PDA

View Full Version : Career advice needed!

Annie G
14-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Hi Everyone!

I have never done anything like this before but I saw this web site and thought you all might be able to give me some good advice! At the moment I'm working in a bank (a job I hate!) but I have always wanted to be a DJ and work for myself. My friends and family all tell me I would be great at it. I'm mad about music and I continuosuly annoy DJs at clubs and weddings etc by going up to them and telling them what they should be playing!
How did you lot all get started? I have absolutely no idea how to get things off the ground! I need some advice as to what I should be doing to get things started. Financially I'm not in a position to do anything at the moment but I would love to hear all your sucess stories and I'm sure they would point me in the right direction!

Thanks guys :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Hello Annie

Welcome to the forum.

Have a read around the forum as there's plenty of advice goiing! You may want to be a bit more specific about what you want to know.

DJ Frankie
14-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Welcome to the forum Annie

Hopefully you will find loads of info here for you. All the best.

I'm mad about music and I continuosuly annoy DJs at clubs and weddings etc by going up to them and telling them what they should be playing!

Hopefully once your up and running this wont happen to you, there is nothing worse. ;)

axeman
14-12-2006, 02:13 PM
I continuosuly annoy DJs at clubs and weddings etc by going up to them and telling them what they should be playing!

I think i've met you ....lol ....

welcome to the forum, I would recomend you tag a long with a dj first get to know how much work is involved, the equipment is sometimes difficult to set up, especially if it's heavy and you are needing it to be upstairs quickly.

Corabar Steve
14-12-2006, 02:25 PM
:welcome2: :welcome1: :approve: :beer3:

Have a read around the forum as there's plenty of advice goiing! You may want to be a bit more specific about what you want to know.

Yep!

Mossy
14-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Hi Annie

Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried asking a local DJ if he would take you out on a job with him, that way you could spend all night telling him what to play ;)

Mossy

ian8limelight
16-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Welcome aboard Annie.

andyw
16-12-2006, 12:02 PM
hi annie
the advice about going out with another dj is spot on.you will see how annoying people can be keep coming up and telling you what you should be playing(just kidding)do that and you will get the feel for things offer to roadie for free and someone can show you the ropes.while you are doing that you can start saving for your equipment.get the best sound system you can afford then worry about lights.you can add to your lighting and build it up as you go along.also remember you will need back up gear you could go out and buy brand new equipment tomorrow and it could go wrong next week.iwould also recomend you take out pli to protect yourself.
andy

AMD Entertainment
21-12-2006, 12:21 AM
you say that you tell the dj what he should be playing??? oh the bain of my life...

lol

welcome to the forum...being a newbie to the forum, but 20 plus years on the circuts....i would say that you need to think what kind of DJ you hope to be, whats your budget for equipment? giving up a day job to go straight into this can be a culture shock especially if you have never done the patter on the mic and you will have to at some stage!

give us some specifics to go by and i will try and help out!

djchunky
21-12-2006, 06:18 PM
hello annie welcome to the mad house