PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Help?

Ricesnaps
06-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Just about to move house....

Called PlusNet who provide my broadband and they want £53 to transfer my service. Funny though, I can cancel my service and just pay the remainder of the month to them and take out a new service with a new provider, sign up for 12 months and the new service will cost me nothing!

So wondered who you guys would recomend. I am currently provided with:

2mb connection (up to 8mb where available)
unlimitted downloads
cost - £14.99 / month

I have no interest in email addresses - have those sorted with my domains, I already have a wireless hub and all that, so no need for free equipment.

I am not in a cable area, so it has to be a phone line provided service. i have a mobile phone with more free calls on it that you can shake a stick at, so I very rarely use the home phone to make calls, I aint bothered with internet phone calls.

Generally, we browse and surf about 3 - 4 hours a day, email a little and once or twice a month upload changes to our web sites. Other than that the main use is music downloads - about 10 - 50 tracks a week depending on the gigs.

Have seen a company called "Eclipse" who seem to have a reasonable £14.99 package, but anyone got any suggestions?

Stormin' Si
06-12-2006, 10:18 AM
We had lots of trouble with PlusNet and subsuquently cancelled our service with them (our download speeds were on par with 56K modem speeds).

We had to pay £40 to cancel and the rest of the contract fee.

We are now on Demon, and haven't had a single problem yet.

Ricesnaps
06-12-2006, 10:48 AM
We had lots of trouble with PlusNet and subsuquently cancelled our service with them (our download speeds were on par with 56K modem speeds).

We had to pay £40 to cancel and the rest of the contract fee.

We are now on Demon, and haven't had a single problem yet.
Had a look, but didn't want to spend nearly £20 when I have a service for £14.99

The PlusNet day to day service is fine, but we had problems when we moved last time and seems we will have similar issues this time - think it's time to go elsewhere

CRAZY K
06-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Had a look, but didn't want to spend nearly £20 when I have a service for £14.99

The PlusNet day to day service is fine, but we had problems when we moved last time and seems we will have similar issues this time - think it's time to go elsewhere

Did you consider Talk talk

I think its £20 per month including the "free" phonecalls---but I pay an extra £10 per month cos I live "in the sticks":confused:

Has been very reliable---just dont ever try ringing them when you have got the service --

CRAZY K

Ricesnaps
06-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Has been very reliable---just dont ever try ringing them when you have got the service --

CRAZY K
Which is what would put me off I'm afraid

Stormin' Si
06-12-2006, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't touch TalkTalk either! Way too many horror stories!

Have a disco
06-12-2006, 02:31 PM
have been with AOL for over 10 years and they have never caused me any grief platinium is £29.99 gold £19.99 silver is £14.99 I have the top package which gives me 8mg and ability to stay online 90% of day all bar BT breakers afraid you occasionaly get shunted ofline but in general no problems they even have anti virus and spyware back ups as well which work well with your other packages think both are mc afee based all for extra 2.99 ish a month

will repeat have never had any major gripes in over 10 years with aol....

CRAZY K
06-12-2006, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't touch TalkTalk either! Way too many horror stories!

WELL GUYS--if you think about it--- if you have an existing set up that works well all Talk talk do is switch you over---in fairness( unusual for me) I have had NO problems with Broadband at all in 2 years on talk talk, I got switched over and thats it--never had a problem on Broadband with anyone come to think of it---only on dial up years ago.

In reality as long as your computer is working reasonably ok and you know how to set up passwords, instal diallers etc you shouldnt be frightened off.

If you run a disco you must be reasonably computer savvy????

CRAZY K
TRAINEE BRAIN SURGEON

Candybeatdiscos
06-12-2006, 02:55 PM
i hasve BT and love it to be honest - never had a problem, free internet phone allows for free/cheap calls etc

Corabar Entertainment
06-12-2006, 03:00 PM
I think that the closest equivalent service to the one you have (ie 2Mb, no frills, £14.99 pm, unlimited use) would be Tiscali. I have no experience myself, but a few of my friends are with them and have not had any problems. Have a look here:-

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband/2mb-unlimited.html?code=ZZ-NL-11GK

TonyB
06-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Just about to move house....

Called PlusNet who provide my broadband and they want £53 to transfer my service. Funny though, I can cancel my service and just pay the remainder of the month to them and take out a new service with a new provider, sign up for 12 months and the new service will cost me nothing!

So wondered who you guys would recomend. I am currently provided with:

2mb connection (up to 8mb where available)
unlimitted downloads
cost - £14.99 / month

I have no interest in email addresses - have those sorted with my domains, I already have a wireless hub and all that, so no need for free equipment.

I am not in a cable area, so it has to be a phone line provided service. i have a mobile phone with more free calls on it that you can shake a stick at, so I very rarely use the home phone to make calls, I aint bothered with internet phone calls.

