PDA

View Full Version : Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but....

Imagine
07-11-2022, 09:23 PM
This is first for me and not quite sure which way to go on this one.

A neighbouring DJ messaged me this morning to say that there's an eBay listing appeared selling rustic DJ booths, and that mine, his, and several other DJ's booths appear in the photos for the service (somehow he's got hold of one of mine without a watermark....grrrrr)

The text on the listing says "The images used are to help provide inspiration to you own booth, I’m a time served joiner building bespoke for you."

Now as far as we're all concerned, it's taking the mickey more than just a little bit. We've spent time and money building and developing those booths for this eBay seller to give the impression he's turned them out himself.

We've all contacted the seller asking for the images to be removed, and we've all reported the listing to eBay (no response from either yet apart from one of the other DJ's got the response from the seller which said ‘did I make it as a one off or am I manufacturing them‘).

Any idea of where to go from here. It's a little jarring knowing someone else is trying to make money off the back of our own hard work :mad:

ppentertainments
07-11-2022, 09:35 PM
This is first for me and not quite sure which way to go on this one.

A neighbouring DJ messaged me this morning to say that there's an eBay listing appeared selling rustic DJ booths, and that mine, his, and several other DJ's booths appear in the photos for the service (somehow he's got hold of one of mine without a watermark....grrrrr)

The text on the listing says "The images used are to help provide inspiration to you own booth, I’m a time served joiner building bespoke for you."

Now as far as we're all concerned, it's taking the mickey more than just a little bit. We've spent time and money building and developing those booths for this eBay seller to give the impression he's turned them out himself.

We've all contacted the seller asking for the images to be removed, and we've all reported the listing to eBay (no response from either yet apart from one of the other DJ's got the response from the seller which said ‘did I make it as a one off or am I manufacturing them‘).

Any idea of where to go from here. It's a little jarring knowing someone else is trying to make money off the back of our own hard work :mad:

Does it REALLY affect you, your family, your business ??
If the answer is no I would ignore it and move on as if you look too much into it, you can really get dragged down.

I have had a MAJOR problem this year with DJs working for me posting photos etc of the weddings on their own social media pages and websites. Now, if they asked I would likely have said yes, however they have done it at venues which they know are my residencies and even had one where the bride put in a formal complaint lol, and no, the DJ didn't ask.

As well as this I have had people pinch my setup photos over the years, why I don't know as it is nothing special.

Few years ago I even had a local young DJ contact my Web Designer asking him to produce him a website that mirrored mine - thankfully as it is a bespoke design he refused.

But all this, apart from the odd thing doesn't really affect me so I just go with the flow, shows you are ahead of the game.

Imagine
08-11-2022, 01:16 AM
Does it REALLY affect you, your family, your business ??
If the answer is no I would ignore it and move on as if you look too much into it, you can really get dragged down.

In a way...yes. It boils my pee that someone is able to steal one of my images and pass it off as they're own after all the blood, sweat and tears that went into creating it. In this case, it's my basic rustic booth that's being copied and not the fancier one. All the same, I don't want every Sid and his mate using the same setup as I do...it's something that makes me different from the rest.

The others that are affected are being ripped off for much more bespoke booths (they're unique). Again, it's what sets them apart from anyone else.

Apart from anything else, it's the principle of it. Why should somebody else make money from OUR hard work?

rth_discos
08-11-2022, 10:44 AM
I agree with Chris on this - sadly it's one of those things best to not waste energy on as there's little you can achieve as an outcome.

It's very hard to remain "unique" - there will always be someone that copies something you do.

All you can do is keep innovating and staying ahead.

DeckstarDeluxe
08-11-2022, 12:28 PM
rustic DJ booths aren't that unique and there's plenty of people making them so while you spend time and energy pulling the ad down, they'll be plenty of others who offer to make them.

Benny Smyth
08-11-2022, 12:53 PM
I'm afraid that this is one of those things that you learn to live with.

When I'm snapping a wedding, I send the gallery to all the suppliers and say "If any of these photos help you sell what you do, then please use them. Just credit me." (paraphrase - obvs)

The amount of times I've spotted my photos getting used (particularly by venues), and not even a hint of a credit to me. It really piddled me off, but now I just think "Screw you - you're not on the mailing list next time."

Excalibur
08-11-2022, 04:56 PM
I have had a MAJOR problem this year with DJs working for me posting photos etc of the weddings on their own social media pages and websites. Now, if they asked I would likely have said yes, however they have done it at venues which they know are my residencies and even had one where the bride put in a formal complaint lol, and no, the DJ didn't ask.

