and virtually no mention of it on the public side of the site (except on Martin's listing).

I'm sure I'm going to get shot down for this, but the public don't get it and the recording industry don't really care about it any more (streaming has saved them so suing individuals who format shift is low on their list of priorities) so, unless you're going to base some kind of award on it (*cough* DJMark), I'd forget about mentioning it on any public site or directory. Awards, reviews, etc would seem to be more relevant?

Julian

Marc J
06-12-2019, 02:00 PM
The "Skype" field is used by less than 1% of listings - should it be dropped?

Perhaps in favour of a WhatsApp link instead, e.g. Click here to send an enquiry via WhatsApp (https://wa.me/15551234567?text=Hi%2C%20I%20found%20your%20listin g%20on%20the%20Mobile%20Disco%20Directory%2C%20and %20would%20be%20interested%20in%20your%20services. )

?

Excalibur
06-12-2019, 02:01 PM

That's got to be in the right area, well done that man.

J Awards, reviews, etc would seem to be more relevant?

Julian

Reviews yes, ( although we're back into someone vetting them, more work ) and some " awards" cough, cough ( lot of nasty coughs going round, lately :whistle: ) are , how can I best put it? :confused: Not universally accepted as being accurate indicators. ( And I won't say how many times I rewrote that )!

Marc J
06-12-2019, 02:18 PM
Reviews yes, ( although we're back into someone vetting them, more work )

I'm not up for building a reviews system into MDD, which would then be either open to abuse or require a lot of work to validate reviews.

I'd be up for incorporating Google Reviews. Google provides an API which will return the 5 "most helpful" reviews from a given Placeid (https://developers-dot-devsite-v2-prod.appspot.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/places-placeid-finder) - this Placeid would have to be entered by the DJ in their listing admin.

DJWilson
06-12-2019, 02:33 PM
Would a customer even know or ever heard of ProDub?

Venues have only ever asked for PLI and PAT so would ProDub just be a point scoring exercise?

Excalibur
06-12-2019, 06:51 PM
Would a customer even know or ever heard of ProDub?

Venues have only ever asked for PLI and PAT so would ProDub just be a point scoring exercise?

So many replies. :zip::)

Marc J
07-12-2019, 08:37 AM
Back on track....

Perhaps in favour of a WhatsApp link instead, e.g. Click here to send an enquiry via WhatsApp (https://api.whatsapp.com/send?phone=15551234567&text=Hi%2C%20I%20found%20your%20listing%20on%20the %20Mobile%20Disco%20Directory%2C%20and%20would%20b e%20interested%20in%20your%20services.)?

Excalibur
07-12-2019, 09:06 AM

Perhaps in favour of a WhatsApp link instead, e.g. Click here to send an enquiry via WhatsApp (https://api.whatsapp.com/send?phone=15551234567&text=Hi%2C%20I%20found%20your%20listing%20on%20the %20Mobile%20Disco%20Directory%2C%20and%20would%20b e%20interested%20in%20your%20services.)

?
Never used Skype, but WhatsApp is a Godsend. To show I'm not a complete technophobe, once upon a time, in a venue with 18" thick walls blocking a phone signal, I used venue WiFi to make a phone call via WhatsApp. :eek:

I'm not up for building a reviews system into MDD, which would then be either open to abuse or require a lot of work to validate reviews.

I'd be up for incorporating Google Reviews. Google provides an API which will return the 5 "most helpful" reviews from a given Placeid (https://developers-dot-devsite-v2-prod.appspot.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/places-placeid-finder) - this Placeid would have to be entered by the DJ in their listing admin.

And just to show I'm not a Technocrat either, Marc, I have absolutely no idea how what you've suggested has any bearing on my business. :daft: I don't think I'[ve got a google review. :confused:
I've got solid 5* reviews from Add To Event, and all I have to do with them is one click and I can share them on Facebook. That I can do.

Marc J
07-12-2019, 12:59 PM
Never used Skype, but WhatsApp is a Godsend. To show I'm not a complete technophobe, once upon a time, in a venue with 18" thick walls blocking a phone signal, I used venue WiFi to make a phone call via WhatsApp. :eek:

I think far more people use Whatsapp than ever used Skype. I think I'll swap them out, as I said less than 1% of listings have a Skype address entered. The WhatsApp link will rely on a valid WhatsApp enabled mobile phone number entered, in international format, i.e. 447771234567.

I have absolutely no idea how what you've suggested has any bearing on my business. :daft: I don't think I've got a google review. :confused:

It looks like you've claimed your listing in Google My Business (https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/business/). In the settings in there, you'll get a short URL (https://support.google.com/business/answer/9273900?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en-GB), and a link to give customers to make it easier for them to give you a review on Google. Google are really pushing this, and adding more features - for example, if you install the Google My Business app on your phone, and enable the option, you can be messaged by customers directly from your GMB listing (info here (https://support.google.com/business/answer/9114771?hl=en)).

You should always answer any Google reviews, even if it's just a "thanks", and always answer any questions that come in via GMB, as Google have said "engagement" could be a factor now or in future...

Excalibur
07-12-2019, 01:15 PM
It looks like you've claimed your listing in Google My Business (https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/business/).

You should always answer any Google reviews, even if it's just a "thanks", and always answer any questions that come in via GMB, as Google have said "engagement" could be a factor now or in future...

I've done a lot of things I don't understand. :daft: What a confusing place this modern world is for an old bloke. :confused:

Hmm, looks like I'd better start paying attention to yet another blasted social media outlet. Grr.

Marc J
08-12-2019, 01:24 PM
I've done a lot of things I don't understand. :daft: What a confusing place this modern world is for an old bloke. :confused:

If it helps, using this tool (https://developers-dot-devsite-v2-prod.appspot.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/places-placeid-finder), your Google My Business placeid seems to be ChIJo6vw9PHeeEgR4V3-Mok7cJU ;)

Marc J
09-12-2019, 09:22 AM
Peter, to take it a step further, this is the link you should be giving clients to leave you reviews on Google: -

https://search.google.com/local/writereview?placeid=ChIJo6vw9PHeeEgR4V3-Mok7cJU

How easy is that? What do you mean you want it easier???? OK...how about: -

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk/review

FYI done using an htaccess redirect, let whoever does your website know just in case they overwrite it by accident!

For anyone else reading....use the google URL above, replace the placeid parameter with your own placeid (find yours here (https://developers-dot-devsite-v2-prod.appspot.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/places-placeid-finder)) - job done. No excuse! :beer1:

Marc J
09-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Re the addition of filterable services, because this is an addition rather than a feature that's been there from the start, it's best if I add a service that all existing listings will be included in by default.

So, this would be "Mobile Disco" (given that it's the Mobile Disco Directory, that should be the bare minimum service offered!).

Meaning the full list I currently have is: -

PAT
PLI
ProDub
Mobile Disco (ticked in all listings by default, unable to deselect)
Karaoke
Silent Disco
Wedding Disco
Master of Ceremonies
Kids Disco
School Prom
Corporate Functions
Quiz Nights
Dancefloors
Uplighting / Mood Lighting
Dry Hire
PA Hire
Walk-Ins
Residencies
Photo Booth
Sweet Cart
LOVE Letters

Comments on additions / removals welcome!