Generally, we browse and surf about 3 - 4 hours a day, email a little and once or twice a month upload changes to our web sites. Other than that the main use is music downloads - about 10 - 50 tracks a week depending on the gigs.

Have seen a company called "Eclipse" who seem to have a reasonable £14.99 package, but anyone got any suggestions?

Have a look at http://www.dslzoneuk.net/ who give reviews of the different broadband providers. I've just changed providers and liked the sound of Eclipse but they have some poor reviews. They were taken over by Kingston Communications and the service seems to have gone down hill with poor support and traffic shaping (they slow down the connection at busy times).

I changed to Newnet and haven't had a problem.

If there is no existing broadband connection at the place you are moving to, most broadband providers will charge a connection fee which is usually around £50. It is only free to change providers if you have an existing broadband connection and you migrate to new provider at the same property.

Jiggles
06-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Im with orange £14.99 2MB - 8MB Cheap :D

No Connection fee

Corabar Entertainment
06-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Just another thought Ricesnaps..... you don't have Sky do you? If you do, they are offering free broadband with their packages

NeilP
06-12-2006, 03:29 PM
DON'T TOUCH TISCALI.

I'm not just saying that as i work with a competitor, it's because their service is naff and the customer service is even worse!

Just to add my bit into the services being offered!

With UWDC you can get.....

Broadband Lite £14.99 2Mbps with 2GB download
Broadband Standard £17.99 up to 8Mbps with 40GB download
Broadband Max £22.99 up to 16Mbps with Unlimited download

or to combine with the telephone:-

Broadcall
From £19.99 (depends on your exchange) up to 8mbps and 40Gb download, includes Free Weekend Calls to UK landlines (with the ability to upgrade to totally free anytime calls to UK landlines.

Broadcall +
From £24.99 (depends on your exchange) up to 8Mbps and Unlimited Downloads with Free Wireless Router and the same Free UK Landline Calls at Weekends (with the ability to upgrade to free anytime calls to UK Landlines.

www.pigginsimple.co.uk and click on the Home Services Icon for more details.

Oh, NONE of these services have any contract with them, so if you don't like it - cancel it!

Neil.

TonyB
06-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Im with orange £14.99 2MB - 8MB Cheap :D

No Connection fee

I was with Orange but didn't like the email they sent out advising that you have to give 30days notice if you want to move and they would charge for a MAC if you didn't use the first one.

I was also paying £17.00 for their 2GB service which was originally charged by Freeserve/Wanadoo and thought they would automatically reduce the price to £14.99 which is there current rate but they would only reduce the price if I agreed to another 12 month contract.

Newnet is £12.95 for 3GB download limit and I have the flexibility of paying a bit extra if I want more up to 15Gb so I only pay for what I use.

Its worth considering moving to Newnet and phoning up Orange for a MAC (migration code). They will offer to match the price so you can then decide if you really want to move or stay with Orange at a cheaper price! (depending if you are locked into a 12 month contract or not).

kilmeedyman
08-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Well I moved over to Sky earlier in the year and was one of the first to register. This meant I was caught up as one of the 100,000 requests to transfer that BT dumped 'en block' without reference to previously promised transfer dates.

Apart from that, the service has been superb ever since (and very fast).

If you have Sky (no matter how basic the package) you get 2mb broadband for free, including a 104Mb Netgear wireless router - although there is a £40 installation charge.

There is an 8Mb service with £40 installation fee and £5 per month.

If you go for the 16Mb Unlimited package, as I have, there's no installation charge but it costs £10 per month. Still a very good price!

My dad and brother have both recently had the 2Mb free service installed and it works fine for them. In fact they didn;t have someone in to install it, they did a self install, which is an option.

dannyboy
08-12-2006, 12:22 AM
I have a mobile contract with Orange which gives me the 8mb 2gig limit for free.

But you have the option of paying £5 a month for unlimited download limit, which I have and is great.

Been with them since freeserve dial up (Before broadband was avilable)

Never had any problems.

Ricesnaps
10-12-2006, 07:13 AM
Just to update - now moved into the new house, but Plus Net were going to charge us £50 to cancel the service, so as it was £53 for the house move, we have stayed with them. However, have to wait till mid week for it to kick in, so currently connected via GPRS on my mobile usine the work laptop in the box filled dining room waiting for a plumber to look at the water pooring out of the ceiling in the living room - not a happy bunny!

CRAZY K
10-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Just to update - now moved into the new house, but Plus Net were going to charge us £50 to cancel the service, so as it was £53 for the house move, we have stayed with them. However, have to wait till mid week for it to kick in, so currently connected via GPRS on my mobile usine the work laptop in the box filled dining room waiting for a plumber to look at the water pooring out of the ceiling in the living room - not a happy bunny!

