PDA

View Full Version : Oasis

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Just been watching a documentry about them.

Do you thing they are over-rated?

Are they as good as they think they are or do they just rip off T Rex and Beatles tunes?

What do you think?

Danno13
25-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Well i was always more of a Blur fan but personally i loved oasis' first two albums.. but think they went downhill after that and became too samey. I did like "lyla" though, and obviously their "new" one as it was a b-side on an old single, can't remember which at the moment...

IMO one of the most overrated bands is U2 (can of worms...)

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-11-2006, 01:13 AM
Well i was always more of a Blur fan but personally i loved oasis' first two albums.. but think they went downhill after that and became too samey. I did like "lyla" though, and obviously their "new" one as it was a b-side on an old single, can't remember which at the moment...

IMO one of the most overrated bands is U2 (can of worms...)

Maybe not. I agree.:) :beer1:

Danno13
25-11-2006, 01:18 AM
Cool. By the way, i wanted to play "She's Electric" tonight, but turns out i haven't put my Oasis albums on the PC, so only have the singles from the NOWs. :(

(adds to list of jobs tommorow... actually, i have loads of old non-compilation albums that i've never thought to put on the PC, never know when you might need them though)

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-11-2006, 01:40 AM
Cool. By the way, i wanted to play "She's Electric" tonight, but turns out i haven't put my Oasis albums on the PC, so only have the singles from the NOWs. :(

(adds to list of jobs tommorow... actually, i have loads of old non-compilation albums that i've never thought to put on the PC, never know when you might need them though)

I hate to agree with you again Dan, but 'she's electric' is probably the Oasis tune I play the most mobile wise as it seems to be the most danceable tune they have done.

(By the way, nice piccys of you on another forum looking rather drunk shall we say):eek: :D :D :beer1:

Pierre Le Sound
25-11-2006, 10:53 AM
What do I think of Oasis?......I named my son, Liam!:D

ian8limelight
25-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Not much of an Oasis fan myself - prefer 'Midnight at the Oasis' by the Brand New Heavies.:eek: :p

soundtracker
25-11-2006, 11:27 AM
The karaoke Beatles

Paul James Promotions
25-11-2006, 11:43 AM
I personally hate Oasis.

Corabar Entertainment
25-11-2006, 12:35 PM
They've done some good stuff....... but definitely over-rated!

kilmeedyman
27-11-2006, 02:51 AM
Oasis - one of the best groups ever.

She's electric, Digsy's Diner - good stuff.
Champagne Supernova, Stand By Me, Stop Crying your heart out, Roll With it - great stuff.
Don't look back in anger, wonderwall - meteoric, ensure they will be remembered forever.

Mostly self penned, but two or three excellent covers (Slade, Who, Beatles).

U2 - pile of ****e

leighinstoke
27-11-2006, 08:10 AM
This will make you smile: I was a trainee newspaper reporter in the late 1980s and used to do reviews of bands at Stoke 'one time' live music venue - The Wheatsheaf. They used to get all types through the doors - and many new bands or ones who were trying to get themselves established.

(I also did the big gigs at our nearby Victoria Hall and usually got some good interviews too - though I was often in awe of the artists - but came in handy as usually got the girlfriend in with me - a bonus when I had no cash to take her out - gee I knew how to live!)

Anyway - this night the band of three turned up - late - half drunk already and were moaning about the venue, the fact they didn't have much room, etc, and then played two 'ok' sets.

It was also customary for the bands to mingle in between sets but this band didn't - they just went outside with drinks, fags, etc.

Well - I wrote a bad review - calling them too miserable for Stoke and saying they could with cheering up a bit even though the music was ok and sounded different though they probably wouldn't be a major success and forever be playing pubs and similar venue.

The bands name - Oasis of course!

I now eat my words when I think back.

Leigh....

superspindiscos
27-11-2006, 08:17 AM
2 of the best albums of all time in morning glory, and definetly maybe, dozens of stand out singles make them one of the best bands of the 90's easily.

admiteldy some of there later work was not as good, and they came along on the brit-pop rollercoaster at the right time but i failt to see how they are over-rated and by whom...

live forever....

BeerFunk
27-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Definitely one of the biggest bands ever - their first 2 albums haven't been beaten by any rock 'n' roll band to this day!

I do agree about their later work, but the material between 1994 and 1997 alone has made them legendary.

U2 are even better - the only album I've heard which is better than The Joshua Tree is Radiohead's OK Computer

superspindiscos
27-11-2006, 09:49 AM
great album ok computer but always think it gets slightley over-rated - ie best album of all time poll's.... to me its an album full of good tracks but theres no one immortal track on there like live forever on definetly maybe, or wonderwall on morning glory...

BeerFunk
27-11-2006, 09:54 AM
great album ok computer but always think it gets slightley over-rated - ie best album of all time poll's.... to me its an album full of good tracks but theres no one immortal track on there like live forever on definetly maybe, or wonderwall on morning glory...
Karma Police? Paranoid Android? Let Down is my personal favourite..

Also, I would definitely not have picked out Wonderwall or Live Forever as the stand-out tracks! I'd probably go for Champagne Supernova and Supersonic, but there you go.. ;)

Corabar Steve
27-11-2006, 11:27 AM
I played Cigrettes & alcohol on Saturday to great response

colinm345
27-11-2006, 03:33 PM
I played Cigrettes & alcohol on Saturday to great response

During another one of your fag breakss???:D

Corabar Steve
27-11-2006, 03:43 PM
In between :)

Practicing your Gollum impression Colin?

colinm345
27-11-2006, 04:41 PM
:) :) Gollum impression ??:D

Corabar Steve
27-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Fag breakss Preciousss

colinm345
27-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Fag breakss Preciousss

Should have read Fag Breaks but,we all know that anyway??:D

Corabar Steve
27-11-2006, 08:31 PM