PDA

View Full Version : Here's what the 'big boys' play...

Silver
02-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Reading the Daily Mail weekend magazine there's an article about festive season parties, what to wear, eat, hangover help etc. One section was about music and I quote "original superstar DJ Pete Tong guarantees that the following 12 tunes are dance floor fillers.....important words DANCE FLOOR FILLERS!

1. Can you feel it?...Todd Terry
2. Pump up the jam...Technotronics v's Kurd Maverick
3. Love story...Layo and Bushwacka
4. Body language...Mandy
5. Most precious love...Blaze
6. More Intensity...Pete Tong/Chris Cox
7. City of blinding light...U2
8. Goodbye stranger...Supertramp
9. Give it up...The goodmen
10. Song 2...Blur
11. Good life...Inner city
12. Same man...Till west.

Ok, There's 2 yeh just 2 tracks on the list I play, most of them I've never heard of, would you play these tunes at Christmas party to guarantee to fill the floor?

Oh well, best go and get another bottle of Sanatogen http://planetsmilies.net/sad-smiley-8171.gif

Corabar Steve
02-12-2006, 10:38 AM
One for me unless you count original versions of remixes.

Silver
02-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Steve, what amazed me is it was in the Daily Mail mag, not quite the mag you'd expect the young set to read. Probably the vast majority of their readers have never heard of PT!

Had it been in the Sun or Star etc. fair dues.http://planetsmilies.net/confused-smiley-17424.gif

leighinstoke
02-12-2006, 01:03 PM
What a load of drivel. I can just see people sitting down even now if I played any of those tracks....and I think I've got 4 of them - since when has U2 been 'dance'?

Leigh....

A1DL
02-12-2006, 02:24 PM
What a load of drivel. I can just see people sitting down even now if I played any of those tracks....and I think I've got 4 of them - since when has U2 been 'dance'?

Leigh....

Paul Oakenfold's remix of "Even better than the real thing", now that is a quality dance tune :)

Silver
02-12-2006, 02:46 PM
I find it absolutely astonishing, no other words. Where is PT coming from? I can see the office party organisers rushing to itunes to download them all for thier i pods.........but how many of them would they find on itunes!http://planetsmilies.net/shocked-smiley-9449.gif

CRAZY K
02-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Reading the Daily Mail weekend magazine there's an article about festive season parties, what to wear, eat, hangover help etc. One section was about music and I quote "original superstar DJ Pete Tong guarantees that the following 12 tunes are dance floor fillers.....important words DANCE FLOOR FILLERS!

1. Can you feel it?...Todd Terry
4. Body language...Mandy
6. More Intensity...Pete Tong/Chris Cox
7. City of blinding light...U2
8. Goodbye stranger...Supertramp
9. Give it up...The goodmen
10. Song 2...Blur

Ok, There's 2 yeh just 2 tracks on the list I play, most of them I've never heard of, would you play these tunes at Christmas party to guarantee to fill the floor?

Oh well, best go and get another bottle of Sanatogen http://planetsmilies.net/sad-smiley-8171.gif

I wonder if this is for people who are disco clubbers ?

Like most people at Office parties---not:bang:

I agree with all the comments, never mind having any of the tracks I only recognise 3 of the "bands"

Pete Tong---who he?

Obviously not Mobile DJ for Weddings or Xmas parties---I wonder which Xmas parties he is covering--does it say?

CRAZY K

Thames Valley Discos
02-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Pete Tong---who he?

are you serious?

axeman
02-12-2006, 04:02 PM
thats why pete tong is ryhming slang for wrong

Discodaz
02-12-2006, 04:40 PM
thats why pete tong is ryhming slang for wrong

Darn! You beat me to that one!

leighinstoke
02-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Paul Oakenfold's remix of "Even better than the real thing", now that is a quality dance tune :)

Paul who? :D ;) :D

Leigh.....

BeerFunk
03-12-2006, 01:10 PM
And odd selection it is, I think he must have had 'one of those moments' :)

soundtracker
03-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Methinks Mr Tong may be attempting to be rather "precious" in his selections, this is all about being the "trend-setter" - somewhat pathetic- of course we all know its gonna be the usual suspects that do it, the same as they do week in, week out!