Sorry to hear of your plumbing problem --I am currently doing my own plumbing as I cant get any plumbers interested at this time of year.

If I can give any temporary advice or help let me know

best wishes

CRAZY K
DIY PLUMBER

Jiggles
10-12-2006, 10:00 AM
I am currently doing my own plumbing CRAZY K
DIY PLUMBER

I take it your going to be installing a Swimming pool in your house :D

Ill get my coat:D

CRAZY K
10-12-2006, 12:32 PM
I take it your going to be installing a Swimming pool in your house :D

Ill get my coat:D

Just a bit of central heating work--sounds like Rice is the one with the internal swimming pool:eek:

CRAZY K

Dragonfly
08-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Thought I'd just ressurect this as due to me being a slight hot head I now have to find another internet provider ..... just had a blazing row with AOL only just managed to be civil and not swear which is not like me , so i was wondering if anyone could suggest a good package with anyone , this thread is a bit old but I didnt want to start a new one ......I used the search facility lol........ i thought about sky as I have tv with them at the top package ... does anyone use them.

I have 30 days to set something up many thanks in advance ladies and gents.

DJWilson
08-08-2008, 02:08 PM
What was the matter?

AOL are really good with us, after one year we phoned them up and they urgraded our speed for free, and gave us an offer of unlimited free calls to UK landlines but it had limited downloads so we phoned again and got another upgrade with unlimited downloads :D

Its only £15.99 a month :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Thought I'd just ressurect this as due to me being a slight hot head I now have to find another internet provider ..... just had a blazing row with AOL only just managed to be civil and not swear which is not like me , so i was wondering if anyone could suggest a good package with anyone , this thread is a bit old but I didnt want to start a new one ......I used the search facility lol........ i thought about sky as I have tv with them at the top package ... does anyone use them.

I have 30 days to set something up many thanks in advance ladies and gents.

Dave

Go for the free Sky package and see how you get on.

I have it here as my backup broadband and for the kids to use the wireless bit with the laptop and it's fine.

2Mb may not seem like a particularly fast speed, but for general surfing it should be fine.

I'm with Virgin for the business stuff and they have just upgraded me to 10Mb, but to be honest, the only time I have noticed is when I am downloading songs etc. General surfing is no different as far as I'm aware.

Dragonfly
08-08-2008, 02:24 PM
What was the matter?

AOL are really good with us, after one year we phoned them up and they urgraded our speed for free, and gave us an offer of unlimited free calls to UK landlines but it had limited downloads so we phoned again and got another upgrade with unlimited downloads :D

Its only £15.99 a month :)

they recently swapped to virgin media .......

we got a letter last month addressed to my wife ...... the broadband has ALWAYS been in my name and we have no idea how virgin media even got hold of my wifes name ??????

they said we were in arrears of 40 quid as swapping companies the direct debit had not carried across ..... totally cack in my opinion but ok ..... set up another one and gave my card details over to pay the arrears .

Today ..... get a second letter ....... STILL in my wifes name (still no idea where they got that from???) for £80 they had very nicely added late charges no payment had been taken last month despite card details being taken ???? and as some know im not working at the moment so 80 quid in one month that wasnt on the budget is a huge amount !! so i said well its not payable in one month sorry , as it's your willy up can i spread that over a few bills ............ NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO .... The best they could do was 44 quid off my card ..... and then my direct debit ...... NEXT WEEK !!!!! by my calculations and unless much like the person i spoke to i have turned into a retard over night thats still 80 quid in a month !!!!! DOH !!!!

im having one heck of a bad day today sadly they are not the only pratt ive spoken to today . Anyway thought i'd get the ball rolling with a new provider needs to be quite quick and i spend alot of time on it as you all know lol.

DJWilson
08-08-2008, 02:29 PM
they recently swapped to virgin media .......

Thats strange about the swap over, my mum hasn't recieved a letter from AOL/Virgin.

Good luck in finding a new ISP, I duno if you've heard of them, uwclub? there quite popular around here so some reason.

Vectis
08-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Out here in my particular part of the world we have two choices - BT or TalkTalk.

I was with BT for a few years because it wasn't until very recently that the exchange was unbundled, and because of my distance 512K was the best I could get for something like £30 a month :eek: It was very temperamental with the slightest breeze on the wires causing dropouts.

Switched to TalkTalk on the office fax number because it was FREE with their cheapest bundle and we now get around 3 meg rock-steady and after a few months of zero hassle I've had the BT one removed.

We now have a local WiMax provider offering 8 meg wireless for about £25 a month - that's my backup in case TalkTalk goes down the pan.

But so far so very good!

