PDA

View Full Version : XOver Freq Setup

pulsemobiledisco
29-11-2006, 09:36 PM
I think I may have the crossover freq setup incorrect on my Behringer crossover as I have blown the internal crossover in my subs twice now.

Would be very gateful if some one could give me an idea of what freq to to set it at. I have attached a picture of the crossver freq know for reference.

My tops have a freq response of 50HZ - 18Khz
My subs have a freq response of 48Hz - 4khz

Really greatful for any help received

Cheers

Sam

Danno13
29-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Usually somewhere between the 60 and 120, exactly like you have it. Although, those Behringers aren't entirley accurate so what you see on the dial isn't the actual figure its crossing at. Its something you have to adjust by ear really though as it depends on so many things.

Its highly unlikely it will be the reason for blowing the speakers. How well are the amps matched, are you overdriving or (worse) underdriving the subs?

pulsemobiledisco
29-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Usually somewhere between the 60 and 120, exactly like you have it. Although, those Behringers aren't entirley accurate so what you see on the dial isn't the actual figure its crossing at. Its something you have to adjust by ear really though as it depends on so many things.

Its highly unlikely it will be the reason for blowing the speakers. How well are the amps matched, are you overdriving or (worse) underdriving the subs?

I actualy used to have it set at about 200, but turned it down while experimenting this evening.

The subs are rated at 8Ohm 400W RMS 800W Program.

The amp driving it is kicking out 400W a channel into an 8Ohm load. Is this OK or should there be a bit more headroom, ie more power.

Danno13
29-11-2006, 10:08 PM
A bit more headroom would be good, but not essential really - the amp you've got shouldn't cause a problem.

Have you noticed the amp clip at all? Any loose/short connections anyway?

pulsemobiledisco
29-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Yes, I have seen it clip sometimes when I run them on my QTX amp, so I drop the bass a bit on the eq. Funny thing is, both my amps are rated at 400W RMS per channel into 8OHM. One is a QTX the other is a Miltec, the QTX clips and the Miltec does not, can you explain that, I can't!

All cables and plugs have been checked and are OK.

Cheers

Sam

Danno13
29-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Ok, well if the bass amp is clipping then try turning the "low output" on the crossover down a bit. You never want to see clipping on amps, that's probably what has caused the speakers to blow.

Amps are tested in different ways to get their RMS readings, which explains the differences. Also the true continuous power also depends on alot of other things inside the amp.. and obviously some amps have better components etc.

HTH

TonyB
30-11-2006, 02:59 AM
Do you have the low cut button pressed in? might help a bit if it is on (pressed in). If you only use the subs with a bi amped set up, it would probably sound a lot better without the crossovers. I took my out and the sound dramatically improved.

pulsemobiledisco
30-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Do you have the low cut button pressed in? might help a bit if it is on (pressed in). If you only use the subs with a bi amped set up, it would probably sound a lot better without the crossovers. I took my out and the sound dramatically improved.

I only ever run the tops from one amp and the subs from another. Presume this is what you mean by biamp.

Do you mean take the crossover's out of the subs?

Sam

TonyB
30-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Yes, I mean take the crossover's out of the the subs. The passive crossover in the subs will reduce the damping effect of the amp which is why it is better not to have one if you have an active crossover.

Paul James Promotions
30-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Yes, I mean take the crossover's out of the the subs. The passive crossover in the subs will reduce the damping effect of the amp which is why it is better not to have one if you have an active crossover.

Yes, do that.

super-hero
04-12-2006, 12:07 AM
You really don't need 2 crossovers.

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-12-2006, 12:33 AM
You really don't need 2 crossovers.

Did anyone say you did then?:confused:

pulsemobiledisco
04-12-2006, 01:09 AM
OK, this weekend made my mid up. Gonna take the crossovers out the subs, as it went again. The crossovers are made by eminence, the solder on the coils seem to disintigrate with the bass. A bit rubbish really.