Now here's a genuine question I don't know the etiquette for, and I can't remember how I treated you Chris. If I crossed the line, I apologise.
So, what's the procedure when covering a gig for someone? Do you say where you are, do you credit the person whose gig it is, or do you keep schtum? Can you use photos of the rig? The venue? If there is an accepted way of behaving, I'd like to know it.

It's very hard to remain "unique" - there will always be someone that copies something you do.

Baaaaaaa, baaaaaaa. :o

I'm afraid that this is one of those things that you learn to live with.

When I'm snapping a wedding, I send the gallery to all the suppliers and say "If any of these photos help you sell what you do, then please use them. Just credit me." (paraphrase - obvs)

The amount of times I've spotted my photos getting used (particularly by venues), and not even a hint of a credit to me. It really piddled me off, but now I just think "Screw you - you're not on the mailing list next time."
Again, credit where credit's due, eh Benny? Hadn't thought of that either, although no tog has ever sent me any happy snaps. :(

rth_discos
08-11-2022, 09:53 PM
So, what's the procedure when covering a gig for someone? Do you say where you are, do you credit the person whose gig it is, or do you keep schtum? Can you use photos of the rig? The venue? If there is an accepted way of behaving, I'd like to know it.

There is no mention at all from me of where I am/have been when doing work for an agent/someone else's gig.

Photos remain off social media, and I won't even mention the venue in my marketing.

DJ Jules
09-11-2022, 06:29 AM
There is no mention at all from me of where I am/have been when doing work for an agent/someone else's gig.

Photos remain off social media, and I won't even mention the venue in my marketing.

Where I've been given a contract when I've been working for others (pretty rare to be honest), I've been instructed to send any photos or videos taken to the company who have hired me who will decide what, if any, they will share.

To me this policy makes a lot of sense. When I'm working for others, I'm an employee (whether that's self employed or direct). I don't have a contract or a direct relationship with either the venue or the end customer so I have no idea about their wishes or what, contractually, my employer is allowed to do.

If I was working for in a 9 to 5 job I wouldn't take photos of my workplace and post them on social media advertising my own competing company, so why would I do anything different here?

Julian

rth_discos
09-11-2022, 08:25 AM
I've been instructed to send any photos or videos taken to the company who have hired me who will decide what, if any, they will share.

If they asked for them I'd be happy to supply the photos.

The main reason I take photos (especially at gigs for other people), is evidence of what the evening looked like. I try and take at least 1 photo per hour - if they come back making a claim like "no one danced all night", then at least I have photos of a busy dancefloor throughout the evening! It also proves I turned up, etc etc.

DJ Jules
09-11-2022, 08:43 AM
If they asked for them I'd be happy to supply the photos.

The main reason I take photos (especially at gigs for other people), is evidence of what the evening looked like. I try and take at least 1 photo per hour - if they come back making a claim like "no one danced all night", then at least I have photos of a busy dancefloor throughout the evening! It also proves I turned up, etc etc.

Yeah, I do the same, but I wouldn't share those on social media ;)

Julian

ppentertainments
09-11-2022, 08:40 PM
Now here's a genuine question I don't know the etiquette for, and I can't remember how I treated you Chris. If I crossed the line, I apologise.

No, you never crossed any line, just provided a superb service which I knew.

I think when working for others it should be a discussion between you and the person providing the booking ? I think that is fair but may be wrong.

Personally I would say 'yeah post away' UNLESS it was a resident venue or one I was recommended for. There are also other suppliers to consider too. I had a bit bother with a DJ who also provides dancefloors take a pic of a gig I passed to him, with another company (who I recommend and they recommend me), posted on social media as if it was all 'his booking'

The other consideration I always have is if I have more than one wedding a night I never post anything that night - one of my aims is every B&G feel like theirs in the only wedding I am doing that day, week, month and year - which many agree that they do have that feeling.

Mind you, I am one who is friendly with quite a few DJs and if I work in one of their recommended venues, even my own booking, I don't post it on social media and they do the same likewise.

DeckstarDeluxe
10-11-2022, 10:55 AM
I would never post on socials of me working at a venue on behalf of someone else unless I knew it was ok to do so.

I never usually do social media posts for whitelabel gigs but if I'm bored I'll take a close up of the setup and say "out working tonight" but no mention of venue and no way to ID the venue from the photo either.