One Vision
08-08-2008, 03:16 PM
have been with AOL for over 10 years and they have never caused me any grief platinium is £29.99 gold £19.99 silver is £14.99 I have the top package which gives me 8mg and ability to stay online 90% of day all bar BT breakers afraid you occasionaly get shunted ofline but in general no problems they even have anti virus and spyware back ups as well which work well with your other packages think both are mc afee based all for extra 2.99 ish a month

Thousands of others say otherwise, I cant say as far as this week goes what they are like as everybody I know or have dealt with who have had AOL only report nightmares and say getting shut of AOL is the best thing they ever did.

DJWilson
08-08-2008, 03:23 PM

Did you get the Email about the unlimited free calls? If not ring them up then your'll get them and a free faster speed if your not already top

Thousands of others say otherwise, I cant say as far as this week goes what they are like as everybody I know or have dealt with who have had AOL only report nightmares and say getting shut of AOL is the best thing they ever did.

Only problem I have had was when there Server went done and all there engerineers tryed sorting it out, took about and day, but only problem ive had. All the others are because BT made quite a few errors

One Vision
08-08-2008, 03:32 PM
DON'T TOUCH TISCALI.

I'm not just saying that as i work with a competitor, it's because their service is naff and the customer service is even worse!
Neil.

Yes Tiscali has been through some rough times over the past 12 months or so.
I have been with them for about 4 years now and in general has been decent as far as connecting etc. However its a good job I know the ins and outs of setting up BB as their support is naff.

I am in two minds to go with Sky but from what I have seen it takes quite a while to be setup (about 1 month) apparently, so have been put of a little with that.
But as far as service and customer service goes they seem to be spot on and fast too.

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-08-2008, 03:36 PM
I had no problem with Sky and the router came fairly quickly, but then I still have my cable service, so didn't have to swap over to ADSL.

One Vision
08-08-2008, 03:47 PM
I had no problem with Sky and the router came fairly quickly, but then I still have my cable service, so didn't have to swap over to ADSL.

Maybe they have speed ed the process up a little?
I may look in to it over the weekend.

I dont seem to see much from Orange, its strange as the original hosts Freeserve were one of the best, then it was Wanadoo then Orange but seem to have lost it somewhere?

DJWilson
08-08-2008, 03:49 PM
I used to have Wanadoo Dial-Up which is well good (not really the speed but everything else) then since it changed to organe dial-up it all went willy up

Dragonfly
08-08-2008, 04:28 PM
thanks guys i think ill give sky a try i have my tv package so hopefully it wont be a total pain to change overi'll give them a ring for a chat i think? see if i can con a sky plus box out of them too.

Vectis
08-08-2008, 04:30 PM
thanks guys i think ill give sky a try i have my tv package so hopefully it wont be a total pain to change overi'll give them a ring for a chat i think? see if i can con a sky plus box out of them too.

Start the conversation by threatening to leave. That'll get you some goodies :D

One Vision
08-08-2008, 04:39 PM

The best of luck mate, let us know how you get on as am interested in moving to sky, but couldnt cope with a long setup time.

Marc J
08-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Thought I'd just ressurect this as due to me being a slight hot head I now have to find another internet provider ..... just had a blazing row with AOL...

You're not alone Dave, apparently AOL has lost 2.8m subscribers in the past year alone...see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7546357.stm

To be honest I can't stand AOL, their a law unto themselves as far as email goes, and their report as spam feature is seriously flawed (from a host's POV).

I did that with Virgin Media and halved my bill (for the same services) :D

P.S. Dave - is your email working? ;)

Vectis
08-08-2008, 05:23 PM
I did that with Virgin Media and halved my bill (for the same services) :D

Free HD box and six months half-price for the nearly-top package (we don't do sports :p ) with no obligation. :beer1:

BeerFunk
08-08-2008, 05:41 PM
I am tempted by Sky, but haven taken the bait just yet (would involve more than my broadband changing)

I have literally never met a happy AOL user (happy about the service, not things in general :))

Dragonfly
08-08-2008, 05:42 PM

worked with sky tv ;) :D :D :D :D

NeilP
09-08-2008, 12:51 AM
Good luck in finding a new ISP, I duno if you've heard of them, uwclub? there quite popular around here so some reason.

Which? Magazine voted UWCLUB 2nd in the UK for Best Broadband Supplier (1st place went to Zen who are massively more expensive) and also Best Line Rental and Call Charge supplier for the 3rd year in a row.

Plus.... Award Winning Customer Service, Unlimited UK calls 24/7, All your utilities on 1 monthly bill (have i bored you yet?:D ), No Connection Fee, No minimum term contract etc etc

Yes, i am a Distributor for them
Yes, i have also been a happy customer for 5 years
Yes, i will get commission if you join through me!:beer1:

PM me if you want more info!