PDA

View Full Version : Best moments of being a DJ

iany
26-11-2006, 01:41 AM
I love it when I put 'Oops Upside Your Head' on, and all the women flash their knickers at you as they get down on the floor if they've got skirts or dresses on!
Don't know why they always face the DJ - but hey, who cares!
Always puts a smile on my face!
Bliss.
:p

dannyboy
26-11-2006, 01:46 AM
One of the best moments has to be the end of the night (Not the going home!!!)

People stood there waiting to tell you what a cracking night they have had.

Good comment are definatly my best momment!!

(Or you have a extreamely Poo singer on the karaoke who thinks he is an entertainer)

Steve 'B'
26-11-2006, 02:01 AM
I find that most nights, no matter how well you do you hardly ever get a thanks. DJ's tend to get forgotten once the music has stopped. If you dont play an extra hour, you get a load of hassle from all these people who have been dancing all night. It really ****es me off when no one say thanks, but yes i must agree, when you do get a thanks, its very nice.

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-11-2006, 03:39 AM
I love it when I put 'Oops Upside Your Head' on, and all the women flash their knickers at you as they get down on the floor if they've got skirts or dresses on!
Bliss.

Maybe something you should keep in your head, rather than broadcasting it?:eek: :rolleyes:

Ricesnaps
26-11-2006, 08:37 AM
I find that most nights, no matter how well you do you hardly ever get a thanks. DJ's tend to get forgotten once the music has stopped. If you dont play an extra hour, you get a load of hassle from all these people who have been dancing all night. It really ****es me off when no one say thanks, but yes i must agree, when you do get a thanks, its very nice.
Too true - the English tend to be much better at complaining than saying thanks. I had a storming night last night - full dance floor from the first track, well up for it crowd and some fantastic tunes. Yet with 10 minutes to go, one of the guests (who had been quite active on the dancefloor), handed me a note and walked out:

"You are the worst DJ I have come across and don't know how you have the cheek to do these parties. You never played any decent music and didn't play the tracks in full anyway"

I threw it away and enjoyed the round of applause and numerous thanks from the rest of the guests!

But back on thread, I think I had a "best moment" last month. In Huntingdon, wedding and had a fellow local DJ with me for the night (hope you got past the pimped up Corsa's last night if you're reading this!), mixing up a storm and dropped Darude "Sandstorm" only to hear the aformentioned DJ shout "LASER" from behind me - how right he was!

Danno13
26-11-2006, 12:42 PM
One of the best feelings for me is when you get that sudden inspiration for a track to play next that you wouldn't normally play, sometimes you'd be taking a bit of a chance playing it, but when it works and the crowd go mad then its great!

canary karaoke
26-11-2006, 12:54 PM
to true danno13 played Clock - oh what a night - last night didn't even know i had it or what inspired me to play it but boy did they run on the dance floor. I was buzzing all night after that

axeman
26-11-2006, 03:38 PM
i love the adoration and respect, when you are patted on the back at the end of a great night!

great thread - im gonna play clock tonight too !!

leighinstoke
26-11-2006, 03:47 PM
I actually value being wished 'good night' by people at the end of a gig - and it's usually people who haven't danced, often the older members of the crowd too...

Leigh....

ross@rds
26-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Got to be when the night finishes and people come up and say they have had a great night. At the end of the day thats why we do this job.

spin mobile disco
26-11-2006, 05:52 PM

Havent really had this problem myself, i amost always get thanks from croud at end of night. Maybe its down the the area's we all gig. Im midlands but when i used to play south coast you didnt get many people saying thanks.

Maybe its just an area effect problem lol

As for all the requests for one more song, if i gave in to them i would never go home. Finish on the dot or you'll never get out.

robbiedj
26-11-2006, 09:14 PM
My best moment ................... yes, people thanking you and a floor full of happy punters is great.

But the best is when we are playing the two shows we do each year for the local mentally-handicapped group.

Seeing members we know are severely retarded or autistic enjoying the music and dancing is brilliant, and they (and especially their carers) ALWAYS thank us at the end of the evening.