Danno13
03-12-2006, 03:47 PM
10. Song 2...Blur

I think these are the only ones i've ever played. Don't play any of them particularly regularly though...apart from mabye Pump up the Jam, but I use the Technotronic Vs DONS mix.

Silver
04-12-2006, 03:16 PM
10. Song 2...Blur

I think these are the only ones i've ever played. Don't play any of them particularly regularly though...apart from mabye Pump up the Jam, but I use the Technotronic Vs DONS mix.

Show Off!!! The best anybody else could manage was 2 and that was me AND I was telling porkies, wanted to sound HIP! http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-10209.gif

theoloyla
04-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Pete is an old friend and I respect him and his musical knowledge totally and for the sort of gigs he is likely to do it is possibly an accurate list - I wouldnt know - but for the sort of Xmas parties I am doing every night it would not work at all - but then I wouldnt expect Pete to be doing my sort of gigs. At one time I worked in Gullivers when it was in Down Street. Graham Gold was upstairs doing a fantastic job of playing and mixing funk, soul and disco. I was downstairs playing pop. I couldnt entertain his crowd as well as him and he couldnt entertain my crowd as well as me. Like others I am amazed that this list appeared in the Daily Mail. There is also a theory that if you pay a small fortune for a trendy star dj and then get sloshed on bollinger you'll dance to anything he plays because you think it is trendy to do so. Over the year I have come to the conclusion that people are sheep and many of them have as much musical taste as a hamster. Its about fashion not music. As a dance teacher it is amazing how many people have absolutely no sense of rhythm; so what are they going to know about music?

colinm345
04-12-2006, 03:43 PM
For once Theo I must agree with you:) :D

Have a disco
04-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Hmm I read the mail and this is the weirdest list Ive seem in yonks not what I would call floor fillers

lets see if this was pete tongs list I garuntee all were remixes or special versions for him

1. Can you feel it?...Todd Terry got depends on crowd but works
2. Pump up the jam...Technotronics v's Kurd Maverick got & works
3. Love story...Layo and Bushwacka got works
4. Body language...Mandy got may play but not essential
5. Most precious love...Blaze got depends on crowd
6. More Intensity...Pete Tong/Chris Cox not even heard of strange for me?
7. City of blinding light...U2 not likely to play
8. Goodbye stranger...Supertramp not likely to play
9. Give it up...The goodmen got works
10. Song 2...Blur got but hardly liable to play
11. Good life...Inner city got works
12. Same man...Till west got not essential

Was pete tong strung out or stoned when he did the interview

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Well my take on it is....

1. Can you feel it?...Todd Terry - I have this and played it to death when it was out, although I thought Todd Terry was the producer and not the artist.
2. Pump up the jam...Technotronics v's Kurd Maverick - Played the original to death
3. Love story...Layo and Bushwacka - Played once I think
4. Body language...Mandy - Never heard of it
5. Most precious love...Blaze - Played on Saturday
6. More Intensity...Pete Tong/Chris Cox - Never heard of it either!
7. City of blinding light...U2 - Got it, never played it
8. Goodbye stranger...Supertramp - Never heard it
9. Give it up...The goodmen - Another one I played to death in the early to mid 90s
10. Song 2...Blur - Played this a lot to student crowds and still goes well with the right age group
11. Good life...Inner city - Another song I played loads when it came out and still goes well in an 'old school' set
12. Same man...Till west. - Never heard of...

BeerFunk
04-12-2006, 11:24 PM
The track is by Todd Terry, CLS is just one of Todd Terry's many aliases, which is the alias he used for that tune. Great tune, features on Fatboy Slim's On The Floor At The Boutique

I have to say, whether or not I would play them, they are all waaay down in the pecking order of tunes I would play!

Corabar Steve
05-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Over the year I have come to the conclusion that people are sheep and many of them have as much musical taste as a hamster.
Like this one?