The feelin you get knowing that you have given them a good time is beyond words.

Have a disco
26-11-2006, 09:30 PM
when people stop worrying about theyre drink as well as catching up with the gossip and actually start dancing / moving to the music makes me greatful Im doing the job right on the night oh and being paid in cash Luverly jubberly

Excalibur
26-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Got to be when the night finishes and people come up and say they have had a great night. At the end of the day thats why we do this job.

That is I think why we all do this, there is nothing to match the feeling of wellbeing knowing that all those people have had a wonderful time mainly because of you.:D

BeerFunk
26-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Is this the self-boosting ego thread? :D

iany
26-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Is this the self-boosting ego thread? :D

It was actually intended to highlight parts of being a DJ that put a smile on your face. Y'know, little perks of the job.
Gotta be careful though, Mary Whitehouse is alive and well and a member of MDD, so I can't mention young ladies and skirts.

BeerFunk
27-11-2006, 12:09 AM
It was actually intended to highlight parts of being a DJ that put a smile on your face. Y'know, little perks of the job.
Yeah, I know, it was a tongue-in-cheek comment! ;) :p

Perks of the job, well I get to play some really great music that you just don't hear enough of these days! How often do you turn on the radio and hear a great track, like Katrina & The Waves - Walking On Sunshine? :D

pulsemobiledisco
27-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Going back to the comments about people thanking you at the end of the night. Well, I have just got in from DJ'ing at a transvestite convention. They were some of the nicest people I have met.

Very freindly, bought me drinks all night, had a really good night, played some classic cheese, massive round of applause at the end and had them queeing up to thank me. That has got to be the best part of the job by any means.

Even by the end of the night I could not get used to men dressed as women talking to me in deep male voices. But if they are happy thats all that matters!

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Gotta be careful though, Mary Whitehouse is alive and well and a member of MDD, so I can't mention young ladies and skirts.

Perhaps you are getting me confused with DJU my friend.

Again, I will say, that is the sort of comment you would probably be better off keeping in your head, instead of coming over as some sort of perve looking up womens skirts.

Candybeatdiscos
27-11-2006, 08:29 AM

well i think the best perk of the job has been meeting my gorgeus wife at a gig....can't get any better than that....

even though we have now been married for 5 years so perhaps losing her to some other poor sod would perhaps be better lol

Corabar Steve
27-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Quite a good thread from such a dubious start.

Bliss.
Colud all members please remember:

Please remember the Forum is viewable by guests (How may bookings will that remark cost you?), & is supposed to be FAMILY FRIENDLY

dj steady
27-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Getting paid.....:eek: :D :eek: .....L.O.L. but seriously the praise and recognition at the end of an evening behind the decks...

Shaun
27-11-2006, 05:52 PM
I actually value being wished 'good night' by people at the end of a gig - and it's usually people who haven't danced, often the older members of the crowd too...

Leigh....

Absolutely. :)

Anyone can get the majority of the party-goers up enjoying themselves. Getting a 'thank you' from the guests who don't normally like attending discos makes the job worthwhile to me. :o

djgordyp
27-11-2006, 06:10 PM
One thing that will always stick in my mind (maybe not really a perk as such) is, beleive it or not, getting a cup of tea or coffee at the end of the night. The reason it sticks in my mind so much is because sadly it only ever happened at one hotel we used to do.

At the end of the night, wether it be a wedding in the main function room or a party in one of the smaller rooms, before we even had got time to switch anything off the night porter would be over asking if we were taking tea or coffee. Beleive it or not that cuppa was much appreciated.

Jiggles
27-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Mine was when i was doing a 50th wedding anniversary:D Free food and plenty of free soft drink :D:D

Corabar Entertainment
27-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Which reminds me.... the hotel where Steve did his gig last night might be in a bit of hot water with their client today...... at the end of the night, she came up to Steve to ask how he enjoyed his meal. Steve's response ""What meal?" - turns out that they had asked for and paid for a meal for Steve that he should have had when they were having theirs!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Still, very nice of them to think of him! :)